Welcome to my forum connected to countdownmemories.com

Discuss everything COUNTDOWN and beyond!

Countdown Episodes * 70s & 80s Australian Music Programs * Music Video * Molly
Trading *  Collecting * Archival Information * Record/CD releases and more .........

COUNTDOWN IS BACK THIS JANUARY, 2019 ...  ON rage !!!!!
Stay tuned below with regular Countdown full archival information for each Countdown episode rage shall be airing every Saturday throughout January ...

Countdownmemories.com forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
rage are airing their very first top 20 chart from April 1987 this weekend!

Confirmed on Facebook, it will be this chart:

13-Apr-87 1 Boom Boom (Let's Go Back to My Room) PAUL LEKAKIS
13-Apr-87 2 The Final Countdown EUROPE
13-Apr-87 3 I Knew You Were Waiting (for Me) GEORGE MICHAEL & ARETHA FRANKLIN
13-Apr-87 4 C'est La Vie ROBBIE NEVIL
13-Apr-87 5 Everything I Own BOY GEORGE
13-Apr-87 6 Witch Queen CHANTOOZIES
13-Apr-87 7 We Connect STACEY Q
13-Apr-87 8 Male Stripper (12") MAN 2 MAN MEET MAN PARISH
13-Apr-87 9 Don't Give Up PETER GABRIEL & KATE BUSH
13-Apr-87 10 She's the One COCKROACHES
13-Apr-87 11 You Keep Me Hangin' On KIM WILDE
13-Apr-87 12 Real Wild Child (Wild One) IGGY POP
13-Apr-87 13 Livin' on a Prayer BON JOVI
13-Apr-87 14 Walk Like an Egyptian BANGLES
13-Apr-87 15 I Wanna Wake Up With You BORIS GARDINER
13-Apr-87 16 We Gotta Get Out of This Place ANGELS
13-Apr-87 17 What's My Scene HOODOO GURUS
13-Apr-87 18 Bizarre Love Triangle NEW ORDER
13-Apr-87 19 Pressure Down JOHN FARNHAM
13-Apr-87 20 Shake You Down GREGORY ABBOTT

Stacey Q!!

Re: rage are airing their very first top 20 chart from April 1987 this weekend!

Male Stripper and Boom Boom are rare clips. Are they digging out the original broadcast tape or are they reconstructing it?

They probably kept copies of all their guest programming as they were able to replay the Malcolm McLaren hosting special from 1996 when he died. Maybe they have the Top 50's on file as well.

I asked earlier on the Facebook page about 'Boom Boom'. Apparently they can't air the 'video' (the Discoring performance that was aired here) due to copyright reasons, so it will be the Countdown dancers clip again... though they said this time that they've edited out the bit of 'Male Stripper' that comes before it.

It will be interesting to see if they air the 'Male Stripper' video rather than Countdown dancers; I hope so.

Likewise I hope the other rarer videos are not Countdown rips.

As for 'keeping copies' of their guest programming, if you meant the playlist (and not necessarily all of the old videos per se), I remember someone (Jason?) asked on the rage guestbook (or maybe it was the web forum) whether they still had all those pre-1998 playlists that aren't on the website, and the moderator at the time said that yes they do, but they're all on paper only. The moderator also said something about how they don't have time to type them all up and add them to the website, but that the person asking the question was welcome to come to their studios and offer to do it for them . I would be actually happy to oblige to do some of it, but if they meant at the Sydney studios, which they probably did, that wouldn't be easy.

PS I assume for the re-screening of Malcolm McLaren's guest programming from 1996 in 2010 that they just dug out his introduction segments and re-created the playlist using their current digitised copies of the videos, rather than re-airing the original broadcast.

I remember the Moderator of the website forum saying they only just found a copy of Malcolm's 'Deep In Vogue' video at the last minute (I think the Friday before it aired), when Jason (I think) was asking about it. That would imply they don't keep reels of the full guest programming episode including the videos selected.

We'll be able to find out just from the font they use for their titles. In the early days it was chunkier and only listed the artist but not the song title.

Rage should play old Top 50's all the time - or at least for the weeks Retro January is on.

Once again, they could fill up space left on the other ABC channels with rare clips, Top 50's, Countdowns, etc. So much potential......

I'd prefer old top 50's not to impinge on retro month (though one a year wouldn't be too bad I suppose), given that they often contain quite common clips in the upper regions.

I wouldn't object to them playing the new entries, starting from 1987, each week though as a Vault segment.

rage aired a top 60 between September 1990 and March 1994 (excluding March-June 1991 when it reverted to a top 50), too. As an avid chart follower from that time, I used to love seeing the 51-60 segment, which wasn't published on the printed top 50 ARIA charts available in stores.

Turns out I was a week off... I think the chart I previously posted was the following week.

