Welcome to my forum connected to countdownmemories.com

Discuss everything COUNTDOWN and beyond!

Countdown Episodes * 70s & 80s Australian Music Programs * Music Video * Molly
Trading *  Collecting * Archival Information * Record/CD releases and more .........

COUNTDOWN IS BACK THIS JANUARY, 2019 ...  ON rage !!!!!
Stay tuned below with regular Countdown full archival information for each Countdown episode rage shall be airing every Saturday throughout January ...

Countdownmemories.com forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Rage Retro Week 4 playlist: See seperate post for timings

Saturday, 25 January 2014

10:30pm

ROCTURNAL May 9th, 1978
HITSCENE September 22nd, 1970

12:00am

ROCK ARENA April 24th, 1984 (Glenn Shorrock)

12:30am

COUNTDOWN March 15th, 1981 Jermaine Jackson
COUNTDOWN Magazine Promo 26-9-84
COUNTDOWN April 22nd, 1984 Limahl
COUNTDOWN Magazine Promo 29-8-84
COUNTDOWN Dec 16th, 1984 Tina Turner
TINA TURNER We Don't Need Another Hero (Fest/Mush)
COUNTDOWN December 24th, 1977

4:00am

HITSCENE August 21st, 1971

4:30am

CREEDENCE CLEARWATER REVIVAL Looking Out My Back Door (Festival)
CREEDENCE CLEARWATER REVIVAL I Put A Spell On You (Festival)
CREEDENCE CLEARWATER REVIVAL Heard It Through The Grapevine (Festival)
HITSCENE October 10th, 1970

5:00am

25: A HISTORY OF ATLANTIC RECORDS Documentary on Atlantic Records, 1948-1973 (Atlantic)

5:30am

BEN E. KING Stand By Me (Atlantic)

06:00am

BOBBY DARIN and PETULA CLARK All I Have To Do Is Dream (Didgeridoo)
ROBERTA FLACK The First Time Ever I Saw Your Face (Atlantic)
EMERSON LAKE and PALMER Fanfare For The Common Man (Warner)
JOE TEX Ain't Gonna Bump No More (With No Big Fat Woman) (Independent)
OTIS REDDING Satisfaction (Warner)
VANILLA FUDGE You Keep Me Hanging On (Warner)
CREAM White Room (Polydor)

Re: Rage Retro Week 4 playlist: See seperate post for timings

And Saturday morning:

HOODOO GURUS What's My Scene (BMG)

10:30am

LIMAHL Never Ending Story (EMI)
PAT BENATAR Sex As A Weapon (Festival)
TINA TURNER Let's Stay Together (Interfusion)
TINA TURNER Break Every Rule (Festival)
GLADYS KNIGHT Licence To Kill
COUNTDOWN Magazine Promo 31-10-84
LITTLE RIVER BAND It's A Long Way There (EMI)
CAROLE BAYER SAGER You're Moving Out Today (Elektra)
LITTLE RIVER BAND Reminiscing (Capitol)

11:00am

JONA LEWIE You'll Always Find Me In The Kitchen At Parties (Festival)
COUNTDOWN Magazine Promo 30-5-84
SUZI QUATRO Lipstick (CMC)
DEEP PURPLE Black Night (Polydor)
JERMAINE JACKSON The Closest Thing To Perfect (EMI)
SPLIT ENZ One Step Ahead (Mushroom)
SPLIT ENZ I Got You (Fest/Mush)
MADNESS My Girl (Independent)

Another week, another occasion to repeat repeats of repeats with the music videos selections

FFS, 'Let's Stay Together' and 'You're Moving Out Today' were on during retro week 1.

I don't think there's ONE video they haven't aired in the last 5 years on the Saturday morning selection, unless it's this one which I don't remember:

GLADYS KNIGHT Licence To Kill

And oh joy, the same 3 Creedence Clearwater Revival clips they always play get another airing on Saturday night.

It's such as wasted opportunity.

I may be wrong, but I think that Atlantic Records special has aired before, and possibly just a few years ago, too.

edit - yes, it aired 20th July last year!

