Welcome to my forum connected to countdownmemories.com

Discuss everything COUNTDOWN and beyond!

Countdown Episodes * 70s & 80s Australian Music Programs * Music Video * Molly
Trading *  Collecting * Archival Information * Record/CD releases and more .........

COUNTDOWN IS BACK THIS JANUARY, 2019 ...  ON rage !!!!!
Stay tuned below with regular Countdown full archival information for each Countdown episode rage shall be airing every Saturday throughout January ...

Countdownmemories.com forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
rage goes retro 2 FULL COUNTDOWN'S & ROCK ARENA SHOW DETAILS!

Year:1980
Date:10/08/1980
Show no:252
Summary:KIM HART HOSTS THE SHOW AND THERE IS AN INTERVIEW WITH OLIVIA NEWTON-JOHN.
LOCAL STUDIO ITEMS:
ANGELS 'POOR BABY'
FLOWERS 'CAN'T HELP MYSELF'
RICHARD CLAPTON BAND 'GET BACK TO THE SHELTER'
KIM HART 'YOU'RE THE ONE'
CHARTBUSTERS:
GENGHIS KHAN 'MOSCOW'
PAT BENATAR 'WE LIVE FOR LOVE'
ELO 'I'M ALIVE'
LOCAL ARTISTS VIDEO CLIPS:
INNOCENTS 'SOONER OR LATER'
FLASH & THE PAN 'WELCOME TO THE UNIVERSE'
MONITORS 'SINGING IN THE 80'S'
OVERSEAS ARTISTS VIDEO ITEMS:
RAINBOW 'ALL NIGHT LONG'
MAJOR MATCHBOX 'MIDNIGHT DYNAMOS'
TOP TEN ITEMS:
ELTON JOHN 'LITTLE JEANNIE'
JOHN FARNHAM 'HELP'
TOURISTS 'I ONLY WANNA BE WITH YOU'
OLIVIA NEWTON-JOHN 'MAGIC'
VAPORS 'TURNING JAPANESE'
KISS 'SHANDI'
ROMANTICS 'WHAT I LIKE ABOUT YOU'
LONG JOHN BALDRY 'YOU'VE LOST THAT LOVIN FEELING'
VILLAGE PEOPLE 'CAN'T STOP THE MUSIC'
LIPPS INC. 'FUNKY TOWN'

Year:1982
Date:21/03/1982
Show no:320
Summary:THIS SHOW IS HOSTED BY MOLLY WHO IV MEMBERS FROM DURAN DURAN RE SINGLE, SUCCESS, IMAGE, FASHION, ALBUM, EXPECTATIONS FOR 1982, RUSSEL MULCAHY AND TOUR. THIS IV IS INTERRUPTED BY EXCERPTS OF DURAN DURAN CLIP 'GIRLS ON FILM'.
VIDEO CLIPS:
SPLIT ENZ 'DIRTY CREATURES'
INXS 'NIGHT OF REBELLION'
THE ORPHANS 'HOP, SKIP, JUMP'
SHARON O'NEILL 'ALL THE TEA IN CHINA'
TURNAROUND 'LET'S DO IT'
THE CHURCH 'ALMOST WITH YOU'
THE JAM 'A TOWN LIKE MALICE'
TIGHT FIT 'THE LION SLEEPS TONIGHT'
FUN BOY THREE 'THE LUNATICS'
MADNESS 'IT MUST BE LOVE'
CHARTBUSTERS:
DEPECHE MODE 'JUST CAN'T GET ENOUGH' (EXCERPT)
BILL WYMAN 'COME BACK SUZANNE' (EXCERPT)
HALL & OATES 'I CAN'T GO FOR THAT'
HUMDRUM:
SPANDAU BALLET 'SHE LOVED LIKE DIAMOND'
BOOMTOWN RATS 'NEVER IN A MILLION YEARS'
PRINCE 'CONTROVERSY'
HEATHER FAVELL 'HOLIDAY'
HUMAN LEAGUE 'OPEN YOUR HEART'
TOP TEN:
CLIFF RICHARD 'DADDY'S HOME'
OLIVIA NEWTON-JOHN 'MAKE A MOVE ON ME'
QUATERFLASH 'HARDEN MY HEART'
FOREIGNER 'WAITING FOR A GIRL LIKE YOU'
SHAKIN' STEVENS 'OH JULIE'
LINDSEY BUCKINGHAM 'TROUBLE'
PETE SHELLEY 'HOMOSAPIEN'
SOFT CELL 'TAINTED LOVE'
ROD STEWART 'YOUNG TURKS'
J GEILS BAND 'CENTREFOLD'
MOVING PICTURES 'WHAT ABOUT ME'

