Welcome to my forum connected to countdownmemories.com

Discuss everything COUNTDOWN and beyond!

Countdown Episodes * 70s & 80s Australian Music Programs * Music Video * Molly
Trading *  Collecting * Archival Information * Record/CD releases and more .........

COUNTDOWN IS BACK THIS JANUARY, 2019 ...  ON rage !!!!!
Stay tuned below with regular Countdown full archival information for each Countdown episode rage shall be airing every Saturday throughout January ...

Countdownmemories.com forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Molly Meldrum critical after falling off the roof of his home

I'm sorry to have to report this guys:

http://www.news.com.au/breaking-news/molly-meldrum-critical-after-fall/story-e6frfku0-1226223356922

Story goes that Molly fell off a ladder and has been taken to hospital - critical condition and is in an induced coma.

The article also says "AAP understands the man was Meldrum, but the spokeswoman would not confirm it was the music figure."

I hope with all the times we've had wrong information that this is one of those times - hope and pray it's not Molly :-(

Re: Molly Meldrum critical after falling off the roof of his home

Apparently it is. OMG!

Reports are correct. I hope he pulls through, not his time yet.

Oh My GOODNESS!

My friend just emailed me and I googled about Molly.

He fell off a ladder, why, where and how???!!!

I hope he doesn't die or else I and millions will be shattered. Molly, my thoughts are with you +

Just logged on and happened to see the news on the Bigpond home page.
OMG ...a real shock!
Gee I hope he pulls through but it's not sounding good.
I have a lot of affection for old Molly ....no matter what ppl may think of him,he is an absolute icon of the Australian music industry and an institution in his own right...

He BETTER pull through. I have been watching Countdown all week and I love Molly so desperately. He is THE most important figure in Australian music history.

How on earth did he fall off a ladder and why was he so high up, my goodness.

When will we know more?

My thoughts are with him and his family.
God knows what he was doing up a ladder...clearing his gutters perhaps or putting up Chrissy lights??

I will be very upset if he dies as a big part of Countdown will die along with him...

He is NOT going to die, I repeat 'HE IS NOT". He HAS TO be alright.

If Molly dies I will die PERIOD!

Jason,I hope and pray that he will be OK.
Sadly, it's just sounding very grim indeed.

Latest news on SMH Online:

"THE Australian music industry legend Molly Meldrum was last night gravely ill in hospital after falling from a ladder and hitting his head.

Meldrum, 65, is believed to have been putting up Christmas decorations for a party this Sunday when he fell, hitting his head on tiles next to the swimming pool at his inner-city Melbourne home in Richmond. He sustained swelling to the brain and a chest injury.

Paramedics were called to the house about 6.40pm. ''He was unconscious when we arrived,'' an Ambulance Victoria spokeswoman said. ''He has been placed in an induced coma and taken to The Alfred Hospital in a critical condition.''
Advertisement: Story continues below

Meldrum's manager, Mark Klemens, said the next 24 hours would be critical. Garry Spry, who said he had been friends with Meldrum for several decades, said Meldrum's brother Brian was by his side.

Russell Morris, whose 1969 hit The Real Thing was produced by Meldrum, was among friends and relatives who gathered at the hospital last night.

Collingwood president and friend Eddie McGuire found out about the accident at last night's launch of the Big Bash League side the Melbourne Stars.

''We are just stunned, and all praying and hoping that he will be OK,'' he said. ''So close to Christmas, it's just one of those ones that just really hits you hard. Molly is a wonderful person and a huge part of our lives … we desperately hope he is OK.''

A neighbour of Meldrum's, Cristina, said she arrived home and a friend told her that Meldrum had been taken away on a stretcher. An ambulance remained parked outside Meldrum's house about 9.30pm.

Meldrum is one of the most famous names in Australian music. He was the host of music program Countdown from 1974 to 1987, and helped launch the careers of some of the world's biggest acts, including Abba.

