Welcome to my forum connected to countdownmemories.com

Discuss everything COUNTDOWN and beyond!

Countdown Episodes * 70s & 80s Australian Music Programs * Music Video * Molly
Trading *  Collecting * Archival Information * Record/CD releases and more .........

COUNTDOWN IS BACK THIS JANUARY, 2019 ...  ON rage !!!!!
Stay tuned below with regular Countdown full archival information for each Countdown episode rage shall be airing every Saturday throughout January ...

Countdownmemories.com forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
SHerbet - Magazone Madonna

Not much of a Sherbet fan at all except for 'Howzat' BUT this morning when I saw "magazine Madonna' on rage I literally DIED!

What a completely FABULOUS track! ... The lyrics KILLED me :-) :-) :-) And the girl in the video was SOOOO Dolly Magazine! ... The guitar riffs reminded me of Queen AND let's talk about the STUNNING and MAGNIFICENT COUNT DOWN logo in lights behind them!

I am IMPRESSED, SUPER IMPRESSED actually *****

Actually, rage retro this morning was rather heavenly!

Re: SHerbet - Magazone Madonna

There were 2 Countdown clips that Sherbet did live on Countdown that were shown on episodes that no longer exist but the ABC still have the actual clips of these performances - similar to Teenage Radio Stars that was shown a few weeks back.

The clips are Magazine Madonna and Rock Me Gently and are both available on the Countdown Wonder Years 2 DVD.

Guru Bob

The clips are Magazine Madonna and Rock Me Gently and are both available on the Countdown Wonder Years 2 DVD.

Guru! ... Just looked at my Countdown Wonder Years 2 and YES, you are right... "Magazine Madonna" is on there. I always skip Sherbet stuff and 70s in general unless it's Supernaut or something more glam rock.

On the Wonder Years 2, DISC TWO gets played and watched!

There ya go, I had something I didn't even know!

YES !!! That stand-alone Countdown clip of Magazine Madonna is absolutely beautiful, lots of nice shots of Harvey too (unlike the Howzat performance they showed this morning in which you saw him for about 3 seconds). I recorded them this morning from the Foxtel feed and to my horror Magazine Madonna froze for about 10 seconds...thank the universe it's on the Wonder Years dvd. Did it freeze on the free-to-air feed as well ?

Mine freezed on free to air but I don't think it did on the Foxtel IQ

There's the other version of Sherbet's Magazine Madonna which it was an official promotional film and the same version was featured on Sherbet Super Hits DVD.

Guru Bob
There were 2 Countdown clips that Sherbet did live on Countdown that were shown on episodes that no longer exist but the ABC still have the actual clips of these performances - similar to Teenage Radio Stars that was shown a few weeks back.

Hi Guru and Jason

I think there might actually be 3 stand-alone Countdown made Sherbet vids that have survived...the third being for the stunning "Dancer" from the Howzat album which was slated to be released as a single but wasn't for some reason (it was released in Germany though...go figure).

Any way, this vid is available on the deluxe cd/dvd issue of the Howzat album...but it's on youtube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QWX5GJN94Mw

I'm interested in your opinion...do you think it's a Countdown clip ?

It does have the words Count Down in large letters behind them so it was definitely shot in the Countdown studio you would think, particularly as it looks like the set they were using at the time.

If you look at the following Countdown music video compile that the ABC have it is mentioned on there although it doesn't mention whether they are live or promo clips. There is also another clip from Countdown called Lady Of The Night (again it doesn't specifically state live or promo), who knows what else is still on storage compiles there:

ID: 347869 - MUSIC STORAGE TAPE, ST0002A & ST0002B - SEGMENT

recording date: 14-Feb-1976
duration: SEGS;02.14.00
summary: COMPILE OF MUSIC VIDEO CLIPS COLLECTED FOR ABC PROGRAM, COUNTDOWN

