Welcome to my forum connected to countdownmemories.com

Discuss everything COUNTDOWN and beyond!

Countdown Episodes * 70s & 80s Australian Music Programs * Music Video * Molly
Trading *  Collecting * Archival Information * Record/CD releases and more .........

COUNTDOWN IS BACK THIS JANUARY, 2019 ...  ON rage !!!!!
Stay tuned below with regular Countdown full archival information for each Countdown episode rage shall be airing every Saturday throughout January ...

Countdownmemories.com forum
Start a New Topic 
1 2
Author
Comment
Re: NOT THE VALENTINES IN OPENING TITLES!

Thanks Brett, yes, that song was written and produced by Terry Britten. The Avengers had a meteoric rise to fame that year, coming from obscurity on the national scene to being voted 3rd most popular group in the Go Set Pop Poll. We did lots of TV in Brisbane and Melbourne and none of those appearances have survived except for this one show, the first featuring the new intro. I am trying to get a copy of the footage, song and interview, we'll see how that goes.
Regards, Phelps

Hi John,
I've just left a message on Rage's Retro Month message board in regards to airing Episode 2 of Hitscene next January as I'd also like to see the rare footage of your group back then as well as Ronnie Burns performing "How Did It Come To Be This Way".

Let's hope they show this one and more episodes of Hitscene next January as Countdown seems to dominate the retro season every year which I don't discriminate at all as at the same time they should try and please most of the 1950's & 1960's fans out there.

Cheers,
Dave.

John 'Flaps' Phelps
Thanks Brett, yes, that song was written and produced by Terry Britten. The Avengers had a meteoric rise to fame that year, coming from obscurity on the national scene to being voted 3rd most popular group in the Go Set Pop Poll. We did lots of TV in Brisbane and Melbourne and none of those appearances have survived except for this one show, the first featuring the new intro. I am trying to get a copy of the footage, song and interview, we'll see how that goes.
Regards, Phelps

Hi John,
Not sure if you know about this one as I found this Avengers clip on YouTube. The Hitscene intro with your group is also on YouTube.

http://youtu.be/7wDEK5Ghf7s

Re: Hitscene runsheets

Brett (2)
Thanks heaps Gurubob for producing this great, easy-to-read format for the Hitscene guide. Now for GTK (only kidding - there is around 700 episodes to do!!)

As far as what has been shown on Rage in the past, here is the information on those shows shown. 13 different shows have been shown - 11 came back in the years 2001/2/3 when they showed an episode every week of Retro Season along with 4-6 GTK's complete. Then a break till 2009 when one show was screened - minus the clip for Oliver "Jean" for which the ABC probably could not get clearance for given it was part of a movie. Then just last Summer - January 2011 - came two more - although the 2nd was a repeat as you can see. The 1st show of 2011 also was missing Beatles footage from the movie "Let It Be" - the problems in obtaining clearances for Beatles footage is well known.

Of course those older folks like me will remember (and have on tape) the Rage "Hitscene" specials of 1991 and 1992 when hours of clips from the show were shown. Not complete shows though. Notice also the transmission dates are all different to what Rage displayed back at the time. Many were a week out. It was only the unearthing of most of the remaining missing shows on film that enabled the correct transmission dates to finally be displayed. Some dates originally may have been taping dates as well rather than transmission dates. For one show in 1971 Rage originally showed it simply as 1st January 1971 as obviously the episode could not be dated at the time. Thanks to the upgraded database, everything can finally be dated.

Ep # 82 20/03/71 Rage 13/01/01

Ep # 44 02/05/70 Rage 27/01/01

Ep # 19 13/09/69 Rage 10/02/01

Ep # 48 30/05/70 Rage 05/01/02

Ep # 47 23/05/70 Rage 12/01/02

Ep # 110 02/10/71 Rage 19/01/02

Ep # 55 11/07/70 Rage 26/01/02

Ep # 37 14/03/70 Rage 04/01/03

Ep # 84 03/04/71 Rage 11/01/03

Ep # 101 31/07/71 Rage 25/01/03

Ep # 92 29/05/71 Rage 01/02/03

Ep # 31 06/12/69 Rage 24/01/09 (40 years ABC Special)
(Clip for Oliver “Jean” from film “Prime of Miss Brodie” Edited Out)

Ep # 50 13/06/70 Rage 08/01/11
(Beatles footage from film “Let It Be” edited out)

Ep # 37 14/03/70 Rage 29/01/11 (Repeat – Originally shown on Rage 04/01/03)

Of all the 13 Hitscene episodes which Rage have shown over the years the majority of these have been from 1970, 1971 and 2 from 1969. None of the 1972 episodes have been aired and hope they show at least one or a few of them during January. However I do remember Rage playing few of the clips taken from the 1972 episodes over the years but never the complete shows.

