Welcome to my forum connected to countdownmemories.com

Discuss everything COUNTDOWN and beyond!

Countdown Episodes * 70s & 80s Australian Music Programs * Music Video * Molly
Trading *  Collecting * Archival Information * Record/CD releases and more .........

COUNTDOWN IS BACK THIS JANUARY, 2019 ...  ON rage !!!!!
Stay tuned below with regular Countdown full archival information for each Countdown episode rage shall be airing every Saturday throughout January ...

Countdownmemories.com forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
ABSOLUTE RIDICULOIUS POST ON rage Messageboard!

Author RETRO MAN
Date/Time 21 Jan 2011 2:55:39pm
Subject Re: Egad sounds like mor boring eps in store this week

Yep Maz

I know this will upset the 80's Boys club.

BUT we are sick of this Boys Club trying to hijack rage retro every single year.

All we hear is do not show 70's repeats....repeats to who??To you maybe not everybody else.Look i understand you want to see your unrepeated 80's shows but please dont shoot down and try to belittle any body who requests any 70's stuff.

What HAPPENED to HITSCENE??

They all seem to be experts on what the ABC have in their archives and woo betide any body who suggests any 70's music clips.

Will somebody from this 80's Club let us know then EXACTLY(no guessing allowed) what 70's clips rage do have in their vaults or just shut up about it!

If we 70's people knew exactly what clips they had we would only request those ones but as we dont claim to be experts in rages vaults contents hence we request songs that they might indeed have.

I know I used to watch music clip shows back in the seventies that played Suzi Quatro etc in black and white and I would record the audio from these clips.So asking the Rage crew if they could play some old 70;s clips they MIGHT have seems a reasonable thing for me and other 70's music fans to do.

I also used to watch the Old Grey whistle test which I think the ABC aired which had stuff like

Edgar Winters Frankenstein.and many more 70's acts.

So please RAge play some 70's stuff.(You MIGHT have)And stop pandering to this exclusive 80's Boys club.

Re: ABSOLUTE RIDICULOIUS POST ON rage Messageboard!

i was gonna post this before what an idiot

Makes sense to me.Why doesnt somebody tell this poor soul what Rage has in their seventies catalogue of songs and put a end to all this nonsense.

I think nobody really knows what rage has.So his comments make sense.

His comments actually DON'T make sense!

NONE of us 80s fans have been whinging about rage playing anything 70s!

We are not happy about the fact that some of the 70s Countdown's they played this year have been played up to 4 times on rage!

NO ONE is saying to rage to NOT play the 4 remaining Flashez episode's or Hitscene OR 70s video clips as this guy claims!

Very silly comments by Retroman.

As I've said earlier, I think the ratio of 70s/80s music has been more or less evenly balanced this year. I'm not sure what he's complaining about really - this year has far more 70's type clips and programs than last year.

Rage cannot play what they don't have in regards to 70's Countdowns. The only option for them is to repeat what they've already shown - which satisfies no one.

The other thing is that it's quite surprising how many songs from the 70's don't have official music clips to them - especially ones you hear on the radio non stop.

But with people like Retroman you can tell them all this until you're blue in the face and they still won't accept what you say - sometimes one can never win in some arguments....

^ Exactly, there's been heaps of 70s on Rage this retro month. Retro man either hasn't been watching, or has an extremely poor understanding of fractions/ratios.

Jimmy
Makes sense to me.Why doesnt somebody tell this poor soul what Rage has in their seventies catalogue of songs and put a end to all this nonsense.

I think nobody really knows what rage has.So his comments make sense.

Jimmy - I tried to list which of Retro Mans large song list the Rage library is likely to have and which they are not but my posting didn't get past the Rage guestbook moderators by the look of it. It was a long posting so it may have exceeded their character limits.

I am a big 70's fan myself Jimmy with the biggest collection of clips from the 60's and 70's of probably anyone in the known universe so I am well qualified to make comment. Rage has its own "Red Book" which is the "library" the guest programmers get to view when choosing their song line-ups. The ABC archives has a much greater selection of music clips again, but not all is in transmission format, so some conversions have to take place before the material even gets shown on Rage.

There is at most 3 to 4 songs in that list from the 70's that Retroman posted that the Rage library even have the remotest possibilty of having. I personally hope they do show those this week.

I am a massive 60s and 70s fan Jimmy - I personally prefer that era to the 80's. There is no Boys Club in here mate - just a lot of passionate Countdown fans whose personal taste is more 80's than 70's for many of the posters. Everyone is different in here mate - me and Gurubob love our sport, in particular football - but Jason who runs the forums here - despises it - we don't argue about it - we just make comments and have gentle digs at each other and move on. No-one gets nasty about it.

Many posters (including Gurubob) also have an appreciation of older music - and you can read the forums and see evidence of this - and that is why the discussions are always interesting in here. We often agree to disagree about things. That is what forums are about. I loved the 1960 episode of Six Oclock they showed on Saturday night as well - and many in here probably hated it. That is their right just as it is my right to love it!!