shotlist: STORAGE TAPE 2A:;00.07, FF#1, BE BOP DELUXE - "SHIPS IN THE NIGHT"(DUR 3:34);03.43 FF#2, WALKER BROS - "THE SUN AIN'T GONNA SHINE ANYMORE"(DUR 3:00);06.48 FF#3, SHERBET - "LADY OF THE NIGHT"(DUR 4:02);10.54 FF#4, LINDA RONSTADT - "TRACKS OF MY TEARS"(DUR3:03);14.02 FF#4, JOHN SEBASTIAN - "WELCOME BACK"(DUR 2:48);18.02 FF#4, LINDA RONSTADT - "HEATWAVE"(DUR 2:36);20.42 SUPERTRAMP - "LADY"(DUR 3:38);25.32 FF#3, MAXINE NIGHTINGALE - "GET RIGHT BACK"(DUR 3:38);28.42 FF#3, GALLAGHER & LYLE - "I WANNA STAY WITH YOU"(DUR 3:18);32.02 FF#5, JOHN PAUL YOUNG - "I HATE THE MUSIC"(DUR 3:45);35.54 FF#1, EAGLES - "DIVELLIN' DALTONS"(DUR 5:54);41.51 FF#3, DARYL BRAITHWAITE - "TIME"(DUR 2:44);44.37 FF#2, DAVID ESSEX - "CITY LIGHTS"(DUR 6:26);51.23 FF#3, AC/DC - "JAIL BREAK"(DUR 4:25);55.49 FF#5, TED MULRY GANG (AKA TMG) - "CRAZY"(DUR 3:25);59.18 FF#5, TED MULRY GANG - "DARKTOWN STRUTTERS BALL";1.02.46 BREAKER - (MAP OF AUSTRALIA, NO VO)(DUR 0:17);1.03.07 FF#6, BILLY OCEAN - "LOVE REALLY HURTS WITHOUT YOU"(DUR 2:25);1.06.05 FF#7, LITTLE RIVER BAND (AKA LRB) - "EVERYDAY OF MY LIFE"(DUR 3:42);1.09.51 FF#1, BELLAMY BROS - "LET YOUR LOVE FLOW"(DUR 3:05);1.12.57 FF#8, BAY CITY ROLLERS - "LOVE ME LIKE I LOVE YOU"(DUR 3:07);1.16.05 FF#9, ERIC CARMEN - "ALL BY MYSELF"9DUR 4:29);1.22,00 FF#3, SHERBET - "DANCER"(DUR 3:23);1.25.25 FF#3, SHERBET - "HOWZAT" LIVE PERFORMANCE (DUR 3:42);1.29.19 FF#3, MAXINE NIGHTINGALE - "GOTTA BE THE ONE"(DUR 2:54); ;STORAGE TAPE 2B:;1.32.11 FF#7 SUPERNAUT - "I LIKE IT BOTH WAYS"(DUR 3:35);1.36.35 FF#10, ABBA - "MONEY, MONEY, MONEY"(DUR 3:06);1.39.46 FF#5, TED MULRY GANG (AKA TMG) - "JAMAICA RUM"(DUR 2:36);1.42.25 FF#11, JON ENGLISH - "HOLLYWOOD 7"(DUR 3:55);1.46.22 FF#1, FOX (AKA NOOSHA FOX) - "SSSSINGLE BED"(DUR 3:53);1.50.18 FF#1, SAILOR - "GIRLS, GIRLS, GIRLS"(DUR 2:57);1.53.18 FF#7, CLIFF RICHARD - "DEVIL WOMEN"(DUR 3:38);1.57.00 FF#12, BRIAN FERRY - "LET'S STICK TOGETHER"(DUR 2:59);2.00.00 FF#10, ABBA - "DANCING QUEEN"(DUR 3:45);2.03.48 FF#7, TAVARES - "HEAVEN MUST BE MISSING AN ANGEL"(DUR 3:23);2.07.11, FF#10, STARLAND VOCAL BAND - "AFTERNOON DELIGHT"(DUR 3:02);2.10.15 FF#13, THE MANHATTANS - "KISS AND SAY GOODBYE"(DUR 4:25)

Guru Bob
It does have the words Count Down in large letters behind them so it was definitely shot in the Countdown studio you would think

Apologies for that Guru...I hadn't watched it in a long time and actually forgot the big "Countdown" lettering in the background. It was just that when I saw you mention the Countdown clips for Howzat & Magazine Madonna it occured to me that (maybe) you weren't aware of it and I wanted to bring it to your attention (and Jason). Every second of '70s Countdown footage that survived the crime of destruction inflicted at the ABC is so precious.

