Welcome to my forum connected to countdownmemories.com

Discuss everything COUNTDOWN and beyond!

Countdown Episodes * 70s & 80s Australian Music Programs * Music Video * Molly
Trading *  Collecting * Archival Information * Record/CD releases and more .........

COUNTDOWN IS BACK THIS JANUARY, 2019 ...  ON rage !!!!!
Stay tuned below with regular Countdown full archival information for each Countdown episode rage shall be airing every Saturday throughout January ...

Countdownmemories.com forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Sweet and Sour

Hi everybody

Here is some news, I am not sure how true this is but it seems that Roadshow is finally releasing the Sweet and Sour Tv Series in May. This is from the DVD Warehouse website. So I suppose we will have to see!!!

Sweet And Sour (TBA): DVD
Actors
David Reyne, Tracy Mann, Arky Michael, Ric Herbert
Distributor
Roadshow Home Entertainment
Genre
Music & Musicals NOW $37.95
(including GST)
was $39.95
SAVE 5% ! Quantity 1 Add to cart

Quantity Price*

*Note: (including GST)

Coming Soon! Pre-Order Now - Available Friday, 06 May 2011

Re: Sweet and Sour

I truly hope this happens - although I won't raise my hopes too high just in case....

I wonder if the music will be intact on the DVD? We shall have to wait and see - if it actually gets released. I know I'll be the first in line to grab a copy at my local DVD store!

Hopefully the ABC will launch it somehow with some of the cast members promoting it - that'd be great to see.

I am a little skeptical as to whether the original series will ever re-appear. I notice it says run time 90 min when it is supposed to be 20 x 25 min episodes. Have they edited it down to a single movie length show? $38 for a butchered show would be a bit steep.

Would love to believe this news,but I've been burnt by news about the show coming out on DVD too many times.

John
Would love to believe this news,but I've been burnt by news about the show coming out on DVD too many times.

Same here I got my hopes up last year and all we got was a CD

If it's some stripped down version I won't bother but if it's the full series I'll be first in line to buy it.

Anybody know if it's available yet?
I see EzyDVD have it listed as a 3 disc set (so that should be all the episodes), but date of release is still unknown, although you can pre-order it.

A while back,I sent an email to TV Week's Gavin Scott from the Just Ask column re.a DVD release and in the issue out now,I got an answer from him.
Here's the gist of it-

"There's still no word on the series coming to DVD.I understand that music licenses are behind the delay"

Some of you might be thinking "no s h i t Sherlock!",but it sounds more reliable than the info from Ezy DVD.

So the dvd will go ahead after all????

This is starting to get RIDICULOUS!!!

I had no idea that Renee Geyer had a cameo in the first episode!

I know hey,

Renee Geyer was a blast!

I am so glad Guru got copies. The first episode KILLLLED me and I know it's just going to get better and better! :-)

Just finished watching the last episode. I think I'll have to watch it again, soon. Did The Hoons ever release a single? . Anyone here watched the whole series yet? So many cameos in the series. Wish The Takeaways peformed in the Countdown studio.

Michael
Just finished watching the last episode. I think I'll have to watch it again, soon. Did The Hoons ever release a single? . Anyone here watched the whole series yet? So many cameos in the series. Wish The Takeaways peformed in the Countdown studio.

Oh, I KNOW>

Wish Takeaways performed in the studio as well!!!

I tell ya-seeing Sweet & Sour in its entirety again recently was the best birthday present I could've asked for.For something I'd not seen since the mid 80's,the show's held up pretty well.Its as great now as it was when it first aired.

Did I miss the release of this?

Brett,

Guru Bob has the full series on video tape and has uploaded it to his FABULOUS You Tube Channel.

Check out the WHOLE series on the link below! :-)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P3zaf3FTvpM&feature=channel_video_title

I don't have them on video but a very good friend loaned me some copies as I had been desperate to see the series again for over a quarter of a century now. I assumed others would also be interested so I asked if it was OK to upload them.

I hadn't realised that I could now upload longer clips as I had previously been limited to about 5-7min due to file size limitations so that was a bonus that I could upload individual episodes.

