Welcome to my forum connected to countdownmemories.com

Discuss everything COUNTDOWN and beyond!

Countdown Episodes * 70s & 80s Australian Music Programs * Music Video * Molly
Trading *  Collecting * Archival Information * Record/CD releases and more .........

COUNTDOWN IS BACK THIS JANUARY, 2019 ...  ON rage !!!!!
Stay tuned below with regular Countdown full archival information for each Countdown episode rage shall be airing every Saturday throughout January ...

Countdownmemories.com forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
retro week 3 - specific times

Sat night/Sun morning:

12:11 COUNTDOWN Oct 11th, 1981
1:08 A BIG COUNTRY Hush - Playing Second Fiddle
1:37 ANTENNA 30th Aug, 1984
2:06 ANTENNA 6th Jun, 1985
2:30 COUNTDOWN REVOLUTION 9th Feb 1990
2:59 KYLIE MINOGUE Give Me Just a Little More Time
3:02 COUNTDOWN REVOLUTION 29th Mar 1990
3:31 THE SUGARCUBES Cold Sweat
3:34 HITSCENE Jan 1st, 1969
4:03 COUNTDOWN Mar 8th, 1986
5:01 COUNTDOWN REVOLUTION 12th April 1990
5:30 SHAKESPEAR'S SISTER You're History
5:34 HIT SCENE Dec 5th, 1970

Re: retro week 3 - specific times

I am guessing that the Countdown Revolutions have Kylie Minogue, The Sugarcubes and Shakespeare's Sister on them judging from the clips that follow.

There are only 2 Countdowns but I enjoyed Antenna last week so they are probably as much a highlight as anything being shown this week. A Big Country doco on Hush should also be interesting.

A few years ago I helped get Jump Incorporated released on CD (they remastered my vinyl in America as they had lost the master tapes) so I will be happy to see their hosting although it doesn't have much in the way of live performances on that episode. There are also more items of interest on the 1986 Countdown than the 1981 for me. I liked some of V-Capri's work, a good little band from Perth whose following single, Nights & Days, was one of my favourite 1986 tracks.

Funny that they still won't play any 1972 Hitscenes, they are playing the 12th from 1969 and the 10th from 1970 but they have never shown any from 1972.

Overall it is a reasonable spread of eras and should please most people, even though I wouldn't mind an extra Countdown thrown in.

Three Sharon O'Neill clips on Saturday morning are a great highlight (and they will be shown on ABC 3 on Thursday without watermarks)

I'm pretty happy with this weeks line up, good to see a number of countdown revolutions, as these clocked in right at the end of my misspent childhood. Finding the GTKs and the Hitscenes a real YAWN though, but spose gotta keep everyone in the house happy. :)

At first I was a bit disappointed with the lineup, because I'm primarily interested in Countdown or 80s clips, and the 1981 and 1986 episodes aren't particularly exciting ones. Looking at the lineup a few more times though, I do appreciate the effort ABC are putting into covering a huge variety of "retro", from the oldest Hitscenes to the 1990 Countdown Revolutions.

The retro videos on Saturday morning are pretty good too, especially the Sharon O'Neill ones.
I wonder what version of Bruce Springsteen's "Hungry Heart" they'll play. Foxtel always played the 90s clip, which wouldn't fit the retro that well. I've never seen an original one from 1980.

Guru Bob
I am guessing that the Countdown Revolutions have Kylie Minogue, The Sugarcubes and Shakespeare's Sister on them judging from the clips that follow.

There are only 2 Countdowns but I enjoyed Antenna last week so they are probably as much a highlight as anything being shown this week. A Big Country doco on Hush should also be interesting.

A few years ago I helped get Jump Incorporated released on CD (they remastered my vinyl in America as they had lost the master tapes) so I will be happy to see their hosting although it doesn't have much in the way of live performances on that episode. There are also more items of interest on the 1986 Countdown than the 1981 for me. I liked some of V-Capri's work, a good little band from Perth whose following single, Nights & Days, was one of my favourite 1986 tracks.

Funny that they still won't play any 1972 Hitscenes, they are playing the 12th from 1969 and the 10th from 1970 but they have never shown any from 1972.

Overall it is a reasonable spread of eras and should please most people, even though I wouldn't mind an extra Countdown thrown in.

Three Sharon O'Neill clips on Saturday morning are a great highlight (and they will be shown on ABC 3 on Thursday without watermarks)

Hi Guru

I am hoping that it is the full video clip from Jump Incorporated. The 2nd March one was missing about 30 seconds at the end. This will be good for the 1986 Out Now DVD.

Also I have Nights and Days actual music video clip if you are interested? I can send it with the footy tapes if you like.

And also some Suzanne thrown in as well.

CU

Lee

Braddles
At first I was a bit disappointed with the lineup, because I'm primarily interested in Countdown or 80s clips, and the 1981 and 1986 episodes aren't particularly exciting ones. Looking at the lineup a few more times though, I do appreciate the effort ABC are putting into covering a huge variety of "retro", from the oldest Hitscenes to the 1990 Countdown Revolutions.

The retro videos on Saturday morning are pretty good too, especially the Sharon O'Neill ones.
I wonder what version of Bruce Springsteen's "Hungry Heart" they'll play. Foxtel always played the 90s clip, which wouldn't fit the retro that well. I've never seen an original one from 1980.

