Welcome to my forum connected to countdownmemories.com

Discuss everything COUNTDOWN and beyond!

Countdown Episodes * 70s & 80s Australian Music Programs * Music Video * Molly
Trading *  Collecting * Archival Information * Record/CD releases and more .........

COUNTDOWN IS BACK THIS JANUARY, 2019 ...  ON rage !!!!!
Stay tuned below with regular Countdown full archival information for each Countdown episode rage shall be airing every Saturday throughout January ...

Countdownmemories.com forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Runsheet of the 8 Hitscene Episodes this weekend.

Hi Guys,

If anyone's interested here is the runsheet on what's featured in these 8 Hitscene episodes:

Ep 3 May 24 1969
BARRY RYAN LOVE IS LOVE
CAM-PACT POTION OF LOVE
CAM-PACT INTERVIEW
PETER SARDSTEDT WHERE DO YOU GO TO
DICK WILLIAMS STATE TOP 3 CHARTS (GREAT AUST GRAPHIC!)
RUSSELL MORRIS THE REAL THING
RUSSELL MORRIS INTERVIEW
BONZO DOG DOO DAH BAND URBAN SPACEMAN
DICK WILLIAMS RECORD REVIEW: DIONNE WARWICK, JAMES LAST, WHITER SHADE VARIOUS ARTISTS, LAUGH IN
JEANNIE C RILEY THE GIRL MOST LIKELY
DAISY CLOVER BUTTERFLIES
DAISY CLOVER INTERVIEW

Ep 4 May 31 1969
OPENING TITLES DICK DRIVING MONARO PAST VALENTINES (?)
GATHERING LOVELY LORETTA
GATHERING INTERVIEW
HELEN SHAPIRO TODAY HAS BEEN CANCELLED (HIT SCENE CLIP USING STILLS)
HELEN SHAPIRO INTERVIEW
JOSE FELICIANO HIGH HEALED SNEAKERS (SEEMS ANOTHER CLIP USED WITH THIS SONG)
JOSE FELICIANO DICK REPORTS ON HIS GRAMMY WINS
GLEN CAMPBELL GALVESTON (HIT SCENE CLIP?)
DICK WILLIAMS STATE TOP 3 CHARTS (GREAT AUST GRAPHIC!) REAL THING, GET BACK, PETER STARDSTEDT FEATURES
DOUG ASHDOWN THE DAY THEY FREED THE NOISE
DOUG ASHDOWN INTERVIEW
SAMMY DAVIS JUNIOR RHYTHM OF LIFE (FROM FILM SWEET CHARITY)
DICK WILLIAMS RECORD REVIEW:COL NOLAN & THE SOUL SYNDICATE, CREEDENCE CLEARWATER REVIVAL, ELVIS PRESLEY, POPS
DOUG PARKINSON IN FOCUS INTERVIEW
DOUG PARKINSON IN FOCUS DEAR PRUDENCE

Ep 10 July 12 1969
OPENING TITLES DICK DRIVING MONARO PAST VALENTINES (?)
SONNY CHARLES AND CHECKMATES LTD. BLACK PEARL
STRANGERS LADY SCORPIO
STRANGERS INTERVIEW
BARRY RYAN LOVE IS LOVE
DICK WILLIAMS STATE TOP 3 CHARTS
CREEDENCE CLEARWATER REVIVAL I PUT A SPELL ON YOU
RONNIE CHARLES YOU GOTTA LIVE LOVE
RONNIE CHARLES INTERVIEW (RE LEAVING THE GROOP & NEW RECORDING CONTRACT)
MICK JAGGER AS NED KELLY VOX POPS IN BONDI, SYDNEY ON JAGGER'S SUITABILITY AS ACTING AS NED KELLY
DICK WILLIAMS RECORD REVIEW: GOODBYE COLOMBUS OST, 5TH DIMENSION, GLEN CAMPBELL, UNDERGROUND, CREEDENCE CLEARWATER REVIVAL
VALENTINES (WITH BON SCOTT OF AC/DC) INTERVIEW (MAINLY WITH VINCE LOVEGROVE)
VALENTINES (WITH BON SCOTT OF AC/DC) KNICK KNACK PADDY WHACK

Ep 12 July 26 1969
OPENING TITLES DICK IN MONARO & DUNE BUGGY
FLYING CIRCUS LA LA
DAISY CLOVER TELL ME
RUSSELL MORRIS THE REAL THING
GARRY KESEKER INTERVIEW
GARRY KESEKER COLUMBINE
SIR DOUGLAS QUINTET MENDOCINO
MARC PETRIE DOES YOUR MOTHER KNOW
DICK WILLIAMS RECORD REVIEW: TEMPTATIONS, SANDIE SHAW, NINA SIMONE, TRACES
STEPPENWOLF SOOKIE SOOKIE