COUNTDOWN Magazine Promo 24-7-84

December 11 1984
A MUSIC VIDEO PROGRAM HOSTED BY SUZANNE DOWLING WHO BRIEFLY INTRODUCES EACH ARTIST;ARTIST/TITLES:;00.14 MONDO ROCK, GOOD ADVICE;04.38 STYLE COUNCIL, BIG BOSS GROOVE;08.52 STYLE COUNCIL, YOU'RE THE BEST THING;14.04 STYLE COUNCIL, SHOUT TO THE TOP;17.48 INXS, ALL THE VOICES;22.10 INXS, DANCING ON THE JETTY;27.46 BLUE NILE, STAY;31.39 SPECIAL AKA, WAR CRIMES;35.35 STRANGLERS, SKIN DEEP;40.14 LOU REED, ROCK 'N ROLL;46.13 LOU REED, WALK ON THE WILD SIDE;50.51 LOU REED, I LOVE YOU SUZANNE;55.35 STEPHEN STILLS, STRANGER;58.28 RAY ARNOTT GROUP, FLAMING HEART

COUNTDOWN Magazine Promo 28-11-84

Year:1987
Date:31/5/1987
Show no:556
Summary:THIS SHOW HOSTED BY 'PAINTERS AND DOCKERS' MEMBERS(PAUL, CHRIS, COLIN, BRAD, PHIL, MICK & DAVE) CO-HOSTED BY MOLLY (WITH HAT).
COUNTDOWN DANCE CREW DANCED TO 'MEL & KIM' AT BEGINNING AND SHOW INCLUDES CLIP FROM 'JOAN RIVERS SHOW' WHICH INCLUDED INTRODUCTION TO AND PERFORMANCE BY 'CROWDED HOUSE'. 'MOLLY MELDRUM' SEGMENT INCLUDES IV WITH BILLY JOEL RE HOW ENJOYING AUSTRALIA AT MOMENT, IDEAS ABOUT 'MTV' (MUSIC VS VIDEO) AND DOES'NT AGREE WITH BAD INFLUENCE OF ROCK N' ROLL, VIDEO CLIP SHOWN OF HIM IN DUET WITH RAY CHARLES 'BABY GRAND' AND MOLLY PRESENTS A 'BEATLES MEDLEY' WHICH INCLUDES TWO NEVER SEEN BEFORE CLIPS ('SGT PEPPERS' & 'ALL YOU NEED IS LOVE'). US & UK TOP FIVE SHOWN, AD FOR 'COUNTDOWN MAGAZINE' SHOWN AND HOSTS SING 'OLD MACDONALD HAD A FARM' PRIOR TO SAYING GOODNIGHT.;
LOCAL ARTISTS:;THE PONY 'I LIED' (19.43) (LIVE);
CROWDED HOUSE 'SOMETHING SO STRONG' (29.10) ('JOAN RIVERS SHOW');
PAINTERS AND DOCKERS 'NUDE SCHOOL' (38.27)LIVE
NOISEWORKS 'TAKE ME BACK' (48.43)
(CHARTBUSTER);DAVE DOBBYN 'SLICE OF HEAVEN' (56.03)
(NO.1) ;
OVERSEAS ARTISTS:;MEL AND KIM MEDLEY 'SHOWING OUT' (00.44), 'RESPECTABLE' (2.58);
LIVING IN A BOX 'LIVING IN A BOX' (5.58);
BILLY JOEL (& RAY CHARLES) 'BABY GRAND' (8.55);
BREAKFAST CLUB 'RIGHT ON TRACK' (13.26);
SIMPLY RED 'INFIDELITY' (24.16);
BON JOVI 'WANTED DEAD OR ALIVE' (33.28);
FERRY AID 'LET IT BE' (VARIOUS BRITISH ARTISTS IN EFFORT TO RAISE FUNDS FOR
VICTIMS OF FERRY SINKING);
THE BEATLES 'SGT PEPPERS LONELY HEARTS CLUB BAND' (43.36) (BEATLES MEDLEY);THE BEATLES 'ALL YOU NEED IS LOVE' (45.33) (BEATLES MEDLEY);
UK TOP FIVE (18.43):;
JOHNNY HATES JAZZ 'SHATTERED DREAMS' (NO.5);
TOM JONES 'A BOY FROM NOWHERE'
(NO.4);JOHNNY LOGAN 'HOLD ME NOW'
(NO.3);WHITNEY HOUSTON 'I WANNA DANCE WITH SOMEONE' (NO.2);STARSHIP 'NOTHING'S GOING TO STOP US NOW' (NO.1);
US TOP FIVE (37.32):;U2 'WITH OR WITHOUT YOU' (NO.5);CHRIS DE BURGH
(NO.4);LISA LISA 'HEAD TO TOE'
(NO.3);ATLANTIC STARR 'ALWAYS'
(NO.2);KIM WILDE 'YOU KEEP ME HANGIN' ON' (NO.1);NATIONAL TOP TEN (52.02):;PRETENDERS 'HYMN TO HER'
(NO.10);WORLD PARTY
'SHIP OF FOOLS'
(NO.9);MADONNA 'LA ISLA BONITA'
(NO.8);CLUB NOUVEAU 'LEAN ON ME'
(NO.7);BON JOVI
'LIVIN' ON A PRAYER'
(NO.6);HOODOO GURUS 'WHAT'S MY SCENE'
(NO.5);PAUL LEKAKIS 'BOOM BOOM'
(NO.4);STARSHIP 'NOTHING'S GONNA STOP US NOW' (NO.3);WHITNEY HOUSTON 'I WANNA DANCE WITH SOMEBODY' (NO.2)

