Welcome to my forum connected to countdownmemories.com

Discuss everything COUNTDOWN and beyond!

Countdown Episodes * 70s & 80s Australian Music Programs * Music Video * Molly
Trading *  Collecting * Archival Information * Record/CD releases and more .........

COUNTDOWN IS BACK THIS JANUARY, 2019 ...  ON rage !!!!!
Stay tuned below with regular Countdown full archival information for each Countdown episode rage shall be airing every Saturday throughout January ...

Countdownmemories.com forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
B-Side Babies

I mentioned 'You Remind Me Of Gold'(brilliant b side to 'Mirror Man') in the HL thread & thought I might start a thread just for discussion of b sides.

Some other gems-

'Glow' - Spandau Ballet
'Gently' - Spandau Ballet
'Facility Girls' - Soft Cell
'Faster Than Light' - Duran Duran
'Running Thin' - Blancmange
'Beat My Guest' - Adam Ant

Re: B-Side Babies

Adam Ant has so many great b-sides:

Christian D'or
Beat My Guest
Kiss The Drummer
Fall-In
Physical ( You're So)

Duran Duran B-sides:

Late Bar
Secret October
Khanada

Like A Gun - Real Life

OH YEAH Gary, your taste is RIGHT up my alley!!!

At first when I saw your post I thought it was going to be about Adam Ant (he, he, he)

'Beat My Guest' is my FAVOURITE EVVVER Adam And The Ants track, PERIOD!.... He is doing it in his current shows, I can't WAIT to see him perform 'Beat My Guest' in Melbourne on March 30th :-) FAV bit is at the end when Adam says 'Alright Muchasos'!

Though I like Faster Than Light by Duran Duran... I LOVE 'Late Bar' and 'Khanada' the most! They are my 2 FAV Duran B-Sided (STUNNING) *+* They are both in my Top 10 favourite Duran tracks EVER!

And I 101% AGREE about Spandau Ballet's 'Glow'. Such a FIERCE track!!! The percussion, synths, bass and edgy vocals from Tony are purely GENIUS. Gently is also a nice calming one :-) Why Glow wasn't a single is CRIMINAL as it's MUCH better than 'Musclebound'!

Some other gems:
*Visage - Frequency 7 (Original Vocal version!!!)
*Visage - In The Year 2525
*Visage - I'm Still Searching
*Ultravox - Alles Klar
*The Human League - Hard Times
*The Human League - Non Stop
*The Human League - Total Panic
*Duran Duran - Like An Angel
*Duran Duran - Secret Oktober
*Duran Duran - Faith In This Colour (Slow and Fast versions)
*Duran Duran - Decadance
*Simple Minds - Soundtrack For Every Heaven
*Kim Wilde - Just Another Guy
*Kim Wilde - Watching For Shapes
*Kim Wilde - Lovers On A Beach
*Kim Wilde - Boys
*Eurythmics - I Could Give You A Mirror
*Eurythmics - Let's Just Close Our Eyes
*Eurythmics - Monkey, Monkey
*Eurythmics - You Take Some Lentils ...
and You Take Some Rice
*Culture Club - Love Is Cold (You Were Never No Good)
*Culture Club - Mystery Boy
*Culture Club - Manshake
*CUlture CLub - Colour By Numbers
*Culture Club - Don't Go Down That Street
*Culture CLub - Luxury To Heartache
*Boy George - State Of Love
*Boy George - Are You Too Afraid?
*Boy George - Use Me
*Boy George - Girlfriend
*Boy George - Leave In Love
*Tears For Fears - We Are Broken
*Bananarama - Push
*Bananarama - Cairo
*Bananarama - No Feelings
*The Quick - To Prove My Love
*Psuedo Echo - Turning The Pages
*Pseudo Echo - In Their Time
*Pseudo Echo - Autumnal Park
*Pseudo Echo -Scripts
*Pseudo Echo - All Tied Up
*Beargarden - Sixty Perfect Windows
*Inxs - Space Shuttle
*Inxs - Any Day But Sunday
*Inxs - Over You
*Machinations - Machinations Of Dance
*The Cure - The Exploding Boy
*The Cure - A Man Inside My Mouth
*Classix Nouveaux - 623
*Talk Talk - ?
*Thompson Twins - Beach Culture
*Thompson Twins - Lucky Day
*I'm Talking - Take It To The Bridge
*I'm Talking - Disko (Fall In Love Forever)
*Kylie Minogue - We Know The Meaning Of Love
*Kylie Minogue - Just Wanna Love You
*Kylie Minogue - Made In Heaven

And Gary, have a look at the link below. A video I made last year for The Human League's stunning 'You Remind Me Of Gold'. Their BEST B-Side (sigh...)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ik4pPCpXxj4

Simple for me, favourite B-side, "I'm Over You", which is the flip side to "What You Need" by INXS. Great music! I noticed you included this also Jase.

Matt73
Simple for me, favourite B-side, "I'm Over You", which is the flip side to "What You Need" by INXS. Great music! I noticed you included this also Jase.

