Welcome to my forum connected to countdownmemories.com

Discuss everything COUNTDOWN and beyond!

Countdown Episodes * 70s & 80s Australian Music Programs * Music Video * Molly
Trading *  Collecting * Archival Information * Record/CD releases and more .........

COUNTDOWN IS BACK THIS JANUARY, 2019 ...  ON rage !!!!!
Stay tuned below with regular Countdown full archival information for each Countdown episode rage shall be airing every Saturday throughout January ...

Countdownmemories.com forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Rage Retro Week 3 19th January 2013: Program info (blurb)

COUNTDOWN SUMMARIES:

COUNTDOWN SHOW 369

08 May 1983

Summary: This episode is hosted by Grace Knight and Bernie Lynch from The Eurogliders and features a live performance by The Angels, an interview with Annie Lennox and Molly Meldrum discusses the need for larger music venues. Also featured in this episode are music videos by Toto Coelo, U2, Goanna and Michael Jackson.

COUNTDOWN SHOW 533

08 Nov 1986

Summary:

This episode is guest hosted by Elton John and features music videos by Paul Kelly & The Coloured Girls, Big Pig, Paul Young, Nik Kershaw, Ric Ocasek and Bananarama. Also in this episode are live performances by The Manikins, John Justin & The Thunderwings and Crowded House.

COUNTDOWN SHOW 535

16 Nov 1986

Summary:

This episode is guest hosted by John Farnham and features music videos by Orchestral Manoeuvres In The Dark, Glass Tiger, Pet Shop Boys, Billy Idol, Kim Wilde and The The. Featured in this episode is a classic Molly Meldrum interview with John Farnham about his hit song ‘You’re The Voice’.

Also in Saturday night’s line-up:

Three episodes of Rock Arena including a 1984 episode featuring The Reels live in concert in Sydney, a 1985 episode featuring The Style Council in Melbourne, a 1987 episode hosted by Suzanne Dowling!

Look out for retro clips from Jellybean, Aztec Camera, The Pogues, David Essex and a concert featuring Love Gone Wrong!

Re: Rage Retro Week 3 19th January 2013: Program info (blurb)

Three unrepeated Countdown shows which is again great news - although 1986 is not one of the greatest years - still have not been shown at all since transmission so one cannot be too disappointed.

I am excited by the clip listing for that evening - David Essex - they may finally be unearthing "City Lights" from the segment tape - I wait with baited breath!!

Frankster30
COUNTDOWN SUMMARIES:

COUNTDOWN SHOW 369

08 May 1983

Summary: This episode is hosted by Grace Knight and Bernie Lynch from The Eurogliders and features a live performance by The Angels, an interview with Annie Lennox and Molly Meldrum discusses the need for larger music venues. Also featured in this episode are music videos by Toto Coelo, U2, Goanna and Michael Jackson.

COUNTDOWN SHOW 533

08 Nov 1986

Summary:

This episode is guest hosted by Elton John and features music videos by Paul Kelly & The Coloured Girls, Big Pig, Paul Young, Nik Kershaw, Ric Ocasek and Bananarama. Also in this episode are live performances by The Manikins, John Justin & The Thunderwings and Crowded House.

COUNTDOWN SHOW 535

16 Nov 1986

Summary:

This episode is guest hosted by John Farnham and features music videos by Orchestral Manoeuvres In The Dark, Glass Tiger, Pet Shop Boys, Billy Idol, Kim Wilde and The The. Featured in this episode is a classic Molly Meldrum interview with John Farnham about his hit song ‘You’re The Voice’.

Three episodes of Rock Arena including a 1984 episode featuring The Reels live in concert in Sydney, a 1985 episode featuring The Style Council in Melbourne, a 1987 episode hosted by Suzanne Dowling!

Look out for retro clips from Jellybean, Aztec Camera, The Pogues, David Essex and a concert featuring Love Gone Wrong!

