Welcome to my forum connected to countdownmemories.com

Discuss everything COUNTDOWN and beyond!

Countdown Episodes * 70s & 80s Australian Music Programs * Music Video * Molly
Trading *  Collecting * Archival Information * Record/CD releases and more .........

COUNTDOWN IS BACK THIS JANUARY, 2019 ...  ON rage !!!!!
Stay tuned below with regular Countdown full archival information for each Countdown episode rage shall be airing every Saturday throughout January ...

Countdownmemories.com forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
FRUIT PASTILLES AND SARDINE V!!!!! AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!

rage continues with their OZ music months special tomorrow morning and OMFG! They are playing
FRUIT PASTILLES I Don't Ever Want To See You Again
AND:
SARDINE V Sudan
I am DESPERATE to know if they are the actual video clips. It doesn't say (Countdown Performance) near it so I am UBER excited as I have both Countdown Performances. This is just TOOOO much for me. I am going to fricking DIE DIE DIE of excitement!!!!!!!! Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!

Re: FRUIT PASTILLES AND SARDINE V!!!!! AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!

Would be great if they are the actual clips.

It might be for Sardine V but probably unlikely for Fruit Pastilles as they were just a novelty band that won a contest. However as the single charted they may have had to make a clip for Sounds etc.

I was thinking that Sardine V may be a video and Fruit Pastiles not seeing it was for the Undiscovered Bands competition album. But who KNOWS!

A video would be WILD!!!

The song is WILD! I'm sure anyone watching it this morning (and possibly with a hangover) and haven't seen/heard it beofore, will be going WTF? and the performance comes and goes in a flash. I like the guy in the background dancing like a nut! He goes off!

The guy in the background KILLLLLLLLLS me!

BTW - What month/year was 'Sudan' released and taken from which Countdown episode? I'm guessing 1983, going by the performance?

Features Ian Rilen, (later of X) on guitar, his then wife, Steph, in the stripey headgear singing lead vocals, Johanna Pigott, (of XL Capris and Scribble), on bass guitar and Barton Price, (of the Models), on drums.

Really enjoyed this, as well as On The Alert by the Naturals.

Great to see Rage playing a few rarities on a Saturday morning lately.
Hope they continue the tradition.

Makes you wonder what other gems they're hiding away in the dim, dark recesses of the Rage library??

Christina
Features Ian Rilen, (later of X) on guitar, his then wife, Steph, in the stripey headgear singing lead vocals, Johanna Pigott, (of XL Capris and Scribble), on bass guitar and Barton Price, (of the Models), on drums.

Really enjoyed this, as well as On The Alert by the Naturals.

Great to see Rage playing a few rarities on a Saturday morning lately.
Hope they continue the tradition.

Makes you wonder what other gems they're hiding away in the dim, dark recesses of the Rage library??

Sardine v were certainly not short on talented musicians as you point out. Ian Rilen had also been in a number of other bands including Rose Tattoo. Johanna Pigott was married to Todd Hunter and co-wrote some songs for Dragon such as Rain and also contributed to the Sweet & Sour soundtrack.

It was the only single Sardine v released. In 1983 they released a 12" called I Hate You and in 1985 a self titled MLP. Sudan was actually the B-side of the single, the A-side was Sabotage.

I also loved The Naturals clips. Had seen them on YouTube but not on Rage.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Never knew about The Naturals 'Devil Smile'. WOW, what's the story with it?

I see on You Tube rage played it recently, NO! I missed it :-(

Here I was thinking all along that the bass player on the Countdown Performance for Sudan was a guy but it's Johanna Pigott of Scribble! WOW!!!

AND, now I find out that she wrote Dragon's RAIN, OMG! What a GEM of a woman!

I have the Scribble album and I ADOOOOORE it xoxo
Back to Sardine V, may I add that I LOVE Sabotage, why did they do Sudan when Sabotage was the single, go figure? Though I EQUALLY adore Sudan to DEATH!

I of course have the Timer Code episode with Sardine V but it was NICE to see rage play it, FINALLY! Maybe this is an indication hat rage are playing the 1982 Dr Hook hosted Countdown ...

Love the covers ,Guru.

Yes, I read somewhere that Johanna also contributed to the Sweet and Sour soundtrack....obviously a very talented lady.