20. BOY GEORGE Everything I Own ()
19. GREGORY ABBOTT Shake You Down ()
18. CAMEO Word Up (Polydor)
17. BON JOVI Living On A Prayer (Mercury)
15. COCKROACHES She's The One ()
14. IGGY POP Real Wild Child (Universal)
13. JOHN FARNHAM Pressure Down (Sony)

09:00am

12. KIM WILDE You Keep Me Hangin' On (Warner)
11. STACEY Q We Connect ()
10. BORIS GARDINER I Wanna Wake Up With You ()
THE 9. ANGELS We've Got to Get Out Of This Place (Mushroom)
8. NEW ORDER Bizarre Love Triangle (Festival)
7. CHANTOOZIES Witch Queen (Mushroom)
THE 6. BANGLES Walk Like An Egyptian (Fest/Mush)

09:30am

5. KATE BUSH AND PETER GABRIEL Don't Give Up (Virgin)
4. ROBBIE NEVIL C'est La Vie (EMI)
3. EUROPE The Final Countdown (Epic)
2. PAUL LEKAKIS Boom Boom - Countdown Dance-Off (Polydor)
1. GEORGE MICHAEL and ARETHA FRANKLIN I Knew You Were Waiting For Me (Arista)

Here's the rest of the top 50 from that week (which I have dated as 6th April 1987):

21 Is This Love ALISON MOYET
22 Don't Need a Gun BILLY IDOL
23 Keep Your Hands to Yourself GEORGIA SATELLITES
24 A Touch of Paradise JOHN FARNHAM
25 What's My Scene HOODOO GURUS
26 What You Get is What You SeeTINA TURNER
27 Something in My House DEAD OR ALIVE
28 It's in the Way That You Use it ERIC CLAPTON
29 The Right Thing SIMPLY RED
30 Miracle of Love EURYTHMICS
31 Don't Dream it's Over CROWDED HOUSE
32 To Be a Lover BILLY IDOL
33 French Kissin' in the USA DEBBIE HARRY
34 Midnight Blue LOU GRAMM
35 Funkytown PSEUDO ECHO
36 Good Times JIMMY BARNES & INXS
37 Somewhere Out There LINDA RONSTADT & JAMES INGRAM
38 You Give Love a Bad Name BON JOVI
39 Coming Around Again CARLY SIMON
40 Hold On MODELS
41 All I Ask of You CLIFF RICHARD & SARAH BRIGHTMAN
42 Hold Me COLIN JAMES HAY
43 Ever Fallen in Love FINE YOUNG CANNIBALS
44 Everybody Have Fun Tonight WANG CHUNG
45 Infected THE THE
46 World Where You Live CROWDED HOUSE
47 True Blue JOHN WILLIAMSON
48 The Future's so Bright I Gotta Wear Shades TIMBUK 3
49 It Didn't Matter STYLE COUNCIL
50 Jacobs Ladder HUEY LEWIS & THE NEWS

ohnoitisnathan
Turns out I was a week off... I think the chart I previously posted was the following week.

20. BOY GEORGE Everything I Own ()
19. GREGORY ABBOTT Shake You Down ()
18. CAMEO Word Up (Polydor)
17. BON JOVI Living On A Prayer (Mercury)
15. COCKROACHES She's The One ()
14. IGGY POP Real Wild Child (Universal)
13. JOHN FARNHAM Pressure Down (Sony)

09:00am

12. KIM WILDE You Keep Me Hangin' On (Warner)
11. STACEY Q We Connect ()
10. BORIS GARDINER I Wanna Wake Up With You ()
THE 9. ANGELS We've Got to Get Out Of This Place (Mushroom)
8. NEW ORDER Bizarre Love Triangle (Festival)
7. CHANTOOZIES Witch Queen (Mushroom)
THE 6. BANGLES Walk Like An Egyptian (Fest/Mush)

09:30am

5. KATE BUSH AND PETER GABRIEL Don't Give Up (Virgin)
4. ROBBIE NEVIL C'est La Vie (EMI)
3. EUROPE The Final Countdown (Epic)
2. PAUL LEKAKIS Boom Boom - Countdown Dance-Off (Polydor)
1. GEORGE MICHAEL and ARETHA FRANKLIN I Knew You Were Waiting For Me (Arista)

No 16 was Male Stripper. It is listed on the Rage playlist website but I am guessing that they are not playing it judging by the list you have found. Maybe it will just get a brief title like they used to do for clips they didn't have or couldn't play in that time slot. I remember they rarely ever had any Pearl Jam clips in the mid 90's Top 50.

Guru Bob

No 16 was Male Stripper. It is listed on the Rage playlist website but I am guessing that they are not playing it judging by the list you have found.

The playlist I copied and pasted here was, I assume, an early version (perhaps published prematurely?), as besides missing #16 (which is now on the playlist), it didn't have the record company listed for Stacey Q and Boris Gardiner, and a few others I think (they're there now). Hopefully it's the 'Male Stripper' video and not the Countdown dancers - although they've specified that for the Paul Lekakis song, so hopefully it's not as they haven't specified it for 'Male Stripper'.

uber excited! Looking at the rest of the chart from 21-50, I wish they did the Countdown from 50-30.