The 9th November 1986 show is actually the 2/11/1986

Frankster30
COUNTDOWN SUMMARIES:

COUNTDOWN SHOW 369

08 May 1983

COUNTDOWN SHOW 533

08 Nov 1986

Summary:

COUNTDOWN SHOW 535

16 Nov 1986

Summary:

The 1983 Countdown Episode and the 1986 Episode from 2nd Nov with the FAB Manikins are GREAT! The last with John Farnham hosting from1 986 however is S H I T but hey....

Dates for Rock Arena's please, anyone???

Jason 'The Moderator'

The 1983 Countdown Episode and the 1986 Episode from 2nd Nov with the FAB Manikins are GREAT! The last with John Farnham hosting from1 986 however is S H I T but hey....

Dates for Rock Arena's please, anyone???

The Reels might be the following:
January 10 1984 (The Reels In Concert at Studio 221)
VS THE REELS PERFORM LIVE AT STUDIO 221. PLAYLIST AS FOLLOWS:;
COLORFUL CLOTHS;
RETURN;
ACCORDING TO MY HEART;
LAST NIGHT (I DIDN'T GET TO SLEEP);
KITCHEN MAN;
AFTER THE NEWS;
YOU GOT SOUL;
COMEDY;
THIS GUY'S IN LOVE WITH YOU;
MY FAMILY;
LA MOR, WITH MOMBASSA ON VOCALS & GUITAR;
DEPRESSION;
HAPPINESS;
BAND OF GOLD;
MISUSED & ABUSED;
PREFAB HEART;
QUASIMODO'S DREAM;
SHOUT & DELIVER;
LOVE WILL FIND A WAY

In 2008 we had The Reels in concert for 2JJ from 1983.

The Style Council 1985 episode would probably be:
December 24 1985
THIS SHOW INTRODUCED BY SUZANNE DOWLING (WHICH WAS SHOWN PREVIOUSLY THIS YEAR ON 1/10/85) WAS THE STYLE COUNCIL 'TUMBLING DOWNUNDER' CONCERT HELD IN MELBOURNE (THE ONLY PERFORMANCE IN THIS CITY, HELD IN MAY, 85'), WITH 14 SONGS PERFORMED. SIMULCAST ON CAPITAL CITY RADIO STATIONS AROUND AUSTRALIA. BAND MEMBERS INCLUDE:PAUL WELLER (SINGER), D.C. LEE (VOCALS), STEVE WHITE (DRUMS), CAMILLE HINDS (GUITAR), STEVE SIDELNYK (PERCUSSION), ROBBIE GLANFIELD (BANJO), HELEN TURNER (IVORY'S) AND MICK TALBOT (SINGER).;ARTIST/MUSIC TITLE:;(ALL STYLE COUNCIL);'BIG BOSS GROOVE' (0.40);'SHOUT TO THE TOP' (5.24);'SEE THE DAY' (8.44);'EVERYTHING TO LOSE' (13.23);'CATCH ME I'M FALLING' (17.13);'OUR FAVOURITE SHOP' (24.32);'LONG HOT SUMMER' (27.50);'CALL ME' (31.43);'HOMEBREAKERS' (35.49);'A STONE'S THROW' (41.05);'MY EVERCHANGING MOODS' (43.18);'JUST CAME TO PIECES' (48.09);'WALLS COME TUMBLING DOWN' (50.48);'INTERNATIONALISTS' (54.17)

A bit hard to work out what the 1987 episode is about as Suzanne hosted all the episodes so it could be anything.

3 episodes hosted by Suzanne is fantastic.

Guru, rage played The Reels live a few years ago, is it the b l o o d y same one????????

By the way Guru, any idea if No Action live is actually another one in the studio or if it's the Countdown Awards performance? I am DESPERATE to know!!!

Jason 'The Moderator'
Guru, rage played The Reels live a few years ago, is it the b l o o d y same one????????

By the way Guru, any idea if No Action live is actually another one in the studio or if it's the Countdown Awards performance? I am DESPERATE to know!!!

