Welcome to my forum connected to countdownmemories.com

Discuss everything COUNTDOWN and beyond!

Countdown Episodes * 70s & 80s Australian Music Programs * Music Video * Molly
Trading *  Collecting * Archival Information * Record/CD releases and more .........

COUNTDOWN IS BACK THIS JANUARY, 2019 ...  ON rage !!!!!
Stay tuned below with regular Countdown full archival information for each Countdown episode rage shall be airing every Saturday throughout January ...

Countdownmemories.com forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
rage retro 2 Programming

LAST PLAYED IN 1997

)I actually missed this as I was in the UK, got sister to record for me but didn't :-( so this is new to me BUT I could easily have obtained from someone, CRAP!)

Year: 1979
Date:25/11/1979
Show no: 221
...Summary: THIS SHOW HOSTED BY MARC HUNTER FROM DRAGON AND MOLLY MELDRUM (WITHOUT HAT). THREE IV'S ONE WITH ELTON JOHN, ONE WITH ROD STEWART (THESE TWO ARTISTS WERE DISCUSSING EACH OTHERS MUSIC CONTROVERSIALLY AND ELTON DISCUSSED HOSTING THE COUNTDOWN SPECIAL) AND THE OTHER WAS WITH
DAVID BOWIE. MOLLY PRESENTED HUMDRUM WHICH INCLUDED A DISPLAY OF A VIEWER'S 'KISS' DRAWINGS.
LOCAL ARTISTS:
DRAGON 'MOTOR CITY CONNECTION' (LIVE)
LA FEMME 'DOE SEE DOE' (LIVE)
MI-SEX 'COMPUTER GAMES'
COLD CHISEL 'CHOIR GIRL' (LIVE)
MARC HUNTER 'DON'T TAKE ME' (LIVE)
OVERSEAS TALENT:
CHARLIE DANIELS BAND 'THE DEVIL WENT DOWN IN GEORGIA'
AMI STEWART 'JEALOUSY'
STYX 'BABE'
BOOMTOWN RATS 'I DON'T LIKE MONDAYS'
KISS 'ATTACK OF THE PHANTOMS' (ACTUALLY FILM PREVIEW)
OVERSEAS CHARTBUSTERS:
ABBA 'GIMME GIMME'
TOM PACE 'MAYBE'
BUGGLES 'VIDEO KILLED THE RADIO STAR'
HUMDRUM ITEMS:
NIGHT 'COLD WIND ACROSS MY HEART'
'DISCO MICKEY MOUSE'
'SMURF SONG'
JON ENGLISH 'HOT TOWN'

NEVER PLAYED SINCE 1981 :-) AND THIS IS MY REQUEST!!!!

Year: 1981
Date: 12/04/1981
Show no: 280
...Summary: DAVE MASON LEAD SINGER OF THE REELS HOSTS THIS WEEKS SHOW AND THERE IS AN INTERVIEW WITH STEVIE WONDER.
LIVE STUDIO ITEMS:
THE INNOCENTS
COME TONIGHT'
SPORTS 'HOW COME'
CHEETAH 'LOVE YOU TO THE LIMIT'
THE CHURCH 'UNGUARDED MOMENT'
THE REELS 'SHOUT & DELIVER'
LINDA GEORGE 'TELEPHONE LINES'
OVERSEAS ARTISTS VIDEO CLIPS:
KIKI DEE 'STAR'
TALKING HEADS 'ONCE IN A LIFETIME'
KIM WILDE 'KIDS IN AMERICA'
STEVIE WONDER 'MASTER BLASTER','BLACK ORCHID','LIVING
IN THE CITY','LATELY'
TOP TEN ITEMS:
PHIL COLLINS 'IN THE AIR TONIGHT'
SPLIT ENZ 'HISTORY NEVER REPEATS'
ROXY MUSIC 'JEALOUS GUY'
DOLLY PARTON '9 TO 5'
DR HOOK 'WILD COLONIAL BOY'
BLONDIE 'RAPTURE'
EDDIE RABBIT 'I LOVE A RAINY NIGHT'
JOHN LENNON 'WOMAN'
DR HOOK 'GIRLS CAN GET IT'
SHEENA EASTON '9 TO 5'
THE SWINGERS 'COUNTING THE BEAT'
ADAM & THE ANTS 'ANT MUSIC'
LOCAL CHARTBUSTERS:
SPLIT ENZ 'HISTORY NEVER REPEATS'
OVERSEAS CHARTBUSTERS:
YOKO ONO 'WALKING ON THIN ICE'
SKY 'MEHEECO'
JUICE NEWTON 'ANGEL OF THE MORNING'
JOY DIVISION 'LOVE WILL TEAR US APART'
STRAY CATS 'RUNAWAY BOYS'
OVERSEAS HUMDRUM ITEMS:
ELVIS COSTELLO 'CLUBLAND'
MADNESS 'EMBARRASSEMENT'
SNAKEFINGER 'MAN IN A DARK SEDAN '
UB40 'DREAM A LIE'
ULTRAVOX 'VIENNA'

