Welcome to my forum connected to countdownmemories.com

Discuss everything COUNTDOWN and beyond!

Countdown Episodes * 70s & 80s Australian Music Programs * Music Video * Molly
Trading *  Collecting * Archival Information * Record/CD releases and more .........

COUNTDOWN IS BACK THIS JANUARY, 2019 ...  ON rage !!!!!
Stay tuned below with regular Countdown full archival information for each Countdown episode rage shall be airing every Saturday throughout January ...

Countdownmemories.com forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
CD 17 February 1980

I'd forgotten that Rupert Holmes looked exactly like my year nine maths teacher... well, let's face it he looked like every maths teacher I ever had and some of the computer studies ones as well. What a hunk;)

I have to say I got the feeling that I'd seen a lot of the stuff in this episode on other Countdowns from around the same time, already repeated. So the word that comes to mind the most is 'deja vu'.

Surely there were better eps than this to play? What's the criteria I wonder. Maybe the 1980s are on a lower shelf?

Re: CD 17 February 1980

I have to say that I didn't mind the 1980 EPisode.

The Reels performance where they come up from the smoke then back down at the end was FAB :-)

LOVED what Dave Mason was wearing as well.

LOVED Humdrum with Molly telling him they should have kept the name Sherbet AND The Kiss Clones at the end. Really liked the first performance as well, good track and nice visuals.

If there were 4 Countdown's in a row tonight unrepeated this episode would have looked better.

I want my Countdown January fix and I don't feel like I am getting it, CRY!

I have the 1984 Epsiode in about 40 minutes, sigh ...

It wasn't bad, but it wasn't a stand out either. There's a lot better waiting to be re-screened.

Looks like it's just you and me again Jason?

Yep,

Just you and I again indeed.

Even though there ain't much good stuff tonight there is NO way I won't watch the 1984 Episode LIVE!

Especially since I requested it! How silly would that be!

I am SOOOOOOO excited :-) :-) :-)

It was around this time that I became a real music fan and regular viewer but I don't think I ever saw this one when it was on. I normally get flashbacks...Maybe I had homework???

It seems to have some less than successful material on it (Buckingham and Kiss stuff case in point) but that doesn't make it a bad episode.

I'm struggling to find a coherent theme to label it. There's no actual 'host', no motiff... very little Molly as well...

A very interesting episode indeed!

I thought this episode was good, but not great and I think rage played it to appease the 70's Countdown fans, as a lot of the music on this episode spilled over from '79 and it featured Daryl, JPY and Skyhooks live in the studio (even though no Shirl).

I did like Molly taking the P I S S out of Daryl and you could tell Darly was getting a bit uncomfortable and embarassed about the name of the current band. I was waiting for Daryl to just lose it and hit him but he just sat there and bit his tongue - like a true professional.

Didn't know that 'Escape' was No.1 this week - knocking MJ off the No.1 spot - what a feat! and poor Coleen Hewitt - just missing out on equalling the No.1 spot this week...eventually she would spend 5 or 6 weeks at No.2 when 'Crazy Little Thing Called Love' also kept her off the top spot.

The lead singer of Skyhooks reminded me of a cross between Doc Neeson and Steve Gilpin - in stage presence/performance etc. Anyone have any info on him?

Generally it was an ok episode. The Reels were the stand outs in the live performance front - their interesting outfits were nice to see.

As for Skyhooks - they were nothing without Shirley and it showed - really they should have disbanded when he left.

Daryl Braithwaite - I've always wondered why Sherbert called themselves Highway and then The Sherbs. With each original member of the band still there under the group's various names why didn't they just stick with Sherbert all along? And why call themselves The Sherbs? If they were fair dinkum in changing their band's direction they should have either kept the Highway tag or chosen something totally different. But I enjoyed Molly stringing Daryl along about it - was entertaining to watch.

The Captain and Tennille clip was amusing as was Rupert Holmes. Rupert actually reminds me of British comedian Kenny Everett - could almost pass as his double!

Overall Retro 3 was quite poor though with the repeated End of Decade special a huge let-down. One only hopes next week is much better.

Skyhooks wanted to go a new wave sort of direction, but it wasn't going to work.

Sherbet changed their name to Highway for the American market. It only lasted for only one album. They tried to change their music to sound more west coast American. I think like Skyhooks they tried to change with the times and called themselves 'The Sherbs'. It worked a little better, as 'The Skill' is a very good album.

Michael
The lead singer of Skyhooks reminded me of a cross between Doc Neeson and Steve Gilpin - in stage presence/performance etc. Anyone have any info on him?

After Shirley left in 1978, Tony Williams did the vocals in 1979-80. He had been with a band called Reuben Tice as their singer from 1972-78, a band that Macainish had also been with in 1969.

We saw him on other Countdown episodes when they performed Over The Border on the 5/5/79 episode and Keep The Junk In America 15/6/80 just before the band split. They were quite good songs really but Shirley was just irreplaceable, just like Michael Hutchence at INXS.

Thanks Guru - I knew I could rely on you for some info.

Michael
I thought this episode was good, but not great and I think rage played it to appease the 70's Countdown fans, as a lot of the music on this episode spilled over from '79 and it featured Daryl, JPY and Skyhooks live in the studio (even though no Shirl).

I'm going to be the annoying terd Michael who's pedantic and points out that 1980 is the last year of the 1970s (not in the public immagination but in relation to mathematics).

I just thought it was bland as episodes go and there are a ton of unplayed ones that would have been better... but I think you are very right in saying that it may have been included largely for 'balance' (he says knowing that almost nothing aired between 1987 and 1990 has been aired for ages on retro!).