Welcome to my forum connected to countdownmemories.com

Discuss everything COUNTDOWN and beyond!

Countdown Episodes * 70s & 80s Australian Music Programs * Music Video * Molly
Trading *  Collecting * Archival Information * Record/CD releases and more .........

COUNTDOWN IS BACK THIS JANUARY, 2019 ...  ON rage !!!!!
Stay tuned below with regular Countdown full archival information for each Countdown episode rage shall be airing every Saturday throughout January ...

Countdownmemories.com forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
rage goes retro 1: FULL IN ORDER COUNTDOWN LINE UP ON rage Saturday, 5 January 2013

THIS WEEKENDS LINE UP for COUNTDOWN on rage!

Year: 1984
Date:09/12/1984
Show no:446
Summary: THIS SHOW FEATURED MOLLY REPORTING FROM TORONTO AND NEW YORK ABOUT A PRINCE CONCERT AND VIA SATELLITE WHAM PRESENTED THE SINGLE 'FREEDOM'. MOLLY TALKED ON THE PHONE WITH MADONNA RE HER SUCCESS IN AUSTRALIA AND MADONNA INTRODUCED HER SINGLE 'LIKE A VIRGIN'.
VIDEO CLIPS:
STYLE COUNCIL 'SHOUT TO THE TOP'
BLUE NILE 'STAY'
HONEYDRIPPERS 'SEA OF LOVE'
INXS 'DANCING ON THE JETTY'
HUMAN LEAGUE 'LOUISE'
I'M TALKING 'TRUST ME'
BAND AID PROJECT 'DO THEY KNOW IT'S XMAS'
ICEHOUSE 'DUSTY PAGES'
SHEILA E 'THE BELLE OF ST MARK'
WHAM 'FREEDOM'
EURYTHMICS 'SEXCRIME (1984)'
CHARTBUSTERS:
PAT BENATAR 'WE BELONG'
PAUL YOUNG 'I'M GONNA TEAR YOUR PLAYHOUSE DOWN'
ALISON MOYET 'ALL CRIED OUT'
HUEY LEWIS 'IF THIS IS IT'
TOP TEN:
CULTURE CLUB 'THE WAR SONG'
SHAKA KHAN 'I FEEL FOR YOU'
SCANDAL 'THE WARRIOR'
DYNAMIC HEPNOTICS 'SOUL KIND OF FEELING'
RAY PARKER JNR 'GHOSTBUSTERS'
DURAN DURAN 'THE WILD BOYS'
WHAM 'FREEDOM'
BILLY OCEAN 'CARIBBEAN QUEEN'
STEVIE WONDER 'I JUST CALLED TO SAY I LOVE YOU'
MADONNA 'LIKE A VIRGIN'

Year: 1983
Date:19/06/1983
Show no:375
Summary: SHOW HOSTED BY BONNIE TYLER AND INCL MOLLY INTERVIEWING TYLER AS WELL AS REGULAR HUMDRUM MUSIC NEWS
STUDIO PERFORMANCES:
MACHINATIONS 'PRESSURE SWAY'
ANGELS 'LIVE LADY LIVE'
BONNIE TYLER 'TOTAL ECLIPSE OF THE HEART'
BONNIE TYLER 'HAVE YOU EVER SEEN THE RAIN'
VIDEO CLIPS:
CULTURE CLUB 'CHURCH OF THE POISON MIND'
FORREST 'ROCK THE BOAT'
THOMSPON TWINS 'LOVE ON OUR SIDE'
THE CURE 'LET'S GO TO BED'
MEATLOAF 'RAZOR'S EDGE'
THE CALL 'WALLS CAME DOWN'
HAYSI FANTAYZEE 'SHINY SHINY'
MICHAEL SEMBELLO 'MANIAC'
TOP TEN:
JOAN ARMATRADING 'DROP THE PILOT'
ELTON JOHN 'I'M STILL STANDING'
EURYTHMICS 'SWEET DREAMS'
NAKED EYES 'ALWAYS SOMETHING THERE TO REMIND ME'
MICHAEL JACKSON 'BILLIE JEAN'
LAURA BRANIGAN 'SOLITAIRE'
RENEE & RENATO 'SAVE YOUR LOVE'
REDUM 'ONLY 19'
MICHAEL JACKSON 'BEAT IT'
BONNIE TYLER 'TOTAL ECLIPSE OF THE HEART'