It may look like an "exclusive" club from an outsiders viewpoint, and some of us long term posters in here may get frustrated if someone demonstrates a lack of knowledge both here and in the Rage guestbook - but believe me - that is not the case at all.

I must admit I did not like Retromans response to my posting but as I came across as a bit of a "smart-arse" in my first response (which I definitely am not) I can understand his frustrations a bit.

If Retromans listing has the intention of giving the Rage team some song ideas that is great, but don't be disappointed if they cannot come up with the goods as I mentioned in the Rage guestbook.

I am also a great fan of Hitscene mate - as Gurubob said - I wish they would play more. I have made many arguments over the years in the Rage guestbook along those lines. We definitely do not get anywwhere near enough of that show or GTK.

As explained elsewhere, the vast majority of 1970's Countdownw were wiped in the early 1980''s. It is a tragedy - everyone agrees with that sentiment. This is the reason more 80's episodes are shown than 1970's. It is that simple.

I really wish Rage would post their video library catalogue online... Fat chance of that happening though, I suppose

Good one Brett a reasonable response at last.Maybe you could try again with that list sounds like a good idea.

Yep have to agree you did sound like a smart **** and Bob sounded like a big bully boy to my way of thinking.

Anyway good comments this time mate maybe you should give Mr Retro a nice response as well mate.

WHATEVER!

Listen, we put up with crap for 11 months of the year with that show, so we can all go to town as much as we like for Retro Month!

One of the problems is that we do only get one precious month a year. Maybe if there was a year-round retro channel or at least more airtime devoted to old Countdowns etc on some of the other 3 ABC Channels - then we all would not get so stressed out about repeats and showing unrequested shows etc. And be arguing about showing 70's shows instead of 80's ones. There is simply not enough airtime devoted to the older music shows full stop. That applies to every TV and music channel today. This was never the case in the 1980's and early 90's when there was a plethora of older music shows.

At the end of the day, I agree 1000% about these silly repeats of shows as well - I think I will scream if I have to endure more shows like the one with Iggy Pop in 1979 (shown 4 times already - yes I know the performance is a classic and the way he scared all the teenage girls goes into the all-time legendary status of the show) but how many times do Rage need to show it. OMG - I should not have said that - they may show it this week heaven help?

I think overall, despite all the criticism and occassional blunders, let us acknowledge that the Rage team DO a good job. There is just not enough of this stuff full stop - 11 months is far too long to wait. Given the amount of work in getting an old Countdown to air again (obtaining all the music clearances etc involved for just one show to air would be a nightmare - especially the promo clips) then I am not too surprised it is only one month at the end of the day.

They DO try to play at least some of our requests - we HAVE to acknowledge that.

When it is all said and done, the balance between 70's and 80's in Retro season is about right - no-one can really say Rage favours one era over another.

Yeah Brett the problem is that relatively new viewers may want to see 70's Countdowns so Rage have no choice other than to play repeats unfortunately.

Jimmy,

You can;'t blame us who have been watching rage in January's since 1993.

Look... if Countdown was played on ABC 2 there wouldn't be this problem!

The fact of the matter is those who have been watching since the beginning like Guru and I don't want to see things played for the 4th time so that unplayed episodes can be preserved and showed.

Those who didn't tune in till recently get upset because they want repeated 70s episodes.

There is ALWAYS this Forum to get copies of played 70s episodes. It's not like there is NO option to obtain them at all!

Where as UN REPEATED episodes of Countdown... We need rage for them!

I have to ask.... is 'Jimmy' in actual fact 'Retroman'????

I was thinking the same!

I think Retroman may be Jimmy

Jason look mate I agree.I fully understand your position.Retro only comes once a year where everybody clambers for what they want using different tactics to get what they want.

Yes I agree the bloody abc should have a music channel.Or show more on abc 2 at least.

I dont know RETRO MAN but liked his song choices and did not agree with some who told him basically to get lost and watch you tube.I think retro is for everybody mate thats all.I sometimes think that Jason and Bob are in fact the same person because Jason is always backing everything bob says even if its doubtful.But good to see some loyalty these days mate

Believe me,

I and Guru are not the same people.

I back up people when I agree with them and I just happen to agree with most that Guru says.

As a full on Countdown collector (both of us) Music is literally my life and I agree with Guru as he expresses his love and passion for RARE 80s as much as I.

How hilarious that someone thinks me and Guru are the same people on here!

I have to laugh!!!!!

And thank you Jimmy for relaxing a bit as I created not only this website BUT Forum for those who love Countdown!

So welcome and enjoy :-)

Well the positive thing coming out of all this bickering is that at least the passion for Countdown and archival music footage is there!

Now we all need to band together to make the bleedin' ABC play Countdowns et al during the rest of the year!

pinkyblueskies
Well the positive thing coming out of all this bickering is that at least the passion for Countdown and archival music footage is there!

