Welcome to my forum connected to countdownmemories.com

Discuss everything COUNTDOWN and beyond!

Countdown Episodes * 70s & 80s Australian Music Programs * Music Video * Molly
Trading *  Collecting * Archival Information * Record/CD releases and more .........

COUNTDOWN IS BACK THIS JANUARY, 2019 ...  ON rage !!!!!
Stay tuned below with regular Countdown full archival information for each Countdown episode rage shall be airing every Saturday throughout January ...

Countdownmemories.com forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Rage Retro Week 3 19th January 2013: Individual Timings listing

..and here we go for Rage Retro 3! Note, 11.30pm is no longer the start time as was previously mentioned on the Rage site. It's now 12:24am. As usual, Countdown items are in bold.

12.24am - Countdown: May 8th 1983
1.18am - Rock Arena: The Reels In Concert, January 10th 1984
2.18am - Countdown: November 2nd 1986
3.14am - Rock Arena: December 22nd 1987
4.11am - David Essex: City lights
4.18am - David Essex: Hot love
4.21am - David Essex: Gonna make you a star
4.25am - Jona Lewie: Louise
4.29am - Alvin Stardust: Weekend
4.32am - Rock Arena: December 24th 1985
5.31am - Countdown: November 16th 1986 - Part 1
6.00am - Countdown: November 16th 1986 - Part 2
6.30am - Show close

Re: Rage Retro Week 3 19th January 2013: Individual Timings listing

12:24? W T F!

And it now says 12:00 on rage, so that's a mistake as well?

Yup, definitely 12.24am, yourtv.com.au has it also at 12.24am..*sighs*..we originally had 11.30pm, then 12.00am, now 12.24am..

Doesnt really matter too much - looks like they had to drop a few things out (like some Sherbet segment which will be shown next week) and some Recovery segments have also got the chop (care factor = 0) but more importantly the 3 Countdowns are still in there - and DAVID ESSEX - CITY LIGHTS - all 6 minutes and 30 seconds of it!!

The ABC programming department really stuff Rage around with these start times.

Thanks again Frankster for this timing list - great work as always. At about 4.10am I will be out of bed and watching 7 minutes of glory from 4.11am!! I cannot wait.

Jason 'The Moderator'
12:24? W T F!

And it now says 12:00 on rage, so that's a mistake as well?

Rage always do that (or at least have done so for the last year or so) - i.e. rather than amend the playlist to reflect the actual start time, they just plonk it beside the preceding half hour. So, for example, if rage started at 12:29, they'd still probably start the playlist from 12:00. You have to watch for the exact start time listed on the main Rage page in small print somewhere (or in your TV guide). It smacks of laziness.

I don't mind a handful of the Reels' songs, but to sit through an hour of a live performance of them in between Countdowns = painful. I'll just find something else to do during that hour instead. On the plus side, it's an hour less I need to clear from my HDD.

I may be in the minority, but I've always found watching live performances (other than some TV performances of single songs) somewhat... boring. In concert they may be great, but to watch them on a TV is a bit of a snoozefest.

I don't get rage's obsession with plonking a live performance every week (or just about) on retro every week for the last few years. It's not what retro should be about IMO, and dare I say it's a carry-over effect from their Triple J worshipping - i.e. focus on 'real' music (regardless of how listenable it is). You only need to look at the acts they show these live performances for - The Reels, Cold Chisel, Nick Cave/The Birthday Party etc. It's never, let's say, a half an hour Toto Coelo performance

Plus it eats up 30-60 mins (or more) of time where other retro shows (or videos, I know I'm in the minority here with that one) could be shown instead.

ohnoitisnathan
I don't mind a handful of the Reels' songs, but to sit through an hour of a live performance of them in between Countdowns = painful. I'll just find something else to do during that hour instead. On the plus side, it's an hour less I need to clear from my HDD.

I may be in the minority, but I've always found watching live performances (other than some TV performances of single songs) somewhat... boring. In concert they may be great, but to watch them on a TV is a bit of a snoozefest.

I don't get rage's obsession with plonking a live performance every week (or just about) on retro every week for the last few years. It's not what retro should be about IMO, and dare I say it's a carry-over effect from their Triple J worshipping - i.e. focus on 'real' music (regardless of how listenable it is). You only need to look at the acts they show these live performances for - The Reels, Cold Chisel, Nick Cave/The Birthday Party etc. It's never, let's say, a half an hour Toto Coelo performance

Plus it eats up 30-60 mins (or more) of time where other retro shows (or videos, I know I'm in the minority here with that one) could be shown instead.

