Welcome to my forum connected to countdownmemories.com

Discuss everything COUNTDOWN and beyond!

Countdown Episodes * 70s & 80s Australian Music Programs * Music Video * Molly
Trading *  Collecting * Archival Information * Record/CD releases and more .........

COUNTDOWN IS BACK THIS JANUARY, 2019 ...  ON rage !!!!!
Stay tuned below with regular Countdown full archival information for each Countdown episode rage shall be airing every Saturday throughout January ...

Countdownmemories.com forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
rage retro 1!

COUNTDOWN PROMO from the Early 80s with take Bush was just WOW WOW WOW, I freaked over it!!!

Countdown : Show 223
30/3/1980 was 101% THE best and THE highlight of the night for me!!!

PATRICK D. MARTIN 'I LIKE ELECTRIC MOTORS'
JO STANLEY 'NO MORE SAD SONGS' (LIVE)
LOOSE CHANGE 'HIT ME WITH ANOTHER DOUBLE' (LIVE)

and

THE FLYING LIZARDS INTERVIEW WAS FLAWLESSSSSSSS * FLAWLESSSSS * FLAWLESSSSSSS!!!!!

What an AMAZING night of programming!

And that Bowie interview!

Re: rage retro 1!

Yes, the Bowie interview was from a Countdown we have not seen before. Would it have been on a special tape with bits and pieces of edited Countdown?

It would probably be off a segment tape Michael - the episode itself is long wiped. I know the ABC also have segments of the wiped show hosted by Meatloaf in 1978 including the intro/opening segment and Teenage Radio Stars "I Wanna Be Your Baby" - around 10 minutes in total.

Last nights Rage - 1980 episode an absolute highlight - I am in total agreement there. Much better than what I ever would have hoped - have rarely seen any of these studio performances or film clips from this episode anywhere - great stuff!! The 1984 show was a bit drab with the lack of studio performances but still a good gap-filler (some rarely-seen clips), the 1983 show with Bonnie Tyler was also excellent - one of the better ones from that year, and the 1987 show is about as good as it gets from that period also. The GTK Sherbet special from 1974 a great curiosity-piece and very good to see again in full. The Countdown promos etc were a nice addition - well done Rage team!!

Hopefully that is the only time we will ever see an "Edge of The Wedge" show again - although the ABC and Rage in particular do have a love affair with these type of shows so who knows - some nice live Paul Kelly footage in there though so not totally a dead loss!!

Rage should have really said that the Countdown promo from April '87 is "Countdown Magazine Promo".

Thank god the early 80's promo was not the theme to the start of Countdown as we know it.

The 1980 Countdown promo was great! I am yet to watch the 1980 episode though (went to bed when the Stryper bits were on... but had to laugh at how posh the 7:30 Report host sounded, compared to now). I've watched the 1987 episode, will watch the rest later.

The 1980 episode was one of the best repeats in many years.

Heaps of obscure stuff, could have done without Racey, but the rest of the show made up for it.

The young girl couldn't sing for peanuts though, tone deaf if you ask me.

'HIT ME WITH ANOTHER DOUBLE, TONIGHT I'M LOOKING FOR SOME TROUBLE'!!!

Jason 'The Moderator'
COUNTDOWN PROMO from the Early 80s with take Bush was just WOW WOW WOW, I freaked over it!!!

Countdown : Show 223
30/3/1980 was 101% THE best and THE highlight of the night for me!!!

PATRICK D. MARTIN 'I LIKE ELECTRIC MOTORS'
JO STANLEY 'NO MORE SAD SONGS' (LIVE)
LOOSE CHANGE 'HIT ME WITH ANOTHER DOUBLE' (LIVE)

and

THE FLYING LIZARDS INTERVIEW WAS FLAWLESSSSSSSS * FLAWLESSSSS * FLAWLESSSSSSS!!!!!

What an AMAZING night of programming!

And that Bowie interview!

'I LIKE ELECTRIC MOTORS' WAS THE HIGHLIGHT OF THE NIGHT!

Cherry Ripes interview with the Flying Lizards was so funny and awkward. The lead singer looked very uncomfortable and embarrassed and spoke really posh. Very blunt in her answers too. I like Cherry Ripes question 'So why did you choose to do the vocals like that'? Her response: 'Um, can't sing'. Boy did they talk themselves down. and they would love to come to Australia, not to peform live (cause they can't), but maybe check out the desert? WTF?

