Welcome to my forum connected to countdownmemories.com

Discuss everything COUNTDOWN and beyond!

Countdown Episodes * 70s & 80s Australian Music Programs * Music Video * Molly
Trading *  Collecting * Archival Information * Record/CD releases and more .........

COUNTDOWN IS BACK THIS JANUARY, 2019 ...  ON rage !!!!!
Stay tuned below with regular Countdown full archival information for each Countdown episode rage shall be airing every Saturday throughout January ...

Countdownmemories.com forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Rick Astley guest programs Rage

Don't forget tomorrow, it's Rick Astley is guest programming Rage at 10.30 tomorrow morning and at after 11pm tomorrow night, BE THERE!

Re: Rick Astley guest programs Rage

Some nice surprises in the mini-S/A/W special following Rick's guest programming segment

Nathan, I sent this to rage and they 'LIKED' the comment :-)

O-M-G * O-M-G * O-M-G! rage ! You are playing SOOOOOO many of my SAW requests after the Rick Astley programming! O'CHI BROWN Whenever You Need Somebody, BRILLIANT Love Is War, BLUE MERCEDES I Want To Be Your Property, DIVINE I'm So Beautiful, SCARLET FANTASTIC No Memory, LONNIE GORDON Beyond Your Wildest Dreams, BIG FUN Can't Shake The Feeling and REYNOLDS GIRLS I'd Rather Jack! Is this REALLY happening on Australian TV in 2012???!!! Ahhhhhhhh!!!

Nathan, us TWO put in our requests and we are getting a nice amount of them :-)

WE RULE!

Jason 'The Moderator'

Nathan, us TWO put in our requests and we are getting a nice amount of them :-)

WE RULE!

Indeed we do

I'm very surprised they have/were able to source many of these clips... I even feared that 'Never Gonna Give You Up' would be the only Rick Astley clip they have.

Why don't they dig out/air this kind of stuff more often

I STRESS that more people here MUST use rage's Facebook as well. So much negativity on their from Alternative people. We need more 80s heads to support rage so they can play MORE of it. rage have blocked some negative people about this weekend on their Facebook page and they love playing 80s Vintage stuff so go to Facebook as well as the messageboard!

IT'S CRUCIAL!!!

Jason 'The Moderator'
I STRESS that more people here MUST use rage's Facebook as well. So much negativity on their from Alternative people. We need more 80s heads to support rage so they can play MORE of it. rage have blocked some negative people about this weekend on their Facebook page and they love playing 80s Vintage stuff so go to Facebook as well as the messageboard!

IT'S CRUCIAL!!!

Good idea. It seems they listened to our suggestions on the forum, this time, but it's so rare they do that these days. Us both posting on facebook as well (although I don't think I put specific requests there) probably helped 'remind' them.

They're playing BIG FUN! Mark Gillespie, one of the members of the group, is my God Brother! We spent a lot of time with him/his family growing up in Melbourne. We all had a bit of a laugh when they first came out with 'Blame It On The Boogie'. Haven't seen him or my god parents for many years. When I told my friend about it (and the song) in '89, he kept asking me to speak to him and get Mark to introduce him to Kylie - he was a massive Kylie Minogue fan. From what I've been told, Mark still lives in the UK with his male partner. Maybe I should see if he's on facebook?

Michael! WHAT???!!!

I had THE biggest crush on Mark and still DO! I was a HUGE Big Fun fan and still am. I requested Can't Shake The Feeling for the SAW special 2mor morning and they ARE playing it! AHHHHHHHHHH! :-)

He is you god brother, AHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! He grew up in Melbourne? I always thought he was British!

My parents lived next door to the Gillespie's in Richmond in the mid 60's, which is how they got to know them. His parents were tram conductors. I'm pretty sure his parents are of Scottish background. Mark and his younger twin brothers were born in Oz.

Thanks for requesting something different from them. Of course, I will be recording the SAW special and showing this other clip to the family - for a laugh.

Wow Michael!

I'm embarrassed to admit that I didn't know the Jacksons' original 'Blame It On the Boogie', and Big Fun's version (when it entered the top 50) was my first exposure to the song . I was nearly going to buy the cassette single (or cassingle as they were known), but think I opted for Lil Louis's 'French Kiss' instead

'Blame It On the Boogie' was a #37 'hit' in Oz, and 'Can't Shake the Feeling' was a #97 smash a few months later . Both hit the top 10 in the UK though.

