Welcome to my forum connected to countdownmemories.com

Discuss everything COUNTDOWN and beyond!

Countdown Episodes * 70s & 80s Australian Music Programs * Music Video * Molly
Trading *  Collecting * Archival Information * Record/CD releases and more .........

COUNTDOWN IS BACK THIS JANUARY, 2019 ...  ON rage !!!!!
Stay tuned below with regular Countdown full archival information for each Countdown episode rage shall be airing every Saturday throughout January ...

Countdownmemories.com forum
Start a New Topic 
1 2
Author
Comment
rage foes retro 2 POSSIBLE - 3 COUNTDOWN EPISODES

Okay... rage's latest "blurb"

Make sure you program your VCR to tape the second installment of RETRO MONTH this Saturday. We have have Countdown episodes hosted by Split Enz, Queen and everyone's favourite peroxided mullet Warwick Capper.

I am assuming both episodes I have pasted below cover Split Enz and Queen *

Year:1987
Date:14/6/1987
Show no:558
Summary: SHOW HOSTED BY WARWICK CAPPER (FROM FOOTBALL TEAM 'SYDNEY SWANS') AND CO-HOSTED BY MOLLY (WITH HAT). MOLLY PRESENTS 'MOLLY MELDRUM' SEGMENT WITH 'COUNTDOWN MAGAZINE' COMPETITION WINNER ANNOUNCED PLUS US & UK TOP FIVE SEGMENTS. BON JOVI CLIP SHOWN & FOOTAGE OF WINNERS OF COUNTDOWN TRIP TO US TO SEE THEM IN CONCERT. MOLLY IVS WARWICK AND SPECIAL GUEST TREVOR BARKER (ST KILDA
FOOTBALL CLUB) RE FOOTBALL.
LOCAL ARTISTS:
THE COCKROACHES 'SOME KIND OF GIRL' (43.55) (LIVE)
CATTLETRUCK 'LEAVE ME' (00.43) (LIVE)
LIME SPIDERS 'MY FAVOURITE ROOM' (26.05) (LIVE)
NIKKI NICHOLLS 'GIMME LITTLE SIGN' (13.00) (LIVE)
BOOM CRASH OPERA 'CITY FLAT' (31.19) (LIVE)
CAROL HITCHCOCK 'GET READY' (35.31) (AUSTRALIAN LIVING IN ENGLAND)
OVERSEAS ARTISTS:
DEACON BLUE 'DIGNITY' (4.15)
BREAKFAST CLUB 'RIGHT ON TRACK' (8.09)
BEASTIE BOYS 'NO SLEEP 'TIL BROOKLYN' (16.57)
BON JOVI 'WANTED DEAD OR ALIVE' (23.52)
U2 'I STILL HAVEN'T FOUND WHAT I,M LOOKING FOR' (46.47)
WHITNEY HOUSTON 'I WANNA DANCE WITH SOMEBODY' (56.00) (NO.1)
THE BIG SUPREME 'PLEASE YOURSELF' (40.11) (MOLLY MELDRUM ITEM)
SWING OUT SISTER 'BREAK OUT' (40.52) (MOLLY MELDRUMITEM)
LITTLE AMERICA 'WALK ON FIRE' (42.56) (MOLLY MELDRUM ITEM)
US TOP FIVE (16.09):
HERB ALPERT 'DIAMONDS' (NO.5)
GENESIS 'IN TOO DEEP' (NO.4)
WHITNEY HOUSTON 'I WANNA DANCE WITH SOMEBODY' (NO.3)
ATLANTIC STARR 'ALWAYS' (NO.2)
LISA LISA 'HEAD TO TOE' (NO.1)
UK TOP FIVE (29.49):
MIRAGE 'JACK MIX 2' (NO.5)
GEORGE MICHAEL 'I WANT YOUR SEX' (NO.4)
STARSHIP 'NOTHING'S GONNA STOP US NOW' (NO.3)
JOHNNY LOGAN 'HOLD ME NOW' (NO.2)
WHITNEY HOUSTON 'I WANNA DANCE WITH SOMEBODY' (NO.1)
NATIONAL TOP TEN (51.06):
MADONNA 'LA ISLA BONITA' (NO.10)
PRETENDERS 'HYMN TO HER' (NO.9)
HOODOO GURUS 'WHAT'S MY SCENE' (NO.8)
PAUL LEKAKIS 'BOOM BOOM' (NO.7)
MEL AND KIM 'RESPECTABLE' (NO.6)
CLUB NOUVEAU 'LEAN ON ME' (NO.5)
WORLD PARTY 'SHIP OF FOOLS' (NO.4)
STARSHIP 'NOTHING'S GONNA STOP US NOW' (NO.3)
DAVE DOBBYN 'SLICE OF HEAVEN' (NO.2) (FROM 'FOOTROT FLATS' MOVIE)

