Welcome to my forum connected to countdownmemories.com

Discuss everything COUNTDOWN and beyond!

Countdown Episodes * 70s & 80s Australian Music Programs * Music Video * Molly
Trading *  Collecting * Archival Information * Record/CD releases and more .........

COUNTDOWN IS BACK THIS JANUARY, 2019 ...  ON rage !!!!!
Stay tuned below with regular Countdown full archival information for each Countdown episode rage shall be airing every Saturday throughout January ...

Countdownmemories.com forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
JAMES FEUD SUICIDES?!

James Freud has died today, he suicied today.

I AM IN SHOCK!

He was such a talented, charasmatic and genuine guy

He was SO lovely when I interviewed hima nd he even sent me a copy of his unreleased demo album with Gary Numan. I will treasure all the photo's, signatures and material he gave me forever.

R.I.P you LEGEND

Re: JAMES FEUD SUICIDES?!

Just heard the news, Jason - how very sad.
Used to love his song, "Modern Girl", when he was with the Radio Stars - he was so cute back then.
I remember first seeing him touring with Gary Numan way back in 1980,(I think)
What a terrible waste.

I was shocked when i read the news. I can't believe he committed suicide :(

That's very sad news indeed.

He seemed like a very genuine person and was certainly a dynamic performer in everything he did.

It's devastating when anyone dies like that - although his legacy lives on with his amazing music - which I'm sure is how he would like to be remembered.

I just read it on the news scroll on news 24. Took me a minute for it to sink in.

Barbados and so many other songs like it by the Models are an important part of the tapestry of my life. I'm sure I'm not alone on that count.

Saw him on the countdown reunion and while older, he seemed older of course than at his peak, but just as fantastic. What a tragedy to die so young with so much more to offer.

A huge loss to Australian music.That's all I can say for now.I'm totally stunned by this news.I wish it wasn't true.

I can't stop crying, I just feel sick about it...

For James and his family, it's just heartbreaking

He was THE nicest person I interviewed and we stayed in touch for awhile after that, he was so giving and beautifully genuine. Not many people like that. He had so much charisma and talent

That is just so tragic it leaves you numb and hollow feeling. Models were my favourite Australian band ever and even though it was primarily Sean's band, at the height of their success it was Sean and James out front producing some of the best Oz music ever.

RIP James

I read the news yesterday. I'm shocked and sad from this news.

Had to work a night shift last night and all I could think about was James passing away. I had one of his tunes in my head most of the night, the rather prophetic These Blues ballad.

I first got into Models when I heard I Hear Motion in late 1983. I knew of them before that but was probably a bit young for the Cut Lunch EP in 1981 to appreciate it, and didn't really get into that post punk/new wave/Oz rock sound until my early teens with bands such as Models, Flowers/Icehouse, INXS, Midnight Oil, Machinations etc, and then progressing to the more and more obscure.

For me though, it was the Models sound that stood out. The strong percussion/bass sound on their Pleasure Of Your Company album was brilliant, the whole album resonates with that same powerful sound with Sean on lead, James on bass, Barton on drums and Andrew on keys.

It was then that I decided to get their back catalogue which consisted of one of the most brilliant underrated albums I have ever heard, their debut AlphaBravoCharlie...from 1980 - it is stunning, their Cut Lunch 10" EP and the Local &/Or General LP.

When they released Big On Love late in 1984 I couldn't wait for the album, and although it took nearly a year to be released it didn't disappoint. They could have released 10 singles off that.

Their last album, Media, which they released around Christmas in 1986 was also full of great tracks and should have done better than it did. All the albums are now available on CD.

Unfortunately, being poor and living in the country, I never got to see them perform but I collected just about anything I could find on the band, including a number of tour posters. I have a single in a picture sleeve Owe You Nothing/Progressive Office Pools which was a free give away at their gigs in January 1980 and another free giveaway single Radio Controlled which came from fanzine.

