Welcome to my forum connected to countdownmemories.com

Discuss everything COUNTDOWN and beyond!

Countdown Episodes * 70s & 80s Australian Music Programs * Music Video * Molly
Trading *  Collecting * Archival Information * Record/CD releases and more .........

COUNTDOWN IS BACK THIS JANUARY, 2019 ...  ON rage !!!!!
Stay tuned below with regular Countdown full archival information for each Countdown episode rage shall be airing every Saturday throughout January ...

Countdownmemories.com forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Fonts used for 1984 and 1985 Countdown captions

Hey all again,

Just wondering if anyone here has ever been able to replicate the fonts used for title/artist song captions during the 1984 and 1985 Countdown seasons. I've always been eager to try and do this myself, but my graphic design skills are absolute ****.

I've always been interested to see what today's video clips would be like with the old Countdown fonts overlaying them... It would be a spinout, I reckon!

Patrick (OzFrog)

Re: Fonts used for 1984 and 1985 Countdown captions

I do like the 1985 fonts used on the shows. Noticed a few years back that it is the vowels that they widen out to make it look that way. God, I sound like a geek!

Michael
I do like the 1985 fonts used on the shows. Noticed a few years back that it is the vowels that they widen out to make it look that way. God, I sound like a geek!

Nothing wrong with that

Do they do it for 'y' when it acts as a vowel?

ohnoitisnathan

Nothing wrong with that

Do they do it for 'y' when it acts as a vowel?

I actually wondered that myself a few years back, but never really bothered to investigate any further. However, having looked at a couple of the 1985 top 10s in my collection, the Y is treated as a consonant in terms of font, whichever way it is used (vowel or consonant).

I also love how they changed the way the 1985 captions appeared as the year progressed (from the 3D all-white flash caption to the coloured rolling captions).

Now who sounds like the geek?

OzFrog

I actually wondered that myself a few years back, but never really bothered to investigate any further. However, having looked at a couple of the 1985 top 10s in my collection, the Y is treated as a consonant in terms of font, whichever way it is used (vowel or consonant).

Which begs the question of what they would do when faced with a long vowel-less word like 'Rhythm'? DeBarge's 'Rhythm of the Night' was out in '85.

ohnoitisnathan

Which begs the question of what they would do when faced with a long vowel-less word like 'Rhythm'? DeBarge's 'Rhythm of the Night' was out in '85.

It would have been consistent with other uses as described previously - the 'y' typeface would be a consonant one. I can't see any reason why they would have two different typefaces for the one letter (sounds notwithstanding).