I saw rage reply to someone who said would be good if rage went back to The Top 50 and not just Top 20 for the current charts. Their reply was these days there are songs that don't have videos and videos that are rated M these days that they can't show in the PG timeslot. Fair call I say. Hint to video makers, clean up your act!

Also, when did the rage Top 50 start? Surely it didn't start in April '87. I'm guessing this is a reconstructed chart just recently put together.

I asssume this is a one off Retro Top20.

ie. This is the 1st chart from when RAGE started I assume.

Simply to coincide the re-introduction of the 2015 charts in the morning timeslot.

Disappointing! Countdown rips.

Michael

Also, when did the rage Top 50 start? Surely it didn't start in April '87. I'm guessing this is a reconstructed chart just recently put together.

I didn't first see/notice the top 50 on rage until early 1988. I remember seeing 'Heaven Is a Place On Earth' and 'I Should Be So Lucky' in the top 10, and the latter at #1.

The top 20 chart they aired is actually from the week *before* rage started. I don't know if that was deliberate, as the moderator posted that it had 'never aired before' as a reply on a post about it. Unless they aired the top 50 a week after the publication date in 1987? From when I started taking notice, it always aired the day before the 'week ending' publication date on the printed chart.

I especially got up at 8:15 to watch this and was disappointed how 'Everything I Own' pretty much started at the vocals, 'She's The One' Countdown performance and 'Male Stripper' no video. Not that I ever recall seeing a video of it before. I do have the video for 'Boom Boom' from musicmax about 8 years ago, so when I get this chart off the hard drive and record it onto disc, I'll add the musicmax clip instead of those awful Countdown dancers.

Michael
I especially got up at 8:15 to watch this and was disappointed how 'Everything I Own' pretty much started at the vocals, 'She's The One' Countdown performance and 'Male Stripper' no video. Not that I ever recall seeing a video of it before. I do have the video for 'Boom Boom' from musicmax about 8 years ago, so when I get this chart off the hard drive and record it onto disc, I'll add the musicmax clip instead of those awful Countdown dancers.

Hi Michael

Do you want the 20 videos on a DVD when I send my next 3 to you?

Hi Lee, I would be silly to say no! That would be great.
BTW - I still haven't forgotten your discs. I plan to do them over the Easter break. Promise!

If it is okay, I will do them in the same order as the playlist!!

ohnoitisnathan
I asked earlier on the Facebook page about 'Boom Boom'. Apparently they can't air the 'video' (the Discoring performance that was aired here) due to copyright reasons, so it will be the Countdown dancers clip again... though they said this time that they've edited out the bit of 'Male Stripper' that comes before it.

It will be interesting to see if they air the 'Male Stripper' video rather than Countdown dancers; I hope so.

Likewise I hope the other rarer videos are not Countdown rips.

As for 'keeping copies' of their guest programming, if you meant the playlist (and not necessarily all of the old videos per se), I remember someone (Jason?) asked on the rage guestbook (or maybe it was the web forum) whether they still had all those pre-1998 playlists that aren't on the website, and the moderator at the time said that yes they do, but they're all on paper only. The moderator also said something about how they don't have time to type them all up and add them to the website, but that the person asking the question was welcome to come to their studios and offer to do it for them . I would be actually happy to oblige to do some of it, but if they meant at the Sydney studios, which they probably did, that wouldn't be easy.

Hi Nathan, which videos do you consider the rarer ones?

definitely the same order as the playlist.

Lee

I meant the ones rage would never normally air/haven't aired in aeons (other than perhaps on a Countdown episode), like Stacey Q's 'We Connect', Gregory Abbott's 'Shake You Down', Boris Gardiner's 'I Want To Wake Up With You'.

ohnoitisnathan
Lee

I meant the ones rage would never normally air/haven't aired in aeons (other than perhaps on a Countdown episode), like Stacey Q's 'We Connect', Gregory Abbott's 'Shake You Down', Boris Gardiner's 'I Want To Wake Up With You'.

Oh I see mate, would you like any of these videos as well or do you have them all? I also have Paul Lekakis's video of Boom Boom nice and clean and PAL if you would like this one also?

Stephen
I asssume this is a one off Retro Top20.

ie. This is the 1st chart from when RAGE started I assume.

Simply to coincide the re-introduction of the 2015 charts in the morning timeslot.

I hope not!

As I've mentioned on their Facebook page, they should've included the "new entries" in the Top 50 at the time as well. In this case it would of been:

JACOB'S LADDER - Huey Lewis & The News
WORLD WHERE YOU LIVE - Crowded House
EVER FALLEN IN LOVE - Fine Young Cannibals

Lee

Oh I see mate, would you like any of these videos as well or do you have them all? I also have Paul Lekakis's video of Boom Boom nice and clean and PAL if you would like this one also?

I would love a copy of that! I've got 2 different copies, but they both have watermarks and other stuff plastered all over them (one from Video Hits, one from channel V or whatever it is [I don't have pay TV]).

Hi Nathan, can you please post the Aria Top 50 of the week that rage showed this Top 20. I did see you posted this on facebook a couple of weeks ago, but would love easy access here. Cheers.