NOT PLAYED SINCE 1985. rage have the wrong date for this. It's NOT 3rd BUT 10th!

Year: 1985
Date: 10/03/1985
Show no: 453
...Summary: THIS SHOW FEATURED LINKS FROM MOLLY AS DJ AT A DISCO AT MOOMBA.STUDIO PERFORMANCES:
UNCANNY X-MEN 'THE PARTY'
I'M TALKING 'TRUST ME' (PRE-RECORDED);
FULL MARKS 'BREAK DOWN THE WALLS' (PRE-RECORDED);
NATIONAL CHARTBUSTERS (EXCERPTS):
BILLY OCEAN 'LOVERBOY';
MICK JAGGER 'JUST ANOTHER NIGHT';
JIM DIAMOND 'I SHOULD HAVE KNOWN BETTER';
DURAN DURAN'GIRLS ON FILM' PACKAGE (EXCERPTS):
PAT BENATAR 'OOH OOH SONG';LAURA BRANIGAN 'TI AMO';
CYNDI LAUPER 'MONEY CHANGES EVERYTHING';
SHADE ADU 'HANG ON TO YOUR LOVE';
VIDEO CLIPS:
DAVID LEE ROTH 'CALIFORNIA GIRLS';
SPY VS SPY 'ONE OF A KIND';
GLENN FREY 'THE HEAT IS ON';
MURRAY HEAD 'ONE NIGHT IN BANGKOK';
DEAD OR ALIVE 'YOU SPIN ME ROUND (LIKE A RECORD)';
MARIA VIDAL 'BODY ROCK';
KANE GANG 'RESPECT YOURSELF';
DYNAMIC HEPNOTICS 'GOTTA BE WRONG' (EXCERPT);
POINTER SISTERS 'NEUTRON DANCE';
RATTLESNAKES (TITLE OF SONG UNKNOWN) (EXCERPT);
TOP TEN ITEMS:
JOHN FOGERTY 'THE OLD MAN DOWN THE ROAD';
POINTER SISTERS 'NEUTRON DANCE';
JIM DIAMOND 'I SHOULD HAVE KNOWN BETTER';
LIMAHL 'NEVER ENDING STORY';
TEARS FOR FEARS 'SHOUT';
LAURA BRANIGAN 'TI AMO';
BRUCE SPRINGSTEEN 'BORN IN THE USA';
DON HENLEY 'BOYS OF SUMMER';
MURRAY HEAD 'ONE NIGHT IN BANGKOK';
FOREIGNER 'I WANT TO KNOW WHAT LOVE IS';
MADONNA 'MATERIAL GIRL' (NO.1 PREDICTICTION)

STAND BY SHOW WITH JAMES REYNE
23 August, 1980.

The details on this show look terrible. Ah well, getting my 1981 EPisode :-)

Re: rage retro 2 Programming

I had suggested 20 episodes and 2 of them are getting played this week.