"Music Max" on Foxtel (probably the worst music video channel on Australian TV when it comes to their shocking and intrusive graphics all over the vids) also shows a rare performance of Howzat that no one else seems to show, which I think comes from 9's "Bandstand".

Thanks also for the other info about what's on that ABC music vids tape...amazing stuff !

Guru Bob
It does have the words Count Down in large letters behind them so it was definitely shot in the Countdown studio you would think, particularly as it looks like the set they were using at the time.

If you look at the following Countdown music video compile that the ABC have it is mentioned on there although it doesn't mention whether they are live or promo clips. There is also another clip from Countdown called Lady Of The Night (again it doesn't specifically state live or promo), who knows what else is still on storage compiles there:

ID: 347869 - MUSIC STORAGE TAPE, ST0002A & ST0002B - SEGMENT

recording date: 14-Feb-1976
duration: SEGS;02.14.00
summary: COMPILE OF MUSIC VIDEO CLIPS COLLECTED FOR ABC PROGRAM, COUNTDOWN

shotlist: STORAGE TAPE 2A:;00.07, FF#1, BE BOP DELUXE - "SHIPS IN THE NIGHT"(DUR 3:34);03.43 FF#2, WALKER BROS - "THE SUN AIN'T GONNA SHINE ANYMORE"(DUR 3:00);06.48 FF#3, SHERBET - "LADY OF THE NIGHT"(DUR 4:02);10.54 FF#4, LINDA RONSTADT - "TRACKS OF MY TEARS"(DUR3:03);14.02 FF#4, JOHN SEBASTIAN - "WELCOME BACK"(DUR 2:48);18.02 FF#4, LINDA RONSTADT - "HEATWAVE"(DUR 2:36);20.42 SUPERTRAMP - "LADY"(DUR 3:38);25.32 FF#3, MAXINE NIGHTINGALE - "GET RIGHT BACK"(DUR 3:38);28.42 FF#3, GALLAGHER & LYLE - "I WANNA STAY WITH YOU"(DUR 3:18);32.02 FF#5, JOHN PAUL YOUNG - "I HATE THE MUSIC"(DUR 3:45);35.54 FF#1, EAGLES - "DIVELLIN' DALTONS"(DUR 5:54);41.51 FF#3, DARYL BRAITHWAITE - "TIME"(DUR 2:44);44.37 FF#2, DAVID ESSEX - "CITY LIGHTS"(DUR 6:26);51.23 FF#3, AC/DC - "JAIL BREAK"(DUR 4:25);55.49 FF#5, TED MULRY GANG (AKA TMG) - "CRAZY"(DUR 3:25);59.18 FF#5, TED MULRY GANG - "DARKTOWN STRUTTERS BALL";1.02.46 BREAKER - (MAP OF AUSTRALIA, NO VO)(DUR 0:17);1.03.07 FF#6, BILLY OCEAN - "LOVE REALLY HURTS WITHOUT YOU"(DUR 2:25);1.06.05 FF#7, LITTLE RIVER BAND (AKA LRB) - "EVERYDAY OF MY LIFE"(DUR 3:42);1.09.51 FF#1, BELLAMY BROS - "LET YOUR LOVE FLOW"(DUR 3:05);1.12.57 FF#8, BAY CITY ROLLERS - "LOVE ME LIKE I LOVE YOU"(DUR 3:07);1.16.05 FF#9, ERIC CARMEN - "ALL BY MYSELF"9DUR 4:29);1.22,00 FF#3, SHERBET - "DANCER"(DUR 3:23);1.25.25 FF#3, SHERBET - "HOWZAT" LIVE PERFORMANCE (DUR 3:42);1.29.19 FF#3, MAXINE NIGHTINGALE - "GOTTA BE THE ONE"(DUR 2:54); ;STORAGE TAPE 2B:;1.32.11 FF#7 SUPERNAUT - "I LIKE IT BOTH WAYS"(DUR 3:35);1.36.35 FF#10, ABBA - "MONEY, MONEY, MONEY"(DUR 3:06);1.39.46 FF#5, TED MULRY GANG (AKA TMG) - "JAMAICA RUM"(DUR 2:36);1.42.25 FF#11, JON ENGLISH - "HOLLYWOOD 7"(DUR 3:55);1.46.22 FF#1, FOX (AKA NOOSHA FOX) - "SSSSINGLE BED"(DUR 3:53);1.50.18 FF#1, SAILOR - "GIRLS, GIRLS, GIRLS"(DUR 2:57);1.53.18 FF#7, CLIFF RICHARD - "DEVIL WOMEN"(DUR 3:38);1.57.00 FF#12, BRIAN FERRY - "LET'S STICK TOGETHER"(DUR 2:59);2.00.00 FF#10, ABBA - "DANCING QUEEN"(DUR 3:45);2.03.48 FF#7, TAVARES - "HEAVEN MUST BE MISSING AN ANGEL"(DUR 3:23);2.07.11, FF#10, STARLAND VOCAL BAND - "AFTERNOON DELIGHT"(DUR 3:02);2.10.15 FF#13, THE MANHATTANS - "KISS AND SAY GOODBYE"(DUR 4:25)

