Welcome to my forum connected to countdownmemories.com

Discuss everything COUNTDOWN and beyond!

Countdown Episodes * 70s & 80s Australian Music Programs * Music Video * Molly
Trading *  Collecting * Archival Information * Record/CD releases and more .........

COUNTDOWN IS BACK THIS JANUARY, 2019 ...  ON rage !!!!!
Stay tuned below with regular Countdown full archival information for each Countdown episode rage shall be airing every Saturday throughout January ...

Countdownmemories.com forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
rage 3-4am weekday slot

I find it very interesting that ABC1 now have put rage on from Mon to Fri from 3-4am every morning YET there is NO Countdown or any other ABC vintage music programs.

THIS is NOW the PERFECT outlet for Countdown, Rock Arena, Hitscene e.t.c... to be played.

I just don't get ABC's logic at all.

I also saw someone on the messageboard complaining about how rage false advertised late 90s and rage didn't play it (though that is a BLESSING for me)... And no 70s.

rage said that the ABC cut their program by 90 minutes last weekend and that the other 2 Countdown Revolutions were supposed to be on the week before.

What a load of crap when rage played so many video clips in between these programs.

Here is the post:

Author Strawberry Wine
Date/Time 20 Jan 2012 3:04:15pm
Subject Wait, you're skipping the seventies or nineties?
Which one, and why? Or are you combining them into one week?

print email
Recommend this message
Alert moderator

Author Strawberry Wine
Date/Time 27 Jan 2012 10:26:54pm
Subject Re: Wait, you're skipping the seventies or nineties?
Sorry, I stand corrected. You're skipping both. Thank you for falsely raising my hopes with the phrase "takes us up to the end of the 90s". This is blatant misinformation as there are no nineties programs on the Saturday night playlist. I see five late eighties programs. This also happens to be the second time in two weeks that you've falsely supplied information on your website, with the first occasion being that the February the 4th playlist was going to be another retro night. Surely, as a government-funded website, you are capable of better?

Recently, on this message board, I recall making a statement which said something to the effect of that your programmers usually do quite well at managing to cater to everyone during January. I wish to retract this statement. Do not waste my time with your usual cries of "oh, but there was no content from that era, so we decided to skip it". Lies. I see several requests for seventies programming which hasn't been played in recent years, I requested a nineties program and I've seen at least one other request for an unplayed nineties program.

Also, do not claim that you did not have the time to play any extra material, as you played an episode of Countdown which was played last year and was much complained about on this messageboard. This was later revealed to have been to please a single viewer. One viewer, in contrast with the others who had unplayed requests which were overlooked. Do I have the right to ask whether this request came from someone whom the rage staff work for? What do you have to do to receive such superior treatment?

print email
Recommend this message
Alert moderator

Author ABC (Moderator)
Date/Time 31 Jan 2012 3:43:29pm
Subject Re: Wait, you're skipping the seventies or nineties?
Strawberry Wine,

Changes to the start time of rage meant that originally scheduled shows had to be moved to the following week. The Tom Carroll-hosted Countdown and one of the Countdown Revolutions were meant to air in week 4. We decided to show them in week 5 instead of some of the 90s material because we identified a greater demand for it.

You can be sure the rage programmers weren't pleased about having to cut over 90 minutes from the show, but sometimes we don't know the final start time until the day of transmission.

Re: website errors... mistakes happen. That's life I'm afraid!

print email
Recommend this message
Alert moderator

One thing I WILL say for the Moderator is at LEAST they played 80s again last weekend because there is MORE demand for it which is true...

Re: rage 3-4am weekday slot

I gotta admit, I'm in the minority of this board and love my 90s music, but my 90s is top 40 and dance. There was alot of alternative stuff in the 90s that came out, which board the hell out of me. Unfortunately the ABC didn't have any shows in the 90s that represented 90s top 40 and dance, so I guess the best that rage could do is to pick up a top 40 from random, and play it in it's entirety.

Having said that though, I was absolutely delighted with the rage lineup of the 22nd, four 80s countdowns, and a countdown revolution, that was just bloody awesome. I was so happy that night. Also, because the countdowns came from my exact youth years, 1984 to 1987. :)

Exactly - those 4 unrepeated Countdowns and the Countdown Revolution episode were great - a fantastic night indeed.

And I totally agree Rage should use that extra timeslot for their older material. Rage show new video clips all night on Friday anyway. Why not utalise the other timeslot more effectively by showing things people like us really want to see?

Jason, I just read that message on the rage site and I was almost going to post it here - you bet me to it!

They say they make mistakes on their website and that's life, so do they 'release' it on Friday arvo's and then not touch it again til? Don't they get a few people to cross check it for errors?

