Welcome to my forum connected to countdownmemories.com

Discuss everything COUNTDOWN and beyond!

Countdown Episodes * 70s & 80s Australian Music Programs * Music Video * Molly
Trading *  Collecting * Archival Information * Record/CD releases and more .........

COUNTDOWN IS BACK THIS JANUARY, 2019 ...  ON rage !!!!!
Stay tuned below with regular Countdown full archival information for each Countdown episode rage shall be airing every Saturday throughout January ...

Countdownmemories.com forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Rage Retro Wk.4 25/01/2014: Individual Timings

..and here we go for the final time this year. Countdown items in bold, Rock Arena in bold italic, and as is the norm, set your recorders a few minutes either side of what you need to record:

Note altered starting time by ABC - it's now confirmed for 10.57pm, so presumably it'll be an ABC Station ID, the Rage classification program warning, Rage theme, then to 10.58pm

10.58pm: Rocturnal - May 9th 1978
11.38pm: Hitscene - September 22nd 1970
12:07am: Rock Arena - April 24th 1984
12.46am: Countdown - March 15th 1981
1.41am: Countdown Magazine Promo - September 26th 1984
1.42am: Countdown - April 22nd 1984
2.36am: Countdown Magazine Promo - August 29th 1984
2.37am: Countdown - December 16th 1984
3.31am: We don't need another hero - Tina Turner
3.36am: Countdown - December 24th 1977
4.22am: Hitscene - August 21st 1971
4.48am: Looking out my back door - Creedence Clearwater Revival
4.51am: I put a spell on you - Creedence Clearwater Revival
4.55am: Heard it through the grapevine - Creedence Clearwater Revival
4.59am: Hitscene - October 10th 1970
5.26am: 25 - A History Of Atlantic Records 1948-1973
5.57am: Stand by me - Ben E. King
6.00am: All I have to do is dream - Bobby Darin and Petula Clark
6.02am: The first time ever I saw your face - Roberta Flack
6.07am: Fanfare for the common man - Emerson Lake and Palmer
6.16am: Ain't gonna bump no more - Joe Tex
6.20am: Satisfaction - Otis Redding
6.23am: You keep me hanging on - Vanilla Fudge
6.26am: White room - Cream
6.30am: Rage ends

Re: Rage Retro Wk.4 25/01/2014: Individual Timings

Why does Rock Arena only go for 39 minutes?

I didn't notice that Michael, who knows!!!!! Anything is possible when it comes to rage goes retro...

I know, it's a bit weird, thought I'd made a typo but yep, definitely 39 minutes long.

Maybe a short episode due to some other show that followed it at that time. Maybe the hockey?

Michael

Maybe a short episode due to some other show that followed it at that time. Maybe the hockey?

Close. The ABC started a late night comedy show called the Comedy Video Store and decided to axe 20min of Rock Arena to make room for it as it would also feature some pop clips. The ABC still closed at around 11:30pm at this stage and this meant the last one out could turn off the lights a little earlier. Most of the other stations ran to 1am.

Below is a program listing from around this time.

photo rockarena_zps26bf16a3.jpg

Guru Bob
Michael

Close. The ABC started a late night comedy show called the Comedy Video Store and decided to axe 20min of Rock Arena to make room for it. The ABC still closed at around 11:30pm at this stage and this meant the last one out could turn off the lights a little earlier. Most of the other stations ran to 1am

WOW Guru, you are amazing just plucking that TV Week out bloody ABC. Even cutting our music programs for darn Comedy

Jason 'The Moderator'
Guru Bob
Michael

Close. The ABC started a late night comedy show called the Comedy Video Store and decided to axe 20min of Rock Arena to make room for it. The ABC still closed at around 11:30pm at this stage and this meant the last one out could turn off the lights a little earlier. Most of the other stations ran to 1am

WOW Guru, you are amazing just plucking that TV Week out bloody ABC. Even cutting our music programs for darn Comedy

I have about 85% of the TV Weeks from the late 70's to late 80's and it is always handy for cross referencing, and a bit quicker than trying to google it. You will notice in the Rock Arena episode they play a promo for the Comedy Video Store.

Interesting at 6:05pm was a series called Home - which I have never seen again since. My mate from school had a small bit part on this show, he was doing star jumps in the background of one scene. It was actually a good series, would love to see it again.

Hi Guru

I certainly don't remember "Home" and i wathced ABC religiously back then?

I also wouldn't mind seeing "The Comedy Video Store", I wonder if the adult music clips were Aussies or from other countries as well?

Remember seeing a clip by The Tubes on this show

Lee
Hi Guru

I certainly don't remember "Home" and i wathced ABC religiously back then?

I also wouldn't mind seeing "The Comedy Video Store", I wonder if the adult music clips were Aussies or from other countries as well?

I have a feeling I saw some of The Comedy Video Store at the time but can't recall it specifically. If it had Rodney Rude in it I probably would have gone to bed though as I never cared for him.

Home was broadcast in 1983 and repeated in 1984 and I have never seen it again since. It was a series of independent episodes focusing on different kids each time. I guess it was filmed in Melbourne if my mate got a part. Libbi Gorr played one of the kids in an episode and she later had a bit of fame through her character Elle McFeast on Andrew Denton's Live & Sweaty. I found an article on the show in one of my TV Weeks, which is scanned below.

Another show I remember was called Kicking Around and was set at a kids soccer club. I think it was filmed in NSW and aired on the ABC in 1982. I was playing U12's soccer at the time and found it interesting. Again, I have never seen it air again.

photo home_zps2d9d2e5e.jpg

I remember Home well. Always watched it before Dr.Who....'Home, Home on the other side....' well that's some of the lyrics I knew from the show.

Interesting that it's called 'Glenn Shorrock's Rock Arena'. Guru, when did it go back to an hour. Was the Comedy Video Store short lived?

Michael
I remember Home well. Always watched it before Dr.Who....'Home, Home on the other side....' well that's some of the lyrics I knew from the show.

Interesting that it's called 'Glenn Shorrock's Rock Arena'. Guru, when did it go back to an hour. Was the Comedy Video Store short lived?

I remember a line that went "Home, Home is where the heart is". Who knows, after 31 years I can't remember much about it at all really, just wouldn't mind seeing it again.

Not sure why it was called Glen Shorrock's Rock Arena in TV Week as I thought it was always just Rock Arena - maybe it had a short term title that I can't recall. Comedy Video Store started on April 3 and by May 8 it was gone again. I don't have the program for May 1 so it may have only run for 4 weeks in April.

I think Comedy Video Store ran longer than 4 weeks. I remember recording this show a few times bit i didn't have access to a VCR until 1985. It also used Dare Me by The Pointer Sisters as the theme song which didn't come out until 1985. I think it may have changed its name when Vince Sorrenti took over as host but i can't remember what

I think I'm So Excited was used and not Dare Me