Ep 13 Aug 2 1969
BOB DYLAN SUBTERRANEAN HOMESICK BLUES (LANEWAY WITH LYRIC CARDS VERSION FROM DON'T LOOK BACK INCLUDES ALAN GINSBERG IN BG)
MANX WALKING BACK HOME
MANX INTERVIEW
JIMMY DURANTE THOSE DARING YOUNG MEN IN THEIR JAUNTY JALOPIES (FROM THE FILM OF THE SAME TITLE)
STRANGERS SWEET SEPTEMBER
BOOKER T & THE MG'S TIME IS TIGHT (HIT SCENE CONCEPT CLIP WITH STILLS OF BAND & FROM THE FILM UPTIGHT)
CHIFFONS INTERVIEW
CHIFFONS LITTLE BY LITTLE
DICK WILLIAMS RECORD REVIEW: PROCOL HARUM, JEFFERSON AIRPLANE, THREE DOG NIGHT, TROGGS, ELIZABETH, LOU RAWLS
HAWKING BROTHERS MAN HAS LANDED ON THE MOON
HAWKING BROTHERS INTERVIEW

Ep 15 Aug 16 1969
TOWN CRIERS LOVE ME AGAIN
NINA SIMONE REVOLUTION
RIM D PAUL LITTLE GREEN APPLES
RIM D PAUL INTERVIEW
RUSSELL MORRIS GOLD RECORD PRESENTATION FOR 50,000 SALES OF THE REAL THING FROM EMI
LEE CONWAY FORTY COATS
LEE CONWAY INTERVIEW
DICK WILLIAMS RECORD REVIEW: EYDIE, COWSILLS, APOLLO 11 MOON LANDING, GLEN CAMPBELL, GENE PITNEY, SHIRLEY BASSEY
MARTY RHONE INTERVIEW
MARTY RHONE RUBY WITH THE RED HAIR

Ep 27 Nov 8 1969
LEVI SMITH CLEFS ROAD RUNNER
BEE GEES (WITHOUT ROBIN GIBB) DON'T FORGET TO REMEMBER
DICK WILLIAMS RECORD REVIEW: JACKIE TRENT AND TONY HATCH, TONY JOE WHITE, JOSE FELICIANO, ROY ORBINSON, DAVE DEE ETC
RONNIE CHARLES INTERVIEW
RONNIE CHARLES KATY JANE
JEFF PHILLIPS INTERVIEW
KINKS WONDERBOY
EARTH OPERA HOME OF THE BRAVE
MATT FLINDERS INTERVIEW
MATT FLINDERS PICKING UP PEBBLES

Ep 33 Dec 20 1969
OPENING TITLES WHITE OUTLINE TITLE OVER EXCERPT FROM FILM WINNING
WINNING EXCERPT FROM MOVIE
DAISY CLOVER PENNY BROWN GIRL
DAISY CLOVER INTERVIEW
ROLLING STONES JUMPING JACK FLASH (WITH BRIAN JONES, MICK IN MAKE UP, LARGE SUNGLASSES ETC, B&W EX THE MOVIE POPCORN)
JOHNNY O'KEEFE SHE'S MY BABY
JOHNNY O'KEEFE INTERVIEW
TAMAN SHUD EVOLUTION (EXCERPT OF OPENING TITLES OF PAUL WITZIG SURF FILM "EVOLUTION")
DICK WILLIAMS RECORD REVIEW: WINNING OST, CHUCK BERRY, TOM JONES
SOLITUDE LINDA SUE DIXON
SOLITUDE INTERVIEW
RONNIE BURNS SMILEY (REPEAT)
DELANEY & BONNIE WHEN THE BATTLE IS OVER

There is some rare footage amongst this lot like The Valentines (Feat. Bon Scott) performing "Knick Knack Paddy Whack", The Kinks "Wonder Boy", Marty Rhone "Ruby With The Red Hair", The Strangers (Feat. John Farrar) "Lady Scorpio" & "Sweet September" just to name a few.

Hopefully none of these episodes will be edited as there doesn't seem to be any clips from The Beatles.

So it should be worth watching if you're a 60's fan.

Countdown next weekend I hope.

Re: Runsheet of the 8 Hitscene Episodes this weekend.