Anyway, anyone been watching rage at 3am and know what's been showing? Last week, I was up til 3 and the first clip was 'Abracadabra'. Anyone know what playlist that could have been from? I wonder how far back they go in their playlists when they do this hour of programming?

Although much of the criticism of Rage's retro month programming this year has been valid, I fear that with all of the complaints that they may end up scrapping retro month altogether, in which case no-one will be happy

There's too much stuff lurking in the vaults that can't be squeezed into 28 hours of programming a year to please everyone.

Michael
Last week, I was up til 3 and the first clip was 'Abracadabra'. Anyone know what playlist that could have been from? I wonder how far back they go in their playlists when they do this hour of programming?

'Abracadabra' was aired on Saturday morning Jan 14th. Odd that it would be played a few weeks later though.

Nathan you're right. I just checked the playlist and they repeated the songs from 9am-10am Saturday morning 14th Jan. I remember Arcade Fire coming on after Abracadabra, I turned off and went to bed.

Sadly I think the 3-4am weekday slot will only feature repeats of previous slots. While we would all love to see some Retro shows like Countdown etc at other times besides January the workload involved in retrieving the footage, converting to digi-betacam for transmission and obtaining all the necessary music clearances will ensure we only get to see this type of material in January. There has to be a major decision taken at ABC management level in order for things to change in this regard. I am hoping it does happen but I am not holding my breath.

And the Rage teams response to the omission of the 1990s material originally planned for the final Retro week makes perfect sense. Obviously the Countdown and Countdown revolution shown in the last week were planned for the previous week - then the ABC programmers come along and trim Rages airplay time by around 40 minutes during the 2nd last week and a mind-numbing 90 minutes for the final week - in order to show some mindless, boring repeated irrelevant shows in the lead-up that no-one would be watching anyway - no wonder the Rage team get driven to despair!! I don't think it is a simple task to start removing all the individual clips to accommodate time changes so what happens is complete shows get deferred. At least that meant the final week still had some relevance to us!!

Well, I am GLAD it happen ed as at least there was still a ***** of 80s on the final retro weekend even if it wasn't the 80s I most loved.

I still don't understand why rage has to play SOOOO many video clips on Saturday nights this January. If they just stuck to ABC music programs they could fit in more...

I have also noticed this year that many of the Countdown's featured Paul McCartney, so that must mean there is no more problems with McCartney/Beatles footage anymore?

Brett (2)
Sadly I think the 3-4am weekday slot will only feature repeats of previous slots. While we would all love to see some Retro shows like Countdown etc at other times besides January the workload involved in retrieving the footage, converting to digi-betacam for transmission and obtaining all the necessary music clearances will ensure we only get to see this type of material in January. There has to be a major decision taken at ABC management level in order for things to change in this regard. I am hoping it does happen but I am not holding my breath.

@ BRETT - IF THIS IS THE CASE, THEN I WOULD BE MORE THAN HAPPY IF RAGE SHOWED ALL THE COUNTDOWN RE-RUNS AGAIN STARTING FROM JAN. 1993. BETTER THAN NOTHING! AND BESIDES, THEY COULD KNOCK IT OVER IN A FEW MONTHS.

Mark from 2PR FM
I gotta admit, I'm in the minority of this board and love my 90s music, but my 90s is top 40 and dance. There was alot of alternative stuff in the 90s that came out, which board the hell out of me. Unfortunately the ABC didn't have any shows in the 90s that represented 90s top 40 and dance, so I guess the best that rage could do is to pick up a top 40 from random, and play it in it's entirety.

Having said that though, I was absolutely delighted with the rage lineup of the 22nd, four 80s countdowns, and a countdown revolution, that was just bloody awesome. I was so happy that night. Also, because the countdowns came from my exact youth years, 1984 to 1987. :)

Hi Mark

Are you after any particular 90's dance videos? I have tons if you are interested?

What are they playing on the weekly shows?

Lee

Hi Mark

Are you after any particular 90's dance videos? I have tons if you are interested?

Thanks for the offer Lee, not at this stage. I've tape quite a bit of rage from about 1994 to 1999/2000 on to Hifi TDK and Maxell tapes, and eventually when I find the time, I'll be transferring them all across to DVD. I've got all the annual top 50's from 1994 to 2000 in very clean quality, I always recorded on fresh tape, and wounded the tapes through to make sure they would be no lines or damage. When I get across to transferring them, I'll be more then happy to share and swap. :) :)

I recorded this over night to see what they play and it was just all 'chart hits' that they played on Saturday morning...Katy Perry and the like.