Year:1982
Date:25/04/1982
Show no:325
Summary:THE SHOW IS HOSTED BY MEMBERS OF SPLIT ENZ AND OPENING TITLES FEATURE MONTAGE SEQUENCE OF COUNTDOWN
AWARDS.LIVE STUDIO ITEMS:
SPLIT ENZ 'DIRTY CREATURE','HELLO SANDY ALLEN'
HEE BEE GEE BEES 'BORING SONG'
NUMBERS 'BIG BEAT'
SILENT MOVIES 'I CAN'T SAY NO'
OVERSEAS ARTISTS VIDEO CLIPS:
ASIA 'HEAT OF THE MOMENT'
FUN BOY THREE 'THE LUNATICS'
J GEILS BAND 'FREEZE FRAME'
JOAN JETT AND THE BLACKHEARTS 'I LOVE ROCK N ROLL'
CHARTBUSTERS:
JO KENNEDY 'BODY & SOUL'
MEN AT WORK 'BE GOOD JOHNNY'
TIGHT FIT 'THE LION SLEEPS TONIGHT'
TONI BASIL 'MICKEY'

Date:21/04/1985
Show no:459
Summary:THIS SHOW WAS HOSTED BY MEMBERS FROM QUEEN ROGER TAYLOR, DRUMMER, JOHN DEGAN, BASS PLAYER AND BRIAN MAY, GUITARIST WHO WERE IV BY MOLLY RE COMEBACK, TOUR, GREATEST MOMENT OF QUEEN.
LIVE STUDIO PERFORMANCES:
DRAGON 'SPEAK NO EVIL'
VITABEATS 'BOOM BOX'
VIDEO CLIPS:
AMADEUS MONTAGE (SYMPHONY 29 - MOZART)
QUEEN 'HAMMER TO FALL'
SIMPLE MINDS 'DONT YOU (FORGET ABOUT ME)'
U2 'A SORT OF HOMECOMING'
NIK KERSHAW 'WIDE BOY'
JOAN ARMATRADING 'TEMPTATION' (EXCERPT)
DAVID LEE ROTH 'JUST A GIGOLO'
TEARS FOR FEARS 'EVERYBODY WANTS TO RULE THE WORLD'
(ENDS SHOW)
CHARTBUSTERS:
REO SPEEDWAGON 'CANT FIGHT THIS FEELING'
PHIL COLLINS 'ONE MORE NIGHT'
PHIL BAILEY 'WALKING ON THE CHINESE WALL'
FRANKIE GOES TO HOLLYWOOD 'WELCOME TO THE PLEASUREDOME'
TOP TEN:
MADONNA 'MATERIAL GIRL'
BRUCE SPRINGSTEEN 'BORN IN THE USA'
GLENN FREY 'THE HEAT IS ON'
BILLY OCEAN 'LOVERBOY'
MODELS 'BARBADOS'
POINTER SISTERS 'NEUTRON DANCE'
TEARS FOR FEARS 'SHOUT'
DEAD OR ALIVE 'YOU SPIN ME ROUND (LIKE A RECORD)'
JIM DIAMOND 'I SHOULD HAVE KNOWN BETTER'
USA FOR AFRICA 'WE ARE THE WORLD'

STRANGLERS 'GOLDEN BROWN'
HUMDRUM ITEMS:
ANGELS 'LIVING ON THE OUTSIDE'
IGNATIUS JONES 'LIKE A GHOST'
SWANEE 'TEMPORARY HEARTACHE'
STING 'I SHALL BE RELEASED'
RED RIDER 'LUNATIC FRINGE'
TOP TEN ITEMS:
ROD STEWART 'YOUNG TURKS'
SPLIT ENZ 'DIRTY CREATURE'
SHAKIN STEVENS 'OH JULIE'
COLD CHISEL 'FOREVER NOW'
JOEY SCRABURY 'BELIEVE IT OR NOT'
J GEILS BAND 'CENTREFOLD'
ELTON JOHN 'BLUE EYES'
DEPECHE MODE 'JUST CAN'T GET ENOUGH'
MOVING PICTURES 'WHAT ABOUT ME'

Re: rage foes retro 2 POSSIBLE - 3 COUNTDOWN EPISODES

The Capper one is Episode 558 from 14/06/87 - never been screened since transmission so good news as well

I LOATHE 1987 Countdown episodes, so I am not that jazzed on it.