Some interesting things in there..
Would love to see the clip for "Where do you go to" ,one of my fave 60s songs
The record reviews sound interesting too

Gary

Hi Gary,

Back on 31st Oct 2011 I made 12 requests to Rage of the 1969 Hitscene episodes and their playing 7 out of the 12. The only one I didn't request was Episode 3 as I wanted Rage to play the very first National Hitscene which was Episode 2.

I'm still very pleased with this selection. I couldn't believe my eyes when I seen the playlist for this Saturday.

Hope they keep up the good work and satisfy the 70's & 80's fans during the next 3 weeks.

I'm glad someone's excited about this playlist, Dave.

It will be good to see Russell Morris 'The Real Thing' without it being the nasty 80s/90s performance that Rage have aired recently.

Can you tell me is any promo/promotional film clips here in Episode 3, 4,10, 12, 13, 15, 27 and 33 of Hit Scene please?

Nicholas
Can you tell me is any promo/promotional film clips here in Episode 3, 4,10, 12, 13, 15, 27 and 33 of Hit Scene please?

Hi Nicholas,

Sure, I can give you the rundown on each episode for the Promo clips as follows:

EP 3
BARRY RYAN - LOVE IS LOVE
PETER SARDSTEDT - WHERE DO YOU GO TO
BONZO DOG DOO DAH BAND - URBAN SPACEMAN
JEANNIE C RILEY - THE GIRL MOST LIKELY

EP 4
JOSE FELICIANO - HIGH HEALED SNEAKERS (SEEMS ANOTHER CLIP USED WITH THIS SONG) Not sure if this one's a Promo.
SAMMY DAVIS JUNIOR - RHYTHM OF LIFE (FROM FILM SWEET CHARITY)
DOUG PARKINSON IN FOCUS - DEAR PRUDENCE. This performance by Doug might have been done in the studio. Needless to say I have seen the promo on YouTube.

EP 10
SONNY CHARLES AND CHECKMATES LTD. - BLACK PEARL
BARRY RYAN - LOVE IS LOVE. Repeat from Ep 3.
CREEDENCE CLEARWATER REVIVAL - I PUT A SPELL ON YOU

EP 12
FLYING CIRCUS - LA LA. I have seen the promo for 'La La' on YouTube. This one could be performed in the ABC studio.
SIR DOUGLAS QUINTET - MENDOCINO
MARC PETRIE - DOES YOUR MOTHER KNOW. This could be an ABC studio performance.
STEPPENWOLF - SOOKIE SOOKIE

EP 13
BOB DYLAN - SUBTERRANEAN HOMESICK BLUES (LANEWAY WITH LYRIC CARDS VERSION FROM DON'T LOOK BACK INCLUDES ALAN GINSBERG IN BG). I've seen this on Rage many times.
JIMMY DURANTE - THOSE DARING YOUNG MEN IN THEIR JAUNTY JALOPIES (FROM THE FILM OF THE SAME TITLE)
THE STRANGERS - SWEET SEPTEMBER. This could be an ABC studio performance.

EP 15
NINA SIMONE - REVOLUTION. Rage has played this promo many times over the years. It's not the Lennon/McCartney cover. Great song.

EP 27
BEE GEES (WITHOUT ROBIN GIBB) - DON'T FORGET TO REMEMBER. Would be interesting to see only if Rage got the clearance to play it.
THE KINKS - WONDERBOY
EARTH OPERA - HOME OF THE BRAVE

EP 33
ROLLING STONES - JUMPING JACK FLASH (WITH BRIAN JONES, MICK IN MAKE UP, LARGE SUNGLASSES ETC, B&W EX THE MOVIE POPCORN). There are 2 promo versions of this song.
DELANEY & BONNIE - WHEN THE BATTLE IS OVER

The other clips would be either performed in the ABC studio (mimed) or by use of concept clips using photo stills as they did during the period as promos were very limited back then.

I just hope all these episodes are unedited with no clips taken out as Rage may not have received clearances from Record companies, etc to view them on TV. Gladly there is no Beatles related footage.

Fingers crossed.

Glad to be of any help.
Dave.

Dave (DJA69)

Gladly there is no Beatles related footage.

The closest we get is Doug Parkinsons cover of "Dear Prudence"
And what a cracking cover it was too.

Gary
Dave (DJA69)

At least that one got played and what a voice he has.

Last night was kind of different from all the Retro nights I've seen over the past 19 years.

I still can't get over the fact that every episode of Hitscene exists and yet the Countdowns from the 70's were wiped - doesn't seem fair at all.

Will be interesting to see what Rage do next week, hopefully lots of unrepeated Countdowns.

I know Patrick,

Hitscene is a load of complete T O S S !

