Welcome to my forum connected to countdownmemories.com

Discuss everything COUNTDOWN and beyond!

Countdown Episodes * 70s & 80s Australian Music Programs * Music Video * Molly
Trading *  Collecting * Archival Information * Record/CD releases and more .........

COUNTDOWN IS BACK THIS JANUARY, 2019 ...  ON rage !!!!!
Stay tuned below with regular Countdown full archival information for each Countdown episode rage shall be airing every Saturday throughout January ...

Countdownmemories.com forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Alternate lyrics

Did anybody see the clip of The Who singing Substitute (1966) during Sunday morning's lineup? This is the first time I've seen this clip and the thing I noticed was how the lyric "I look all white but my dad was black" was replaced by "I face the front but I keep walking back". Perhaps this was done to appease the Americans during the civil rights era. Changing lyrics for rock videos even extended into the 1980s. Living On the Ceiling (1982) had the word bloody in "I'm up the bloody tree" replaced by "cuckoo". In Bill Wyman's Je Suis Un Rock Star the line "we smoked marijuana" was replaced by "she was a disco dancer". I don't think this ever happened in Countdown although I remember a newspaper article about Australian Crawl's The Boys Light Up which claimed that it would be performed on that week's CD "in a censored version", but when the show went to air the original lyrics remained intact

Re: Alternate lyrics

Voice of the Beehive's 'I Say Nothing' had some of the lyrics changed for both its original single/video release (in the UK) in Nov '87, and its re-issue single/2nd video release in July '88:

"I get it every night" was changed to "I see him every night"

"he'll rip you right in two" was changed to "he'll rip your heart in two"

Re: Alternate lyrics

Yes but the clip is too short!