Used to like X when they were around - they had some great songs such as Degenerate Boy, Good On Ya Baby , TV Glue and Don't Cry No Tears.
Pretty heavy mainly but good all the same.
Sad that Ian died so young.

I vaguely remember seeing The Natural's "On The Alert" once before on Rage, not too long ago.
Such a quirky, catchy song. She was very cute.

The covers are FAB! I know the Sardine V ones well but never knew of The Naturals! So that is also Johanna in The Naturals, yes?

No Jason, her name is Greta. Sorry, but I don't recall her last name...

Didn't think they were the same girl. Love The Naturals when I saw them on You Tube a few years ago with On The Alert. I requested it on rage but they never payed attention

As I've mentioned, I have a feeling I've seen On the Alert on Rage not long ago - only the once though.

Maybe it was your request and you missed it...

Jason 'The Moderator'
Never knew about The Naturals 'Devil Smile'. WOW, what's the story with it?

I see on You Tube rage played it recently, NO! I missed it :-(

It was played on Rage on Saturday morning just gone at about 8am, about an hour before Fruit Pastilles. I thought you would have seen it as you made comments about Sardine v/Fruit Pastilles so didn't think to mention it.

Jason 'The Moderator'
Here I was thinking all along that the bass player on the Countdown Performance for Sudan was a guy but it's Johanna Pigott of Scribble! WOW!!!

AND, now I find out that she wrote Dragon's RAIN, OMG! What a GEM of a woman!

I have the Scribble album and I ADOOOOORE it xoxo

Christina
Yes, I read somewhere that Johanna also contributed to the Sweet and Sour soundtrack....obviously a very talented lady.

Johanna and Tim Gooding were responsible for creating Sweet & Sour.

I helped get a Scribble album released on CD a while back and got my name in the credits for it, although I can't recall exactly what I did - I think it was just some communication between myself, Johanna and the record company. I wouldn't have thought it was all that much but I get named next to Tim Gooding.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Thank you Guru Bob for helping to get the Pop Art album by Scribble CD released. I had bought it years ago, as well as the Geisha, Pseudo Echo, Jump Inc, V-Capri and The Expression CD's. 'Sunday School' is my favourite song on the Pop Art Album.

I have the Scribble cd that was re-issued. It's AMAZZZING!

I am SOOOO upset I missed The Naturals, I am LIVID! I only knew On The Alert as I saw it on You TUbe a few years ago and DIED for it, NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Can I just DIE!

Guru, can I have both videos???

brett
Thank you Guru Bob for helping to get the Pop Art album by Scribble CD released. I had bought it years ago, as well as the Geisha, Pseudo Echo, Jump Inc, V-Capri and The Expression CD's. 'Sunday School' is my favourite song on the Pop Art Album.

Getting those CDs released was more of an accident than anything by design. I had bought the Pseudo Echo, Geisha and Expression CD's from Almacantar Records and got into a discussion with the guy, Dean, who runs the company after I left a comment on the site. He is an American guy who likes Australian music from lesser known artists. He saw my YouTube channel on obscure Aussie bands and asked me if I could help him get some more released on CD.

I gave him a list of about 50 names and he worked his way through it, narrowed it down to 20 bands and then I started to contact the various artists to see if the project was possible. Most of the artists were more than happy to do it so it just came down to who owned the rights, where the original masters were and if there were any other roadblocks.

I wanted to do Beargarden but Dean had tried previously and couldn't get anywhere. I later learned from talking to Sam that much of the material was lost in a house fire so that was one project we couldn't do.

Scribble I had little to do with. I just got in contact with Johanna and put her on to Dean and that was it. I basically got my name on that one for just one phone call but I guess if I hadn't done that then it may not have happened.

We also did the first Machinations MLP as that had been released on the defunct Phantom label and added the 1980 single version of Average Inadequacy. I found the guys from FX were great and they released their 2nd album - which was never originally released, but we couldn't do their first one as Wheatley wouldn't allow it. I supplied some of the artwork for that.

Jump Incorporated I probably had the most to do with. Martin and Nada were happy to do it but everything had been lost over the years so that entire CD was actually constructed from my vinyl collection. The cover is a scan of my actual LP. I also had all the 4 singles and 2 12" mixes along with their 2 three track singles they released when they were known as Moving Parts in the early 80's. Some of the singles had B-Sides which were not on the original album so they were added but we couldn't work out who owned the rights to Moving Parts so we left that off.