The 1982 and 1985's both haven't been played on rage since transmission as well

I'm not that fond of 1987 episodes either but sometimes you get some decent clips ("Right On Track") and I love looking at the late 80's fashions.

1982 looks good - love "Hello Sandy Allen" one of the best songs from Time & Tide.

Right On Track has been played to death , I think.

Anyhow ... Hopefully this will be the only 1987 episode and thank goodness Countdown ended when it did, even though I was shattered at the time!

I like 1987 music, but that does seem like a bit of a dull episode.

Jason, the last paragraph of your post belongs to the 1982 episode, not the 1985 one.

Given that there's just over 6 and a half hours of retro content this weekend (excluding the wasted 6-7am hour of new release videos), I wonder what they're going to fill the other 3 hours, 40 minutes with?

I have a soft spot for 1987 episodes. That was when I really got into watching Countdown and even though it is seen by many as the worst year of production, that was all I ever knew (including the last few months of 1986) Brings back memories of watching them the first time round.

Also, I'm surprised that they haven't aired the 12/4/87 episode hosted by Peter O'Brien (The Flying Doctors). A few years back they took a studio performance of 'Hold On' from it and played it on the James Freud/Models special. So, I'm assuming they cleaned up the whole episode?

I really don't care what episodes they play, as long as they are not repeats and they have a studio audience that goes off. Some episodes can be a bit boring (not that I would ever say Countdown is boring!) when there is no audience and just music videos.

Jason 'The Moderator'
Okay... rage's latest "blurb"

Make sure you program your VCR to tape the second installment of RETRO MONTH this Saturday. We have have Countdown episodes hosted by Split Enz, Queen and everyone's favourite peroxided mullet Warwick Capper.

I am assuming both episodes I have pasted below cover Split Enz and Queen *

Summary:THE SHOW IS HOSTED BY MEMBERS OF SPLIT ENZ AND OPENING TITLES FEATURE MONTAGE SEQUENCE OF COUNTDOWN
NUMBERS 'BIG BEAT'
CHARTBUSTERS:
JO KENNEDY 'BODY & SOUL'
TONI BASIL 'MICKEY'
HUMDRUM ITEMS:
TOP TEN ITEMS:
ELTON JOHN 'BLUE EYES'

You would definitely be right on the Capper and Queen episodes and I hope you are right about the 1982 Split Enz which hasn't aired.
Split Enz also hosted on November 20 1983 (shown 2011) and Sept 23 1984 (shown 2008) so I hope they don't repeat one of those, they also co-hosted the last show of 1980 which has been shown twice.

Overall if we get those three episodes I will be quite happy. Maybe we get Rock Arena, Hitscene and GTK for the other 3 hours as their earlier blurb said would be shown.

ohnoitisnathan

There would have been a couple better episodes from 1987 but as it hasn't been repeated I'm quite happy with it. I definitely missed seeing this episode at the time as I would have remembered Warwick.

Boom Crash Opera and Cattletruck live are good although I have copies of both performances.

My main interest will be Nikki Nicholls live - who was that?? I never heard of her.

Ooops Nathan,

I copied and pasted all over the place this time. Too late to fix, you get the gist

At Guru, I say that Split Enz episode from 1982 because I have been requesting it over and over so I am hoping they paid some attention (hehehe)

I hope it's back to 1980, 1981, 1982, 1983 and 1984 Countdown's for the rest of January. Another 1985, not bad and it features the HEAVENLY Vitabeats with Boom Box, I have this performance on Countdown from VH1 ... BUT ... will be nice to have it without the VH1 logo! This Countdown 1987 business is terrible, I really hope it's the last of 1987 ...

I CROSS MY FINGERS FOR THIS xxx

NUMBERS 'BIG BEAT'
CHARTBUSTERS:
JO KENNEDY 'BODY & SOUL'
TONI BASIL 'MICKEY'
HUMDRUM ITEMS:
TOP TEN ITEMS:
ELTON JOHN 'BLUE EYES'

Guru Bob
ohnoitisnathan

There would have been a couple better episodes from 1987 but as it hasn't been repeated I'm quite happy with it. I definitely missed seeing this episode at the time as I would have remembered Warwick.