Thanks for that info GuruBob - I was not even aware of this segment tape at all - Geez there is some rare stuff on there - most of these would be original promotional clips by the way - things that would have been shown on now long-deleted 70's episodes of Countdown. Some of the clips were included in those 1986 Rock Relics shows of a Saturday afternoon, but there are a few that have not seen the light of day anywhere!!

Speaking of rare 70’s clips, WHY do they not show these on Rage Retro segments for goodness sake!!

David Essex – City Lights (a small piece was shown on one of those Summer Countdowns of 1977 with the Top 60 of 1976 and repeated on Rage) – this is the WHOLE 6.26 full version!!

As rare as hens teeth – I can guarantee you that you cannot get this promo anywhere else in the world – and a great track – one of the best he ever did!! This was only a big hit in Australia as far as I am aware.

Billy Ocean – Love Really Hurts Without You – the original promo will be remembered very well for anyone who watched Countdown in 1976. Another great track, and the promo again – you just cannot get anywhere (except the incomplete version again shown in a Top 60 from 1976)

Ted Mulry – Crazy – might well be the Countdown performance which I have in not great quality. May even be a promo – either way is extremely rare so why not show it.

Most of the other material was part of Rock Relics – some of the clips have not been seen since. I must request some of these for next Summer for sure!!

Hi again Gurubob - are you able to drop me an E-Mail when you get a chance. I lost all my old E-Mails in December when my computer failed me so all my address book went into the blue yonder as well - thanks mate -Regards Brett

abbaluke
Guru Bob
It does have the words Count Down in large letters behind them so it was definitely shot in the Countdown studio you would think

Apologies for that Guru...I hadn't watched it in a long time and actually forgot the big "Countdown" lettering in the background. It was just that when I saw you mention the Countdown clips for Howzat & Magazine Madonna it occured to me that (maybe) you weren't aware of it and I wanted to bring it to your attention (and Jason). Every second of '70s Countdown footage that survived the crime of destruction inflicted at the ABC is so precious.

"Music Max" on Foxtel (probably the worst music video channel on Australian TV when it comes to their shocking and intrusive graphics all over the vids) also shows a rare performance of Howzat that no one else seems to show, which I think comes from 9's "Bandstand".

Thanks also for the other info about what's on that ABC music vids tape...amazing stuff !

Luke
I didn't actually know about that clip, I just did a search when you mentioned it. I know very little of the 70's compared to you and Brett and am always keen to learn more, although I had stumbled across this storage tape compile list once before when looking for something.

Brett (2)

David Essex – City Lights (a small piece was shown on one of those Summer Countdowns of 1977 with the Top 60 of 1976 and repeated on Rage) – this is the WHOLE 6.26 full version!!

As rare as hens teeth – I can guarantee you that you cannot get this promo anywhere else in the world – and a great track – one of the best he ever did!! This was only a big hit in Australia as far as I am aware.