I had something to do with V-Capris but it was only very minor. The next project in 2006 was to be Perfect Strangers and I had sent all of their vinyl over to be done but 6 years later it is still just a project. I have a feeling there won't be any more releases now.

I have over 10,000 LP's, 12" and 45s from the 80's and a lot of it is Australian (including the singles I scanned above) so it was a useful for some of the projects. I once bought 2,000 singles from Jim Keays' collection (who used to be in Masters Apprentices) from his days as a radio DJ in the 80's. Serious music collectors had bought all the valuable items in the collection and all that was left was the obscure material, which suited me fine. I paid $600 for the lot at about 30c each. Someone has the 7" of The Naturals - On The Alert listed on ebay for $32.90 whereas my cover is in better condition and I paid 30c. It's funny when I bought most of my vinyl in the 90's second hand (I had no money in the 80's when it was new) it was virtually being thrown out as everyone was into CDs. Now it sells for crazy prices.

Christina
No Jason, her name is Greta. Sorry, but I don't recall her last name...

Photobucket

Jason 'The Moderator'

I am SOOOO upset I missed The Naturals, I am LIVID! I only knew On The Alert as I saw it on You TUbe a few years ago and DIED for it, NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Can I just DIE!

You can just die if you want to but that sounds rather fatal. I have them on my HDD so can do a copy. I am still busy with another 5 deals trading football footage so it might be a slight delay as I need to get them done as well

I haven't seen the TV Week Countdown scans I sent you appear in the Media section yet, are you still planning to put them up?

Really interesting about Pop Art and the others,Guru.
Great to see they acknowledged your input.

Another cute pic of Greta.
Obviously of Russian or Polish origin, judging by the surname.

I see she has just started a blog called gretamummy on Twitter.
Unfortunately she sounds a bit down and depressed at times though...

Thanks for the info. So that's why I couldn't find 'Sudan' (month/year release) listed in my 'Encyclopedia of Australian Rock' as it was a B side!

Countdown 30/5/82 episode - hosted by Dr.Hook? That's why I don't have the episode 'Sudan' was taken from, as rage haven't shown it. Yes, Jason, here's hoping rage play the Dr.Hook episode in January. But then again, when they showed the Countdown performance of the Models 'Hold On' taken from 12 April '87 episode hosted by Peter O'Brien (The Flying Doctors) I was hoping they would show the full episode in January and they didn't.

I see 'The Naturals' hail from Canberra! (going by the book)

Guru, I too didn't really get into buying LP's, 12", 45's until the early 90's and spent most of the 90's building my collection. I loved trawling through records, while people were focusing on purchasing CD's. Unfortunately, I was after all the mainstream stuff, as that was what I knew. Yeah, I found some obscure/rare stuff (thanks to Countdown being played on rage in the 90's), but wish I got more now!

Guru Bob
Jason 'The Moderator'

Can I just DIE!

You can just die if you want to but that sounds rather fatal. I have them on my HDD so can do a copy. I am still busy with another 5 deals trading football footage so it might be a slight delay as I need to get them done as well

I haven't seen the TV Week Countdown scans I sent you appear in the Media section yet, are you still planning to put them up?

Will put the scans up in January, can't afford it atm

Guru Bob
brett

Getting those CDs released was more of an accident than anything by design. I had bought the Pseudo Echo, Geisha and Expression CD's from Almacantar Records and got into a discussion with the guy, Dean, who runs the company after I left a comment on the site. He is an American guy who likes Australian music from lesser known artists. He saw my YouTube channel on obscure Aussie bands and asked me if I could help him get some more released on CD.

I gave him a list of about 50 names and he worked his way through it, narrowed it down to 20 bands and then I started to contact the various artists to see if the project was possible. Most of the artists were more than happy to do it so it just came down to who owned the rights, where the original masters were and if there were any other roadblocks.

I wanted to do Beargarden but Dean had tried previously and couldn't get anywhere. I later learned from talking to Sam that much of the material was lost in a house fire so that was one project we couldn't do.

Scribble I had little to do with. I just got in contact with Johanna and put her on to Dean and that was it. I basically got my name on that one for just one phone call but I guess if I hadn't done that then it may not have happened.

We also did the first Machinations MLP as that had been released on the defunct Phantom label and added the 1980 single version of Average Inadequacy. I found the guys from FX were great and they released their 2nd album - which was never originally released, but we couldn't do their first one as Wheatley wouldn't allow it. I supplied some of the artwork for that.

