Welcome to my forum connected to countdownmemories.com

Discuss everything COUNTDOWN and beyond!

Countdown Episodes * 70s & 80s Australian Music Programs * Music Video * Molly
Trading *  Collecting * Archival Information * Record/CD releases and more .........

COUNTDOWN IS BACK THIS JANUARY, 2019 ...  ON rage !!!!!
Stay tuned below with regular Countdown full archival information for each Countdown episode rage shall be airing every Saturday throughout January ...

Countdownmemories.com forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
retro week 2 blurb

is now on the website:

For the whole of January, rage is going retro. We're looking to the ABC's archives to unearth some of the best musical moments from the 60s, 70s and 80s.

This Saturday we'll be playing Countdown episodes from 1977, 1980 (Kim Hart), 1982 (Molly interviews Duran Duran) and 1986 (Jim Kerr and Charlie Burchill). You can also expect a Rock Arena episode from 1984, and clips by Duran Duran, Painters and Dockers, Simple Minds, Mondo Rock and INXS.

Join us for the second installment of rage Goes Retro on Saturday 11th January from 10:30-11:30am, returning for the night from 11:30pm on ABC1.

Re: retro week 2 blurb

"returning for the night from 11:30pm"? I thought it was starting at 12:37am Sunday morning?

ohnoitisnathan
"returning for the night from 11:30pm"? I thought it was starting at 12:37am Sunday morning?

Nathan, are you in Sydney? Perhaps the only part of the Rage sindication being delayed is the Sydney stream. Although I don't want to put any ideas into anyone's minds and worry them, I've got a feeling that the hockey match that someone noted is going to finish, and cut into rage halfway through a countdown, or Sydney may just get one less countdown.

If they're showing a 1977 edition of countdown this week, I hope it is the 100th episode from April 1977 where Molly get's drunk - I don't have that one, and it would be great to own. I think it originally aired back in 1994 1995 when I didn't know that countdown was on repeat.

Mark from 2PR FM
ohnoitisnathan

Nathan, are you in Sydney? Perhaps the only part of the Rage sindication being delayed is the Sydney stream. Although I don't want to put any ideas into anyone's minds and worry them, I've got a feeling that the hockey match that someone noted is going to finish, and cut into rage halfway through a countdown, or Sydney may just get one less countdown.

If they're showing a 1977 edition of countdown this week, I hope it is the 100th episode from April 1977 where Molly get's drunk - I don't have that one, and it would be great to own. I think it originally aired back in 1994 1995 when I didn't know that countdown was on repeat.

No I'm in Vic. It also has the 12:37am starting time on the Melbourne TV guide (at least on yourtv.com.au).

Yeah, I wouldn't be surprised if the hockey match runs overtime and Rage starts part-way through an episode of Countdown

ohnoitisnathan

No I'm in Vic. It also has the 12:37am starting time on the Melbourne TV guide (at least on yourtv.com.au).

Yeah, I wouldn't be surprised if the hockey match runs overtime and Rage starts part-way through an episode of Countdown

Yep, says 12:35 start time for rage on the ABC's official program guide as well.

http://www.abc.net.au/tv/guide/all/netw/201401/20140111.htm

Okay, just took the moment to give the ABC a call, and spoke directly to rage. The guy was very friendly, as I explained to him about the time conflict between the blurb and the ABC official program guide website.

Good news is that they time everything, and nothing will be cut out, as in actual countdowns, and rock arena. The bottom line is, this is why they place so many video clips in between, it gives them some cushioning, when these sporting fixtures happen. I said to him that I hope that they'll be no countdowns left out, he assured me that the only things that will go, are video clips in between shows should they loose time.

Hopefully I've explained all this okay. :)

Thanks heaps for that Mark, brilliant :)

By the way, confirmed 12.30am start this week, as noted by Rage themeselves on their facebook page. Apparently the blurb's being corrected as we speak..

Looking at the blurb for the shows, episode dates will be 05/10/86 (which has been shown on Rage previously (06/01/07), the 1980 and 1982 shows are both new to Rage although those that have the time-coded collection will have seen them already though. I take it 1977 is a repeat, whatever it is, unless another missing episode has been rediscovered. Nothing to get too excited about then I am afraid, although Week One was terrific.

Brett (2)
Looking at the blurb for the shows, episode dates will be 05/10/86 (which has been shown on Rage previously (06/01/07), the 1980 and 1982 shows are both new to Rage although those that have the time-coded collection will have seen them already though. I take it 1977 is a repeat, whatever it is, unless another missing episode has been rediscovered. Nothing to get too excited about then I am afraid, although Week One was terrific.

I am expecting the 1986 episode will actually be the 12/10/1986 show which hasn't been shown before.

The 1977 episode I would think will be show 100, which has been shown before on Rage in 1997.

4 new episodes for Rage and a 70's repeat isn't too bad. As long as they don't repeat 80's episodes.

The Rock Arena from 1984 will be hosted by either Glen Shorrock if from Jan-Jun or Suzanne Dowling if after July. There is not enough info to work out the episode unless the clips they are playing are associated to artists on the episode. We will find out in a few hours.

Yeah, I remember Jim appearing briefly on 5/10/86 episode and from memory, they were going to return the following week. So yeah, it should be 12/10/86.

Guru, do you think the '82 episode with interview with Duran Duran is 21/3/82?

I don't mind the repeat '77 episode, as I don't have it on tape or disc. One of a small handful of episodes that has escaped me over the years. I'm happy that if they are going to please 70's fans, they do it with a Countdown episode rather than video clips or some obscure doco from the 70's or Flashez (sorry, Flashez fans!)

Yeah good pick up GuruBob, it is good to know that 1986 show is not a repeat after all. Looks like Rage dropped the 1977 show in favor of one from 1987, obviously they did not want to do any undesirable repeating. So the night has taken a turn for the better.

1986 was pretty much dull as dishwater as far as Countdown went though. Too many film clips and not much other content on the shows. At least the last batch of 1987 stuff when they went for a change in style and direction (and silly name change)went back to having some decent studio performances again. Overall the later years of Countdown lack the vitality and energy of the earlier years, the show was at its peak when it first started and remained superb through to around 1982. Things were still very good through the mid-80s with some great shows in 1983 and 1984 but once the MTV concept took over the show started to slowly die away.

It was in the 70s though that the show was at its peak and compulsory viewing with the great amount of studio performances. What a shame so little of the pre-1979 period survives. I know many in here grew up with the show in the 1980s, but believe me, you dont know how much you are missing not being able to see the 1970s years.