Molly at Moomba and August 23 1980. At first I thought they were going to play the March 3 1985 episode with Marc Hunter - while it hasn't been repeated there weren't any outstanding performances on that episode so I am very happy they are showing 10/3/1985 as they have shown very few 1985 episodes over the years.

I had specifically requested that standby program as it was a Countdown that featured 1970's performances but had not been repeated. I was hoping that by suggesting this they wouldn't repeat any 70's but we still ended up with Nov 25 1979. Can't win them all but at least it is something different.

ID: 212542 - COUNTDOWN;STANDBY PROGRAM - PROGRAM

duration: 54.24
summary: SPECIAL EDITION COUNTDOWN STANDBY PROGRAM HOSTED BY JAMES REYNE LOOKING BACK AT ARTISTS FROM WHEN COUNTDOWN FIRST WENT TO AIR IN 1974 TO PRESENT DAY

personalities: JAMES REYNE, GUEST HOST, PERFORMER;HUSH, BAND;SKYHOOKS, BAND;DRAGON, BAND;MARCIA HINES, PERFORMER;JOHN PAUL YOUNG, PERFORMER;SPLIT ENZ, BAND;FERRETS, BAND;SHERBET, BAND;AC/DC, BAND;COLD CHISEL, BAND;SPORTS, BAND;THE ANGELS, BAND;LITTLE RIVER BAND, BAND;AUSTRALIAN CRAWL, BAND;DADDY COOL, BAND
shotlist: 0.00 OPENING TITLES;0.13 MS REYNE LINK, SPEAKS RE SPECIAL EDITION OF COUNTDOWN, LOTS OF CLIPS YOU HAVEN'T SEEN FOR YEARS;0.43 FF#1 VS HUSH 'BONEY MORONEY' FILM CLIP;3.46 MS REYNE LINK;4.15 FF#2 VS SKYHOOKS 'HORROR MOVIE' FILM CLIP;7.40 MS REYNE LINK;7.57 FF#3 VS DRAGON 'APRIL SUN IN CUBA' FILM CLIP;11.18 BREAKER;11.25 FF#4 VS MARCIA HINES 'YOU' FILM CLIP EX COUNTDOWN;14.12 MS REYNE LINK;14.30 FF#5 VS JOHN PAUL YOUNG 'YESTERDAY'S HERO' FILM CLIP;17.40 MS REYNE LINK;17.55 FF#6 VS SPLIT ENZ 'MY MISTAKE' FILM CLIP;20.50 BREAKER;20.56 FF#6 VS FERRETS 'DON'T FALL IN LOVE' FILM CLIP;23.54 MS REYNE LINK;24.05 FF#7 VS SHERBET 'HOWZAT' FILM CLIP;27.45 MCU REYNE LINK;27.55 FF#5 VS AC/DC 'IT'S A LONG WAY TO THE TOP' FILM CLIP;33.00 BREAKER;33.05 FF#8 VS COLD CHISEL 'BREAKFAST AT SWEETHEARTS' FILM CLIP;36.30 MS REYNE LINK;36.40 FF#9 VS SPORTS 'DON'T THROW STONES' FILM CLIP EX COUNTDOWN;40.00 FF#5 VS THE ANGELS 'AFTER THE RAIN' FILM CLIP EX COUNTDOWN;43.05 MCU REYNE LINK;43.15 FF#10 VS LITTLE RIVER BAND (AKA LRB) 'HELP IS ON ITS WAY' FILM CLIP EX COUNTDOWN;47.00 MCU REYNE LINK;47.20 FF#10 VS AUSTRALIAN CRAWL 'BEAUTIFUL PEOPLE' FILM CLIP EX COUNTDOWN;50.10 MS REYNE LINK;50.30 FF#11 B&W VS DADDY COOL 'EAGLE ROCK' FILM CLIP

I think all the performances were taken from existing Countdowns so we will know them all, we just haven't seen them in this package.

Ahhh, okay. I see your point.