Incidentally there is someone uploading a lot of Hey Hey, MTV, Countdown Revolution material from the late 80's to early 90's. Their YouTube channel is digitalstr*p (replace * with an i as this website does not accept that word) and their channel is:
http://www.youtube.com/user/DigitalStr*p?feature=uploademail_ch#p/u (again swap * for i)

Jason 'The Moderator'
Brett,

Guru Bob has the full series on video tape and has uploaded it to his FABULOUS You Tube Channel.

Check out the WHOLE series on the link below! :-)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P3zaf3FTvpM&feature=channel_video_title

Thank you Jason.

Guru Bob
I don't have them on video but a very good friend loaned me some copies as I had been desperate to see the series again for over a quarter of a century now. I assumed others would also be interested so I asked if it was OK to upload them.

I hadn't realised that I could now upload longer clips as I had previously been limited to about 5-7min due to file size limitations so that was a bonus that I could upload individual episodes.

Incidentally there is someone uploading a lot of Hey Hey, MTV, Countdown Revolution material from the late 80's to early 90's. Their YouTube channel is digitalstr*p (replace * with an i as this website does not accept that word) and their channel is:
http://www.youtube.com/user/DigitalStr*p?feature=uploademail_ch#p/u (again swap * for i)

Thank you Guru Bob.

I was seeing a play in the late 1980's and sitting two seats away from me was Tracy Mann. She caught me looking at her and she asked " Do I know You? " I didn't know what to say to her other than I thought you were good in 'Sweet and Sour'.

Guru Bob

Well yes, a good friend had them on video but you have them now to! :-) :-) :-)

Brett, that's funny. I can imagine Tracy Mann being upfront and very direct, but not in a rude way.

Michael
Brett, that's funny. I can imagine Tracy Mann being upfront and very direct, but not in a rude way.

She wasn't asking directly in a rude way. She was more polite.

Just finished Episode 4 and now about to watch Episode 5!

Sweet & Sour is literally KILLLLING me, I am so happy right now watching them!

'I Don't Mean To B i t c h' that ended Ep 4 is AMAZZZZZING!

And Dave Mason was in Episode4 PLUS all the FAB music in it from machinations, Deckchairs Overboard, Hunter And Collector's e.t.c... And the FAV fashion.

THANK YOU SO MUCH GURU!!!

Popstars and Politicians performance was GENIUS!!!

I'm A Genius' and 'Image Of An Angel' were so SPECTACULAR!

'I Don't Mean To B i t c h' was good - a highlight of the series. I wish I did the same thing at my 21st! As John mentioned, it's a shame it wasn't on the soundtrack. Maybe it was considered to full on to be on a record for the teen market?

BTW - Did you know that David Reyne does the voice over for the Celebrity Apprentice?

Michael
BTW - Did you know that David Reyne does the voice over for the Celebrity Apprentice?

Doesn't that just sum it up. In 1984 we watched Sweet & Sour, in 2011 it's Celebrity Apprentice that's on offer. Just get me back to 1984.

Oh Guru,

How I understand :-( ... Please get me back to 1984 to. Now is so TERRRRRIBLE!

And so CRAP that 'B I T C H' is not on the soundtrack!

Jason 'The Moderator'
Oh Guru,

How I understand :-( ... Please get me back to 1984 to. Now is so TERRRRRIBLE!

And so CRAP that 'B I T C H' is not on the soundtrack!

Unless we can take our VHS recorders then I am not going back. VHS recorders were very expensive, so I doubt we would be able to afford one even if we did go back.

I want to go back because the first half of the 80s were just and always will be SPECTACULAR. The music, fashion and colour. I just want to go back NOW :-( It's not because of the vcr's but because it's THE best period in the world EVER!!!

And actually Lee, my parents got a VCR in 1985

Jason 'The Moderator'
I want to go back because the first half of the 80s were just and always will be SPECTACULAR. The music, fashion and colour. I just want to go back NOW :-( It's not because of the vcr's but because it's THE best period in the world EVER!!!

