Welcome to my forum connected to countdownmemories.com

Discuss everything COUNTDOWN and beyond!

Countdown Episodes * 70s & 80s Australian Music Programs * Music Video * Molly
Trading *  Collecting * Archival Information * Record/CD releases and more .........

COUNTDOWN IS BACK THIS JANUARY, 2019 ...  ON rage !!!!!
Stay tuned below with regular Countdown full archival information for each Countdown episode rage shall be airing every Saturday throughout January ...

Countdownmemories.com forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Countdown - TV Week June 3 1978

Re: Countdown - TV Week June 3 1978

Really loving these scans, very entertaining.

Do you have complete TV Weeks or just bits from them? The pics in them look great. TV Week used to be 'must read' back in the 70s/80s for me, far more substantial than it is today....

Patrick
Really loving these scans, very entertaining.

Do you have complete TV Weeks or just bits from them? The pics in them look great. TV Week used to be 'must read' back in the 70s/80s for me, far more substantial than it is today....

I have about 300-400 copies of TV Week from 1974-1989, maybe more (I like the first 15 years of colour TV - even if I only had a B&W set until 1980). They are mostly complete. A lot I have gotten via ebay which means I get them from all over and it is interesting as you see the programming differences in the individual states.

The whole magazine is generally just a great snapshot of that particular week but they are getting more expensive at around $15-$20 per copy for a standard issue from the 70's - and a lot more if they feature ABBA, KISS or a popular collectable TV show. Any issues with Charlie's Angels or Prisoner featured go for more as there seem to be overseas fans willing to pay a bit for those.

I was just researching the interstate football broadcast times/programs in a few when I came across the 1981 Countdown article that I put up the other day. When Jason said he wanted it I put up 2 more that I remembered. I had emailed those scans to Troy once (at the Lost 70's Countdown site) and he put a couple of the 1974 pictures up. Since the Samantha Sang hosted episode has been wiped we at least get a little more info on how the show opened via articles like these.

If I find more Countdown specific ones I will post them. Molly had a weekly column in them so there is a lot more I could post if I had the time. Once footy season is over I may look into it.

It wasn't just TV Week that was handy with this material. TV Times was also good (It got taken over by TV Week in around 1980) so there are more items to look for.

HEAVEN, these are GREAT! Will put them on countdownmemories FOR SURE!

I am SO jealous, I have wanted TV Weeks for agggges. Decades and decades to look at the original TV Guides, I have a few but they have been SO expensive and hard to get.

In the 80s we never thought of keeping them, now such REGRETS!!!

HEY Guru BOB,
I remember on the abc series love is in the air episode strange fruit they played the Samantha Sang molly fight. Comedian Maurie Fields was the announcer.

adam w
HEY Guru BOB,
I remember on the abc series love is in the air episode strange fruit they played the Samantha Sang molly fight. Comedian Maurie Fields was the announcer.

Thanks for that info Adam, will have to find my copies of Love Is In The Air and check it out.

Guru Bob
adam w
HEY Guru BOB,

Thanks for that info Adam, will have to find my copies of Love Is In The Air and check it out.

If there is footage of this episode from 'Love Is In The Air' then wouldn't the episode exist?

That Samantha Sang footage can briefly be seen on the 10 December 1978 episode which looks back at Countdown for that year.

Sadly like most from the 70's, that particular episode got wiped. Very tragic and any complaints should be directed to those in charge at that time....

Thanks Patrick, I was very puzzled. I'll check out the episode and have a good laugh.

Hey Guru Bob,
I have a question to ask. would it be possible to have a copy of the scans of the Samantha Molly Fight. That TV Week Features Samantha on the cover.

Why i ask is that I lost that particular TV week with Samantha on the cover.

adam w
Hey Guru Bob,
I have a question to ask. would it be possible to have a copy of the scans of the Samantha Molly Fight. That TV Week Features Samantha on the cover.

Why i ask is that I lost that particular TV week with Samantha on the cover.

Hi Adam
The TV Week issue which features the Samantha Countdown article was June 3 1978 and featured Lorraine Bayley (Sullivans) on the cover.

I think the issue you are referring to with Samantha on the cover is May 20 1978 which also has a 2 page spread on her inside.

She also appeared as the Giant Pin Up in the April 22 1978 issue which had The Fonz on the cover. I can't show the entire poster as my scanner is not big enough for A3 format

Which image were you after? Let me know and I can email them.

Hey Guru Bob,
I thought you may like to know on the 1979 Countdown Annual Jason has on the website. They have a photo of Samantha with Molly. They have photo from artists who appeared on Countdown during 1978.

Thanks for that Adam. That annual is a fantastic time capsule of 1978 Countdown, most of which has been wiped. The pictures are so enticing but it is all we will ever see of many of those shows again.

Hi Guru Bob. I was just going through old posts from 2012 and came across this great post from you, detailing your collection of TV Weeks and TV Times.

By chance, would there be any information in the TV guides and/or articles which give an indication of hosts of shows throughout the 70s? You may find valuable information which could fill in the gaps.

Thought I would ask ... thanks.

There is very little information on what appeared on particular episodes as the program guide was produced about a week in advance of the screening. The daily newspapers, particularly in Melbourne, contained the most detailed episode lists.

Molly did write articles in TV Week, amongst other publications, and would occasionally mention artists who had appeared or were going to appear on the show. Not sure if there would be new information amongst my collection of TV Weeks but if I find any I will post it here somewhere.

Countdown references appeared in many places. Below is a Countdown Top 30 Chart which appeared in Spunky (there's a word no longer in use) magazine in 1976/77.

photo countdown_zpsxvacdgus.png

Thanks Armin. Great article!