Year:1986
Date:12/10/1986
Show no:530
Summary:POPULAR MUSIC SERIES FEATURING LOCAL AND OVERSEAS ARTISTS. THIS IS AN INSERT SHOW HOSTED BY JIM KERR AND CHARLIE BURCHILL. MOLLY (IN HAT) PRESENTS MUSIC NEWS INC AUSTRALIAN, UK AND US TOP 5 AND NATIONAL TOP 10 LOCAL ARTISTS:
HUNTERS & COLLECTORS 'EVERYTHING'S ON FIRE'
PAUL KELLY & THE COLOURED GIRLS 'DARLING IT HURTS'
WHITE XMAS 'PEARL NECKLACE'
JOHN FARNHAM 'YOU'RE THE VOICE'
OVERSEAS ARTISTS:
PAUL SIMON 'YOU CAN CALL ME AL'
STACEY Q 'TWO OF HEARTS'
FRANKIE GOES TO HOLLYWOOD 'RAGE HARD'
ROBERT PALMER 'I DIDN'T MEAN TO TURN YOU ON'
BRUCE HORNSBY 'THE WAY IT IS'
RIC OCASEK 'EMOTION IN MOTION'
FIVE STAR 'FIND THE TIME'
RUN DMC 'WALK THIS WAY'
NATIONAL TOP 10:
PETER CETERA 'GLORY OF LOVE'
BELINDA CARLISLE 'MAD ABOUT YOU'
COMMUNARDS 'DON'T LEAVE ME THIS WAY'
LIONEL RICHIE 'DANCING ON THE CEILING'
WA WA NEE 'I COULD MAKE YOU LOVE ME'
CYNDI LAUPER 'TRUE COLOURS'
HUEY LEWIS & THE NEWS 'STUCK WITH YOU'
BILLY JOEL 'A MATTER OF TRUST'
BERLIN 'TAKE MY BREATH AWAY'
BANANARAMA 'VENUS'
JOHN FARNHAM 'YOU'RE THE VOICE'

Re: rage goes retro 2 FULL COUNTDOWN'S & ROCK ARENA SHOW DETAILS!

1986 Countdown Episode is as boring as bat*hit to be honest. I have hoped that this episode wouldn't ever be played seeing there are SO many amazing Countdown's that haven't been played!

I am happy with 1980 BIG TIME as I DIE for 1980 Countdown's. 1982 is a GEM but I have a timer code copy.... BUT ... a nice digital un timer code copy will be great to have for the Nick and Simon interview which is goooorgeous... 1984 Magazine promo's are great... 1986 and 1987 are boring and my least favourite Countdown period but they haven't been played so it's better than nothing I suppose. Last weekend was MAGIC

GO 1980 EPISODE!!!!!! I could deal with 3 1980 episodes in a row, such an AMAZING period of Countdown where the NEW decade really shows. 1980 episodes had a kooky, creative, more obscure and creative streak which lead into the brilliance of 1981 and 1982 Countdown episodes.

I am bored with the Rock Arena episode, I love some of the material featured on it BUT I wish rage would play 'SPECIAL' Rock Arena Episodes like I'm Talking 'Live' for Rock Arena and other episodes like the US Funk Dance Rap Episode, Their Electronic Specials with more undercurrent material. The episodes of Rock Arena where you see only those special videos that rage do not generally play!