Year: 1980
Date:30/3/1980
Show no:233
Summary: THIS SHOW HOSTED BY MEMBERS OF BAND RACEY AND CO-HOSTED BY MOLLY (WITHOUT HAT). A FULL LENGTH ADVERTISEMENT FOR THE 'TV WEEK ABC ROCK MUSIC AWARDS' (LIVE FROM MELBOURNE'S COMEDY THEATRE) WAS SHOWN. CHERRY RIPE IV TWO MEMBERS OF THE GROUP 'FLYING LIZARDS' (IN LONDON) DEBRAH EVANS & DAVID CUNNINGHAM RE OTHER MEMBERS, SINGING STYLE/VOCALS, THEIR PARTICULAR ROCK SOUND, MONEY AND THEIR MOST RECENT SONG TV. MOLLY INTERVIEWEDRACEY RE TOURING, SINGLE, NEW ALBUM AND SUCCESS OF PAST
ALBUMS.
LOCAL ARTISTS:
JO STANLEY 'NO MORE SAD SONGS' (LIVE)
LOOSE CHANGE 'HIT ME WITH ANOTHER DOUBLE' (LIVE)
THE STOCKINGS 'STREET TALKING' (LIVE)
SPLIT ENZ 'I GOT YOU'
OVERSEAS CLIPS:
RACEY 'SUCH A NIGHT' (LIVE)
PATRICK D. MARTIN 'I LIKE LECTRIC MOTORS'
MARYANNE FAITHFULL 'BALLAD OF LUCY JORDAN'
JANIS IAN 'FLY TO HIGH'
FLYING LIZARDS 'MONEY' & 'TV'
HUMDRUM ITEMS:
JUDIE TZUKE 'WELCOME TO THE CRUISE'
THE KNACK 'BABY TALKS DIRTY'
KC (HARRY CASEY) & THE SUNSHINE BAND 'PLEASE DON'T GO'
JOHN TOWNLEY 'DREAM'
DAVID BOWIE 'JOHN I'M ONLY DANCING'
OVERSEAS ALBUM PREVIEW:
'THE MOTELS' - THE MOTELS (EMI)
'CLOSETS AND BULLETS'
'CELIA'
'TOTAL CONTROL'
NATIONAL TOP TEN:
POLICE 'WALKING ON THE MOON' (NO.10)
THE JACKSONS 'BLAME IT ON THE BOOGIE' (NO.9)
KENNY ROGERS 'COWARD OF THE COUNTY' (NO.8)
CAPTAIN & TENNILLE 'DO THAT TO ME ONE MORE TIME' (NO.7)
MICHAEL JACKSON 'ROCK WITH 'YOU' (NO.6)
COLLEEN HEWETT 'DREAMING MY DREAMS WITH YOU' (NO.5)
SPLIT ENZ 'I GOT YOU' (NO.4)
CHRISTIE ALLEN 'HE'S MY NUMBER ONE' (NO.3)
PINK FLOYD 'ANOTHER BRICK IN THE WALL PT 2' (NO.2)
QUEEN 'CRAZY LITTLE THING CALLED LOVE' (NO.1)