You are getting the 1985 Episode and I am getting the 1981 Episode :-)

That 1980 one you requested is a SHOCKER though, ah well... I can see why you did it :-)

Playlist looks potentially interesting. The 1981 and 85 ones sound pretty good although I can see the logic in the 1980 one as well considering all of the 70's shows have already been aired - if that (mostly) keeps repeats from happening then that's no bad thing.

The bits and pieces in between seem ok too - I assume the Hitscene being shown is not a repeat? The William Shakespeare/Gerry Rafferty tributes look good too.

At least Week 2 is a vast improvement on Week 1 - may it continue!

The Standby show should be great, love to some performances that I haven't seen in decades.

Bony Morony by Hush etc etc

Shame the '79 episode is yet another repeat, 4 shows in 1 night was too good to be true for the Rage programmers.

I believe we just have to think outside the box occasionally but the message still seems to get scrambled by the time it reaches the other end sometimes.

If it was up to me we would be showing the remaining 220 unrepeated episodes over the next 11 years at 20 per year along with Sweet & Sour on ABC2 and then I swear I will never make another suggestion again, but I think that would hit a brick wall with the programmers so I just hope they play interesting and different items that cover all eras.

My only real gripe is repeated material and as there is so little left from the 70's I just try to steer the Rage crew away from repeating 70's Countdown. The real problem goes back to 1997 when they showed 20 Countdowns over the summer that year (brilliant) but the only problem was that they were all 70's episodes so in one year we used up half the archives of remaining 70's Countdowns. If only they had shown all 80's then they would still be able to filter in the 70's shows.

The 90's were good for Countdown on Rage but they tended to repeat a lot of episodes back then and they played a majority of 70's, there wasn't much 80's shown in those first 7 years. Maybe like us now in regards to 90's music, in the mid 90's they probably didn't regard 80's as retro.

I really think they should be applauded for editing a Recovery down to the live performances.

While I wouldn't play any 90's as I don't see that as Retro, I am happy to share with all others.

A definite improvement on Week One - shows the Rage team does take note of Guestbook postings. 4 Countdowns, 3 of which are non-repeats for all of us including that Standby 1980 show of 70's studio peformances. If the Hitscene Episode is from 6th June 1970 then it will have this line-up

HS 49 A OPENING TITLES AEROPLANE & VS FESTIVAL FOOTAGE
HS 49 B MAX MERRITT & THE METEORS BEEN AWAY TOO LONG 1970 06-Jun-70 ABC
HS 49 C MAX MERRITT & THE METEORS INTERVIEW 1970 06-Jun-70 ABC
HS 49 D JOHNNY CHESTER IF ONLY I COULD LEAVE YOU 1970 06-Jun-70 ABC
HS 49 E JOHN FARRAR, OF THE STRANGERS INTERVIEW 1970 06-Jun-70 ABC
HS 49 F PAT CARROLL ALL KINDS OF EVERYTHING 1970 06-Jun-70 ABC
HS 49 G PAT CARROLL INTERVIEW 1970 06-Jun-70 ABC
HS 49 H JACKSON 5 I WANT YOU BACK 1970 06-Jun-70 ABC
HS 49 I DICK WILLIAMS RECORD REVIEW: FRANCOISE HARDY, VENTURES 1970 06-Jun-70 ABC
HS 49 J MAX MERRITT & THE METEORS LOUISIANNA ANNA 1970 06-Jun-70 ABC
HS 49 K FLYING CIRCUS I REMEMBER JO-ANNE 1970 06-Jun-70 ABC
HS 49 L SONNY CHARLES AND CHECKMATES LTD. BLACK PEARL 1970 06-Jun-70 NON ABC
HS 49 M DICK WILLIAMS SHOWS OFF THE CAR USED IN CHITTY CHITTY BANG BANG 1970 06-Jun-70 ABC

Overall - looks pretty good - and only musical highlights from Recovery which is the way it should be.

It must take them ages to edit down a full 3 hours of recovery into just the live performances. Why then do they put effort into doing that, when, as others have said, they could just waltz into the archives, grab an unaired Countdown episode off the shelf, and press play. They must reaaaaaaalllly love their 90s 'alternative' stuff - though we knew that already.