The following item that was shown 5 years ago is the exact same as the one I listed above except that it wasn't as part of a Rock Arena episode.
Rage Saturday, 12 January 2008
3:23am THE REELS Live in studio for 2JJJ, November 22nd 1983 (ABC)

I hope I am wrong but it looks like repeated material. Actually if it was January 1984 it means Glen Shorrock and not Suzanne will be hosting.

Hopefully the Reels playlist we see on Saturday will not be the one I listed. The Reels were the JJJ artists of the 80's that Nick Cave became in the 90's.

The description from the Eurogliders show says they perform live in the studio. But then again it also lists No Action as a video clip. I have never seen a video clip for No Action and presume it will be like last weekends' situation where the hosts perform on the episode.

As soon as I saw The Reels live I thought about 2008. One of the best retro seasons ever.

3 Countdowns + 3 Rock Arenas

Hopefully we'll get some more Flashez clips as well.

In my opinion, a bit of a letdown compared to last weekend.

I did like the Eurogliders, but two weekends in a row?

1986 is not really 'retro' to me, i prefer the older episodes repeated these days.

The Reels are great, but shame it's a repeat if true.

You beauty! Finally, I can say that I got one episode I requested - the John Farnham episode. I requested this mainly because Sept-Oct 1986 was my period of Countdown. I also thought there was a high probability it would get played as John would appeal to a wider viewing audience. Main reason for choosing this episode (along with the common videos) was:

CATTLETRUCK 'CHANGE'
THE THE 'HEARTLAND'
TINA TURNER 'TWO PEOPLE'

I also requested the Elton John episode. I know it sits at No.1 on our 'Most Wanted Countdown episodes' list for each year, but I specifically went onto the rage messageboard back in October last year and requested these 2 episodes and posted the playlists for them. I'm excited. BTW - I know some of you gripe about 1986 episodes, but in the end, I don't think they have disappointed.

Funny mentioning I prefer the 1983 Eurogliders episode over last weekends episode and here they are playing it this weekend.

Well done Michael on being the guest programmer for the night.

I don't mind 1986 episodes, there have only ever been 11 episodes out of 50 existing ones shown for 1986 (episode 515 June 29 1986 is missing as far as I know and episode 520 wasn't shown due to the Commonwealth Games). In percentage terms of what exists compared to what has been shown, 1986 is the poorest represented year of Countdown as far as Rage repeats are concerned. There had been no episodes aired between Oct 5 and Dec 21 so this fills a few gaps

I don't care what I see as long as Rage are not repeating it. Am really looking forward to the Nov 2 episode as it has a very good list of items amongst it.

3 Countdown and 3 Rock Arena. Can't argue with that, although I would not have chosen The Reels episode so soon after having aired that footage in 2008.

Thanks...

I think Patrick comes out the big winner here, with his 2 Eurogliders episodes.

The Elton John episode is a goodie, any episode with a studio audience stands out. A shame Elton doesn't perform 'Heartache All Over The World' or they show the video or it's not in this weeks Top 10. We also get to see 'I Feel The Magic' by BC. Hot Hot Hot!

As Gurubob mentioned with The Reels - Rage have to keep up their quota of JJJ-artists even in Retro month. Whilst I liked their early appearances on Countdown, and their quirky versions of classics like "According To My Heart", "This Guy In Love With You" etc the rest of the stuff does absolutely nothing for me - to describe "Quasimodos Dream" as one of the greatest tracks ever to come out in Australia is really over-the-top.

Still very happy to see 3 Countdowns and 3 Rock Arenas this Saturday.

I hate to say this but I think Week Four of Retro is going to be a total flop - to fit in with the JJJ-Top 100 I think it will be an all-90s affair with plenty of stuff from the shows we despise. The only hope for something different will be the fact it is Australia Day weekend although the moronic JJJ-generation are even fighting amongst themselves on the Rage facebook page about the meaning of all that - some of these people need to get off their P.Cs and iphones and tablets and go get themselves a real life if they know what that is.