Most of their singles from Local&/Or General to Oh Darling came with picture sleeves, the only one I don't have one for is No Shoulders No Head. 2 People Per Sq Km, was only released on 12" non-extended promo to radio stations and was not available to the public, I have 2 copies. Most of the B-Sides were not available on the albums so it made it just as important to get all the singles. Their 1982 single On/The Whole Story was just released by itself.

Fortunately they have released 2 compilation videos, The Early Years and Collection which are brilliant.

The 12" Extended version of Out Of Mind Out Of Sight is still, along with Geisha's Rainy Day, the best extended version I have ever heard of any song.

My fave Models songs:
1 Out Of Mind Out Of Sight 12" extended
2 I Hear Motion
3 2 People Per Sq Km
4 Big On Love
5 Barbados
6 Ringing Like A Bell
7 No Shoulders No Head
8 Kissing 'Round Corners
9 Let's Kiss
10 Cold Fever
11 King Of Kings
12 Hold On
13 Facing The North Pole In August
14 God Bless America
15 Evolution
16 Sooner In Heaven
17 Our Atmosphere
18 These Blues
19 Build It Up
20 Two Cabs To The Toucan
21 Unhappy
22 On
23 Happy Birthday IBM
24 I Had A Premonition
25 Bitter Years

RIP James, your memory will live on in the great music you helped to create, both with Models and your solo material.

My very favourite Models song is King Of Kings, even though James isn't featured here.
Really atmospheric, somewhat melancholic dreamy song -I love the clip where he's floating above the cliffs and ocean and Martin Luther King's speech transposed at the end.

Hold On means the most to me.It's one of many songs that'll always remind me of my first(unrequited)love.
I'll also cherish the night I saw the Models play Newcastle Workers 10 years ago.One of the best gigs I've ever been to,and the setlist I scored that night is equally cherished.

I came across the Models when they released their 'Cut Lunch' EP. I must have been the only one that liked them amongst my friends. Then 'Local &/or General' came out and i was hooked. It was weird how the track 'Unhappy' came out as a solo single for Mark Ferri. But my favourite album was 'The Pleasure of Your Company ' with tracks like 'God Bless America','79 AD','I Hear Motion','No Shoulders No Head'.The album still had the old alternative Models sound and a touch of the new sound that was to come. 'Out Of Mind Out Of Sight' Favourite tracks on this one are 'Big On Love' and 'Stormy Tonight'.The Last one'Media' has 'Let's Kiss' and 'Evolution'. It's a shame Kelly and Freud had such a run in with each other. But i don't think the Models would have lasted if Freud had not joind them. I just wished Andrew Duffy had stayed in the band, as i liked his experimental keyboard sound in the mix.

Before the Models there was 'Modern Girl' A Great Song which should have been an International Hit.
After the Models there was his solo album and the group 'BeatFish' with 'Wheels of Love'.

For me "The Pleasure Of Your Company" is my FAVOURITE Models album. EVERYTHING on that album is just GENIUS!
Everything on that album is my FAVOURITE !!!

"ON" is my FAVOURITE Models track period !!! The hard NEw Wave sound and arrangments not only musically but vocally are just spine chilling for me.
Totally AMAZING as is the video * LOVE IT *

As far as other singles * I Hear Motion, No Shoulders No Head, King Of Kings, Hold On and Big On Love... Of course there is more!

From James Freud I ADORE Automatic Crazy!!!!!!!!! SO FABULOUS *** Modern Girl and While We Worship Oxygen is so atmospheric and wonderfully dark.

When I first saw Models in 2000 they were just MAGICAL! ... I remember they started with "No Shoulders No head" and the percussion on that show was just MAGICAL!

James was so vibrant on stage and magical :-)

I alos saw James with Models 2 years ago with Zan doing backing vocals! Barbados was GREAT that night!

Though "Out Of Mind Out Of Sight" isn't one of my TOP FAv Models moments I do think that the 12"... is absolutely phenominal! The production on it is GREAT!

Beatfish was a BRILLIANT project and James diving into Dance Music was just superb. "Wheels Of Love" is such a beautiful track. And on this track like ALL tracks James sang on, he always had a very expressive voice no matter what the track was about +
+

I will NEVER get over his death just like Michael and Paul Hester...