Almost every Episode of GTK survived also.

I've always wanted to see the 1974 Countdown series. Unfortunately their the only one's I've never seen.

Maybe one of the cameramen during the period could have obtained copies from the ABC of those shows like what happened to the lost footage of David Bowie on TOTP in the UK. You'd just never know.

Patrick
I still can't get over the fact that every episode of Hitscene exists and yet the Countdowns from the 70's were wiped - doesn't seem fair at all.

Will be interesting to see what Rage do next week, hopefully lots of unrepeated Countdowns.

It was just luck Patrick - all the Hitscenes (bar a couple)were easy enough to back up on 16mm film as they were shot in black & white and held in the archives, but Countdown was on very expensive colour videotape masters which were wiped over very early in the piece. Sadly, many Countdowns from 1976 to 1979 were not purged until the big government razor gang cut-backs of 1981/82. Do not blame the ABC for that - I think Malcolm Fraser was PM at the time - he is responsible for the loss of all those Countdowns.

Gary
Dave (DJA69)

Hi Dave & Gary - absolutely magnificent - I knew there was a studio version of this track on Hitscene (the promo clip has been shown a few times over the years on Rage) but I never had the priveledge of seeing it till last night - I loved the effect of the shadow/outline of the guitarist behind Doug - that was just superb. Some of Dick Williams interviewing just has to be seen to be believed - and how corny were the Valentines on the end of that episode. The Strangers "Lady Scorpio" is another great piece of late 60s sublime pop - a masterpiece!! There were so many highlights on the night for me - and there were many amongst those 8 Hitscenes.

The Be Our Guest clips were just sensational also - especially The Allusions (although the audio was poor) and the fantastic, sublime Black Diamonds on the beach in 1966. Those two tracks would be amongst the greatest songs ever recorded by a 60's band in Australia - no wonder the original 45 sells for a fortune in auctions!!. The Atlantics tracks are also wonderful.

Dave (DJA69)
Gary

Hi Gary,

Back on 31st Oct 2011 I made 12 requests to Rage of the 1969 Hitscene episodes and their playing 7 out of the 12. The only one I didn't request was Episode 3 as I wanted Rage to play the very first National Hitscene which was Episode 2.

I'm still very pleased with this selection. I couldn't believe my eyes when I seen the playlist for this Saturday.

Hope they keep up the good work and satisfy the 70's & 80's fans during the next 3 weeks.

Fantastic work Dave - and they even showed my No. 1 Hitscene episode want of all time with Doug Parkinson in the studio doing Dear Prudence -and I was not let down I can tell you - better than I ever could have imagined!! This episode seemed to be in much better condition than the other ones as well did you notice -looks like a top-notch telescine transfer where some of the other transfers came up a bit grainy. And that silly map of Australia with Dicks head behind it while they were giving the Top 3 of each state. This is just a priceless piece of Australian pop music history. I had better stop - I am getting carried away.

If it wasn't for Guru Bob with listing those run sheets, we may not have seen any of these.

I can't believe how Dick Williams got away with some of the mistakes he did like forgetting names, song titles etc. lol!

Dick IS a Dick!

May Hitscene not be shown till next year now!

Brett (2)

Fantastic work Dave - and they even showed my No. 1 Hitscene episode want of all time with Doug Parkinson in the studio doing Dear Prudence

Mesmerizing version by Doug,he really nailed it. Reckon Lennon would have approved. Aussies do great covers of Beatles songs,another is The Zoots crazy cover of Eleanor Rigby.

@ Brett (2) - I'd be more than happy to blame Fraser for that one! Such a terrible, awful thing to do in wiping those Countdowns.

But I have heard stories of former ABC staff taking cans of Countdown episodes home after they were given the sack and took some as revenge. I'm pretty sure there are some Countdowns out there and some on video cassette.

Here's hoping some turn up soon.

Jason 'The Moderator'
Dick IS a Dick!

May Hitscene not be shown till next year now!

LOL!!

Patrick
@ Brett (2) - I'd be more than happy to blame Fraser for that one! Such a terrible, awful thing to do in wiping those Countdowns.

But I have heard stories of former ABC staff taking cans of Countdown episodes home after they were given the sack and took some as revenge. I'm pretty sure there are some Countdowns out there and some on video cassette.

Here's hoping some turn up soon.

So do I Patrick - there may be bits of the missing Meatloaf-hosted one from 1978, but other than that, just one decent recovery (July 3rd 1977 which I was involved in) plus the poor quality 1978 one - in all these years!! There has to be more out there somewhere. Time we got active like all those Doctor Who fanatics chasing all those missing episodes. Our friend Troy who runs the missing Countdowns web page has been on the hunt for a long time now, but things have gone quiet of late.