REQUESTS FOR HITSCENE EPISODES IN JANUARY 2012!

Guys,

If you would like to see any unaired Hitscene episodes please send your suggestions to the Rage Message Board in the 'Retro Month' section for January 2012.

I've already made requests to Rage with some of the 1969 shows and it would be great to see more entries come in to further any chances of seeing more Hit scene's.

C'mon guys times running out.

Re: REQUESTS FOR HITSCENE EPISODES IN JANUARY 2012!

Dave
Guys,

If you would like to see any unaired Hitscene episodes please send your suggestions to the Rage Message Board in the 'Retro Month' section for January 2012.

I've already made requests to Rage with some of the 1969 shows and it would be great to see more entries come in to further any chances of seeing more Hit scene's.

C'mon guys times running out.

Have very much enjoyed catching this thread and here's to 1972 episodes of Hit Scene making an appearance in some form. Some friends of mine were in UK touring band Clockwork Strawberry and appeared in Ep148 and 151. I'm writing a biog on the band and it would be brilliant if this stuff is still out there somewhere. Any info would be a great help.They also did 'Happening 72' but I think that went the same way...any ideas ??

Pleased to find this thread and here's to 1972 episodes of Hit Scene making an appearance in some form. Some friends of mine were in UK touring band Clockwork Strawberry and thanks to you I can see they appeared in Ep148 and 151. I'm writing a biog of the band and it would be brilliant if this stuff is still out there somewhere. Any info would be a great help.They also did 'Happening 72' in Melbourne but I think that went the same way (wiped tapes) ...any ideas ??

Fingers crossed Rage will air some of these Hitscene episodes come Retro Month.

BIG HUGE GIGANTIC thank you to GuruBob for these "Hitscene" runsheets as I have been looking for a resource to catalogue eps that had been previously played on "Rage" retro month. Also thanks for the "GTK" as these are very handy and worthwhile for cataloguing collections etc. Where on earth do you find the time for all this. Just fantastic and again huge thanks now I can see all info. Even ABC Tara Online don't always display the entire info. This is a very useful resource for those who are interested.

Hi,
does somebody have any Canned Heat's clips from Hit Scene?

To date I cannot recall any Canned Heat having been played on the Hitscene episodes that have been shown on Rage. Hitscene only exists in the ABC archives so unless they repeat these episodes in Retro month on Rage there is probably no other way of getting their clips from this source.

The clips that I know of in the ABC archives on GTK and Hitscene are:
GTK
ep. 465 - CANNED HEAT ROCKING WITH THE KING (AT MULWALA ROCK FESTIVAL) 1972 10-Apr-72

Hitscene
Ep 26 Nov 1 1969 - CANNED HEAT ON THE ROAD AGAIN (CREDITS OVER END)
Ep 71 Nov 7 1970 - DICK WILLIAMS RECORD REVIEW: CANNED HEAT (short segment)
Ep 93 June 5 1971 - CANNED HEAT GOING UP THE COUNTRY

This is just from a quick search so may not be complete. To date those particular episodes have not been shown.

On The Road Again clip was shown on Rage June 27 1992 on their Hitscene special but that clip (without credits) actually gets shown a bit anyhow on Rage, most recently on March 10 2012 which I am sure you would have anyhow.

Your best chance of seeing the other items would be to go to the Rage Messageboard and put in a request to see it.

Hi Guru,

I remember Rage showing the Canned Heat "On The Road Again" clip during their retro month in 2000 without the credits end. I think the clip without the credits end may have came from another ABC show other than Hitscene or GTK.

Last month I made a request to Rage to air some of the 1972 Hitscene episodes which Rage have never played. Nobody supported me on this one as there were some interesting episodes during 1972.

Dave.