I have been proven wrong before though so hopefully I am wrong again

Still, if they play my long-requested David Essex full "City Lights" clip for the first time in 36 years I will never say another bad word about the Rage team. I am suspecting it will not be that track though.

BUT I'm Talking did a live set for 2JJ for Rock Arena and it hasn't been played EVER on rage and requested by me and Sean for over a decade and a half! arghhhhhhhhh

Jason 'The Moderator'
BUT I'm Talking did a live set for 2JJ for Rock Arena and it hasn't been played EVER on rage and requested by me and Sean for over a decade and a half! arghhhhhhhhh

I have a full copy of that I'm Talking live performance from Rock Arena, (although I don't have the full episode including the clips) and I thought I gave a copy to you a couple of years back. Let me know if you got that copy.

Guru,

I have the I'm Talking live part from you BUT I want the whole show AND in my opinion I think I'm Talking deserve rage air time!

The Reels and Cold Chisel have had their play over and over, it's time for the AMAZING I'm Talking to be shown. And I want a digital copy! The whole show is also just AMAZING with videos from Shannon, Grandmaster Flash, Martha And The Muffins and Maac Bolan. There is NO NEED for a repeat of The Reels when other Australian 80s bands shoudl be also getting played!

The Reels was only played 5 years ago!!!

By the way, that TERRIBLE 1986 Countdown Episode hosted by John Farnham was a request by a guy named Steve, thanks Steve for such a S H I T T Y Episode! hahahaha

Michael
You beauty! Finally, I can say that I got one episode I requested - the John Farnham episode. I requested this mainly because Sept-Oct 1986 was my period of Countdown. I also thought there was a high probability it would get played as John would appeal to a wider viewing audience. Main reason for choosing this episode (along with the common videos) was:

CATTLETRUCK 'CHANGE'
THE THE 'HEARTLAND'
TINA TURNER 'TWO PEOPLE'

I also requested the Elton John episode. I know it sits at No.1 on our 'Most Wanted Countdown episodes' list for each year, but I specifically went onto the rage messageboard back in October last year and requested these 2 episodes and posted the playlists for them. I'm excited. BTW - I know some of you gripe about 1986 episodes, but in the end, I don't think they have disappointed.

Funny mentioning I prefer the 1983 Eurogliders episode over last weekends episode and here they are playing it this weekend.

Thanks Michael, hahahahaha. No offense but there are some GREAT 1986 Episodes with studio performances but this one from 1986 with John Farnham is waaaay dull... I don't get the choice of this one when there are a handful of exiting 1986 Episodes with audiences and 3 to 4 live bands in the studio! The other 1986 ep they are playing is a good 1986 one though...The 1982 Grace and Bernie Episode last week was GENIUS! More 1982 PLEASE!!!

As mentioned, for me this was one of the best picks around the period of late '86 (of course after the ones they have already showed). This episode would have to be my most remembered episode as it brings back memories of watching it first time around and has stuck in my head ever since. How could you pass on John singing 'You're The Voice' in the Countdown studio with the bagpipes etc. I do like all the videos too. 'Two People' isn't on Tina's Videos DVD and 'I Feel The Magic' is rare. Really looking forward to seeing more Cattletruck after the peformance of 'Leave Me' from the 15/3/87 episode....and 'Heartland' by The The...the list goes on...and I knew there was a chance of it getting played as John appeals to a wider audience, which is probably why we have had so many Elton John features over the years.

There ya go Well, good for you for getting the episode That episode of Countdown I am HOPING is NUMBER 3 in the line up so I can rest during it. I LOATHE John Farnham, hahahaha ... Glad the other 2 ep's have more excitement with audience e.t.c..

I could've gone with 12 Sept '82 episode hosted by John and another member from LRB, but I already have that time-coded copy.