ABSOLUTELY, of course I included 'Over You'. It's my FAVOURITE ever Inxs B-Side and in my Top 5 FAV Inxs tracks EVER. Such an unbelievable track that was wasted as a B-Side when it SHOULD have been a bloody single!... Argh :-(

What a great discussion thread

So many, but it's late and I'll need to do some thinking and rummaging over the weekend...but one that sprung immediately to mind.

Bucks Fizz - When We Were At War

I know most of you just rolled your eyes, but seriously...they were so underrated. I loved them then and still do now.

This song was the b-side to the far inferior "Rules Of The Game" single from 1983.

"When We Were At War" is one of only a handful of songs they wrote & produced themselves, and in my mind it's a beautiful, poignant, 6 minute masterpiece. The outro utilises that amazing layered vocal sound that 10CC created with "I'm Not In Love" accompanied by soaring synthesisers.

It is a beautiful piece of pop music.

Set aside your preconceived ideas of the group, put on a pair of good headphones, turn it up loud and allow yourself to be immersed in it...it really is spectacular and quite magical. You'll discover something quite special I think

http://youtu.be/XkhbFS4GzTE

Bucks Fizz had some great singles - including one of my all time faves 'The Land Of Make Believe'

Jason - checked out your video..cool pics & nice use of the brilliant video for 'Glittering Prize'! Liked your list too...especially 'Frequency 7' & Visages update of 'In The Year 2525'

Nice picks by Brett as well..love 'Christian D'or'.

Everbody has great picks for the b-sides. My Favourite Ultravox B-Side:

Ultravox-'Paths and Angles'

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UtzPdf0hgbU

I never got into B sides. Can't even pick one that comes to mind! I was just an A side singles S L U T! , but I must admit your lists inspire me. Buck Fizz were pure pop. Fave song is 'Piece Of The Action'.

Really Michael?

I ALWAYS have found that 80s B-Sides were 100% better than the singles. They were SUCH a special TREAT!!!

Yeah, I guess I always thought listening to B sides was too much of an effort and always thought (or the ones that I did listen to) were less superior than the A side.

Many excellent selections already listed!

Another suggestion for the list is the various B sides of Simple Minds singles in the early-mid 80's; they had some interesting instrumentals, like "Brass Band in Africa".

This was before they went too far into their stadium phase...

There have been many B-Sides that have been hits:

Rock Me-ABBA
In The Flesh-Blondie
Maggie May-Rod Stewart
Bom Bom-Daddy Cool

The Sweet had great b-sides as well. That's when I started to play the flipside of singles.

Even Red Symons wrote a song about it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ey9fvEOULI

Yeah many hit singles were originally b-sides.

Some others
The Model - Kraftwerk
Groove Is In The Heart - Deee-lite

Yes, I found it VERY interesting that The Model was originally a B Side, YET their BIGGEST ever single!!!

I used to be a big Tori Amos fan, and many of the b-sides from her first 2 albums were excellent, as were most Kate Bush b-sides.

Bananarama's 'Ghost' is another favourite of mine, and Mel & Kim's 'You Changed My Life'.

Nathan, I also LOVE Mel And Kim's 'You Changed My Life'. I remember in 1989 I bought 'That's The Way it Is' 12"... and when I heard the B Side 'You Changed My Life' I was in HEAVEN. It remains my very Numero Uno FAVOURITE Mel And Kim track EVVVVER. 'I'm The One Who Really Loves You' is good to.

I LOVE Bananarama's 'White Train' for a B-Side, it's fantastic!!!

This thread is HEAVEN!

Gary
Yeah many hit singles were originally b-sides.

Some others
The Model - Kraftwerk
Groove Is In The Heart - Deee-lite

Not to mention Maggie May by Rod Stewart which was the B side to Reason To Believe (which The Carpenters turned into a hit).

Hoin
Not to mention Maggie May by Rod Stewart which was the B side to Reason To Believe (which The Carpenters turned into a hit).

It's not that surprising(that it was the b-side) as it's not that great a song and far from his best work('Sailing','Young Turks'et al). But it caught on and became a huge hit.

An AA b-side (of 'Goody Two Shoes') I forgot to mention is the amazing 'Red Scab',a killer track and quite different to his usual style.

The sheer GENIUS and BEAUTY of Adam Ant is that he is very open and experimental in music style.

Sometimes you never know what to expect with Adam which is ALWAYS so refreshing. He is an extraordinary and very charismatic artist indeed!

Jason 'The Moderator'
The sheer GENIUS and BEAUTY of Adam Ant is that he is very open and experimental in music style.

Sometimes you never know what to expect with Adam which is ALWAYS so refreshing. He is an extraordinary and very charismatic artist indeed!

I couldn't agree with you more Jason.

It was great when Adam Ant released the 'B-side babiez' CD. A must have!

Yes, I have it on cd:-)

I actually finally got it in New York when I was there last year at this brilliant 2nd hand record store. They have SUCH amazing music stores in LA and New York, sigh...