What happened to Hitscene??

Re: Hitscene

Hi Guys,

Not sure if you're aware of this as there are a number of Hitscene clips recently posted on YouTube including The Valentines (Feat: Bon Scott) "My Old Man's A Groovy Old Man" plus many others from GTK.

Check em' out.

Carl Gavey
Pleased to find this thread and here's to 1972 episodes of Hit Scene making an appearance in some form. Some friends of mine were in UK touring band Clockwork Strawberry and thanks to you I can see they appeared in Ep148 and 151. I'm writing a biog of the band and it would be brilliant if this stuff is still out there somewhere. Any info would be a great help.They also did 'Happening 72' in Melbourne but I think that went the same way (wiped tapes) ...any ideas ??

Hi Carl,

I've noticed someone has uploaded two of those Hitscene appearances of Clockwork Strawberry on YouTube recently plus other clips from Hitscene & GTK episodes.

Even so It would be better to see these on Channel 2 one day.

Hi Guys,

If anyone is interested I've found this information regarding Hitscene and Dick Williams. It also mentions it's predecessor 'Hit Parade' on this website link below.

http://en.citizendium.org/wiki/Hit_Scene

At least the 3 Hitscenes don't appear to be repeats, but still no 1972 episodes. They are showing:

HITSCENE September 22nd, 1970 (date doesn't exist?? - maybe August 22)
OPENING TITLES LARGE SOLID TITLES ON PSYCHEDELIC BACKGROUND
VIBRANTS I CAN'T LET GO OF YOUR LOVE
WOODSTOCK REPORT ON WOODSTOCK (FROM ABC'S THIS DAY TONIGHT USING ABC INTERVIEWS AND SOME WOODSTOCK FILM FOOTAGE)
BUDDY ENGLAND SUNDAY CHILD
BUDDY ENGLAND INTERVIEW
LOTUS (DEBUT) I'M A MOVER
DICK WILLIAMS RECORD REVIEW: LOVE SCULPTURE, RONNIE HAWKINS, OLIVER, HUGO MONTENEGRO
INDEFINITE FOUR I'VE JUST SEEN A FACE
VIBRANTS LOOKING FOR SOMEONE

HITSCENE August 21st, 1971
OPENING TITLES STROBING BLACK & WHITE SOLID TITLES OVER TV SCREEN SHAPED BACKBROUND
JOHNNY CHESTER & JIGSAW GWEN CONGRATULATIONS
WHO SEEKER
RUSSELL MORRIS HEAVEN SHINES
STRANGERS SWEET WATER
DICK WILLIAMS RECORD REVIEW: JOHNNY FARNHAM, OSIBISA, CARPENTERS, FRANK SINATRA, THE BELLS
BULLDOG MAN OF CONSTANT SORROW
MUNGO JERRY BABY JUMP
JACKSON 5 I WANT YOU BACK
JOHNNY CHESTER LONELY MAN LIKE ME

HITSCENE October 10th, 1970
ZOOT STRANGE THINGS
CUFFLINKS WHEN JULIE COMES AROUND
LOVE STORY (BUDDY ENGLAND, IAN TURPIE & RICHARD WRIGHT) NEANDERTHAL MAN
LOVE STORY (BUDDY ENGLAND, IAN TURPIE & RICHARD WRIGHT) INTERVIEW
MATHEWS SOUTHERN COMFORT SWEET BREAD
DICK WILLIAMS RECORD REVIEW: MELBA MOORE, BRAIN AUGER & TRINITY, SWITCHED ON BACHARACH, BOBBIE GENTRY
LOTUS BABE, I'M GONNA LEAVE YOU (LED ZEPPLIN COVER)
ROBIE PORTER GEMINI
MIXTURES IN THE SUMMERTIME

As far as I can work out they had previously shown the following, or at least they are the ones I have got:
May 24 1969
May 31 1969
July 12 1969
July 26 1969
Aug 2 1969
Aug 16 1969
Sept 13 1969
Nov 8 1969
Dec 6 1969
Dec 13 1969
Dec 20 1969
March 14 1970
March 21 1970
May 2 1970
May 16 1970
May 23 1970
May 30 1970
June 13 1970
July 11 1970
March 20 1971
April 3 1971
April 4 1971
May 8 1971
May 29 1971
July 31 1971
Oct 2 1971