Jump Incorporated I probably had the most to do with. Martin and Nada were happy to do it but everything had been lost over the years so that entire CD was actually constructed from my vinyl collection. The cover is a scan of my actual LP. I also had all the 4 singles and 2 12" mixes along with their 2 three track singles they released when they were known as Moving Parts in the early 80's. Some of the singles had B-Sides which were not on the original album so they were added but we couldn't work out who owned the rights to Moving Parts so we left that off.

I had something to do with V-Capris but it was only very minor. The next project in 2006 was to be Perfect Strangers and I had sent all of their vinyl over to be done but 6 years later it is still just a project. I have a feeling there won't be any more releases now.

I have over 10,000 LP's, 12" and 45s from the 80's and a lot of it is Australian (including the singles I scanned above) so it was a useful for some of the projects. I once bought 2,000 singles from Jim Keays' collection (who used to be in Masters Apprentices) from his days as a radio DJ in the 80's. Serious music collectors had bought all the valuable items in the collection and all that was left was the obscure material, which suited me fine. I paid $600 for the lot at about 30c each. Someone has the 7" of The Naturals - On The Alert listed on ebay for $32.90 whereas my cover is in better condition and I paid 30c. It's funny when I bought most of my vinyl in the 90's second hand (I had no money in the 80's when it was new) it was virtually being thrown out as everyone was into CDs. Now it sells for crazy prices.

What a fabulous read Guru! I didn't know you were so involved with all the cd releases from Almacantar !!! I have the Jump Incorporated one and they are mainly your vinyl rips, hahahahaha. How cool! I too collected all my RARE vinyl all throughout the 90s as in the 80s I could only afford so much with my pocket and lunch money!

I gave him a list of about 50 names and he worked his way through it, narrowed it down to 20 bands and then I started to contact the various artists to see if the project was possible. Most of the artists were more
We also did the first Machinations MLP as that had been released on the defunct Phantom label and added the 1980 single version of Average
I have over 10,000 LP's, 12" and 45s from the 80's and a lot of it is Australian (including the singles I scanned above) so it was a useful for some of the projects. I once bought 2,000 singles from Jim Keays' collection (who used to be in Masters Apprentices) from his days as a radio DJ in the 80's. Serious music collectors had bought all the valuable items in the collection and all that was left was the obscure material, which suited me fine. I paid $600 for the lot at about 30c each. Someone has the 7" of The Naturals - On The Alert listed on ebay for $32.90 whereas my cover is in better condition and I paid 30c. It's funny when I bought most of my vinyl in the 90's second hand (I had no money in the 80's when it was new) it was virtually being thrown out as everyone was into CDs. Now it sells for crazy prices.[/quote]

Wow! GuruBob, you must have some collection. I have some, but not as much as you.I always look for Australian CD's and Records from the 70's and 80's. Most of the 2nd hand Record stores are gone from my area. So I have to rely on Record Fairs, but they are not cheap and most times they don't have what I'm after.

It took me forever to get Christie Allen's second album Detour. I had given up hope, but then I found a pristine copy for a few dollars. I have her first album on CD.

brett
I always look for Australian CD's and Records from the 70's and 80's. Most of the 2nd hand Record stores are gone from my area. So I have to rely on Record Fairs, but they are not cheap and most times they don't have what I'm after.

It took me forever to get Christie Allen's second album Detour. I had given up hope, but then I found a pristine copy for a few dollars. I have her first album on CD.

You obviously have a good collection and looked out for rare items over the years. Can't say I have either of the Edith Bliss or Christie Allen albums.

70's and 80's music is vanishing now and harder to find. Here in Melbourne we used to have Batman Records and Dixon's Recycled Records but there is nothing like that anymore. I remember going into one music shop next to Glenferrie train station in the late 90's and while the CDs were at about $20 ea they had picked up a collection of 12" vinyl from a former 80's Radio station and were selling them at 10 for $1 - I spent about $80 on 800 records and nearly got a hernia trying to get it home.

Sunday Trash markets at Camberwell and Wantirna used to be places where I would walk out with a bag weighed down with vinyl and I had only spent $10-$15 for the day. I bought a lot of albums purely for their 80's pop artwork to use as wallpaper in my music room - at 20c each it was cheaper than painting or actual wallpaper. Now the stores have gone and the trash markets sell cloths. eBay is largely responsible for that sort thing also as everything has gone online but the prices have gone through the roof. I couldn't start a collection now as it would be unviable.