Boom Crash Opera and Cattletruck live are good although I have copies of both performances.

My main interest will be Nikki Nicholls live - who was that?? I never heard of her.

At Guru,

I have no idea who Nikki Nicholls is either. Is it a cover of the same track Peter Andre did years later, I wonder ... hmmmmmmm ... That should be interesting to find out who she is and if it's any good .

I WISH WISH WISH that Carol Hitchcock performed Get Ready in the Countdown studio though I know she didn't, darrrrrrrrn ... It would have made the 1987 episode much better

Yes that is only 3 hours. I hope we get 3 Rock Arena's all Suzanne Dowling ones. I love her episodes. They are fantastic.

Lee
Yes that is only 3 hours. I hope we get 3 Rock Arena's all Suzanne Dowling ones. I love her episodes. They are fantastic.

Yes please to a Suzanne Dowling episode...or 3.

I would LOVE some Rock Arena this weekend outside of Countdown, but it will be filled with GTK, I guarantee

Some Rock Arena's with Suzanne D would be very welcome. A repeat of The Smiths episode would be great - had it on video but it's long gone

Jason 'The Moderator'
I would LOVE some Rock Arena this weekend outside of Countdown, but it will be filled with GTK, I guarantee

It is the 1982 episode of Countdown with Split Enz, so all three episodes of Countdown are good as none have aired on Rage before. A bonus one from 1987 thrown in as well so 4 Countdowns.

They are playing a brilliant episode of Rock Arena....but it is a REPEAT!!! This episode was shown just a few years ago in 2010. Don't they keep records of what they have shown? So many good episodes in the archives and we keep getting repeats.

I asked for some episodes of Antenna a few years back as I had some clips that had been taped from there, which is the only reason I knew of the show as I couldn't recall seeing it at the time. I'm probably the only one who will enjoy the Uncanny X-Men though as there is not a lot of love for them here.

Another repeat What a waste.

I suspect they don't have the same person/people putting retro together each year, and/or the rage team may have changed (my guess is it's likely) since then... and any lists they make of what's already been aired may not be passed on to the next employee.

.....and we get a 4th Countdown from 12 April 1987 hosted by Peter O'Brien I see - so 2 1987 eps in 1 night - lucky us (?!). At least it isn't a repeat though.

Seems like a good evening although I'm a little tired of them playing video clips in between shows - and common ones at that. Why not just slot in some Flashez segments or other small curios from the archives? Seems a shame they do so little with what they have.

Oh well, we've done well with Countdowns thus far - looks like with the 87 eps we'll be in a mullet meltdown....

Yes, the repeated common videos are so . They aired Tina Turner's 'Let's Stay Together' TWICE during retro month last year, and 'Break Ev'ry Rule' during retro month in 2009 from memory.

Both 'Message To My Girl' and 'History Never Repeats' have also been aired in previous retro months. And 'Horror Movie' about umpteen times, several of which during previous retro months as well.

It's almost like they dig out previous retro months playlists and go 'hmmm... what common videos can we repeat this time?'

Expect Pseudo Echo's 'Listening', 'Fooled Again', and 'Funky Town' to get yet another airing in the final weeks of retro month this year

I didnt even know the Rock Arena was a repeat but that is pretty silly if so.

There are so many unscreened rare video clips on archival segment tapes that could be screened during Retro Season, we havent had anything decent for a couple of years now, since the days of Mark Holden, Bonnie Tyler and David Essex. Not to mention all the film clips from within episodes of GTK. They just go with the same tired old stuff, which is the main reason I dont go near Rage for 11 months of the year.

Still, the Countdowns are all useful, 1987 not one of my favorite years and none are repeats. There are better episodes even from that year that they could have chosen.

4 new Countdowns and still 3 more weeks so overall we should be happy. The Rock Arena repeat is somewhat annoying though when there is so many that could be played.

^ Yep, and those videos you mentioned were aired in retro month 2013.

I too have felt that the last few years of retro month have been pretty underwhelming with the music video selections. It's obvious they're sticking to the 'play videos by artists hosting programs on Saturday night' theme for Saturday morning's retro hour, so expect more common-as-muck clips to come.

The 70's seem to be ignored more than ever now.

Obviously RAGE cannot locate the remaining Top100 episodes of Countdown from 76, or the tapes are damaged etc.

Only repeats of rage repeats of early countdowns in recent memory.