Guru Bob
At least the 3 Hitscenes don't appear to be repeats, but still no 1972 episodes. They are showing:

WOODSTOCK REPORT ON WOODSTOCK (FROM ABC'S THIS DAY TONIGHT USING ABC INTERVIEWS AND SOME WOODSTOCK FILM FOOTAGE)
BUDDY ENGLAND INTERVIEW
DICK WILLIAMS RECORD REVIEW: LOVE SCULPTURE, RONNIE HAWKINS, OLIVER, HUGO MONTENEGRO

HITSCENE August 21st, 1971
OPENING TITLES STROBING BLACK & WHITE SOLID TITLES OVER TV SCREEN SHAPED BACKBROUND
JOHNNY CHESTER & JIGSAW GWEN CONGRATULATIONS
WHO SEEKER
RUSSELL MORRIS HEAVEN SHINES
STRANGERS SWEET WATER
DICK WILLIAMS RECORD REVIEW: JOHNNY FARNHAM, OSIBISA, CARPENTERS, FRANK SINATRA, THE BELLS
BULLDOG MAN OF CONSTANT SORROW
MUNGO JERRY BABY JUMP
JACKSON 5 I WANT YOU BACK
JOHNNY CHESTER LONELY MAN LIKE ME

HITSCENE October 10th, 1970
ZOOT STRANGE THINGS
CUFFLINKS WHEN JULIE COMES AROUND
LOVE STORY (BUDDY ENGLAND, IAN TURPIE & RICHARD WRIGHT) NEANDERTHAL MAN
LOVE STORY (BUDDY ENGLAND, IAN TURPIE & RICHARD WRIGHT) INTERVIEW
MATHEWS SOUTHERN COMFORT SWEET BREAD
DICK WILLIAMS RECORD REVIEW: MELBA MOORE, BRAIN AUGER & TRINITY, SWITCHED ON BACHARACH, BOBBIE GENTRY
LOTUS BABE, I'M GONNA LEAVE YOU (LED ZEPPLIN COVER)
ROBIE PORTER GEMINI
MIXTURES IN THE SUMMERTIME

As far as I can work out they had previously shown the following, or at least they are the ones I have got:
May 24 1969
May 31 1969
July 12 1969
July 26 1969
Aug 2 1969
Aug 16 1969
Sept 13 1969
Nov 8 1969
Dec 6 1969
Dec 13 1969
Dec 20 1969
March 14 1970
March 21 1970
May 2 1970
May 16 1970
May 23 1970
May 30 1970
June 13 1970
July 11 1970
March 20 1971
April 3 1971
April 4 1971
May 8 1971
May 29 1971
July 31 1971
Oct 2 1971

Hi Guru,

Those 3 episodes have not been aired on Rage before.

I was going to say they still didn't show any 1972 episodes yet. However there are some clips from the 1972 episodes on YouTube including Interviews with a young Daryl Braithwaite, The New Seekers, Manfred Mann's Earth Band, Roy Orbison and more.

Should be a great Saturday night with the Countdown and Rock Arena episodes as well.

Can you please tell me how many promo film clips were featured in three episodes of Hit Scene dated September 22 1970, October 10 1970
and August 21 1971?

Dave (DJA69)
Guru Bob

BUDDY ENGLAND INTERVIEW

May 24 1969
May 31 1969
July 12 1969
July 26 1969
Aug 2 1969
Aug 16 1969
Sept 13 1969
Nov 8 1969
Dec 6 1969
Dec 13 1969
Dec 20 1969
March 14 1970
March 21 1970
May 2 1970
May 16 1970
May 23 1970
May 30 1970
June 13 1970
July 11 1970
March 20 1971
April 3 1971
April 4 1971
May 8 1971
May 29 1971
July 31 1971
Oct 2 1971

Hey,

False Advertising by Rage.

The first Hitscene was a repeat of Episode 110 Oct 2 1971 which was shown back in 2001-2002.

After seeing this I just went to sleep.

Yes, a bit disappointing Dave when you consider the amount of Hitscenes that have not been shown. I didnt stay awake for the later two which were screened at the ungodly hour of around 4 or 5 in the morning, watched the recordings this morning though and all good - never been seen since original transmission dates. 21/08/71 & 10/10/70 as correctly advertised by Rage.