WOW!!! You guys were very lucky!!. Did you tape any of the countdowns in 1985?

I must admit 1984 and 1985 are my favourite years of my life. Great music and as you said jason great fashion. The 80's are way better than the 70's.

Jason 'The Moderator'

Those years of the early 80's were great indeed. I was one of those people that bought a Sony Beta tape recorder. I can pick them, can't I. I didn't buy a VHS one until 1991. I would love to go back and stop myself from recording over most of my Music videos and to buy a VHS and not Beta.

Yeah, we got an Akai VHS recorder in 1985. It cost around $800. They gave you a 30 minute blank tape to go with it. Geez, I think it got recorded on hundered times until the tape wore out. I didn't record any music shows back then, so don't feel bad about not keeping them and we only had one commercial channel back then. Canberra was still in the dark ages in the 80's.

Michael
Yeah, we got an Akai VHS recorder in 1985. It cost around $800. They gave you a 30 minute blank tape to go with it. Geez, I think it got recorded on hundered times until the tape wore out. I didn't record any music shows back then, so don't feel bad about not keeping them and we only had one commercial channel back then. Canberra was still in the dark ages in the 80's.

OMG Michael, OMG! We also got the free 30 minute tape as well and I still have the cover for it! I actually remember thinking WOW, what will be the first video clip I tape in 1985. I remember even THEN begin disappointment that it was 1985 and I had missed all the stuff I wanted from 1981 to 1984. But I did end up taping seriously amazing stuff but unfortunately all the tapes were taped over due to not being able to afford new ones. i could just KICK MYSELF :-( I remember my dad bought the video on a Friday night and on Saturday morning I had my 30 minute tape ready to go for SOUNDS on Channel 7. 30 minutes, LOL!!! Oh, the innocence of it all :-) BLESS *+*

That's funny... Did you deliberately keep the cover and throw the tape out?

The earliest thing I still have on VHS tape is from 1991 ('Hunter', US TV series). Anyone remember Hunter? Cop show from the 80's and early 90's? One of my Top 5 shows after Countdown of course! Funny to watch the ads too, every ad break has 'E Street' featuring Mr Bad.

The oldest thing that I still have on tape might be 1.Duran Duran-The Video Album. 2. Toni Basil-Word Of Mouth or 3. The Tubes Video Album.

Michael
That's funny... Did you deliberately keep the cover and throw the tape out?

The earliest thing I still have on VHS tape is from 1991 ('Hunter', US TV series). Anyone remember Hunter? Cop show from the 80's and early 90's? One of my Top 5 shows after Countdown of course! Funny to watch the ads too, every ad break has 'E Street' featuring Mr Bad.

No, still have the tape I think but the tape doesn't have the original content!The earliest I have now on vhs still is 1988

The first music video I recorded was Enya's 'Orinoco Flow' from the Rage top 50 Although I only caught it from about half way through. I had been watching the top 50 on Rage for nearly a year, but for some reason never thought to record videos from it until visiting a cousin just after Xmas '88 who had a video tape full of clips recorded from TV. I've still got my first VHS of music videos recorded from TV, but stupidly re-recorded over a couple after then, due to not having enough blank VHS tapes to use at the time.

Awesome stuff guys.

I haven't seen the show since it first aired in 84. My last year of high school!

I bought the vol 1 soundtrack on cassette back then, but for some reason didn't buy vol 2. It was great to have the re-release on cd recently. Shame the DVD is still nowhere to be seen though.

I bought my first VHS recorder in 1987, but I think Countdown was finished by then July87?

I only have bits and pieces taped from back then, like Motley Crue on Countdown Revolution in 1990 etc

Who's vocals is it on 'Glam To Wham'? I mean Carol's or Christine's? In the series, Christine sings it during her job seeking at the CES and working in the supermarket and then Carol sings it at the fashion show at the clothing store???

Michael
Who's vocals is it on 'Glam To Wham'? I mean Carol's or Christine's? In the series, Christine sings it during her job seeking at the CES and working in the supermarket and then Carol sings it at the fashion show at the clothing store???