Michael
Cherry Ripes interview with the Flying Lizards was so funny and awkward. The lead singer looked very uncomfortable and embarrassed and spoke really posh. Very blunt in her answers too. I like Cherry Ripes question 'So why did you choose to do the vocals like that'? Her response: 'Um, can't sing'. Boy did they talk themselves down. and they would love to come to Australia, not to peform live (cause they can't), but maybe check out the desert? WTF? [:))

Yes very awkward but highly entertaining. One of the highlights of the night.

She is certainly a memorable character.
Still performing occasionally today though almost unrecognizeable ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D90qIu93TlA

Yes, loved the 1980 ep.
Hope to see quite a few more from the early 80s as I find this to be the best Countdown era.

Christina

Great link

Michael

Cherry Ripes interview with the Flying Lizards was so funny and awkward. The lead singer looked very uncomfortable and embarrassed and spoke really posh. Very blunt in her answers too. I like Cherry Ripes question 'So why did you choose to do the vocals like that'? Her response: 'Um, can't sing'.

Indeed, that interview was very

Guru Bob
Christina

Great link

She has certainly retained her unique sense of style and presence, if not her looks...

Was the Music video for Zaine Griff's 'Figures' ever played on Countdown?

Brett (2)
It would probably be off a segment tape Michael - the episode itself is long wiped. I know the ABC also have segments of the wiped show hosted by Meatloaf in 1978 including the intro/opening segment and Teenage Radio Stars "I Wanna Be Your Baby" - around 10 minutes in total.

Last nights Rage - 1980 episode an absolute highlight - I am in total agreement there. Much better than what I ever would have hoped - have rarely seen any of these studio performances or film clips from this episode anywhere - great stuff!! The 1984 show was a bit drab with the lack of studio performances but still a good gap-filler (some rarely-seen clips), the 1983 show with Bonnie Tyler was also excellent - one of the better ones from that year, and the 1987 show is about as good as it gets from that period also. The GTK Sherbet special from 1974 a great curiosity-piece and very good to see again in full. The Countdown promos etc were a nice addition - well done Rage team!!

Hopefully that is the only time we will ever see an "Edge of The Wedge" show again - although the ABC and Rage in particular do have a love affair with these type of shows so who knows - some nice live Paul Kelly footage in there though so not totally a dead loss!!

I actually really enjoyed that Edge Of The Wedge episode. At the time I can't recall caring much for The Wedge but this compilation show with 2 great tracks from Paul Kelly and some rare material from Died Pretty, Ed Kuepper, Shower Scene From Psycho and Party Girls was great.

As I can only recall Jason having requested The Wedge, thanks Jason.

As a lover of all things Australian in music, I love 80's alternative Oz music. One of the reasons I started watching Rage, and why I preferred Rock Arena to Countdown from 1987 (as they lost the plot with the CDPTV business) was seeing the obscure items being produced. There were however 2 great live performances by Melbourne bands the Cockroaches and Huxton Creepers on the 87 show (although I already had them via TV1 repeats) and a great cameo by Suzanne at the end to whet the appetite for tonight.

I hope current alternative - such as the Hottest 100 - NEVER again intrudes into retro but items such as that 30 min of The Wedge was good.

Pleasure Guru,

Glad you are happy I requested Edge Of The Wedge. HOW WOW is the intro!!!! SO Sweet & Sour!

I don't dig Paul Kelly BUT my gawd, The Party Girls were AMAZING! I am on the HUNT for that track 'I Don't Wanna Be Like You'! One of the guys talking in the interview sections actually used to do album reviews in Dolly in the 80s :-) I also liked the lasta ct of the show with the synths on stage. I hope more Edge Of The Wedge gets played!

brett
Was the Music video for Zaine Griff's 'Figures' ever played on Countdown?

Brett,

The answer is YES YES YES! On a 1982 Timer Code copy which I have

Thank you Jason. 1982 was a great year. I only remember seeing it on 'Rock Around The World'. I still have his album.

Countdown December 19 1982 episode if that is of interest.

Guru Bob
Countdown December 19 1982 episode if that is of interest.

Thank you Guru Bob.

Yes - would have to agree Jason and Gurubob - the intro to "Edge of the Wedge" was great - very 80s. Almost as good as the intro to the classic "Flashez" - it was great to see that magnificent intro again on Saturday mornings retro session. Just need to get those last couple of Flashez shows played in full - noticed a lot of tape damage on Saturday mornings bit with the Red Symons interview though - this looks like an old U-Matic tape. Still, it was great these shows were recovered as for a while nothing at all existed except segments.

Re the Bonnie Tyler episode: Was one of the girls in the Forrest video Sinitta??

YES Jase, it was INDEED Sinitta