Year: 1987
Date:15/3/1987
Show no:545
Summary: THIS WEEK'S SHOW IS HOSTED BY THREE MEMBERS OF THE COCKROACHES,TONY,PAUL AND JOHN. MOLLY (WITH HAT)
PRESENTS HUMDRUM FROM HOLLYWOOD,HE INTERVIEWS BILLY IDOL ABOUT HIS NEW SONG 'DON'T NEED A GUN ' AND WHAT IT IS ABOUT.MOLLY TALKS ABOUT THE INTERVIEWS HE HAS FILMED WHILE OVERSEAS AND SHOWS THE US AND UK TOP 5. LOCAL ARTISTS
CATTLETRUCK 'LEAVE ME'(1.02)LIVE
CHANTOOZIES 'WITCH QUEEN OF NEW ORLEANS'(21.04)
HUXTON CREEPERS 'AUTUMN LEAVES'(27.53)LIVE
JOHN FARNHAM 'A TOUCH OF PARADISE'(40.14)
THE COCKROACHES 'SHE'S THE ONE'(18.00)L
IVE OVERSEAS ARTISTS
BON JOVI 'LIVIN ON A PRAYER'(27.15)
STACEY Q 'WE CONNECT'(9.12)
IGGY POP 'REAL WILD CHILD'(17.23)
MEL AND DIM 'SOWING OUT'(20.57)
TALKING HEADS 'LOVE FOR SALE'(24.27)
BANANARAMA 'TRICK OF THE NIGHT'(31.57)
PRETENDERS 'MY BABY'(36.14)
BOY GEORGE 'EVERYTHING I OWN'(47.07)
ARETHA FRANKLIN & GEORGE MICHAEL 'I KNEW YOU WERE WAITING'(57.07)
TOP TEN ITEMS:
DEBBIE HARRY 'FRENCH KISSIN' IN THE USA'
THE ANGELS 'WE GOTTA GET OUT OF THIS PLACE'
EUROPE 'THE FINAL COUNTDOWN'
NEW ORDER 'BIZARRE LOVE TRIANGLE'
CAMEO 'WORD UP'
JOHN FARNHAM 'PRESSURE DOWN'
BANGLES 'WALK LIKE AN EGYPTIAN'
BORIS GARDINER 'I WANNA WAKE UP WITH YOU'
KIM WILDE 'YOU KEEP ME HANGIN ON'

Re: rage goes retro 1: FULL IN ORDER COUNTDOWN LINE UP ON rage Saturday, 5 January 2013

All the added Countdown Promos throughout the night are VERY exciting!

Re: rage goes retro 1: FULL IN ORDER COUNTDOWN LINE UP ON rage Saturday, 5 January 2013

Especially the April '87 one. I don't recall ever seeing it?

I know this topic is a bit old now, but after watching the 9 December '84 episode again, when they previewed '(Sex) Crime 1984' by the Eurythmics, was it done and said as 'Crime 1984' because they weren't allowed to say 'Sex' in that timeslot?

Michael
I know this topic is a bit old now, but after watching the 9 December '84 episode again, when they previewed '(Sex) Crime 1984' by the Eurythmics, was it done and said as 'Crime 1984' because they weren't allowed to say 'Sex' in that timeslot?

Possibly, but then I'm sure they could say the Sex Pistols, so probably not. Maybe it's the connotations of sex + crime together? (i.e. rape)

Yeah, you're right. After all, Countdown did play George Michael's 'I Want Your Sex' in mid '87. Did Countdown ever play 'Sex As A Weapon' by Pat Benatar?...might have to check the archives page.

23/2/1986.

Michael, funnily enough I remember 'Sex As a Weapon' being played as a stand-alone music video during kid's morning TV during the week in early 1986 (or it might have been featured in a 'Cartoon Connection'-type show... although I thought that didn't start until 1987), at around 8:30am! I remember it vividly, as it was on just before I left for school that morning.

It must have been highly edited. It is a bit rude, but then again, it could have gone over kids heads. This is my fave Pat Benatar song, then 'La Bel Age' both from the album 'Seven The Hard Way'.

Michael
It must have been highly edited. It is a bit rude, but then again, it could have gone over kids heads.

It went over mine Though I was all of 7 at the time.

I thought 'Sex As a Weapon' was a kind of men vs women song, I think. Like 'stop using your sex (gender) as a weapon'

The video is pretty much tongue in cheek, which makes it amusing. Have you got her 'Choice Cuts' Video DVD? I never really liked her until I got this DVD for under $10 and now I've been a big fan for about 5 years. The DVD is one of my fave artists video DVDs as it has almost all of her videos plus 'I'm Gonna Follow You' which was never released as a single, but they made a promotional video for it (taken from 'Crimes of Passion' - 1980). A feature on the DVD is Pat and her husband doing commentary on the videos - very interesting stories they tell.

I love Pat. She is my favourite female singer of all time. Le Bel Age is definitely one of her best songs.