Welcome to my forum connected to countdownmemories.com

Discuss everything COUNTDOWN and beyond!

Countdown Episodes * 70s & 80s Australian Music Programs * Music Video * Molly
Trading *  Collecting * Archival Information * Record/CD releases and more .........

COUNTDOWN IS BACK THIS JANUARY, 2019 ...  ON rage !!!!!
Stay tuned below with regular Countdown full archival information for each Countdown episode rage shall be airing every Saturday throughout January ...

Countdownmemories.com forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Rage Retro 2014 - week 2 Saturday morning

Another week of pretty stock standard videos for the entrée...disappointing :(

The Countdown mag promo will be fun, not sure if that's been shown...and the very last clip of "DRAGON April Sun In Cuba (Live on Countdown, Adelaide Festival 1978)"...has this been shown before ? I *think* I've seen it on one of the Foxtel music channels though.

And they're including the INXS song that, for me, signalled the end of their magic...the dreadful "Not Enough Time". I remember seeing it at the time and thinking, it's over.

10:30am

JOHN PAUL YOUNG Love Is In The Air (Scotti Brothers Records)
KIM HART Love At First Night (Live on Countdown)
ROD STEWART and THE FACES All Over Now (Live)
ROD STEWART and THE FACES Stay With Me (Live)
ROD STEWART Young Turks (Warner)
MONDO ROCK Modern Bop (Polydor)
MONDO ROCK Cool World (Polydor)
MONDO ROCK Summer Of 81 (Polydor)

11:00am

COUNTDOWN Magazine Promo 27-6-84
INXS Night Of Rebellion (Warner)
INXS Not Enough Time (Warner)
INXS Guns In The Sky (Warner)
JOHNNY NASH I Can See Clearly Now (GTK, 1970)
THE KINKS Supersonic Rocket Ship
THE KINKS Ape Man
DRAGON April Sun In Cuba (Live on Countdown, Adelaide Festival 1978)

Re: Rage Retro 2014 - week 2 Saturday morning

abbaluke
Another week of pretty stock standard videos for the entrée...disappointing :(

I agree. Even the retro clips selected between the 8-10:30 slot are bog standard replays of re-re-re-re-re-replays:

SALT 'N' PEPA Push It (Polydor)
ORANGE JUICE Rip It Up (Polydor)
IGGY POP I'm Bored (Virgin)

'I'm Bored' again??! For real?!

It's like the (probably Gen Y) rage programmer responsible goes... 'Hmmm... what 80's songs do I know?', of course only knowing the few 'big' ones that still get played regularly now. I'm almost surprised 'Girls Just Want To Have Fun' isn't trotted out for another airing Or they select lesser or non-hit videos (in this instance Rip It Up & I'm Bored) that the Triple J/'alternative' crowd consider cool or credible.

Yes of course, they can program whatever they like, but it's disappointing that we're largely getting the same old, same old selection of retro clips on Saturday morning in what could (and used to be) a one-month-in-a-year opportunity to play something that hasn't been shown on rage in aeons, if ever. It just seems lazy, and is a wasted opportunity.

I think part of the problem is the rage team's seeming insistence this year to have a 'themed' selection of videos on Saturday morning; the theme being 'these artists will appear in the Countdown/Rock Arena episodes we play tonight'. It's just like in 2010 when their theme for Saturday night clips between episodes of Countdown etc. was clips selected from the Countdown top 10 in the episode that just re-aired.

abbaluke,

DRAGON April Sun In Cuba (Live on Countdown, Adelaide Festival 1978) has not been shown on rage before. The Adelaide Festival episode is the episode that I think is very damaged and the last of the 670s C.down episodes rage hasn't played but can't as it's in very poor condition

ohnoitisnathan

'I'm Bored' again??! For real?!

It's like the (probably Gen Y) rage programmer responsible goes... 'Hmmm... what 80's songs do I know?', of course only knowing the few 'big' ones that still get played regularly now. I'm almost surprised 'Girls Just Want To Have Fun' isn't trotted out for another airing Or they select lesser or non-hit videos (in this instance Rip It Up & I'm Bored) that the Triple J/'alternative' crowd consider cool or credible.

At least it is just the clip for I'm Bored to please the usual bogans who will bring it up again. Fortunately the Rage programmers will now just do this rather than play the entire episode.

I got so sick of this whole episode - July 8 1979 - being on continual rotation in the 90's re-runs when it aired in 1994, 1996, 1998 and 2000 - 4 times in 7 years.

Guru Bob

At least it is just the clip for I'm Bored to please the usual bogans who will bring it up again. Fortunately the Rage programmers will now just do this rather than play the entire episode.

I got so sick of this whole episode being on continual rotation in the 90's re-runs when it aired in 1994, 1996, 1998 and 2000 - 4 times in 7 years.

True. This time it might actually be the video, which Rage don't seem to play *quite* as often. But still, there's absolutely no need to re-air this again during retro month.

Night Of Rebellion - INXS. Will this be the Countdown performance?

Countdown Magazine promo - 27/6/84? Def. not lifted from a Countdown episode cause it went 10/6, 17/6, 24/6. Maybe it was taken from an airing in between some ABC programs on 27/6?

I to am intrigued by these 1984 Countdown Mag promo's...... I am hoping they are just not lifted from Countdown episodes....

Hey Nathan

Your forgot these 2 as well between the 8:00am - 10:30am

PREFAB SPROUT The King Of Rock 'N' Roll (CBS)
HAIRCUT 100 Love Plus One (BMG)

Still pretty stock standard if you are asking me.

I could probably give them my 1982 Out Of The Blue DVD and 1985 On Fire DVD if they want to show some rarer ones?

Lee, those DVD's rock! 1985 On Fire featured well on last weeks '85 episode.

A few goodies on this morning, that is the first time a piece of that damaged Countdown from 1978 has been shown. Johnny Nash "I Can See Clearly Now" is the mega-rare original promo clip, bit lazy of Rage there to just caption it as 1970 when it was not even recorded till 1972. Shown on GTK Episode 606 on 06/02/73. A massive world-wide hit at the time. There are so many more rare and rarely-seen gems like this in the GTK vaults that really need an airing.