Welcome to my forum connected to countdownmemories.com

Discuss everything COUNTDOWN and beyond!

Countdown Episodes * 70s & 80s Australian Music Programs * Music Video * Molly
Trading *  Collecting * Archival Information * Record/CD releases and more .........

COUNTDOWN IS BACK THIS JANUARY, 2019 ...  ON rage !!!!!
Stay tuned below with regular Countdown full archival information for each Countdown episode rage shall be airing every Saturday throughout January ...

Countdownmemories.com forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
COUNTDOWN 1984

Great episode BUT I could KICK myself!

I requested the preview episode and not the episode with the FULL Boy George and Marilyn interview (ARGH)

Ah well, better than nothing :-(

Also on the down side, my DVD Recorder with built in set top box has been pix elating like MAD on the 1984 Episode. NOT HAPPY AT ALL!

The IQ copy has to be transferred again!

I am quite getting sick of this!

Re: COUNTDOWN 1984

This was the actual show with the FULL interview!

I am such a FOOL, I should have paid more attention. I do have the interview from a dubbed copy BUT wanted a clearer one. Ah well, toooo late now :-(

Year:1984
Date:04/11/1984
Show no:441
Summary:THIS SHOW WAS HOSTED BY LYN BUCKFIELD FROM ELECTRIC PANDAS AND MOLLY WHO IV LYN RE ALBUM, TOUR. LYN, MOLLY AND PUNTER TO PUNTER PERFORMED COMEDY SKETCHES ABOUT THE MELBOURNE CUP.VIDEO CLIPS:
ELECTRIC PANDAS 'LET'S GAMBLE'
HALL & OATS 'OUT OF TOUCH'
PUNTER TO PUNTER 'PUNT, PUNT, PUNT'
BILLY OCEAN 'CARIBBEAN QUEEN' (EXCERPT)
FREDDIE MERCURY 'LOVE KILLS'
MADONNA 'LIKE A VIRGIN'
DEAD OR ALIVE 'THAT'S THE WAY'
DYNAMIC HEPNOTICS 'SOUL KIND OF FEELING'
JIMMY BARNES 'PROMISE ME YOU'LL CALL'
CULTURE CLUB 'THE WAR SONG' AND IV RE TOUR, ALBUM,
RELATIONSHIP WITH MARILYN, SONG
SCANDAL 'THE WARRIOR' (ENDS SHOW)
CHARTBUSTERS:
HOWARD JONES 'LIKE TO GET TO KNOW YOU WELL'
PAUL MCCARTNEY 'NO MORE LONELY NIGHTS'
MADONNA 'LUCKY STAR'
AUSTEN TAYSHUS 'PHANTOM SHUFFLE'

Oh well, it was good to see a 1984 episode even if it wasn't the one you wanted to see.

I would imagine that it would only be about a 1 minute segment during The War Song as well judging by the usual length that they put interviews on other episodes.

I would have thought you might have requested the 1984 Countdown Special on Boy George, although I can only guess that you would already have it:

ID: 190905 - COUNTDOWN SPECIAL;WHO'S A TART

recording date: 21-Jun-1984, shown 26-6-1984
duration: 54.00
summary: THIS IS A COUNTDOWN SPECIAL FEATURING IV WITH BOY GEORGE. AND CULTURE CLUB FILM CLIPS. MELDRUM IV BOY GEORGE, HELEN TERRY AND MARILYN. THE MAJOR PART OF THE PROGRAM CONSISTS OF BOY GEORGE IV.

