Welcome to my forum connected to countdownmemories.com

Discuss everything COUNTDOWN and beyond!

Countdown Episodes * 70s & 80s Australian Music Programs * Music Video * Molly
Trading *  Collecting * Archival Information * Record/CD releases and more .........

COUNTDOWN IS BACK THIS JANUARY, 2019 ...  ON rage !!!!!
Stay tuned below with regular Countdown full archival information for each Countdown episode rage shall be airing every Saturday throughout January ...

Countdownmemories.com forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Manikins

Manikins were a Perth band that started in the late 70's and included Dave Faulkner (later of Hoodoo Gurus). After doing very little between 1981-85 they were revived when singer songwriter Christine Brodey joined. What Are You On was their first release with the new line-up and reached No74 on the Australian charts.

My favourite track of theirs was Cruel World which was released in December 1987 and got to No.54 on the Australian charts but as high as No.16 on the 3XY Melbourne charts. Below are scans of the single we will see performed live and the album that it came from.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Re: Manikins

I am VERY excited about the studio performance of What Are You On from The Manikins! I have requested it a few times and I LOVE the track. I actually FINALLY got the album 2 weeks ago at Alley Tunes, YES... It's STILL there! I was SOOOOO mega happy when I found the album with the cover above with the singer in the red dress :-)

Always liked the Manikins song 'What are you on'. I was able to find it on a CD single with Cruel World. Looking forward to this episode.

Spoiler alert.
If you can't wait until Saturday then you can see the clip on YouTube. RecordPausePlay has the Countdown performance uploaded.

Another Manikins clip is also on YouTube. Scent appears from an episode of Night Shift.

Can't find a clip for Cruel World though. I know they performed it live on The Factory episode 17. From memory she was wearing that same red dress as the album cover and the word Manikins was in large pink letters on the back wall of the studio.

Jason 'The Moderator'
I am VERY excited about the studio performance of What Are You On from The Manikins! I have requested it a few times and I LOVE the track. I actually FINALLY got the album 2 weeks ago at Alley Tunes, YES... It's STILL there! I was SOOOOO mega happy when I found the album with the cover above with the singer in the red dress :-)

I just had a look on ebay and found the album on CD. I only had the vinyl version. Got both now.

FAB! I am happy with just the vinyl

Guru Bob
Spoiler alert.
If you can't wait until Saturday then you can see the clip on YouTube. RecordPausePlay has the Countdown performance uploaded.

Another Manikins clip is also on YouTube. Scent appears from an episode of Night Shift.

Can't find a clip for Cruel World though. I know they performed it live on The Factory episode 17. From memory she was wearing that same red dress as the album cover and the word Manikins was in large pink letters on the back wall of the studio.

I saw the Countdown performance to What Are You On about 2 years ago on You Tube , won't watch it again though as it's been awhile and I want to see it on
Saturday night again BUT this time on T.V. !

My first introduction to the Manikins, was when I won the single 'Dracula's Slut' off a radio station. It was a horse racing station, but when there was no racing, they would play music and take song requests and often at night they had giveaways. I won a ****load of stuff of that radio station in the late 80's. Sad to say, it no longer exists.

Guru, I just checked the Manikins single releases on Wikipedia. Was 'Cruel World' & 'Dracula's Slut' a double A side single? or was 'Dracula's Slut' the B side?

Michael
Guru, I just checked the Manikins single releases on Wikipedia. Was 'Cruel World' & 'Dracula's Slut' a double A side single? or was 'Dracula's Slut' the B side?

Cruel World was the A-Side and Dracula's Slut the B-Side

Photobucket

Photobucket

Guru Bob
Michael

Cruel World was the A-Side and Dracula's Slut the B-Side

Photobucket

Photobucket

This is the same as the CD single that I have and it also includes 'What Are You On'.

brett
Always liked the Manikins song 'What are you on'. I was able to find it on a CD single with Cruel World. Looking forward to this episode.

I nearly bought the same CD single on ebay yesterday but then I saw the album was also listed as a CD release, so bought that instead. Definitely looking forward to that performance as the highlight of that episode.

Cheers.

Nice to see the official video for What Are You On on Saturday night after getting the Countdown studio performance 5 years ago.