Hi Brad

What kind of 80's clips are you interested in? Aussies, US or UK or all?

Lee
Hi Brad

Hi Lee.
Definately all, I love most chart music from the 80s. US, UK, whatever. Particular faves would be the Aussie stuff from 84-86 - Koo De' Tah, Vitabeats, Pseudo Echo, Machinations, Real Life, Venetians, Do Re Mi, Kids In The Kitchen, Geisha, Sharon O'Neill, I'm Talking, and tons more. Some of it is on youtube but almost none of it is available to buy on DVD.

Not bad - 2 Countdowns / Antenna for the 80's and a couple of Hitscenes for the 60's. I enjoy the Hitscenes they are groovy! A handful of Flashez clips and it would be close to perfect.

Guru Bob

I think the episode from 1969 has been aired before back in January 2012. Rage displayed it as 'HIT SCENE January 1st, 1969' which is an error as the show didn't kick off until May 1969. Another Retro month and they still haven't shown any episodes from 1972.

Lee
Hi Guru

I am hoping that it is the full video clip from Jump Incorporated. The 2nd March one was missing about 30 seconds at the end. This will be good for the 1986 Out Now DVD.

Also I have Nights and Days actual music video clip if you are interested? I can send it with the footy tapes if you like.

And also some Suzanne thrown in as well.

CU

Lee

Hi Lee
I am also hoping for a longer version of Jump Incorporated.

Would love to grab a copy of the Nights And Days clip. V-Capri clips are very rare and they haven't been shown on TV since the 80's. I have only got That's The Way from VH1 from them, which would be their live Countdown performance but it is apparently their clip being shown on this episode so that will be a nice bonus. So if you could send Nights And Days that means I will gain 2 clips in a week.

They had 6 Australian Top 100 singles and 1 LP between 1985 and 1987 but none made the top 40.

I have got 4 of those singles:
 photo vcapri1_zps2d499553.jpg
 photo vcapri2_zps0956699f.jpg
 photo vcapri3_zps5f71c0ac.jpg
 photo vcapri4_zps9140e170.jpg

Hi again Guru

I also have the clip for Haunting Me so I will send that as well, as an extra bonus.

Braddles
Lee
Hi Brad

Hi Lee.
Definately all, I love most chart music from the 80s. US, UK, whatever. Particular faves would be the Aussie stuff from 84-86 - Koo De' Tah, Vitabeats, Pseudo Echo, Machinations, Real Life, Venetians, Do Re Mi, Kids In The Kitchen, Geisha, Sharon O'Neill, I'm Talking, and tons more. Some of it is on youtube but almost none of it is available to buy on DVD.

Hi Brad

You have very similar taste in me. I love the Aussie 80's. Thanks to Guru Bob who has got me hooked on the Aussie stuff!!

Jump Inc's "Sex and Fame" is actually on 1986 Way To Go, not 1986 Out Now.

Hey Lee, I think you also meant the 2/2/86 episode?

Dave

I think the episode from 1969 has been aired before back in January 2012. Rage displayed it as 'HIT SCENE January 1st, 1969' which is an error as the show didn't kick off until May 1969. Another Retro month and they still haven't shown any episodes from 1972.

Items dated Jan 1 are default dates if they haven't got the specific date recorded. As all the runsheets are known surely they could just match it up to the correct date by comparing the footage to the records.

Just have to hope they have more than one episode from 1969 with unknown date or it would be a repeat.

Lee
Hi again Guru

I also have the clip for Haunting Me so I will send that as well, as an extra bonus.

Brilliant.

They were quite big in WA but failed around the rest of the country so you would have a better chance of finding stuff over there.

Appreciate your efforts.

Rebecca Hetherington

Hi Lee, Is the "Nights and Days" clip the one I posted Facebook a couple of years ago? That was from a WA based clip show called "Trax". Have you got the "In My World" CD? I can make a copy if you like.

Antenna? WTF? I don't even remember that show. And it's not really a music show which means valuable airtime is wasted with chimney sweeps FFS. I want Rock Arenas instead!

Am I being too harsh?

Clip Magnet
Antenna? WTF? I don't even remember that show. And it's not really a music show which means valuable airtime is wasted with chimney sweeps FFS. I want Rock Arenas instead!

Am I being too harsh?

I found some (like a combined 5-10 minutes) of the Antenna episodes interesting, but yes I thought it was a bit much sitting through 90 minutes (those 2 episodes + the show on Hush) of predominantly interview segments about non-music stuff (roadies, feeding zoo animals, remote control aeroplanes and chimney sweeps) waiting for Countdown Revolution to start.

I agree, it would have been better to air a Rock Arena or something else. Even if the contents weren't exactly to my taste, it still would have been MUSIC.

I'm pretty sure the Hit Scene episode was a repeat too. Haven't watched it yet (not that interested either), but I definitely had an episode with that Shocking Blue clip on a 5 hour VHS tape I used to record a night of retro month in 2002 or thereabouts.

I hope there's no further 'long interview segments' for the final 2 weeks of retro month.

Agreed, Antenna was out of place for RAGE Retro month.