Coincidentally, last year I acquired their 'A Pocketful of Dreams' VHS featuring 4 of their videos (including 'Hey There Lonely Girl' ), and this year I got hold of their (well Mark & Phil's, who I believe were an item at the time) comeback attempt - Big Fun II's 'Stomp' from 1993 (thanks to Lee here).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dKRY-aNLvnc

Having watched the S/A/W mini-special from last night, I must say it feels so strange seeing the likes of Sonia, Hazell Dean, and Big Fun videos airing on Rage. I had the Sonia clip from the top 50 in 1989... but weird they aired what seems to be a hybrid of the video and the Countdown Revolution dancers - but with no Countdown Revolution artist/title that I saw, and the complete intro and outro (i.e. it doesn't seem to be directly lifted from a Countdown Revolution episode itself). I have the complete vid on the S/A/W Gold DVD, so all is not lost... but a bit strange seeing the video this way.

It seems that Rage prepared the Reynolds Girls video for airing prior to this year, as it has the old artist/title font. I wonder when they were considering it for?'

The Blue Mercedes clip seems to be the US version of 'I Want to Be Your Property', which I hadn't seen before. I must say I prefer the UK version which is on youtube - if only for the shirt tucked into shorts with belt 'fashion' worn by the singer.

Maybe we should start requesting a full Mardi Gras special for next year, which is an opportunity for them to dig out some more rare-ish/seldom seen S/A/W clips?

I'd love to know what other Brilliant videos they have in the vault/archives, and it would be great to see some more Hazell Dean & Sonia clips on Rage

I recorded it and the firt video I had to see this morning for a laugh and memories was 'I'd Rather Jack'. I remember when we did rollerskating at one of the local rinks for PE in mid '89 and there was a DJ in the box and placed up next to them was the ARIA Top 50 sheet of that week and you could request a song from the charts to be played and I remember someone requested 'I'd Rather Jack' and I requested 'Stuck On Earth' by Alf. . They played them and of course we skated to them. Funny times. BTW - I didn't know that Linda Ronstadt was in The Reynold Girls!

Man...I'm going to show this SAW special to my 13 & 17 year old nephews on Xmas day for a laugh and see their reaction. But strangely enough, I liked this kind of music in the late 80's, but of course I liked all types of artists back then.

Michael
and placed up next to them was the ARIA Top 50 sheet of that week and you could request a song from the charts to be played and I remember someone requested 'I'd Rather Jack' and I requested 'Stuck On Earth' by Alf. .

I hate to ruin your memory, but those 2 tracks were released nearly a year apart in Oz... unless they had multiple ARIA charts there to pick from? Or some other self-made chart?

'Stuck on Earth' charted in the top 50 between 11/4/1988 and 16/5/1988, peaking at #26.

'I'd Rather Jack' charted in the top 50 for a solitary week on the chart week ending 1/5/1989, at #43. I remember sitting up watching the top 50 that morning when it entered. From memory, they also aired the video a few clips before the top 50 began, which was the first time I'd seen it. I was a bit disappointed when it dropped out of the top 50 the following week, because I wanted to record it for my music video tape

By the way, in case you were wondering Michael, the Reynolds Girls *did* release a follow-up to 'I'd Rather Jack', called 'Get Real', on their own 'Reynotone' record label:

Here's the 12 inch version (but not an actual video):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A34HB_reSMw

Apparently Stock/Aitken/Waterman had scheduled a studio session with them to record a follow-up to 'I'd Rather Jack', but it clashed with a holiday cruise the Reynolds Girls had booked, and they refused to cancel the holiday just to record at the studio. S/A/W (or at least Pete) were not impressed, and dissolved their partnership.

There was an internet rumour about 10 years ago that one of the Reynolds Girls, Aisling (the dark haired one) died during childbirth, but it's just a myth. I think I remember hearing one of them was working as a hairdresser, but I don't know how reliable that is.

edit - an an interesting Adele/Reynolds Girls mash-up someone made:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zyR1MieWNwQ

Nathan, you didn't ruin my memory, you only re triggered it. Yes, it was Rollerskating in '88 and '89 in the months of April & May. Thanks. I should have known the difference by a year with both songs. After all I'm a chart freak too.

ohnoitisnathan
Having watched the S/A/W mini-special from last night, I must say it feels so strange seeing the likes of Sonia, Hazell Dean, and Big Fun videos airing on Rage. I had the Sonia clip from the top 50 in 1989... but weird they aired what seems to be a hybrid of the video and the Countdown Revolution dancers - but with no Countdown Revolution artist/title that I saw, and the complete intro and outro (i.e. it doesn't seem to be directly lifted from a Countdown Revolution episode itself). I have the complete vid on the S/A/W Gold DVD, so all is not lost... but a bit strange seeing the video this way.

