Welcome to my forum connected to countdownmemories.com

Discuss everything COUNTDOWN and beyond!

Countdown Episodes * 70s & 80s Australian Music Programs * Music Video * Molly
Trading *  Collecting * Archival Information * Record/CD releases and more .........

COUNTDOWN IS BACK THIS JANUARY, 2019 ...  ON rage !!!!!
Stay tuned below with regular Countdown full archival information for each Countdown episode rage shall be airing every Saturday throughout January ...

Countdownmemories.com forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Duran Duran - Careless Memories

Did anyone else notice that this clip which rage played last week is slightly different to the version on the self-titled Duran Duran VHS release from 1983? Two versions of this clip - I never knew. The rage version actually has the ending too, the VHS release is truncated.

Re: Duran Duran - Careless Memories

I recorded it but probably won't keep it as the 1st album re-issue with the rare video's has the full video with the faded out ending!

Clip Magnet
Did anyone else notice that this clip which rage played last week is slightly different to the version on the self-titled Duran Duran VHS release from 1983? Two versions of this clip - I never knew. The rage version actually has the ending too, the VHS release is truncated.

I remember this version back in the days of 'VideoDisc' at 6.55pm on the ABC. They would re-sync clips so you would get the full song like they did with 'Sound Of The Crowd'by The Human League ( They used portions of 'Open Your Heart' to extend it., 'Dancing Like A Gun' by John Fox( They repeated portions of it again).

FABULOUS,.... Hmmmm, Duran Duran, The Human League and John Foxx. Brett, that was like a New Romantic Synth Pop orgasm!

John Foxx is almost forgotten these days except for the hardcore 80's fans like us. Metamatic is one of the classics of the synth/nr genre.

Yes, I saw John Foxx live a few years ago when he came to Melbourne. The show was ABSOLUTELY AMAZING!!!! And John was SOOOO nicer! :-) I got him to sign some of my 7"... singles and got photo's with him.

My favourite John Foxx track is 'Touch And Go'. Metamatic is purely GENIUS of the HIGHEST standard!

Metamatic is a great album. Jason, I would have loved to have seen John Foxx. I was hooked as soon as I heard 'Dancing Like A Gun' and 'Endlessly' all those years ago on 'CountDown'. It was great when his back catalogue was released a while ago.

I LUUUURVE Endlessly and Dancing Like A Gun as well. I HAVE the John Foxx vhs from the 80s with all the video's :-) Would you like a copy on dvd?

The video for 'Dancing Like A Gun' is simply SUPERB *+*

Jason 'The Moderator'
I LUUUURVE Endlessly and Dancing Like A Gun as well. I HAVE the John Foxx vhs from the 80s with all the video's :-) Would you like a copy on dvd?

The video for 'Dancing Like A Gun' is simply SUPERB *+*

Thank you Jason. But I have that Video as well. I found it at a record fair last year and in good condition.

Jason 'The Moderator'
I recorded it but probably won't keep it as the 1st album re-issue with the rare video's has the full video with the faded out ending!

I've not seen the videos on the album-reissue. How does the version on that start? Does it start in black and white with Simon Le Bon walking down a staircase?

brett
I remember this version back in the days of 'VideoDisc' at 6.55pm on the ABC. They would re-sync clips so you would get the full song

Ah yes... "Videodisc" brings back memories. It was simulcast on 2JJJ so they used to re-dub the sound in stereo (radical back in those days) and - more to the point - if the album audio didn't match the video (as it often didn't), they would re-edit the clip to make it fit the audio (making the clip longer or shorter). They also used to arbitrarily re-edit clips even if they didn't need to.

I suspect if someone did that sort of thing today they'd get sued for tampering with the artistic integrity of the original clip, but they got away with it back then. The days of innocence.

Does anyone have a copy of the original "Videodisc" opening title? It was pretty cool - it used a lot of grabs from Elvis Costello's "Accidents Will Happen" if memory serves me correctly.

Clip Magnet
brett
I remember this version back in the days of 'VideoDisc' at 6.55pm on the ABC. They would re-sync clips so you would get the full song

Ah yes... "Videodisc" brings back memories. It was simulcast on 2JJJ so they used to re-dub the sound in stereo (radical back in those days) and - more to the point - if the album audio didn't match the video (as it often didn't), they would re-edit the clip to make it fit the audio (making the clip longer or shorter). They also used to arbitrarily re-edit clips even if they didn't need to.

I suspect if someone did that sort of thing today they'd get sued for tampering with the artistic integrity of the original clip, but they got away with it back then. The days of innocence.

Does anyone have a copy of the original "Videodisc" opening title? It was pretty cool - it used a lot of grabs from Elvis Costello's "Accidents Will Happen" if memory serves me correctly.

Sorry, I don't have the Elvis Costello VideoDisc opening. It's odd that they have now played 3 from VideoDisc 'Singin in the 80's'( which had the Videodisc intro in it) 'I Die You Die'and 'Careless Memories'. Does this mean that they have the clips from VideoDisc in the archives somewhere?

Jason 'The Moderator'

Jason - I think you'll find the version you have is the truncated one, and the one rage played is the full original version.

The one on the Duran Duran re-issue of the first album does fade out and it doesn't have the black and white scenes with Simon Le Bon walking down the stairs like on the 1983 Duran Duran video compilation...