I have only just read the Rage blurb and it is slightly different now to what Frankster first posted on this thread - Rage must have updated it. It now mentions for the 3rd Rock Arena that Love Gone Wrong feature on it, previously they said 1987, so I think it will be the following episode.

October 11/17 1987
2.00 OPENING TITLES;
2.17 FF#1 VS CABARET VOLTAIRE VIDEOCLIP 'DON'T ARGUE';
5.30 LS ZI MLS DOWLING;
6.06 FF#2 VS THE OTHER ONES VIDEOCLIP "WE ARE WHAT WE ARE";
9.10 FF#2 VS THE OTHER ONES VIDEOCLIP "HOLIDAY";
12.45 MCU DOWLING;
13.24 FF#3 VS HOWARD HUNTSBERRY VIDEOCLIP "LONELY TEARDROPS";
16.28 FF#4 VS LOS LOBOS VIDEOCLIP "LA BAMBA";
19.19 MLS ZI MCU DOWLING;
19.54 FF#5 VS LOVE GONE WRONG VIDEOCLIP "MIRACLE IN MARRICKVILLE";
24.00 FF#5 VS LOVE GONE WRONG VIDEOCLIP "BIG COUNTRY";
26.37 FF#5 VS LOVE GONE WRONG VIDEOCLIP "THE SINGING CITY";
31.20 MS DOWLING;
32.15 FF#6 VS THE HOUSEMARTINS VIDEOCLIP "CARAVAN OF LOVE";
35.48 FF#5 VS THE HOUSEMARTINS VIDEOCLIP "ME & THE FARMER";
38.38 FF#5 VS THE HOUSEMARTINS VIDEOCLIP "FIVE GET OVER EXCITED";
41.36 MLS DOWLING;
42.19 FF#7 VS ROBYNE DUNN VIDEOCLIP "GET OFF THE ROAD";
46.18 FF#8 VS MODERN CHANT VIDEOCLIP "QUEENSLAND NIGHTS";
49.30 MCU DOWLING;
49.58 FF#9 VS CABARET VOLTAIRE VIDEOCLIP "I WANT YOU";
53.49 FF#9 VS CABARET VOLTAIRE VIDEOCLIP "BIG FUNK"

Cooooool, I AM SOOO EXCITED as I am a Cabaret Voltaire and The Other Ones fan! AHHHHHHH!!!!!

Who are Love Gone Wrong?

Jason 'The Moderator'
Cooooool, I AM SOOO EXCITED as I am a Cabaret Voltaire and The Other Ones fan! AHHHHHHH!!!!!

Who are Love Gone Wrong?

Same here Jason. It'll be great to have the 2 'Other Ones' clips again. I have their CD.

Love Gone Wrong are also called 'John Kennedy's Love Gone Wrong'. Their song 'Big Country' was the only song that I know. I have a best of CD that I bought ages ago that I have never played.

If it is that episode that they are going to play there is a lot of really rare Australian material on there:

The Other Ones (a German/Australian band), Love Gone Wrong with 3 clips from their debut album, Robyne Dunn and Modern Chant.

That should be a great episode.

I loved the 1987/88 Rock Arena's as it went very alternative as Suzanne got to play all her favourite obscure bands. There are so many rare clips on those episodes.

I'm looking forward to this episode - mostly all new to me.

Yuk, Love Gone Wrong are too country and yuk for me. BUT Cabaret Voltaire and The other Ones = YES PLEASE!!!

Guru Bob
If it is that episode that they are going to play there is a lot of really rare Australian material on there:

The Other Ones (a German/Australian band), Love Gone Wrong with 3 clips from their debut album, Robyne Dunn and Modern Chant.

I loved the 1987/88 Rock Arena's as it went very alternative as Suzanne got to play all her favourite obscure bands. There are so many rare clips on those episodes.

I am intrigued by Modern Chant...

Jason 'The Moderator'
I am intrigued by Modern Chant...