Isn't there more flashez and shows of that ilk.

I could care less for GTK, Hitscence etc, as I didn't really like the artists that appeared on those shows. Only a youngster at time anyway.

Unfortunately Rage have showed every available 70's Countdown episodes they have. I still like them to air the March 1978 Adelaide Festival episode though - even with the sound damage.

It would be wonderful if some lost Countdowns suddenly surfaced in the archives somewhere but it's highly unlikely by now.

Would love to see more Flashez though. I think there are 2 full Flashez episodes Rage have yet to air - they've played 4 so far over the years. But there are many individual Flashez segments they could easily show in place of the common music clips - would be far more interesting to watch.....

Michael
I have a soft spot for 1987 episodes. That was when I really got into watching Countdown and even though it is seen by many as the worst year of production, that was all I ever knew (including the last few months of 1986) Brings back memories of watching them the first time round.

Also, I'm surprised that they haven't aired the 12/4/87 episode hosted by Peter O'Brien (The Flying Doctors). A few years back they took a studio performance of 'Hold On' from it and played it on the James Freud/Models special. So, I'm assuming they cleaned up the whole episode?

I really don't care what episodes they play, as long as they are not repeats and they have a studio audience that goes off. Some episodes can be a bit boring (not that I would ever say Countdown is boring!) when there is no audience and just music videos.

Well done Michael. You requested the Peter O'Brien episode a couple of years ago and just mentioned it again yesterday and now you get your request.

With episodes that Jason (Split Enz), Christina (Steve Kilby) and myself (Koo De Tah) had also requested having been shown I guess they have a list of old requests still in their files. I hadn't requested anything this year due to Facebook being the avenue now. If not then I guess we are just lucky.

Here is a link to the last lot of request that I recall us putting in:
http://www2b.abc.net.au/tmb/Client/Message.aspx?b=164&m=10485&ps=50&dm=1&pd=3

Not sure who requested all the repeats and common clips though as I can't recall that ever occurring.

Guru Bob
Michael

Well done Michael. You requested the Peter O'Brien episode a couple of years ago and just mentioned it again yesterday and now you get your request.

With episodes that Jason (Split Enz), Christina (Steve Kilby) and myself (Koo De Tah) had also requested having been shown I guess they have a list of old requests still in their files. I hadn't requested anything this year due to Facebook being the avenue now. If not then I guess we are just lucky.

Here is a link to the last lot of request that I recall us putting in:
http://www2b.abc.net.au/tmb/Client/Message.aspx?b=164&m=10485&ps=50&dm=1&pd=3

Not sure who requested all the repeats and common clips though as I can't recall that ever occurring.

I am not overly happy with the common videos Gurubob but I am extremely happy with 50 Years. It would be nice to have a crisp videoclip of this song. Looks like I will be updating 1985 On fire for you guys.

Hey Guru

Is Antenna an Alternative Clip show or mainly Pop music videos from the 80's? At least there is something different being played.

And do you know when Antenna was shown for eg Which nights?

Never heard of Antenna so looking forward to seeing what sort of show it was. Also curious to see what Inside Story Once More Without Vocals is all about.

Re: Flashez - there are hundreds of segments in the archives. From about 2007 - 2010 Rage aired dozens of them but I haven't seen any in recent years. I haven't done so before but this year I will be definitely requesting some for next January. Scrap the oft repeated clips and sprinkle a few Flashez clips in between the Countdowns and Rock Arenas.

Holy S#$t! They are playing 12/4/87 episode after just mentioning it here a couple of days ago. I haven't mentioned it to rage for a few years now and I didn't request any Countdown episodes on facebook this year.

Gosh 3 hours of new releases. We could have a mini Rage 80's special in that length of time or at least 3 episodes of Suzanne.

And what in the world is Rage playing the Skyhooks again for. I know they were a great Aussie band but how many times do I have to see "You Just Like Me". They could play some other awesome 80's music videos like The Allniters or maybe Solid Citizens 2 videoclips. Surely it wouldn't be too hard for someone from the ABC to go through Jason's Countdown Archives and see what music videos are on each Countdown episode and grab some of them.

I suppose they have just lost 500 jobs. I am surprised we have an ABC at all!!

Since when has rage run til 9am Sunday mornings? 3hrs of new releases that will be shown tonight?

and I hate it when they play specials on artists when you can easily pick up a DVD of their videos in the shops. The exception to this would be an artists passing.