I've no doubt that probably by 2015 that we'll be seeing episodes of Triple J TV showing up in retro month, which will be even worse, as I didn't connect to the 00's at all.

ohnoitisnathan
I've no doubt that probably by 2015 that we'll be seeing episodes of Triple J TV showing up in retro month, which will be even worse, as I didn't connect to the 00's at all.

They will be able to say it was from over 10 years ago and is so very Retro. They will say look at how silly we looked in those hipster jeans, or muffin tops for most of them. I could have told them at the time they looked silly but why spoil their delusion.

The repeated Countdown from Nov 25 1979 (shown in 1997) wasn't from 14 years ago, it was only 14 months ago - you can't count the months Feb-Dec as they don't show Countdown.

I didn't connect with the 00's either nathan, or for that matter to the 90's, come to think of it I sort of disconnected around 1987. I know exactly what I did in 1977 or 1982 but if you threw 1995 or 2002 at me I would have trouble. To me the music connected me to the era and if I couldn't connect to the music I can't define the era. I would need to check a tax return to give me some clues - should really throw some of them out, who else would still have their 1987 tax return?

I enjoyed a lot of the new release stuff in the 90's and would often watch rage for hours but can't seem to define much to any year. The over ubiquitousness of hip hop these days where most songs fail to have a definable tune and all sound the same has blurred the whole 00's into one big mess - there's good stuff amongst it but it's not the good music that now defines an era, it's the irritating slop. As we are on a downward spiral one can only guess how bad the 10's will be.

In 1985 I would have been happy to listen to 30-35 songs in the top 40, and now 25 years later it would be lucky to be 5. In 1985 Brian Mannix asked where will we be in 50 Years, now halfway to that milestone I don't think that unavoidable destination will be anything to savour music wise. Apart from all that life is OK.

Most of this coming Saturday looks promising for me though I am disappointed like many on here about the "79 Countdown" with Marc Hunter as co-host, what's more is that he had left Dragon and Richard Lee took his place on vocals on the "Motor City Connection" song studio performance. While he did good for what he did with the band it just isn't classic Dragon without Marc Hunter out front. I would rather not of seen this show again. Those who haven't seen it already well there are some interesting things still to enjoy. For me "Countdown" was always great throughout the 70's and 80's it wouldn't matter what was on each week as the show had me well and truly hooked from the mid 70's or there about when I was still a small kid.

Very happy with the other selection of "Countdown" although I am still waiting and hoping that the 1981 ep with James Reyne as guest host that also has the lovely Debbie Byrne performance of "Tears" get's aired this summer. Not to mention a dozen or any we havent seen since they first went to air at the time.

As my main focus in Aus women of music will look forward to what I hope is a complete clip of "You" from Marcia Hines and will be good to see the Linda George studio performance of "Telephone Lines" when the shows air this Sunday morning. More that I can add to my collection on Aus women of music.

This is very exciting for me if this "Hitscene" ep is that date Jun 6, 1970 as have been searching for any Pat Carroll clips as they are most rare and with interview am hoping it's the one she did with Olivia Newton-John otherwise more than pleased to see her featured on her own. These days she is Pat Farrar wife of John Farrar who produced and wrote many of Olivia's hit songs throughout the 70's. Also will be good to see some early clip performances from Max Merritt & The Meteors.

@ Stephen... Did u watch the 1980 Countdown episode last week? It featured Hush with Bony Morony!

@ Guru... I totally agree. There is NOTHING to look forward to in music anymore. it's VILE! ... Anything that I DO like now is 80s influenced and new material from 80s bands.

Once this 80s Electronic revival ends there will be NOTHING but the 80s. The 10's are MORE than absolutely DEPRESSING!

> I didn't connect with the 00's either nathan, or
> for that matter to the 90's, come to think of it I
> sort of disconnected around 1987.