Last aired on rage date:

Saturday morning:

28th Jul 2012 - HOODOO GURUS What's My Scene (BMG)
9th Nov 2013 - LIMAHL Never Ending Story (EMI)
7th Mar 2009 - PAT BENATAR Sex As A Weapon (Festival)
4th Jan 2014 - TINA TURNER Let's Stay Together (Interfusion)
3rd Jan 2009 - TINA TURNER Break Every Rule (Festival)
20th Oct 2012 - GLADYS KNIGHT Licence To Kill
28th Sept 2013 - LITTLE RIVER BAND It's A Long Way There (EMI)
4th Jan 2014 - CAROLE BAYER SAGER You're Moving Out Today (Elektra)
18th Feb 2012 - LITTLE RIVER BAND Reminiscing (Capitol)
16th Feb 2008 - JONA LEWIE You'll Always Find Me In The Kitchen At Parties (Festival)
28th Sept 2013 - SUZI QUATRO Lipstick (CMC)
2nd Mar 2013 - DEEP PURPLE Black Night (Polydor)
20th Jul 2013 - JERMAINE JACKSON The Closest Thing To Perfect (EMI)
31st Dec 2011 - SPLIT ENZ One Step Ahead (Mushroom)
29th Oct 2011 - SPLIT ENZ I Got You (Fest/Mush)
6th Oct 2012 - MADNESS My Girl (Independent)

Not one track they haven't aired in the last 6 years.

And from the other random retro clips aired from 8am on Saturday, the most-recent air date:

23rd Jul 2011 - GRACE JONES Love Is The Drug (Universal)
23rd Jun 2012 - 808 STATE Cubik (Warner)

Saturday night repeats (not including the repeated 1977 Countdown episode, I presume) with last aired on rage date:

6th Apr 2013 - TINA TURNER We Don't Need Another Hero (Fest/Mush)
20th Jul 2013 - CREEDENCE CLEARWATER REVIVAL Looking Out My Back Door (Festival)
20th Jul 2013 - CREEDENCE CLEARWATER REVIVAL I Put A Spell On You (Festival)
20th Jul 2013 - CREEDENCE CLEARWATER REVIVAL Heard It Through The Grapevine (Festival)
20th Jul 2013 - 25: A HISTORY OF ATLANTIC RECORDS Documentary on Atlantic Records, 1948-1973 (Atlantic)
20th Jul 2013 - BEN E. KING Stand By Me (Atlantic)
20th Jul 2013 - BOBBY DARIN and PETULA CLARK All I Have To Do Is Dream (Didgeridoo)
20th Jul 2013 - ROBERTA FLACK The First Time Ever I Saw Your Face (Atlantic)
20th Jul 2013 - EMERSON LAKE and PALMER Fanfare For The Common Man (Warner)
20th Jul 2013 - JOE TEX Ain't Gonna Bump No More (With No Big Fat Woman) (Independent)
20th Jul 2013 - OTIS REDDING Satisfaction (Warner)
20th Jul 2013 - VANILLA FUDGE You Keep Me Hanging On (Warner)
20th Jul 2013 - CREAM White Room (Polydor)

Geez, they lifted a whole slab from the 20th Jul 2013 episode, which was the Bill Oddie GP

They could easily have aired a full Countdown Revolution episode in that timeslot, and possibly nearly another full episode of Countdown.

ohnoitisnathan
Another week, another occasion to repeat repeats of repeats with the music videos selections

FFS, 'Let's Stay Together' was on during retro week 1.

So was You're Moving Out Today - Carole Bayer Sager...which I absolutely love, but that's 3 times it's been shown now since The Vault special (after not having been shown on Australian TV at all for probably 35 years)

I had really hoped the extra film clips would be spectacular during Retro Month this year after the utterly incredible Vault Special...but the complete opposite has happened. It's rather strange, but I'm not going to complain. Aside from the Hockey debacle (which was completely out of rage's control) and the disappointing film clips...it's been a great Retro Month for Countdowns. I agree though, would rather have seen more Countdown instead of these overly-used film clips again.