Now we all need to band together to make the bleedin' ABC play Countdowns et al during the rest of the year!

We got 16 episodes, that's close to unbelievable. I wonder if all the Countdown talk had anything to do with it. Even accounting for 3 repeats that's still 13 previously unaired shows and rather than finish with a dull bit of Recovery the last 2 shows will have been the best.

I love your Clare Grogan Smash Hits URL. I have a complete run of those UK Smash Hits from No.1 with Blondie in 1978 through to the end of 1987. I am amazed Clare got the year end cover as Toyah seemed to be on a lot of issues that year. Every time Toyah changed her look, about fornightly, there were some amazing photos. I have just picked up a Toyah concert live on Musikladen in Germany as a trade for some clips that Jan wanted for Suzi Quatro, I can definitely recommend trading with Jan even though he is in Poland. He also threw in a Marianne Faithfull collection, Fischer-Z Musikladen concert and Alphaville video collection. Sorry, I digress - great URL

I know Jan through here.

I ahven't traded anyhting with her as I don't own much 70s.

LUCKY YOU Getting SUCH treats!

Yes the Clare cover is a very cute one. Wow... wish I had a complete run of UK Smash Hits from that timespan... unfortunately I only have dribs and drabs. I do particularly treasure an issue that I have with Strawberry Switchblade on the cover which I'm sure you must own then too.

I think it's actually a guy although I hadn't bothered with a gender test. In Poland and some Scandinavian countries it is a mans name pronounced Yarn. If they ever want to do a trade and you have something they want I would recommend it - it all came about as I had recorded the Suzi Quatro clip Daytona Demon on GTK that Rage played a few months ago.

pinkyblueskies
Yes the Clare cover is a very cute one. Wow... wish I had a complete run of UK Smash Hits from that timespan... unfortunately I only have dribs and drabs. I do particularly treasure an issue that I have with Strawberry Switchblade on the cover which I'm sure you must own then too.

I have quite a lot of doubles as well as I bought several large batches which included some issues that I needed. I also have a complete run of Oz Smash Hits to 1987 as well as complete runs of some other papers such as UK and Oz No1 mag, Record Mirror, Juke, Ram and of course Countdown - there must be 1000's with about 7 piles about 1m high each. If you are interested in any doubles you are welcome to them.

Um... I HOPE I am welcome to any Smash Hits doubles as well ????? !!!!!!!

Um,,,

Guru, I hope I TO am welcome to some Smash Hits doubles as well?

As I do collect them to :-)

haha, okay Guru Bob ... looks like Jason and I are gonna be fighting it out for those doubles!

*puts on boxing gloves*

I would love to have your doubles and am happy to reimburse you for them!

Can we have a few each?

I am having anything with Boy George and Steve Strange in the UK ones

and in the OZ any Pseudo Echo!!!!!!

I am very happy to pay you TO!!!!!

I'll have a look and get back with a list. No idea what they are worth, it often seemed to depend on who was on the cover. I got a lot on ebay years ago and the price varied on issues. A lot of the UK ones were fairly cheap but the postage to Australia was a killer plus that was also when the dollar was weak, about 30P to the AUD$.

Stay tuned.

I am willing to pay you whatever for them. I don't need them ALL obviously.

I am willing to have some and Pinky Blue have some :-)
I am SURE she doesn't mind having some for her and some for me?

She can have any with Strawberry Switchblade.

I WANT anything with Georgie, Steve Strange, Marilyn, Pete Burns, Thompson Twins,Haysi Fantayzee and Toyah!!!!!!!!

And in OZ ones:
Pseudo Echo, I'm Talking, Beargarden and KITK and

I just pulled out what I thought was the full pile and it turns out it was only 1978-84, there was another pile behind covering 1985-87 - and that's just the UK Smash Hits. It looks like there are almost 2 complete sets all up although some are a bit ratty and I must have upgraded them.

Are you talking about covers or also articles inside? This could take weeks to look through.

Covers and articles.

I guess anything that has Strawberry Switchblade and Claire Grogan Maryanne would want first....

Guru Bob
I think it's actually a guy although I hadn't bothered with a gender test. In Poland and some Scandinavian countries it is a mans name pronounced Yarn. If they ever want to do a trade and you have something they want I would recommend it - it all came about as I had recorded the Suzi Quatro clip Daytona Demon on GTK that Rage played a few months ago.

Yep Guru - I remember Jan - and a hell of a nice guy too as well. I did some trades with him quite a number of years ago. I am sure he posted in here as well which is how I got to meet him and do trades. He has some great European material and rare glam stuff from all over the world - one of the legendary big 70's collectors for sure - and of course I went for his 70's stuff as only I can!!

I told you that Suzi Quatro promo clip from GTK was unavailable anywhere in the world - if Jan doesnt have it no-one will!! Thank god you had the common sense to tape it - silly me missed it at the time.