It's a Sharon O'Neill written song. But I beleive it's Debbrah Conway on Vocals. But I don't think this answers your question.

Michael

Glam To Wham - (lead vocal: Conway, backing vocal: McQuade) - source wikipedia

In the actual clip it is also Christine who performs and Cathy McQuade of Deckchairs Overboard mostly did the vocals relating to Christine's character while Deborah Conway did Carol's vocals but I guess that wasn't the case for that track.

While I am here I would like to thank Patrick for having been the person to locate the footage that I uploaded. As I kept mentioning Sweet & Sour both here and on the Rage Messageboard it prompted Patrick to mention it to an acquaintance of his who had old footage and that is how it was unearthed. As neither Patrick or his friend were in a position to copy it, it was sent to me and they kindly allowed me to share it via YouTube as there would be numerous people interested.

Anyone who has enjoyed watching this series, like myself, owes a debt of gratitude to Patrick and his friend for finally being able to see this footage again. It almost certainly won't ever make it to DVD and is not likely to appear on TV either due to the restrictions on it, so this was a fortunate set of circumstances that took place.

I am not sure but I believe the restrictions were that it could be shown on TV and repeated twice - which has already occurred back in the 80's - and this was in relation to the amount of royalties/payments set in the original contracts to all involved. If it was to be released or re-aired then additional new payments, which are substantial, would need to be made and they may be too big to warrant the exercise.

I wonder if the 1987 ABC TV series Dancing Daze exists anywhere? The title track was also written and performed by Sharon O'Neill.

:-) :-) :-) Thanks Patrick :-) :-) :-)

I talked about with Pat today and still don't understand why there was so much mystery about who obtained it?

Anyhow, glad we all are able to have it, FINALLY!!!

The "mystery" was more to protect Patrick from people potentially asking for copies as he is not in a position to do this and he didn't want any awkward situations arising from that. Even if he were able to copy them it is 10 hours for the series. Given the number of people who had expressed an interest in the possible DVD release this could have been overwhelming. That is why I thought it would be best on YouTube where everyone can see it at their own leisure - everyone can enjoy it and no one gets hassled.

Overall, considering the file sizes, the picture on YouTube comes up quite good so I would assume most people would be happy with that.

It's just that a number of people had been thanking me for those episodes and I just wanted to ensure that the person who unearthed them got due credit. All I ultimately did was upload them although it seems my constant mentioning of it helped facilitate finding them so it may have been a slight joint effort, but all thanks to the amazing Patrick.

As you say Jason - glad we are all able to have it finally.

No worries - I'm glad everyone can see it finally.

Thanks Guru for the kind words - I am suitably humbled!

A shame the ABC hasn't released it onto DVD.....but finally it is out there for all to see now so that's a good thing for sure!

I can't see Patrick putting things up on You Tube or making copies. That's why I love Patrick, he is not that into technology which is very COOL!

Patrick, it looks like my next lot of goodies for you will be free of charge! Thanks for bringing back the memories and a piece of Australian pop culture.

Re 'Glam To Wham' even though it is Deb's vocals, it doesn't really sound like her, when you compare it to all her other vocals on the other tracks.

So what is the chance of the ABC pulling it off YouTube? I guess that's why I wanted to watch all episodes ASAP before this potentially happened.

Thanks Michael, much appreciated.

Well the ABC shouldn't act too holier than thou in regards to taking it off considering they won't release it - especially considering there are many fans who would be only too happy to purchase the DVD.

Great show though - really enjoyed watching it and the music, drama and humour just works so well. I'm glad to say it still stands up well today - much better than some current local dramas that's for sure!

I also totally love the closing end credits theme 'Sweet and Sour' - good tune that one.

Thanks Patrick for bringing the Sweet & Sour series back into my life.An Australian Of The Year award for you is most deserving.

Thanks Patrick, much appreciated.

I hope you dont mind, but I have a plugin for my web browser which allows me to download video played on the net.

So I downloaded all 20 episodes to my computer, in case ABC do get nasty and pull it from Youtube.