They probably derived their name via the sax player Dale Chant. The other members were Mary Frainch (perc/bv), Marc Tracey (guitar) and singer Anne Watkins. I have never seen any of their footage unless I watched this episode once and had forgotten it but it doesn't sound familiar. They released another single in Oct 1986 Southern Perspective/Swanston St/Victim Of The Dreamtime Software.

Guru Bob

If anybody is wondering who The Other Ones are, I uploaded their 3 videos onto my youtube channel a while ago. So if you want to see what they are like

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fidHm6bCvQI (Holiday)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zE7iB2uxWlc (We Are What We Are)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IHSF_CcrLpM (Money and Gold)

Guru Bob
I have only just read the Rage blurb and it is slightly different now to what Frankster first posted on this thread - Rage must have updated it. It now mentions for the 3rd Rock Arena that Love Gone Wrong feature on it, previously they said 1987, so I think it will be the following episode.

October 11/17 1987

I don't think this is right. The info I have is below, and the date matches the rage listing.

December 22 1987
THIS PROGRAM, LAST ONE FOR 1987 (NOT REPEATED), HOSTED BY SUZANNE DOWLING.
GROUP LOVE GONE WRONG SHOWN IN CONCERT IN ROCK ARENA WITH EIGHT SONGS.
CLIPS FROM GROUPS SHOWN, INCLUDING AZTEC CAMERA, THE POGUES, JELLYBEAN AND BRUCE SPRINGSTEEN.

ARTIST/TITLE:;
JELLYBEAN 'WHO FOUND WHO' (2.17);

LOVE GONG WRONG (IN CONCERT)
'QUITE LIKE LOVE' (7.03);
'THE EYES HAVE IT' (9.35);
'YOU WILL FIND' (13.46);
'MIRACLE IN MARRICKVILLE' (18.33);
'THE SINGING CITY' (20.53);
'I WANT YOU' (24.29);
'HEY STEVEN' (29.18);
'ONE DAY' (33.06);

AZTEC CAMERA 'OBLIVIOUS' (ROCK ARENA CLIP) (37.19);
AZTEC CAMERA 'DEEP, WIDE AND TALL' (40.18);
THE POGUES 'DIRTY OLD TOWN' (44.52);
THE POGUES 'FAIRYTALE OF NEW YORK' (48.33);
BRUCE SPRINGSTEEN 'TUNNEL OF LOVE' (53.35)

Thanks. Although, I don't know which of the two would have been better!

Wow i'm just listening to the Southern Perspective EP by Modern Chant cica 1985 and i thought i would do a search no expecting to find anything, and i stumbled on this blog.
The EP has the tracks, 1: Altogether, 2: Friendly As A Shark, 3: Women Walking Under The Moon, 4: Parlez Francais (Which i still have a small poster of). I also have cassette somewhere of their first recording which was called Parlez Francais i think, well Dale gave me the poster for it. 2 songs that really stood out on it where Two Ronnie's about the Cold War and Parallax Factor (which is still seem to catch myself singing at times) which was my favourite song of theirs, but i doubt either song resurfaced. I know i have the cassette somewhere but i haven't been able to locate it and i doubt it would be playable now :(
I have all this because i worked as their roadie i guess you could call it, my main job was setting up Dales keyboards.
His synth/ synth bass and drum programming was very rigid/ syncopated on the recordings i have and for their gigs.
I did see the LP at Greville Records once but wasn't prepared to pay for it. My fondest memories were of them was when they had a residency at The Armadale Hotel out in the back room, i think the most people they got over 3 or 4 months was about 20. Mary started on percussion half way through the residency, that was a very Modern Chant moment 9and there were many). Dale was a interesting to work for, in a funny, neurotic sort of way. Really nice guy, they all were.
The band Special School that supported most of the time weren't too bad for a pub rock band.
I've never blogged before so i hope this wasn't to long and of no interest to anyone. If so i apologise.
Just such a major blast from the past.
I would put a couple i pics up but don't now how