shotlist: 0.00 FF#1 VS CULTURE CLUB 'DO YOU REALLY WANT TO HURT ME?' FILM CLIP (DUR 1.07);1.07 MWS MELDRUM INTRO;1.36 VS WHO'S A TART? BREAKER;3.15 VS MELDRUM IV BOY GEORGE RE STARTING A BAND WAS FUN, WORKING SO HARD, MY LIFE IS CULTURE CLUB, MAIN THING IS I'VE GOT A JOB THAT I LIKE, UNSURE OF INSPIRATION WITH MAKE-UP BUT HATED THIS BLAND FACE, NO DESIRE TO BE A WOMAN, MOVED TO BIRMINGHAM AT 16 AND WORE HEAVY MAKE-UP BUT WORE MAKE-UP BEFORE THAT, DISCOVERING THIS UNIQUE VOICE BUT VOICE ISN'T THAT GOOD BUT IT IS IMPROVING, LEARNT STEVIE WONDER STILL TAKES SINGING LESSONS AND SO DO I, TAKES LESSONS AND WARMS UP LOTS;7.50 FF#1 VS CULTURE CLUB 'TIME (CLOCK OF THE HEART)' FILM CLIP (DUR 1.22);8.57 VS MELDRUM IV BOY GEORGE RE THERE'S SOMETHING VERY IMPERFECT ABOUT ME THAT ATTRACTS ALL SORTS OF PEOPLE, WENT TO HARI KRISHNA TEMPLE THE OTHER DAY, MY MAKE-UP IS LIKE A WOMAN'S IN THAT IT'S TO MAKE ME LOOK BETTER NOT JUST AS AN IMAGE, CHANGING LOOKS ALL THE TIME, DEALT WITH SUCCESS WITH LOTS OF GIGGLES, BROTHERS AND SISTERS HANDLED THE PRESSURE WELL, STAR SYSTEM SO STRONG IN AMERICA, THE ENGLISH DEAL BETTER WITH KNOCKERS AS OPPOSED TO AMERICANS, VERY LITTLE FREEDOM IN AMERICA, MICHAEL JACKSON SURROUNDED BY YES-MEN, GOOD TO GET THUMPED OCCASIONALLY, SOME GUY CALLED ME A POOF AND I CONFRONTED HIM, BRITISH HAVE SENSE OF HUMOUR AND DON'T FAWN OVER MUSIC HEROES, HARDER TO WRITE TO 10 MILLION PEOPLE THAN JUST FOR 10 PEOPLE, MICHAEL JACKSON LOOKS LIKE HOW PRINCE LOOKED THREE YEARS AGO;19.27 FF#1 VS CULTURE CLUB 'I'LL TUMBLE 4 YA' FILM CLIP (DUR 1.54);21.22 VS MELDRUM IV BOY GEORGE RE I'M A FAN OF RECORDS NOT JUST GENRES, LOVED GLADYS KNIGHT, GLEN CAMPBELL, GENE PITNEY, ELVIS PRESLEY, DON'T LIKE HEAVY METAL BUT ENJOYS DEF LEPPARD, LED ZEPPELIN, BEING DESCRIBED AS A RINGMASTER OF A CIRCUS;23.20 VS MELDRUM IV HELEN TERRY RE MET GEORGE AND MARILYN OUTSIDE HEAVEN NIGHTCLUB AND WAS INVITED TO SING 'DO YOU REALLY WANT TO HURT ME';25.15 VS MELDRUM IV BOY GEORGE RE EVERYONE IN THE BAND IS A GENIUS AND ESSENTIAL, IT'S A BAND NOT JUST ME, EACH MEMBER HAS THEIR OWN FANS;25.54 FF#1 VS CULTURE CLUB 'CHURCH OF THE POISON MIND' FILM CLIP (DUR 1.54);27.38 VS MELDRUM IV BOY GEORGE RE EVERYONE WAS AGAINST THE HARMONICA AND TERRY'S VOCALS INITIALLY ON 'CHURCH OF THE POISON MIND', EDITOR OF 'KARMA CHAMELEON' IS A GENIUS, 'IT'S A MIRACLE' VIDEO HAPPENED ON THE DAY, EVERYONE SAID FOR ME TO KEEP DOING THE VIDEOS;30.21 FF#1 VS CULTURE CLUB 'KARMA CHAMELEON' FILM CLIP (DUR 1.00);31.13 VS MELDRUM IV BOY GEORGE RE IT'S EASY TO JUST SIGN AN AUTOGRAPH THAN TO BECOME A RECLUSE, HOW TO MEET PEOPLE AND BE YOURSELF, DON'T GO TO NIGHTCLUBS OR PARTIES BUT I DO GO TO QUIET THINGS, USED TO GO TO NIGHTCLUBS TO JUST BE NOTICED, NEVER MEET PEOPLE AT NIGHTCLUBS, I'M A GOOD JUDGE OF CHARACTER, JOURNALISTS CAN WRITE ANYTHING ABOUT ME, QUOTES QUENTIN CRISP;35.09 FF#2 VS CULTURE CLUB 'IT'S A MIRACLE' FILM CLIP (DUR 0.42);35.52 VS MELDRUM IV BOY GEORGE RE DAD DEFENDED ME AND MY PARENTS WOULD ALWAYS DEFEND ME, PARENTS NEVER THOUGHT ABOUT WHAT PEOPLE THOUGHT, MOTHER WORKED IN A BAND, PARENTS CRITICAL OF MARILYN BECAUSE HE WAS OVER-THE-TOP, WENT TO EGYPT ON HOLIDAY WITH MARILYN TO GET HIM SOME PUBLICITY;40.20 VS MELDRUM IV MARILYN RE HIS RELATIONSHIP WITH BOY GEORGE, "WE'RE BOTH VERY *************** VS MELDRUM IV BOY GEORGE RE LIFE WITH MARILYN LIVING IN A SQUAT;41.40 FF#3 VS CULTURE CLUB 'VICTIMS' FILM CLIP (DUR 1.11);42.46 VS MELDRUM IV BOY GEORGE RE PRINCESS MARGARET'S COMMENTS ABOUT HIM BEING "A TART", I DON'T WANT THAT KIND OF ACCEPTANCE ANYWAY, WENT TO LADIES TOILET JUST TO BE CHEEKY;46.56 FF#4 VS CULTURE CLUB 'MISS ME BLIND' FILM CLIP (DUR 1.07);47.55 VS MELDRUM IV BOY GEORGE RE BROTHER HAD HIS NOSE BROKEN BECAUSE OF ME EVEN THOUGH HE'S A BOXER, WOOLWICH IS VERY ROUGH, LOOKING FORWARD TO PLAYING LIVE IN AUSTRALIA, USES SLIDES AND GRAPHICS AS BACKDROPS IN LIVE SHOW SONGS SOUND BETTER ON STAGE THAN ON RECORD;51.07 FF#1 VS CULTURE CLUB 'DO YOU REALLY WANT TO HURT ME?' FILM CLIP (DUR 2.53) ('WHO'S A TART?' GRAPHIC AT START OF SONG AND CREDITS AT END OF