Yep, that one jumped out at me too Brett...jaw dropping to think it's sitting there in the vaults. Something we should perhaps try to request next year. As far as the song itself goes...this isn't just some obscure '70s track...we're talking about a truly outstanding track here...an absolute killer. Moody, dark, ominous, haunting...f*#king incredible. I hope we can convince RAGE to show this...it is simply incredible !

Here's another ABC storage tape, no idea if it means anything to anyone:

ID: 377031 - COUNTDOWN - SEGMENT - MUSIC VIDEO STORAGE TAPE,ST0005A

recording date: 01-Jan-1977
duration: SEGS
summary: MUSIC VIDEO CLIPS AND COUNTDOWN STUDIO PERFORMANCES COLLECTED FOR ABC MUSIC PROGRAMS

personalities: AL STEWART, SINGER, UK;DRAGON, POP GROUP;SCANDAL, POP GROUP;STUART KERRISON, SCANDAL;JOHN GORTON, FORMER PRIME MINISTER;ALBIE DONNELLY, SUPERCHARGE, UK;MARK HOLDEN, SINGER;THE ANGELS, ROCK GROUP;PAUL O'GORMAN, SINGER;MOONLIGHT, POP GROUP;TASTE, POP GROUP;SHERBET, POP GROUP;MARCIA HINES, SINGER;TRACEY ANN LEE, SINGER;LITTLE RIVER BAND, POP GROUP;SHIRLEY STRACHAN, SINGER;RENEE GEYER, SINGER;SUPERNAUT, POP GROUP;LES GOCK, SINGER;JOHN ST PETERS, SINGER;PETER ALLEN, SINGER;ROCKWELL T JAMES, SINGER;DARYL BRAITHWAITE, SINGER;THE STUDS, POP GROUP;10CC, POP GROUP, UK;MOTHER GOOSE, POP GROUP, NZ;JOHN PAUL YOUNG, SINGER;IAN MELDRUM, MOLLY MELDRUM, COUNTDOWN HOST

shotlist: ALL FF#1;0.10 VS AL STEWART 'YEAR OF THE CAT' FILM CLIP;5.23 VS DRAGON 'GET THAT JIVE' FILM CLIP;8.19 VS SCANDAL 'BEST DEAL IN TOWN' FILM CLIP;12.26 VS JOHN GORTON COUNTDOWN INTRO;15.00 VS MARK HOLDEN 'REACH OUT FOR THE ONE WHO LOVES YOU' STUDIO PERFORMANCE, INC DONNELLY AND MELDRUM LINK;16.08 VS THE ANGELS 'YOU'RE A LADY NOW' STUDIO PERFORMANCE;19.39 VS PAUL O'GORMAN 'RIDE, RIDE AMERICA' STUDIO PERFORMANCE;24.43 VS DRAGON 'SUNSHINE' STUDIO PERFORMANCE;28.53 VS MOONLIGHT 'THE LIGHT' STUDIO PERFORMANCE, INC DONNELLY AND MELDRUM LINK;32.34 VS TASTE 'REBECCA' STUDIO PERFORMANCE;37.14 VS SHERBET 'MIDSUMMER MADNESS' STUDIO PERFORMANCE, SHERBET LINK;41.02 VS MARCIA HINES 'WHAT I DID FOR LOVE' STUDIO PERFORMANCE, SHERBET LINK;44.35 VS TRACEY ANN LEE 'BORN TO BE LOVED' STUDIO PERFORMANCE, SHERBET LINK;47.37 VS LITTLE RIVER BAND (AKA LRB) 'WITCHERY' STUDIO PERFORMANCE;50.25 VS SHIRLEY STRACHAN 'TRACKS OF MY TEARS' STUDIO PERFORMANCE;53.27 VS RENEE GEYER 'TENDER HOOKS' STUDIO PERFORMANCE;56.26 VS SUPERNAUT 'KIDS OUT TONIGHT' STUDIO PERFORMANCE, INC KERRISON LINK;59.50 VS LES GOCK 'EVERYWHERE I GO' STUDIO PERFORMANCE, INC GOCK PLAYING WHITE COUNTDOWN PIANO;1.03.00 VS JOHN ST PETERS 'SHINY SIDE UP' STUDIO PERFORMANCE;1.07.13 VS JOHN PAUL YOUNG 'WHERE THE ACTION IS' STUDIO PERFORMANCE, INC ALLEN AND MELDRUM LINK;1.11.40 VS ROCKWELL T JAMES 'LADY BLUE', INC ALLEN AND MELDRUM LINK;1.15.52 VS DARYL BRAITHWAITE 'AFTERGLOW OF YOUR LOVE' FILM CLIP;1.19.44 VS THE STUDS 'FUNKY FEET' STUDIO PERFORMANCE;1.23.18 VS PETER ALLEN 'THE MORE I SEE YOU' STUDIO PERFORMANCE, INC ALLEN PLAYING WHITE COUNTDOWN PIANO;1.27.00 VS MOTHER GOOSE 'BAKED BEANS' STUDIO PERFORMANCE, INC 10CC AND MELDRUM LINK