Dave (DJA69)
If it wasn't for Guru Bob with listing those run sheets, we may not have seen any of these.

I can't believe how Dick Williams got away with some of the mistakes he did like forgetting names, song titles etc. lol!

Yep - the Guru has attained legendary status for going to the trouble of doing that. It definitely helped - we all owe him many thanks!!

Dick is also a legend.

I wish Guru never got those Hitscene details out, LOL.....

@ Brett (2) - yes I'm always on the lookout for old tapes etc and do ask around friends I know who deal with old video tapes, etc. You never know what might turn up.

Yes those 1977/78 finds featuring Jon English as host were great.....but as you said it does seem a little odd nothing else has turned up. I'm certain there are more out there somewhere. The only other 70's episode Rage have is the March 1978 one held during the Adelaide Festival - which has sound issues apparently.

Oh well, fingers crossed a lost episode/s turn up soon.

Brett (2)
Yep - the Guru has attained legendary status for going to the trouble of doing that. It definitely helped - we all owe him many thanks!!

Dick is also a legend.

I'm not too sure where I stand on this. I like episodes of Hitscene but after watching a whole night's worth of it, found it was far too much in one go, it should have been spread over 4 nights. It is however the first genuine retro night for 60's rarities that Rage have ever had.

I am glad that I have been able to help out fans of 60's music to some extent but ultimately I am a Countdown fan and what I really want is those 200 unaired shows.

For over 10 years I had suggested Countdowns on the Rage forum and had very little success but for some reason my promoting of Hitscene seems to have played a part in what has transpired.

It seems we will have themes of decades this year - which could be a disaster this week with repeats.

I had a fair bit of debate with Jimmy and Retro Man last year about showing it as 60's/70's/80's/90's and was accused of being in an 80's Boys Club.

In being diplomatic I had suggested a modified version but will have to agree with Jason that themes don't work. That theme is too alienating to the audience as you lose the 75% that don't follow that decade.

What I like about retro is rarities in the way of ABC music shows and not repeats or common clips. You need a bit of everything but most of all you need COUNTDOWN. As long as Rage stay clear of repeats next week then I think Retro this year will be quite adequate.

I suspect that the Rage Messageboard will make for interesting reading tomorrow.

I promise if I ever find the playlists to Recovery they will never appear anywhere.

Guru Bob
Brett (2)

Dick is also a legend.

I'm not too sure where I stand on this. I like episodes of Hitscene but after watching a whole night's worth of it, found it was far too much in one go, it should have been spread over 4 nights. It is however the first genuine retro night for 60's rarities that Rage have ever had.

I am glad that I have been able to help out fans of 60's music to some extent but ultimately I am a Countdown fan and what I really want is those 200 unaired shows.

For over 10 years I had suggested Countdowns on the Rage forum and had very little success but for some reason my promoting of Hitscene seems to have played a part in what has transpired.

It seems we will have themes of decades this year - which could be a disaster this week with repeats.

I had a fair bit of debate with Jimmy and Retro Man last year about showing it as 60's/70's/80's/90's and was accused of being in an 80's Boys Club.

In being diplomatic I had suggested a modified version but will have to agree with Jason that themes don't work. That theme is too alienating to the audience as you lose the 75% that don't follow that decade.

What I like about retro is rarities in the way of ABC music shows and not repeats or common clips. You need a bit of everything but most of all you need COUNTDOWN. As long as Rage stay clear of repeats next week then I think Retro this year will be quite adequate.

I suspect that the Rage Messageboard will make for interesting reading tomorrow.

I promise if I ever find the playlists to Recovery they will never appear anywhere.

PHEW Guru, it is a nice gesture you did for the 60s fans but yeah... If someone excuses of you as being part of the 80s boys club then walk with pride. I DO :-) I am an 80s fiend and always will be and if anyone has a problem with it then TUFF LUCK!... And YES, when rage do themes it's usually a nightmare, glad you
agree!!!

I'm an 80's fanatic as well as a 60's/70's fanatic so I'm happy with whatever Rage show,Hitscene,Flashez,Countdown..anything except Recovery

I'm pretty much 1979-present.

Michael
I'm pretty much 1979-present.

I like the 90's as well but my cut off point for pop music is roughly late 90's. Mid 90's brit pop was brilliant but once Britney and her ilk stormed the charts it was all over
There's still good music around but you've got to look for it cause it sure aint in the pop charts.