Michael
Holy S#$t! They are playing 12/4/87 episode after just mentioning it here a couple of days ago. I haven't mentioned it to rage for a few years now and I didn't request any Countdown episodes on facebook this year.

If it's not a coincidence, maybe they've denied my requests for retro month so far due to me slagging off the repeats and the common clips here

Ughhhh, a 2nd 1987 episode. How torturous, ah well... And added Countdown is always an extra Countdown to have. rage are playing my 1982 requested episode this weekend, YES!!!!!!

Why they are repeating the Rock Arena I don't know, ah dear ....

Lee
Hey Guru

Is Antenna an Alternative Clip show or mainly Pop music videos from the 80's? At least there is something different being played.

Antenna was actually a magazine style show aimed at kids after school as it aired at 4:30pm Thursdays in 1984 with repeats on Sunday mornings. In 1985 it was on at 5pm weekdays with Saturday morning repeats.

It was similar to Simon Townsend's Wonderworld on Channel 10 and Wavelength (with Jono and Dano) on Channel 9, which aired before and after that timeslot, although Wavelength was mostly music.

They showed music videos and had fashion, lifestyle and movie reviews - obviously slanted towards a younger audience. I've got a clip of Takeaways - Sweet & Sour off one episode with the Antenna credits coming up and a lady presenter saying something.

Lee
I am not overly happy with the common videos Gurubob but I am extremely happy with 50 Years. It would be nice to have a crisp videoclip of this song. Looks like I will be updating 1985 On fire for you guys.

I just watched the 4 recent DVDs that you did the other day (1980 - The Summer, 1984 - The Music, Just Hits 85-86 and 1986 Way To Go) and you do a brilliant job on those. I was amazed at how many clean logo free clips you tracked down. I like how you chose Rocky Burnette's Countdown performance over the actual fire engine clip and it was the first time I can remember seeing the complete clip for Time Bandits Endless Road with full intro and no logos.

Nikki Nicholls is a Melbourne based female artist who has toured & recorded with many bands & artists like John Farnham. In recent years she toured the Girls Girls Girls! music show with both Debra Byrne & Wendy Stapleton. I too never seen this Countdown but know of Nikki. She has often appeared on The Midday Show & Don Lane Show and had a couple or so one off singles during the 1980s which I'm guessing is what will be performed on this Countdown from 1987.

Guru Bob
Lee
Hey Guru

Antenna was actually a magazine style show aimed at kids after school as it aired at 4:30pm Thursdays in 1984 with repeats on Sunday mornings. In 1985 it was on at 5pm weekdays with Saturday morning repeats.

It was similar to Simon Townsend's Wonderworld on Channel 10 and Wavelength (with Jono and Dano) on Channel 9, which aired before and after that timeslot, although Wavelength was mostly music.

They showed music videos and had fashion, lifestyle and movie reviews - obviously slanted towards a younger audience. I've got a clip of Takeaways - Sweet & Sour off one episode with the Antenna credits coming up and a lady presenter saying something.

Lee

I just watched the 4 recent DVDs that you did the other day (1980 - The Summer, 1984 - The Music, Just Hits 85-86 and 1986 Way To Go) and you do a brilliant job on those. I was amazed at how many clean logo free clips you tracked down. I like how you chose Rocky Burnette's Countdown performance over the actual fire engine clip and it was the first time I can remember seeing the complete clip for Time Bandits Endless Road with full intro and no logos.

G'day Guru

Thanks heaps for the awesome information. I must admit I have never seen or even heard of Antenna. But mind you I did like Simon Townsend's show, so I am looking forward to watching this. And obviously it was popular enough to have repeats shown of it.

Thanks heaps for the kind words Guru, I love doing the compilations and I am more than pleased that you guys like them. If it wasn't for your music videos and some old Countdown's from Michael, I wouldn't have some of the clips and possibly half of the old albums wouldn't get done.
I didn't even know that Rocky Burnette had an actual video clip for his song, I only had the Countdown performance. The tricky thing is replacing the audio as some of those old VHS clips have pretty poor audio. But I have a good mate that helps me out if it gets too hard.
The Endless Road clip would have to be one of my favourite and an extremely rare video clip to find especially clean. There is that tacky one going around from the German CBS collection with a huge logo right in the middle of the video but the one I found is so much better.

I like the the years secret from you guys until you get the DVD's but I have just finished 1984 Shakin' and I have just started 1983 The Hot Ones. I think a 1981 album will be after that.