'87 was the first year I really got into music in a big way. I liked parts of the 90s musically - the good thing was (or so it seemed for me at the time) the diversity, e.g. both club music and grunge/'alternative' were popular around the same time, so you could pick & choose. Initially I started by following the charts, and definitely noticed a general decline in quality around '93 (awful year for music IMO), but then got into more 'underground'/less commercially-successful stuff which tied me over for a while longer. I think the point I truly switched off with 'new' music was in '99 - the onslaught of Britney and her ilk, plus the increasing ubiquity of 'r&b'/hip hop/'urban'/the US influence, and every second track being by 'Someone featuring someone'. Televised karaoke contests were the final nail in the coffin for me.

Oops, just read the rest of your post guru... Quite eerie we have virtually the same gripe about today's music.

> has blurred the whole 00's into one big mess -

I suppose the best (only?) good thing about music in the 00's was how easy it became to find anything you were after fairly easily. "When you can't find the music to get down and boogie, all you can do is step back in time" - I discovered a tonne of 80s (and to a lesser extent early 90s) tracks that I missed out on at the time because I was too 'young' or because they weren't big enough hits/hits at all, or weren't released in Australia.

> In 1985 I would have been happy to listen to 30-35
> songs in the top 40, and now 25 years later it
> would be lucky to be 5.

I think I would struggle finding 2 that I even know, let alone like.

We seem to be hitting a plataeu with Countdown repeats. I think we can expect no more than a dozen each January and perhaps three to four of these will have been shown before (this can be influenced by the odd obituary or arbitary theme perhaps like the Xmas one a couple of years ago).

RAGE seems to be on a mission to make retro season more eclectic and less Countdown orientated (hence the new symbol for the month). Maybe this isn't such a bad thing as long as the other material is just as good as Countdown (but lets face it is rarely is).

On the of the contrast between music in the 80s and music today I couldn't agree more. We were very lucky in the 80s and I often reflect on how I for one took it for granted that popular music would always be that strong (after all I only knew the 70s and 80s and of course one couldn't escape from the 60's then not even on radio or television). To me there was a gear change around 1987 (with the industry suddenly becoming more 'plastic' in my opinion), a noticable decline after 1989 and a virtual creative desert after 1996. Which doesn't mean that we don't get the odd good song around but they are very few and far between today.

Just goes to prove you never know how lucky you are at the time. Like most teens in the 80s, I just thought the good times would just go on forever but of course they never do!

Maybe i'm on the outer, but I love all music from from late 70's to today. I am always putting together discs of the current Top 50 songs. Yeah, I am over all the commercial 80's drivel (and have been for about 10 years) that has been flogged to death and am discovering more obscure 80's stuff to keep my passion for 80's music alive and well - like most of us. I guess that's why we love all that random rare stuff that features in Countdown episodes.

Jason, you must have been P I S S E D when you found out your sister didn't record the 25/11/79 episode while you were away - lol - I would have, for me back in the 90's Countdown was everything! It would still be the same today if rage didn't d i c k us around!

> Maybe i'm on the outer, but I love all music from
> from late 70's to today. I am always putting
> together discs of the current Top 50 songs.

I like a smidgeon of 00's/10's stuff, but it tends to not do well on the charts . I more or less gave up recording Rage's new releases some time in 1999, but started recording Friday night rage every so often from late 2009. I discovered that I would usually find a couple of tracks I liked each week, but it was often a lot of effort to find the new nuggets. However, since the watermark has been on the screen, I haven't recorded any Friday night's rage... I only keep stuff I particularly want/can't find anywhere else now; the bulk of it being old stuff.

> I am over all the commercial 80's drivel (and have
> been for about 10 years) that has been flogged to
> death

Yeah, you can only hear 'Girls Just Want To Have Fun'/'Our Lips Are Sealed'/'Never Gonna Give You Up' etc. so many times before it almost ruins them from overexposure. (Relatively more-)obscure 80s all the way!