Looks interesting there. Some of the performances appear on a few DVDs of course, but the rest could either be asked for Retro season or another Wildcard special.

I wonder what the criteria was for which performances were saved and which were junked? Obviously out of the 140 or so episodes that got wiped there would have been hundreds of performances on them of which these storage tapes are only covering a fraction.

So I assume there were only the 2 storage tapes made?

They're the only 2 major tapes I saw for the 70's, unless I need to use other search words. There's other tapes such as the complete unedited interview with Prince Charles but most of the tapes are 80's material or even Countdown Revolution.

They have obviously lost a few tapes if tapes 2 and 5 are the only ones left or maybe they aren't catalogued yet, who knows. The next is:

ID: 377146 - SEGMENT - COUNTDOWN LIVE SEGMENTS,ST0011A

recording date: 19-Mar-1980
duration: SEGS
summary: COUNTDOWN LIVE STUDIO SEGMENTS & SONGS

personalities: FOREIGNER;TED MULRY GANG;THE FERRETTS;KAMAHL;JO JO ZEP;DAME EDNA EVERAGE;JOHN COUGAR, JOHN COUGAR MELLENCAMP, JOHN MELLENCAMP;THE ANGELS;STUDS;JOHN PAUL YOUNG;PEACHES;SHERBET;KEITH LAMB;ROSE TATTOO;JOHN ST PETERS;DARRYL COTTON;DRAGON;CONTRABAND;MONDO ROCK

shotlist: 00.00 FOREIGNER - COLD AS ICE;3.21 TED MULRY GANG (TMG) - LAZY EYES;6.36 THE FERRETTS - ARE YOU LOOKING AT ME;9.40 KAMAHL - WHAT WE DID WITHOUT MY MUSIC;12.58 JO JO ZEP-AINT GOT NO MONEY;16.12 DAME EDNA - HUMDRUM IV;20.01 EDNA - EVERY MOTHER WANTS A BOY LIKE ELTON;24.43 FOREIGNER - I'M A LONG WAY FROM HOME;28.26 JOHN COUGAR/JOHN COUGAR MELLENCAMP - I NEED A LOVER;31.34 ANGELS - TAKE A LONG LINE;34.35 STUDS - DR BOP;36.57 JOHN PAUL YOUNG - LOVE IS IN THE AIR;40.24 PEACHES - SUBSTITUTE;43.28 SHERBET - ANOTHER NIGHT ON THE ROAD;47.10 KEITH LAMB - THE CITY;50.38 TED MULRY GANG HEART OF STONE;54.21 ROSE TATTOO - ROCK & ROLL OUTLAW;58.01 JOHN ST PETERS - DEEP INSIDE OF ME;60.54 MATCHBOX - SLEEP;64.56 DARRYL COTTON - DON'T LET IT GET TO YOU;68.53 DRAGON - ARE YOU OLD ENOUGH;73.08 CONTRABAND - THATS YOUR WAT;76.26 KEITH LAMB - THE CITY;79.51 MONDO ROCK - FUGITIVE KIND;83.35 DARRYL COTTON - DON'T LET IT GET TO YOU;88.06 JOHNNY O'KEEFE - ORBIT;89.07 JOHN ST PETERS - DEEP INSIDE OF ME

Where are these storage tapes coming from?????

Are these 70s episodes which are actually still existing after the taping over?