Re: Hitscene run sheets ep144 July 22 1972

My name is ( or was) Bob Chaplin and a member of Spinifex. Do you have the clip of us performing "I'm Living Free" from the show? I'm the composer and singer and I had completely forgotten about this.
I would appreciate your help.
Rob Brindley 0415851173 robertbrindley@westnet.com.au

Ep 144 July 22 1972
LUCKY STARR BLOW UP YOUR TV
SPINIFEX I'M LIVING FREE
MUNGO JERRY OPEN UP
DIANE FAULKNER DAY BY DAY
DIANE FAULKNER INTERVIEW
MOMS & DADS RANGER'S WALTZ (WITH INTRO)
DICK WILLIAMS RECORD REVIEW: CCS, PALADIN, SAMMI SMITH, BEE GEES, JAMES ROYAL, JETHRO TULL
JETHRO TULL, IAN ANDERSON OF INTERVIEW
JOHNNY CHESTER READYMIX REVENGE (HIT SCENE CLIP WITH JOHNNY DRIVING CEMENT MIXER)

Ep 110 Oct 2 1971
OPENING TITLES WOBBLING WHITE SOLID TITLES WITH DICK MIMING AT PIANO OVER TCHAIKOVSKY & IMPERSONATING LIBERACE
CREEDENCE CLEARWATER REVIVAL SWEET HITCH-HIKER
TED MULRY REMEMBER ME
TIN TIN IS THAT THE WAY
DICK WILLIAMS RECORD REVIEW: AXIOM, LALLY STOTT, BOBBY SHERMAN, SHIRLEY BASSEY, BIG BRITISH STEREO ACTION ORCHESTRA
BILLY THORPE & THE AZTECS THE DAWN SONG
REDWING SHORTY GO HOME
FREE ALL RIGHT NOW
DADDY COOL EAGLE ROCK

Have just realised this episode was played this year but was titled on screen as September 1970

The on screen tagging of episodes hasn't been all that flash by Rage this year. A Countdown Revolution was titled 1990 when it was 1989 and all four Hitscenes appear to be incorrectly identified.

Dec 5 1970 episode was Nov 14 1970
Jan 1 1969 episode was Sept 20 1969
Jan 1 1970 episode was Dec 5 1970
Apr 17 1971 episode was Apr 24 1971

Guru Bob
The on screen tagging of episodes hasn't been all that flash by Rage this year. A Countdown Revolution was titled 1990 when it was 1989 and all four Hitscenes appear to be incorrectly identified.

Dec 5 1970 episode was Nov 14 1970
Jan 1 1969 episode was Sept 20 1969
Jan 1 1970 episode was Dec 5 1970
Apr 17 1971 episode was Apr 24 1971

No Hitscene episodes were originally aired during January 1969 & 1970 as I'm not really sure how Rage identified these incorrectly.

At least all 4 episodes were not repeated on previous retro years and still haven't aired any 1972 episodes. I may have to do a push for these come September or October for Retro Month 2016.

I'm sorry that I answer only today. A song On the road again is avaiable and I got this one. But Still there are not unreachable remaining episodes. Thank you for your help
Maciej

Although I am first and foremost a Countdown fan and would have loved to see much more of that, I do appreciate and collect any Australian music shows from the 1960s to 1980s.

Whether it is 6 O'Clock Rock, Hitscene, GTK through to Flashez, Countdown, Rock Arena, Beatbox, Sounds, The Factory etc up to Countdown Revolution. I just draw the line at 90s and 00s music such as Recovery, 10:30 slot.

I realise that a lot of people on here hate Hitscene but I will record and keep the episode(s) that they will screen and add them to the 32 episodes that I already have and hope they do not show any repeat. I grew up in the 70s with B&W TV so it triggers a certain nostalgia regardless, even though I never saw these originally.

I'm pretty much the same and enjoy everything from the 60's to the 80's and love Hitscene. Any idea on how many were made?

I love the 60sand 70s too. I personally only remember from about 1976 onwards, and Countdown was the show that I remember, not so much the other ones. My problem with GTK, for example, is the quality of the footage. Much of the time, what was shown on GTK can be found on Youtube in much better colour and resolution.

1 2