Funnily enough - I never get sick of 'Our Lips Are Sealed'. Everytime it comes on it still sounds 'fresh' to me. I guess there are just some songs that you can listen to and listen to and never get sick of and then there are some that you're over after a few listens, but loved it the first time. I did read/hear somewhere that 'Our Lips...' was listed in the Top 500 best pop songs ever released - not sure what placing though?

Forgot to mention the 'Duff' sisters doing their cover in 2004 - BAD very BADD!

Michael
Jason, you must have been P I S S E D when you found out your sister didn't record the 25/11/79 episode while you were away - lol - I would have, for me back in the 90's Countdown was everything! It would still be the same today if rage didn't d i c k us around!

I would ring here every week and she said they were only playing 70s episodes and back then I would ONLY record 80s ones and 1979.

Little did I know that HEAPS of 1979's were played. So YES, I was rather bothered and upset about not having them.

Every other year in the 90s I was here in January with my video tapes all ready to go. I was even considering canceling my trip in January '97 for Countdown.

I was kind of lucky they were all 70s except 1 1983 which I have of course as if they were all 1991 to 1986 I would have MURDERED anyone who didn't record them for me!

And by the way Guru.

I have ALWAYS said this as well.

Music by 1987 started turning to CRAP!

1979 to 1986 are THE glory years of pop muzik for me. It was creative, it had energy, it was experimental, coulourful, dark and had contrast!

1987 started getting very processed and un interesting!

Sure, there are tracks I love from 1987 to 1990 BUT not in the same way that I love material from 1979 to 1986. The buzz and that EXTRA punch just disappeared unfortunately :-(

I guess manufactured pop raised it's ugly head in late '86 and for the rest of the 80's...and we owe a fair bit to Stock, Aitken & Waterman. But I think the UK scene in the late 80's was more interesting than the US and of course Oz music in the late 80's was still just as good.

Michael
I guess manufactured pop raised it's ugly head in late '86 and for the rest of the 80's...and we owe a fair bit to Stock, Aitken & Waterman. But I think the UK scene in the late 80's was more interesting than the US and of course Oz music in the late 80's was still just as good.

The reason I disconnected with music to some extent in 1987 was seen this morning in the Retro hour. They started with Marginal Era, Baltimora, Eric Carmen, Real Life (the 1989 version which seems to be the only Real Life clip they have but basically a copy of the 1983 song), Pet Shop Boys and Sade - which is brilliant.

Then we see some late 80's from Bros, New Kids On The Block and the progression towards hip hop.

It's all self explanatory, how can you connect to crap like that. I can't actually understand why so many people keep asking for Stock, Aitken & Waterman as they were largely responsible. Bananarama, Rick Astley, Jason Donovan, Kylie Minogue etc. There were about 5 good songs from them and they then just reworked the same sound over and over and I just got sick of the continuous bubble gum pop they poured out, well over 100 songs that all sound about the same. When we had great synth bands experimenting in the early to mid 80's it was sad to see this genre denigrate to that. Still I could listen to all 100+ of their tracks before I could sit through anything from hip hop, that is what killed music for me - tuneless angry poetry.

Re: rage retro 2 Programming (re: Japan)

Jason, in one of your earlier posts you were talking about how good it was that rage were playing some "Japan" clips. I really don't know all that much about them, but looking at the listing, can well remember "Rain on my parade" and used to like that track alot. Do you know if there is a compilation cd of their "best of" available anywhere? I checked the local JB Hifi today and they had nothing in stock and also looked on trusty old ebay to no-avail either?

There are many Best Of's out there at JB. And the DVD is at JB to!

Generally last night's programming was clearly better than last weeks.

While I found certain sections somewhat dull there was enough to keep me interested. The GTK segment on William Shakespeare was great to watch. It's interesting watching interviews from that era as everyone seems more honest with their answers compared to today's white-washed world.

But I'm definately holding out for some 82/83/84 Countdowns soon - it's time to ramp things up a notch and bring some life to Retro season.

It was interesting watching the GTK special, because WS was talking himself up, even though his career unknowning to him, was about to be flushed down the toilet later that year/next.

Sad how he ended up, but I suppose that can happen alot in the industry.