What's this 'Promise Me You'll Call' by Jimmy Barnes on the 4/11/84 episode? Was this the follow up to 'No Second Prize'? Had no idea it was a single and have never seen this video clip.

I enjoyed the 84 ep and it was most definatley the highlight of the night for me.

I loved seeing Howard Jones get swamped by eager fans whilst performing Get to know you well - reminded me of when JPY/Mark Holden used to receive the same treatment in earlier years.

Hopefully Rage will play more of this era of Countdown and less of the 79/80 eps which are becoming somewhat tiresome.

Michael
What's this 'Promise Me You'll Call' by Jimmy Barnes on the 4/11/84 episode? Was this the follow up to 'No Second Prize'? Had no idea it was a single and have never seen this video clip.

I think this was the follow up to Daylight. The only time I have seen this clip was when Jimmy was GP back in the early 90's.

My friend and I full on got stuck into Sony Vegas today and we put the 1984 Countdown Logo over the 1984 Countdown Episode from last night.

it looks BRILLIANT! And soooooo much better than the ABC 1 Logo.

Going to do them all in the next month from this January!

Hoping there are more BETTER Countdown's in the next 2 weeks as that 1984 Episode last night is leaving me so HUNGRY for More amazing episodes like the 1984 one !!! :-)

I LOVE 1984 !!!

OK, something doesn't match up. The 21/10/84 episode which was shown on rage last month, doesn't follow on with the 10th Anniversary show, which says it being 27/10/84. Shouldn't it be 28th? which would make sense as it follows onto the next week, being the 4/11/84 episode. The 10th Anniv. show was shown on a Sunday night at 5.30 as advertised on the 21/10/84 episode.

Can someone back me up here or tell me I'm wrong?

Michael
You are correct, it was shown 5:30 - 6.55pm Sunday October 28 1984. Just another case of ABC archives being a little mixed.

Oddly, the replay the following Saturday Nov 3 only went for an hour so they must have replayed another episode.

Thanks for clearing this up. It's funny how rage have played the 10th Anniversary show 3 times, yet everytime they highlight it as 27 October. I will put it down as 28th for my records. Cheers.

It's recorded in their archives as transmitted on 27/10/84. It was probably the recording date as they would have a recording date, transmitted date and replay date attached to each episode but in this case Oct 27 is the only associated date.

Guru Bob
It's recorded in their archives as transmitted on 27/10/84. It was probably the recording date as they would have a recording date, transmitted date and replay date attached to each episode but in this case Oct 27 is the only associated date.

I'm confused, what is the discussion all about at the moment in here?

What's up with what 1984 episode, PLEASE EXPLAIN!

Just that the 27/10/84 - 10th Anniversary Show, should really be 28/10/84. ABC Archives are wrong. The show was recorded on 27/10/84 and transmitted on 28/10/84.

barne's ' promise' was his debut.weak song.

Jimmy Barnes debut was earlier in the year with 'No Second Prize' which reached No12 on the charts.

Promise was the followup single, but stalled at No89.

Does anybody else think that Austin Tayshus's 'The Phantom Rap' beat sounds alot like Wham's 'Wham Rap'?

That was the first I had heard of it, and no wonder it wasn't a hit. Could well have been a bit of copying of Wham Bam I The Man in there. How good are Hall and Oates? Evident particularly by the awesome song and video "Out Of Touch". Gee, that Melbourne Cup theme was annoying, & just plain stupid. Thankfully the music saved the day!

Matt73
That was the first I had heard of it, and no wonder it wasn't a hit. Could well have been a bit of copying of Wham Bam I The Man in there. How good are Hall and Oates? Evident particularly by the awesome song and video "Out Of Touch". Gee, that Melbourne Cup theme was annoying, & just plain stupid. Thankfully the music saved the day!

Yeah, the Melbourne Cup theme did go on a bit. Only Melbourne people would have known about the 'Punter To Punter' breakfast panel that hosted the show.

Matt73

First of all I DIE for the Austin Tayshus's 'The Phantom Rap' and saw it as a preview on a Countdown 1984 a few years ago, they played more on the episode last night BUT I WANT the whole thing. I LOOOOVE IT! :-) Sooooo camp and wonderful!

Yes, the Melbourne Cup thing went on for toooo long and Gavin's stupid racing voice over and over again and over the videos!

Yeah the MC theme started to grate on me, especially GW doing the Top10.

I can't stand Dr Turf either.