Welcome to my forum connected to countdownmemories.com

Discuss everything COUNTDOWN and beyond!

Countdown Episodes * 70s & 80s Australian Music Programs * Music Video * Molly
Trading *  Collecting * Archival Information * Record/CD releases and more .........

COUNTDOWN IS BACK THIS JANUARY, 2019 ...  ON rage !!!!!
Stay tuned below with regular Countdown full archival information for each Countdown episode rage shall be airing every Saturday throughout January ...

Countdownmemories.com forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
COUNTDOWN 10TH ANNIVERSARY "MESSING WITH"!

First of all...

Did anyone notice just before Pseudo Echo's performance of "Stranger In Me" through to the end of the Bob Hawke interview that the picture went into 16.9 mode and stretched DRAMATICALLY!

Another very CONCERNING issue is at the end of the 10th Anniversary rage replaced the original ending track "They Say It's Your Birthday" with Gavin talking over the top with Altered Images "Happy Birthday".

So now they are actually messing with original recordings!

rage are just getting very intrusive!

Also, how many times did they have to put upo the date for the 10th Anniversary? It seemed like it poped up on the screen every 7 minutes!

Thank goodness I have a copy I originally recorded in the 90s in it's TRUE ORIGINAL FORM!

Re: COUNTDOWN 10TH ANNIVERSARY "MESSING WITH"!

Hi Jason

Yes - I noticed as well. The problem with the Birthday is that the original was the Beatles - as we all know by now, they can no longer transmit anything audio or visual from that group without paying prohibitive licensing fees - hence the virtual embargo of recent times.

It is a relief that we have the 90's version untampered.

Jason "The Moderator"
First of all...

Did anyone notice just before Pseudo Echo's performance of "Stranger In Me" through to the end of the Bob Hawke interview that the picture went into 16.9 mode and stretched DRAMATICALLY!

Another very CONCERNING issue is at the end of the 10th Anniversary rage replaced the original ending track "They Say It's Your Birthday" with Gavin talking over the top with Altered Images "Happy Birthday".

So now they are actually messing with original recordings!

rage are just getting very intrusive!

Also, how many times did they have to put upo the date for the 10th Anniversary? It seemed like it poped up on the screen every 7 minutes!

Thank goodness I have a copy I originally recorded in the 90s in it's TRUE ORIGINAL FORM!

Not to mention the blue graffitti on the bottom RH corner - and it looks worse for B & W footage.

Since I already had this special I didn't bother watching it last night. But still it's terrible Rage replaced that Beatles song with another one.

If Rage knew they would have to go to the trouble of replacing that tune, why did they air this episode in the first place? Especially given it has already been shown 3 times before - doesn't make any sense.

Next week had better be a huge improvement. I note the advance programme guides have Rage starting at 12 midnight next week.....so hopefully there won't be any Recovery taking up the precious Retro time.

Hi Jason,

Yep, 16:9 stretching here too for a few minutes before it flicked back to 4:3 on that show.

Also noticed it froze twice for a second or two in the first five minutes - anyone else see that or did my reception go screwy?

YES Jason and not only those things you specified. I also noticed that the Real Life performance near the end of the show had a coule of glitches like it repeated the same word twice and ended rather abruptly which I don't recall in the 90's telecast. As for the watermark well that was hugely disappointing for me, I gave a glimmer of hope that they may just remove them for this programming but no, there it was from start to finish. Guess it was too much to hope for. Without us viewers for a show like this what do the powers that be at "Rage" have. Probably not a loyal viewing audience as like in the pass. So much wrong with commercial tv nowadays. Could go on .....

That's a bit disturbing hearing about a supposed cut to Real Life's performance. Hopefully Rage aren't editing Countdowns again like they did a few years ago with that 1981 Dave Mason hosted show.

Then again considering they replaced a Beatles tune at the end of it that wouldn't surprise me. Should one assume we're now seeing 're-imagined' Countdown episodes? I hope not!

Scott
YES Jason and not only those things you specified. I also noticed that the Real Life performance near the end of the show had a coule of glitches like it repeated the same word twice and ended rather abruptly which I don't recall in the 90's telecast.

Fear NOT about the ending of "Always" repeating like a jumped record. The track is actually recorded that way with the repeat "Always" 3 times.

All the rest I agree with!

Did you also notice that rage put the date up from 1984 on EVERY Performance on the 10th Anniversary?

Weird, the ABC have gone So copyright that it's scary. I am SOOOOOO SOOOOOO HAPPY that I have a complete copy of the 10th Anniversary I recorded way back in the 90s as it's logo free, 16.9 free during PSeudo Echo PLUS it has no 1984 date on any of the performances!

Those Block letters on 10th Anniversary was VILE!

I covered the terrible ABC1 Logo with a cut out of the COuntdown logo from a C.Down 1984 Mag!

I will be replacing the ABC1 Watermark with a COuntdown Watermark after January, let me tell you :-) rage!

Thanx Jason for the info as I wasn't sure whether it was from the broadcast or my digital box. Clever idea about the "Countdown" logo being added. Perhaps you should even suggest that to the "Rage" programmers as many of us probably prefer that in place of the ABC1 watermark if we have to at least have some type of logo. They can only say no at the end of the day. Like yourself the "10th Anniversary Show" was one I was fortunate enough to have also recorded back in the 80s as I knew Dragon, Berlin & Sharon O'Neill were on it cause I had originally watched the first telecast back in 1984.

I don't remember the widescreen on the Pseudo Echo performance clip either other than this morning's. That was a definite blunder on their part at "Rage". I notice now and again that it happens from time to time with even the latest clip releases. Here's hoping there isn't anymore of that this summer.

I too am not a fan of "Recovery" or "The 10.30 Slot" and I just personally don't believe it is yet retro enough to fit this type of programming schedule. However I pleasantly got a surprise when Vika & Linda Bull sang the cover song "Caution" on the show as I am always looking for any clips on Australian Women Of Music.

Jason "The Moderator"
Weird, the ABC have gone So copyright that it's scary. I am SOOOOOO SOOOOOO HAPPY that I have a complete copy of the 10th Anniversary I recorded way back in the 90s as it's logo free, 16.9 free during PSeudo Echo PLUS it has no 1984 date on any of the performances!

Hey Jason, is there any chance I can please get a copy of the original 10th anniversary show from you, the one on rage last night was really, really f*ck*d up. I can pay paypal if there are any costs to be covered, thanks. email me at radio2prfm (at) optusnet.com.au, and we hope we can sort something out.

Thanks

Thanks for the heads up. I recorded this episode, but haven't watched it yet. I don't think I will - straight in the bin I guess. Anyway, with the electrical storms here last night/this morning, the Foxtel signal probably f@#ked up the picture as well and pixelated all over the place.

Another "eagle eye" thing I picked up was that at the end when the credits are rolling, straight after Molly slaps that poor kid on the chest, they played "Happy Birthday" by Altered Images, instead of the Beatles "Happy Birthday" which is on the original show. That must have something to do with the "embargoing" of the Beatles material, but I thought that it had been lifted?

This is something I mentioned on my first post.

As I had the Foxtel IQ as well I changed the ratio to 16.9 on Pseudo Echo's performance of "Stranger In me" and it looks FABULOUS! ... Even the Watermark looks streched and more skinny...

Interesting

Sorry Jason, my bad. . I hadn't gone back to the first post on the topic, and should have done b4 doubling up a comment.