The 1980 and 1982 episodes are very good shows. Even though I have timecoded copies of them it is great that they are finally getting aired.

The 1984 Rock Arena would have been chosen due to the Lou Reed clips. Mondo Rock - Good Advice is a rare clip though as are the Stephen Stills and Ray Arnott Group although I don't know anything about those clips. Ray Arnott was an Australian musician from the mid 60's to mid 80's and appeared on Countdown live in 1979. Not sure if Flaming Heart is a good song but will be a very rare clip and I am looking forward to seeing what it is as it was a new release in 1984.

I think the 1986 and 1987 episodes are OK without being standouts. They are good representatives of the era.

I wonder whether they will show The Beatles items in the 1987 Countdown? I liked The Pony - I Lied but have seen this clip via the VH1 replays from 7-8 years ago.

I think it is just the common clips used as space fillers that are the only real disappointment.

I agree, the 12/10/86 episode is pretty poor (ah, sorry Jum), from what episodes are left outstanding from '86. The 1980 episode is def. the highlight and thank god it's the first cab off the rank.

I would really like to see a Rock Arena episode hosted by Glen Shorrock - what a legend, but Suzanne does come a close second! Do we really need to see a handful of INXS clips and more Style Council? (after the SC concert on last years Rock Arena).

1986 COUNTDOWN THIS WEEKEND IS PURE SHI*E, MUCH BETTER 1986 EPISODES, WHAT DO YOU DO... Can't wait for 1980 episode :-)

Forgot to mention:

LET IT BE - FERRY AID (from the 31/5/87 episode) You beauty! featuring all the Top UK artists of the time and of course Kim making a great presence and even Mel & Kim. Finally, I won't have to watch it on YouTube anymore.

What happened to the 1977 episode which they promised.

Saturday morning looks interesting enough especially from 10:30am:

JOHN PAUL YOUNG Love Is In The Air (Scotti Brothers Records)
KIM HART Love At First Night (Live on Countdown)
ROD STEWART and THE FACES All Over Now (Live)
ROD STEWART and THE FACES Stay With Me (Live)
ROD STEWART Young Turks (Warner)
MONDO ROCK Modern Bop (Polydor)
MONDO ROCK Cool World (Polydor)
MONDO ROCK Summer Of 81 (Polydor)

11:00am

COUNTDOWN Magazine Promo 27-6-84
INXS Night Of Rebellion (Warner)
INXS Not Enough Time (Warner)
INXS Guns In The Sky (Warner)
JOHNNY NASH I Can See Clearly Now (GTK, 1970)
THE KINKS Supersonic Rocket Ship
THE KINKS Ape Man
DRAGON April Sun In Cuba (Live on Countdown, Adelaide Festival 1978)

Mondo Rock's 'Cool World' was aired last Saturday I believe but hey, great song, great group, couldn't complain.

The Kinks 'Apeman' might be the promo clip where an ape follows the group around the park. This clip may have come from an episode of Hitscene if it's in B&W. I've seen the color version on YouTube.

I must say, Kim was a natural at hosting. Would have been good if she had a few more hits and stuck around a bit longer.

Kim was INDEED a natural at hosting Countdown. VERY engaging and perfect for the job!

The 1987 episode of Countdown reinforced my view on what went wrong with the show.

Bands still mimed their songs, and didn't play live. Wall to wall video clips.

Gavin Wood was gone, the new presentation sucked.

Only highlight was Crowded House for me....i was big fan back then.

Stephen
The 1987 episode of Countdown reinforced my view on what went wrong with the show.

Bands still mimed their songs, and didn't play live. Wall to wall video clips.

Gavin Wood was gone, the new presentation sucked.

Only highlight was Crowded House for me....i was big fan back then.

The Countdown dancers were the worst thing IMO. Although I'd seen those Mel & Kim videos many times before and of course have copies of them, it was ridiculous that at least 80% of the videos were filled just with the Countdown dancers. Seriously, who wants to watch that?

I don't know if there are any Xanadu fans out there. But did anyone notice an alternate moment in ELO I'm Alive music clip in the 1980 episode. In the movie, the two muses that run to each other on the beach turn into two flashes of light. But in the ELO music video that was shown on Countdown, they turn into birds and fly away.

No I didn't. I am a big fan of the Xanadu soundtrack, not so much the movie. I only bought the soundtrack about 15 years ago.

I remember ONJ featured on Maynard's Rewind on Channel V back in 1999 and they played a bunch of songs from her catalogue and had some good chats in between about the videos. I still have it on VHS, also the one Maynard did with Leo Sayer.