Yes, those DVDs are mind blowing! Guru, correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't Rocky Burnette's 'the fire engine clip', the video for 'Tired Of Toein' The Line'. I don't think there was an official video for 'Falling In Love' which is why Lee used the Countdown performance.

Michael
Yes, those DVDs are mind blowing! Guru, correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't Rocky Burnette's 'the fire engine clip', the video for 'Tired Of Toein' The Line'. I don't think there was an official video for 'Falling In Love' which is why Lee used the Countdown performance.

Yes you are right, I stand corrected as I was thinking of the wrong song. I just remember seeing that clip in the Countdown Top 10 so often but that would have been Tired Of Toein The Line. Thank god for live performances on Countdown.

I don't think there was a clip for Radiators - Revolution either but fortunately they performed it on Countdown which enabled the 1984 DVD to be completed.

Lee

Unfortunately 50 Years was played in 16:9 ratio so the watermark is on throughout. Don't Wake Me was 4:3 so that was good.

Jason 'The Moderator'
Ughhhh, a 2nd 1987 episode. How torturous, ah well... And added Countdown is always an extra Countdown to have. rage are playing my 1982 requested episode this weekend, YES!!!!!!

Why they are repeating the Rock Arena I don't know, ah dear ....

Hmmm yes, ..after a great start last week, a bit of a letdown this week with all those same old,same old garden variety filler clips, repeated Rock Arena and 2 boring 1987 eps.(Countdown had passed its use by date by then, imo).
Though dumb as dogsh*t Capper will be good for a laugh I guess.

As others have said, what a waste when Rage could be airing other previously unseen eps and rare gems from the vault.

The highlight of the night will be Jason's requested 1982 ep and perhaps the Antenna footage.

Would much prefer wall to wall Countdowns for retro month to celebrate its 40th B'day.

Hi Lee. I hope you don't think I'm a cheeky bugger for asking this as you don't know me, but these DVDs sound incredible, I've been looking for those compilations virtually since the 80s ended. I used to have the majority of them on vinyl, now sadly gone.
Is there any way I can get my hands on a copy or two?
Keep up the fantastic work mate.

Looking forward to Countdown tonight, especially the 1985 episode. Loved last week's Koo De' Tah episode.

Lee

G'day Guru

Thanks heaps for the awesome information. I must admit I have never seen or even heard of Antenna. But mind you I did like Simon Townsend's show, so I am looking forward to watching this. And obviously it was popular enough to have repeats shown of it.

Thanks heaps for the kind words Guru, I love doing the compilations and I am more than pleased that you guys like them. If it wasn't for your music videos and some old Countdown's from Michael, I wouldn't have some of the clips and possibly half of the old albums wouldn't get done.
I didn't even know that Rocky Burnette had an actual video clip for his song, I only had the Countdown performance. The tricky thing is replacing the audio as some of those old VHS clips have pretty poor audio. But I have a good mate that helps me out if it gets too hard.
The Endless Road clip would have to be one of my favourite and an extremely rare video clip to find especially clean. There is that tacky one going around from the German CBS collection with a huge logo right in the middle of the video but the one I found is so much better.

I like the the years secret from you guys until you get the DVD's but I have just finished 1984 Shakin' and I have just started 1983 The Hot Ones. I think a 1981 album will be after that.

Guru Bob

Unfortunately 50 Years was played in 16:9 ratio so the watermark is on throughout. Don't Wake Me was 4:3 so that was good.

It will be re-aired on Thursday night on ABC3, and should be without a watermark then. I can record it in letterboxed 4:3 then - presumably its original aspect ratio, although based on the full title *nearly* being in the 4:3 area, I assume it's one of those videos that aren't actually 4:3 or letterboxed 4:3 (i.e. 14:9 or something like that).

ohnoitisnathan
Guru Bob

It will be re-aired on Thursday night on ABC3, and should be without a watermark then. I can record it in letterboxed 4:3 then - presumably its original aspect ratio, although based on the full title *nearly* being in the 4:3 area, I assume it's one of those videos that aren't actually 4:3 or letterboxed 4:3 (i.e. 14:9 or something like that).

Hi Nathan

If you could record that would be awesome! The original video does have the black bars at the top and the bottom but none at the sides. Does this make a difference? I can upload for you the original clip and you can take a look?

I enjoyed Antenna ,not a big fan of the X-men but that was an interesting behind the scenes look at an up an coming rock band. Wish they'd played the entire 50 Years clip - that's a great one.