They were just individual clips and performances that were put onto general storage tapes, like the Teenage Radio Stars clip that came from an episode of Countdown that has been deleted but the clip was saved via a storage tape.

abbaluke
Brett (2)

Yep, that one jumped out at me too Brett...jaw dropping to think it's sitting there in the vaults. Something we should perhaps try to request next year. As far as the song itself goes...this isn't just some obscure '70s track...we're talking about a truly outstanding track here...an absolute killer. Moody, dark, ominous, haunting...f*#king incredible. I hope we can convince RAGE to show this...it is simply incredible !

Hi Abbaluke - it is amazing but I was just E-Mailing Gurubob only 5 minutes ago and I was talking about this same song to him - and I also described it in exactly the same way to him!! He can vouch for me here!!

This IS an absolute 70's classic and I could not have put the 4 words together better to describe it if I tried!! At least in Australia we had the sense to make this a big hit for him - this is just a killer, awesome track - and you NEVER hear it on the airwaves these days at all which is ridiculous!!

We MUST Get Rage to somehow play this - start requesting it for that Saturday morning slot. I think they still have that request segment even after Retro Season is over don't they!!

I think I am going to go and request it right now!!

We need to enlist Jasons help as well and anyone else we can - PLEASE!!

Guru Bob
They were just individual clips and performances that were put onto general storage tapes, like the Teenage Radio Stars clip that came from an episode of Countdown that has been deleted but the clip was saved via a storage tape.

Thanks for all those segment tape details again Gurubob. As you mentioned, these are mainly pre-assembly compiles for long-deleted Countdowns compiled onto the same storage tapes for preservation. Some of the material has been shown - Rock Relics in 1986 had a few of these, and some are on DVD's as officially released - and of course Tastes "Rebecca" and Dragon's "Sunshine" (both ex missing Countdowns) were shown for the first time on that Oz Music month in November 2009.

The line-up for this week mentions some 60's and 70's clips - just maybe they will dig something rare out of these segment tapes. One can only hope. If it is "City Lights" - then I would just about die (sorry Jason I am pinching one of your own sayings here!!)

Luke, I can vouch for it, I just checked my emails and Brett is definitely excited.

Guru Bob

Ahhh, really! ... WOW!

How do you have access to these details?

It's such a pity that some 70s performances like Plastic Bertrand were taped over. These storage tapes are BRILLIANT as at l;east not ALL is lost like James Freud e.t.c...

I am happy to recommend anything you guys want and shove it down their ears!

Jason "The Moderator"
Guru Bob

Ahhh, really! ... WOW!

How do you have access to these details?

It's such a pity that some 70s performances like Plastic Bertrand were taped over. These storage tapes are BRILLIANT as at l;east not ALL is lost like James Freud e.t.c...

I am happy to recommend anything you guys want and shove it down their ears!

Thanks Jason - just City Lights will do from my point of view - ha ha - I think it will take some time though - as there probably needs to be some format changes before these segments can be converted to transmission tapes. It is definitely something to pursue down the track though.

Funny you should mention that Plastic Bertrand performance as our old friend Troy - No. 1 Countdown missing episodes investigator on the planet - has tracked down a somewhat shaky copy of that classic Countdown performance - which I think he let us know about in here some time ago.

And of course that James Freud/Teenage Radio Stars Countdown clip is simply magnificent!!

I know of this Plastic Bertrand performance on Countdown because it's on Troy's site and he put a link here...

Just BRILLIANT! I can't believe the ABC taped over that episode! It's just unbelievable how low that is!

Interesting info about the segment tapes. I'm just so grateful most of the 80's episodes survived. I would have been seriously devastated had all of them been lost and I do feel very sorry for 70's fans who want to see the lost eps come back again.

Speaking of which I'd love to know what happened to the 2 September 1984 Jackson Victory dance comp. show. Parts of it was on Youtube about 2 years ago and them I assume the ABC asked for a copy and had it taken off - haven't heard anything since about it.

Would love to see it if its in good condition - I think that's one of 3 or 4 1980's episodes 'missing'. Where the original tape for that episode is I have no idea - strange considering all the other 84 eps are intact - fingers crossed it is shown one day.

What is a storage tape?