Meldrum traditionally hosts a Christmas night party but had moved it forward this year because he was due to fly to Thailand next week.

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/national/meldrum-in-a-coma-following-ladder-fall-20111215-1ox46.html#ixzz1gbvcAQJ0"

Radio news are saying broken ribs and punctured lung but are failing to mention the swelling to the brain. Article also says the next 24 hours will be crucial so keep him in your thoughts and prayers everyone.

Very terrible news indeed.

The report I have just read says he actually fell down a flight of stairs while putting up some Xmas decorations for a party this Sunday.

He's been operated on but the next 24 hrs are critical - we will have to wait and see.

Of course I hope he makes it otherwise I'd be devastated as well - his contribution to local and international music is incalculable and we owe him a lot - here's to some good news soon.

After hearing what happened,if there's one Xmas present we'd all like,its to see Molly out of harm's way.

shocked by this news of his accident. Hoping he pulls through.

Just heard on the radio. Woke up and it was the first thing I heard by the local DJ. He gave the whole story and said that his condition is better than it was a few hours ago (going by entertainment reporter Peter Ford). What a shock, can't believe it, he's a huge part of my life (as us all). I think he'll be OK, just hope there are no long term affects.

From the "Love You Molly" Twitter site...

"I have this vision of Shirley Strachan standing at the end of a tunnel of light telling Molly to **** off and go back home".

Beautiful.

This is such horrible news and like everyone here in the Countdown community who loves Molly I hope he can somehow pull through this. It's so great that so many celebrities here and world wide are showing how much Molly means to them and wishing him well and speaking so highly of him.

Get well soon Moll

Hope Molly's up and with it before Christmas, but we can't expect to see a change until mid next week.

Yes like everybody here this is a terrible terrible tragedy having an accident like this putting up of all things Xmas lights. I like most hope and pray Molly recovers asap. Having met this man a number of times over the past 20 years or so it couldn't of happened to a much nicer guy. Molly always gives his time to you and it goes without saying what he has done for Australian music and music in general is just folklore. I hate to think of the prospect of losing Molly as we approach more Countdown repeats in January 2012. Being realistic even if he recovers due to extensive serious head injuries he may not be the same Molly. I hope for all our sakes and music generally that he recovers as retro music month on Rage will never be the same for me again. C'mon Molly get well. All of Australia is behind you.

My thoughts are with his family at this crucial time X0

I like to think that Molly has been temporarily called away to organise one of his infamous Chrissy parties upstairs.
He's up there having a drink with the likes of Shirl, Marc ,Ted, Christie and Michael and will return to us shortly when he's had enough of Shirl's **** stirring...

It's looking good for Molly!
http://news.ninemsn.com.au/national/8394919/meldrum-responding-to-basic-commands

Yes, great news !
Seems it may be likely he has no permanent brain injuries at all....fingers crossed for Molly's full recovery.

The news this morning said it may take up to a year for Molly to fully recover...but then again Doctor's always give you the worse case scenario so you are prepared for the worst.

Molly seems to be getting there slowly but he is getting better by the sounds of things.

http://news.ninemsn.com.au/national/8403221/meldrum-needs-help-remembering

Molly needs help remembering? Easy! Show Countdown marathons on rage for the rest of January and have the episodes playing to him all night in his hospital room.

That's what i said as well, play him Countdown's galore!

NOW is the time for rage to play BACK TO BACK non stop Countdown's. I was SO hungry for more Countdown last night once they started rolling one after the other :-(

Michael
Molly needs help remembering? Easy! Show Countdown marathons on rage for the rest of January and have the episodes playing to him all night in his hospital room.

Absolutely!

More good news re Molly

http://news.ninemsn.com.au/national/8405707/meldrum-out-of-hospital-into-rehab

Some more good news on Molly..

http://www.tvtonight.com.au/2012/02/molly-thanks-fans-for-support.html