I live in hope now that there will be another Vault Special this year...maybe they're saving all the jaw-droppers for that

abbaluke

So was You're Moving Out Today - Carole Bayer Sager...which I absolutely love, but that's 3 times it's been shown now since The Vault special (after not having been shown on Australian TV at all for probably 35 years)

Yeah, I later spotted that and re-edited my post.

I've bit my tongue for most of this retro month, but this is just ridiculous. Though again I suspect it's because of their wish to stick to a particular theme this year (that being airing videos by artists who will appear on Saturday night's Countdown/Rock Arena etc. episodes). But could they not have found another Tina Turner clip to play instead of these, for example?

abbaluke

I live in hope now that there will be another Vault Special this year...maybe they're saving all the jaw-droppers for that

If that happens (I hope it does), that will probably unfortunately mean that those videos get re-hashed for retro month 2015

I want them to repeat a bunch of stuff for the Mardi Gras special (if they have another one this year), purely to get it without a watermark (in 4:3). But generally I find their repeats lazy.

ohnoitisnathan
Saturday night repeats (not including the repeated 1977 Countdown episode, I presume) with last aired on rage date:

20th Jul 2013 - CREEDENCE CLEARWATER REVIVAL Looking Out My Back Door (Festival)
20th Jul 2013 - CREEDENCE CLEARWATER REVIVAL Heard It Through The Grapevine (Festival)
20th Jul 2013 - 25: A HISTORY OF ATLANTIC RECORDS Documentary on Atlantic Records, 1948-1973 (Atlantic)
20th Jul 2013 - BOBBY DARIN and PETULA CLARK All I Have To Do Is Dream (Didgeridoo)
20th Jul 2013 - JOE TEX Ain't Gonna Bump No More (With No Big Fat Woman) (Independent)

Geez, they lifted a whole slab from the 20th Jul 2013 episode, which was the Bill Oddie GP

They could easily have aired a full Countdown Revolution episode in that timeslot, and possibly nearly another full episode of Countdown.

I thought that playlist looked very familiar. I definitely remember the Atlantic Records doco but can't believe that they would be that lazy to just lift a whole slab of previous programming.

So they're playing Looking Out My Back Door by Creedence. Will it be that black and white one with the GTK graphics all over it yet again or have they finally sourced the colour original which has been on YouTube for more than a year?

Guru Bob
ohnoitisnathan

I thought that playlist looked very familiar. I definitely remember the Atlantic Records doco but can't believe that they would be that lazy to just lift a whole slab of previous programming.

Ah dear Guru, I agree.... Instead of a repeat of the History Of Atlantic which now seems familiar from title but I didn't record it last year, a Countdown Revolution for 30 minutes could have been played or a full Countdown ep if they booted the Atlantic thing, Jo Tex which we have seen a trillion times and Credence which they ALWAYYYYYS play.... Ah dear... Least rage goes retro 4 is better than rage goes retro 3 last week... What do ya do Glad their are 3 unrepeated 80s Countdown ep's tomorrow night!!!

John Moulis
So they're playing Looking Out My Back Door by Creedence. Will it be that black and white one with the GTK graphics all over it yet again or have they finally sourced the colour original which has been on YouTube for more than a year?

Given that they've lifted slabs from the 20th July episode last year, it's bound to be the b&w version yet again.

Nathan, your research skills are pretty impressive. I'm glad you have the patience to look it up and keep us informed.

BTW - I'm not familiar with the 24/12/77 Countdown episode. So it is a repeat? and what year was it aired?

Michael
Nathan, your research skills are pretty impressive. I'm glad you have the patience to look it up and keep us informed.

My ire over the onslaught of repeats drove me to do it. All it took was some quick googling, i.e. site:www.abc.net.au/rage "artist" "song title" (replacing each with what I was looking for), then seeing which one was the most recent airing.

Michael
BTW - I'm not familiar with the 24/12/77 Countdown episode. So it is a repeat? and what year was it aired?

That is the 1977 Christmas Special which was shown on Rage in 1997 - therefore it is yet another repeat.