Yes, 3 Rock Arena's this weekend with LIVE material is HELL! I LOVE Style Council but to have another 2 ep's with live material is CRAP! At least the I'm Talking one I WANT has video clips on it as well... And RARE one's! B L O O D Y repeat of The Reels =- NOT HAPPY AT ALLLLL!!!!!!!

Re: Rock Arena:

So, just confirming:

'The Reels' 1 hour concert has been shown before? When?
The 24 December, 1985 'Style Council' is a 1 hour concert?
The 1987 one is very average?

Michael
Re: Rock Arena:

So, just confirming:

'The Reels' 1 hour concert has been shown before? When?
The 24 December, 1985 'Style Council' is a 1 hour concert?
The 1987 one is very average?

rage played The Reels live for 2JJ on Saturday 12th January, 2008 and I recorded it on the night. I LOVED it but I don't want it again! I recorded it LOGO FREE as well

It was on at 3:23am on Saturday 12th January

Maybe I missed it, being on at 3:23am. Not having a HDD Recorder (which I have said many-a times on this forum - donation gladly accepted), I would have most probably timer recorded the following Countdown/s and went to bed. I'll have to check my discs. If I don't have it, then I will be able to handle that hour inbetween the 2 Countdowns tomorrow night.

Are we certain this Reels special is second time around? Rage's listings for 2008 has it as been from November 22nd 1983. I remember it opening with a close up shot of an audio open reel tape deck - I guess we'll soon find out which one it is as tomorrow night's one is January 10th 1984, unless November 22nd 1983 is an incorrect date...? Confused..

Frankster30
Are we certain this Reels special is second time around? Rage's listings for 2008 has it as been from November 22nd 1983. I remember it opening with a close up shot of an audio open reel tape deck - I guess we'll soon find out which one it is as tomorrow night's one is January 10th 1984, unless November 22nd 1983 is an incorrect date...? Confused..

The Reels did a gig for 2JJJ in November 1983 and the tape for that was used in the 2008 airing. I don't know if that was ever shown directly on the ABC as such, I would have to check some old TV guides.

Back in 1984 over the summer period the ABC decided to also incorporate that same footage into a Rock Arena episode. The playlist of the Rock Arena Jan 10 1984 episode is identical to what was shown in 2008 so it would be the same concert although it will have been archived at the ABC as 2 separate programs - which it technically is, even though they consist of the same footage. I would think that it was recorded for the intention of putting it on Rock Arena.

Not sure if I've cleared that up or made it more confusing.

Guru,

Thanks for that, certainly not more confusing, it's actually cleared the confusion up :-) Much thanks!

I don't mind the The Reels repeat,I have great memories of watching it in 2008 but didn't record it at the time. Not a huge fan but enjoyed the concert.

So the Style Council concert is 24 December, 1985 as the transmission date (wish I watched it back then, would have been cool watching this on Rock Arena Xmas eve) but what was the actual date of the concert/filming?

Michael
So the Style Council concert is 24 December, 1985 as the transmission date (wish I watched it back then, would have been cool watching this on Rock Arena Xmas eve) but what was the actual date of the concert/filming?

I'm assuming some date in September?

I'm with you about The Reels repeat Jason.Did we really need an encore screening of that '83 concert?
What's more-I'd like to see a Reels free Retro Month next year.
They've had more than their fair share of red carpet treatment in the last 5 years.
Time for Rage to give them a breather.

I'd also like to see Rage give Sherbet a breather as well,but on a more permanent basis.
Sorry,but I think Sherbet are one of the most overrated Aussie bands to have ever existed,and I don't get why they've been a constant since the Countdown re-runs began 20 years ago.
I can give you a whole list of Aussie acts who wipe the floor with them and deserve far more airtime than they do.
Don't get me started on Nick Cave.

I AGREE John,

Sherbet Smerbert. Sick of it!

They get played every darn year!

This January we have Sherbet and The Sherbes EVERY WEEK!!!

YET, I'm Talking live on ROCK ARENA i g n o r e d EVERY YEAR!

Villle

Hi all!
Did they show the music-video "Der Kommissar" by Falco in this "Rage Retro Month" (Episode 3)? BTW I didn`t checked out any Nr. 4 or Nr. 5 of this show!
Thank you
FALCOloge
from Vienna