Thanks Lee.

Enjoyed last night's episodes, particularly April 1985.

The stand-alone clips from Tina Turner were great too, I haven't seen Break Every Rule or One Of The Living since the 80s. One Of The Living had been on Countdown, but I only caught Break Every Rule once in 1987, possibly on Rage, or as a prediction on Top 40 Video (channel 7 in Adelaide).
Neither video are on her compilation DVD either, I wonder if that's why they were chosen.

EDIT : Actually Break Every Rule IS on Simply The Best, but One Of The Living isn't, plus the DVD has a live version of We Don't Need Another Hero instead of the video, which was massively disappointing.

Braddles
Thanks Lee.

Enjoyed last night's episodes, particularly April 1985.

The stand-alone clips from Tina Turner were great too, I haven't seen Break Every Rule or One Of The Living since the 80s. One Of The Living had been on Countdown, but I only caught Break Every Rule once in 1987, possibly on Rage, or as a prediction on Top 40 Video (channel 7 in Adelaide).
Neither video are on her compilation DVD either, I wonder if that's why they were chosen.

EDIT : Actually Break Every Rule IS on Simply The Best, but One Of The Living isn't, plus the DVD has a live version of We Don't Need Another Hero instead of the video, which was massively disappointing.

I think the reason the music for the video 'We Don't Need Another Hero' isn't on her compilation, because it has moments from Mad Max 2 in it. They would have to get permission to use them and it will be more expensive,the same could be with 'One Of The Living', as it too contains scenes from the movie. I was disappointed about these not being on the video compilation as well.

The same thing goes with A-HA's 'Living Daylights' clip. It's not on their compilation DVD, but you can find it on the 'Living Daylights' movie DVD and Blu-Ray.

Gotta love 'The Numbers' performance where the Keyboardist isn't playing, but instead he is reading a book. The Drummer isn't using any Drum sticks, then later uses his hands to play them like bongo's. What was going with that?

Lee
ohnoitisnathan
Guru Bob

Hi Nathan

If you could record that would be awesome! The original video does have the black bars at the top and the bottom but none at the sides. Does this make a difference? I can upload for you the original clip and you can take a look?

I can capture it like that (bars top and bottom but none at the sides - well, when you play it on a computer or on a 4:3 TV), yes. I've got to grab Split Enz's 'One Mouth Is Fed' clip too from Thursday night's show, as I got a signal glitch in mine yesterday, so will record that repeat.

I'm trying to find an example of a letterboxed 4:3 clip I've recorded digitally from rage that I've uploaded to youtube, to show you, but I'm not having any luck finding one yet... will post here if I do.

At one point during the 1982 show I thought oh no it's Status "yawn" Quo - relieved to find out that it was Status Quid

Really enjoyed the Inside Story doco on Skyhooks. One of the highlights of the night for me. The recording studio was so 70's with lots of oranges and browns.

Hadn't heard that song by The Tribe - great song/video

Gary
I enjoyed Antenna ,not a big fan of the X-men but that was an interesting behind the scenes look at an up an coming rock band. Wish they'd played the entire 50 Years clip - that's a great one.

It was certainly a good insight into the groups beginnings.

Surprisingly or not, X-Men were never that massive in Australia.

They only had the one top 10 hit with 50 years.

I saw them live twice I think back in the mid 80s. They weren't a bad live act.

Just didn't have the long term commercial success they were hoping for.

I noticed on the 25th April 1982 episode that Molly said something about something happening (maybe an album release, though I guess not as it was a national public holiday) 'on ANZAC day', suggesting the show was filmed at least a day before it aired. I vaguely remember reading something here about the Countdown episodes being filmed on a Friday, is that right?

ohnoitisnathan
I noticed on the 25th April 1982 episode that Molly said something about something happening (maybe an album release, though I guess not as it was a national public holiday) 'on ANZAC day', suggesting the show was filmed at least a day before it aired. I vaguely remember reading something here about the Countdown episodes being filmed on a Friday, is that right?

Early on it was recorded on Saturdays but during the 80's I think it was mostly Fridays unless there were public holidays.

Here are a couple of ticket stubs that I have with dates on them:
Saturday May 27 1978
Friday Sept 5 1986 (Red Symons)
Friday May 1 1987 (Georgia Satellites)
Friday July 10 (Kylie Minogue)
 photo countdowntickets_zps0eabfaa0.jpg

1 2