It seems that Rage prepared the Reynolds Girls video for airing prior to this year, as it has the old artist/title font. I wonder when they were considering it for?'

The Blue Mercedes clip seems to be the US version of 'I Want to Be Your Property', which I hadn't seen before. I must say I prefer the UK version which is on youtube - if only for the shirt tucked into shorts with belt 'fashion' worn by the singer.

Maybe we should start requesting a full Mardi Gras special for next year, which is an opportunity for them to dig out some more rare-ish/seldom seen S/A/W clips?

I'd love to know what other Brilliant videos they have in the vault/archives, and it would be great to see some more Hazell Dean & Sonia clips on Rage

I LOVED the Countdown Revolution Sonia version. I STILL have that exact one with the dancers on my 1989 video taper and was THRILLED to have it in a better picture than I had in 1989!I LOVE the Blue Mercedes video, I orignally taped it on Rock Arena in 1988 and have since lost the vhs tape so it was HEAVEN getting it again Brilliant, O'chi, Divine, Scarlet Fantastic, Blue Mercedes, Lonnie and Reynolds Girls = Heaven

ohnoitisnathan
Wow Michael!

I'm embarrassed to admit that I didn't know the Jacksons' original 'Blame It On the Boogie', and Big Fun's version (when it entered the top 50) was my first exposure to the song . I was nearly going to buy the cassette single (or cassingle as they were known), but think I opted for Lil Louis's 'French Kiss' instead

'Blame It On the Boogie' was a #37 'hit' in Oz, and 'Can't Shake the Feeling' was a #97 smash a few months later . Both hit the top 10 in the UK though.

Coincidentally, last year I acquired their 'A Pocketful of Dreams' VHS featuring 4 of their videos (including 'Hey There Lonely Girl' ), and this year I got hold of their (well Mark & Phil's, who I believe were an item at the time) comeback attempt - Big Fun II's 'Stomp' from 1993 (thanks to Lee here).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dKRY-aNLvnc

I HAD the Big Fun vhs too but it got chucked out by my parents, arghhhhhh! Don't even ask!

ohnoitisnathan

Sigh.... I STILL can NOT believe they found Brilliant for me. LOVE IS WAR is my FAVOURITE SAW produced track EVER! I FINALLY have a good copy, my other copy is from the 80s and is **** condition! I wonder if they have their follow up Somebody?!?!

Jason 'The Moderator'
Sigh.... I STILL can NOT believe they found Brilliant for me. LOVE IS WAR is my FAVOURITE SAW produced track EVER! I FINALLY have a good copy, my other copy is from the 80s and is **** condition! I wonder if they have their follow up Somebody?!?!

Did I send you the 'It's a Man's Man's Man's World' video? I forget.

Not sure, I already had it so it's cool :-) And yes, Neneh will come to you one day! i am a SHOCKER!

Jason 'The Moderator'
Not sure, I already had it so it's cool :-) And yes, Neneh will come to you one day! i am a SHOCKER!

Perhaps... but I have been too, for about the last 2-3 years. Just ask some of the people I've 'traded' with here.

. Yes, still waiting on some stuff from a couple of people here. Perhaps money talks?

Jason, I just posted this finally on the Rage facebook page, under the Rick Astley playlist comments (which no-one will probably notice now):

A few days late in commenting, but I *loved* the Rick Astley GP & mini-S/A/W thereafter. Thanks so much rage for digging those rare clips out of the vault! I never dreamed I'd see the Reynolds Girls on Rage in 2012, ha ha... I like music from most genres, but it was fantastic to see some forgotten mid-late 80's/early 90's pop 'trash' on Rage to give us a break from the usual 'credible' "indie" stuff (some of which I also like, but variety is the spice of life). To paraphrase the Reynolds Girls, "Who needs wall to wall Radiohead or Nick Cave, there's other music like late 80's rave, Demographic video, thank god rage don't only play the clips the indie kids know." x

OMG @ how dead the Rage website message board is at the moment! (or have they just not bothered to update it for over 2 weeks?)

PS Jason I've got Rick's 'Move Right Out' (and 'Cry For Help' and the follow up to Move Right Out whose name escapes me... but it starts with 'Never' from memory) video if you need it.