I go to Record Fairs occasionally but the prices and the items on offer mean I usually buy very little. On the tables there would be Bowie or Stones LPs for $30 each while guys in their 50's with pony tails and black t-shirts discuss the relative merits of these items which are of no interest to me. I would look below the tables where the bargain boxes are with obscure 80's material, but even then there is not much and if there is it is over-priced.

I used to find music mags and papers like Countdown magazine, Smash Hits, Juke and RAM for $1 each but that has dried up as well. It all used to be a very cheap entertaining hobby but now I only add to it when I find a must-have type item and pay today's prices for it. Found some great early Models and Triffids tour and pub gig posters but they were $25 each. It's just the way it has gone, thank god I bought what I did back then.

'Guru' - Glenferrie record store outside the train station

Jason: YES YES YES Guru ... I used to go there ALLLLLLL he time and remember they had the bottom on the ground filllllllllllllled with 12"...s that were $1.00! I used to come out of that store with sooooooooooo many records. I was so devastated when that amazing store closed. As well as Batman which I loved so dearly :-( Terrible they are all gone now

Brian Canham lived near the Gelenferie records store, my friend and I knocked on his door in the 90s and that's when he signed all my Pseudo collection and took photos with me for the first time (hehehehe)

Jason 'The Moderator'

Jason: YES YES YES Guru ... I used to go there ALLLLLLL he time and remember they had the bottom on the ground filllllllllllllled with 12"...s that were $1.00! I used to come out of that store with sooooooooooo many records. I was so devastated when that amazing store closed. As well as Batman which I loved so dearly :-( Terrible they are all gone now

Brian Canham lived near the Gelenferie records store, my friend and I knocked on his door in the 90s and that's when he signed all my Pseudo collection and took photos with me for the first time (hehehehe)

It was only a small shop but it was amazing how much they squeezed in there. That was the only problem with being a vinyl collector in the 90's shops. The CD's were at standing height while I was spending a couple of hours under the benches where all the 12"'s were, getting sore knees and back but it was worth it.

$1 ea was OK but when they had the 10 for $1 sale I went nuts in there - filled up 4 milk crates at 200 records per crate - and still barely made a dent in their total stock.

Many I had never heard of the artists, they were mostly promo issues sent to radio stations, so I just looked at the release date and if it was in the 80's I took a punt on a 10c record. I discovered many Italo/Euro disco artists there as they seemed to have a lot of that amongst their titles.

I gave up record hunting some time ago. Not because of the prices, but these days the very little shops that sell them here, have them all in milk crates on the floor and in no categories. Unfortunately, the condition of most are good, but I always try to purchase vgc to exc. condition. Usually if I see something, I go 'now can I get that on CD'? If I can, I pass on it. However, I still get the occassional 12" as you can't get them on CD! and the curiosity gets the better of me when I imagine what the 12" would sound like. My favourite possession is all my 45's that I collected in the mid 90's (thanks to Countdown on rage for exposing me to many of those songs/records). Now I'm just holding out for a juke box to purchase (when I have a lot of disposable cash) to put them in. Then it's party at my house!

Guru Bob
Jason 'The Moderator'

It was only a small shop but it was amazing how much they squeezed in there. That was the only problem with being a vinyl collector in the 90's shops. The CD's were at standing height while I was spending a couple of hours under the benches where all the 12"'s were, getting sore knees and back but it was worth it.

$1 ea was OK but when they had the 10 for $1 sale I went nuts in there - filled up 4 milk crates at 200 records per crate - and still barely made a dent in their total stock.

Many I had never heard of the artists, they were mostly promo issues sent to radio stations, so I just looked at the release date and if it was in the 80's I took a punt on a 10c record. I discovered many Italo/Euro disco artists there as they seemed to have a lot of that amongst their titles.

YES, the $1.00 for 10 was ridiculous! Believe me, it used to KILL me going through that whole bottom rack that went on forever on the floor but I would end up with GEMS, GEMS and GEMS. Most of the stuff I bought I knew but there were some I bought because I KNEW they would be AMAZING from the producer, year or cover art work!

I too, have bought several albums just for their covers!