Bless You James ... Not only were you extremley talented and a gifted musician and vocalist BUT most of all such a beautiful spirit and so genuine :-)

By the way, I DO apoligise for typing "FEUD" as the main heading on thos thread!... I was SOOOOOO very SHOCKED that I didn't even look at what I was typing properly! It's just a terrible, terrible, terrible shame he is gone :-(

I'm not a big enough Models fan to know, but a friend made this comment to me:

"I think James Freud only sings lead on one of the 3 Models songs they're playing :rollseyes:

Do they just not care anymore?"

I wouldn't be surprised!

MODERATOR:

rage is playing a tribute to James Freud on Saturday morning, to be followed next weekend by a full The Models mini-special on Saturday night.

CRAP! An ALL Models Special on rage with a Watermark!

I MUST say, phew..... For the fact that I have MODELS "THE EARLY YEARS" VHS! All in BRILLIANT condition with NO Logo's.... I do need a clean copy of "Hold On" though, rage with Logo will be the only way :-(

CRAP!

One thing I MUST say is that it SO annoys me that it takes James to die for rage to play a Models Special!!!

A Models special on rage should have been played MANY years ago to celebrate the FABULOUS band they are, it SUX!

Oh hell, that news sux bigtime.

I was a big models and Freud fan. I loved reading his AutoBio not long ago.

RIP James

Never to be forgotten!

I would have thought they might have included Modern Girl or Hurricane in James' tribute on Saturday morning, but it is short notice so I appreciate that they are playing 3 songs, and 3 of my favourites at that (I am starting to wonder whether someone from rage does occasionally check up on us here after those 3 songs, Nathan gets a response after mentioning not getting the promised footage and the Mod left a comment after John and myself had discussed the watermark and lack of action).

Perhaps Cold Fever, Barbados and Hold On would have been more appropriate as James wrote and does lead vocals on those. The Hold On clip uses footage from the 1987 Australian Made concert tour. Big On Love and I Hear Motion feature Sean.

When Ari Up of The Slits died last month they only played one clip.

"rage is playing a tribute to James Freud on Saturday morning, to be followed next weekend by a full The Models mini-special on Saturday night."

What is a full mini special? A full Models (as in Divinyls there is no "The" in front of Models) special would include at least 17 clips (including 4 pre Freud 1980-81 clips) plus James Freud & Teenage Radio Stars/Berlin + solo, Beatfish, Absent Friends etc - which surely couldn't be a mini special then as such.

Rage could show the episode of The Meldrum Tapes that was devoted to Models. I have an original copy plus a copy that was shown on VH1 a few years back.
shotlist: ONE HOUR MUSIC INTERVIEW PROGRAM IN WHICH MOLLY MELDRUM INTERVIEWS SELECTED MUSICIANS ABOUT THEIR CAREERS, INTERSPERSED WITH FILM CLIPS OF THEIR MUSIC. IN THIS EPISODE MELDRUM TALKS TO SEAN KELLY AND JAMES FREUD OF AUSTRALIAN BAND THE MODELS;2.50 OPENING TITLES;3.05 MCU EXT MELDRUM INTRODUCTION IN CENTRAL PARK, NEW YORK CITY;3.43 FILM CLIP THE MODELS 'TWO CABS TO THE TOUCAN';5.30 MCU EXT 2S IV KELLY AND FREUD RE FORMER MANAGER, ZI FREUD, ZI KELLY, 2S KELLY RE MUSICAL INFLUENCES, MCU FREUD RE TEENAGE RADIO STARS AND HIS EARLY DAYS IN MUSIC, KELLY RE BANDS AT SCHOOL, WRITING PARTNERSHIPS, EARLY MODELS' LINE UPS, RECORDING 'CUT LUNCH';10.20 FILM CLIP THE MODELS 'CUT LUNCH';11.07 MCU IV KELLY RE EDDIE RAYNOR PRODUCING 'ATLANTIC ROMANTIC' THE MODELS FIRST SINGLE WHICH WAS NEVER RELEASED, WE WERE TOTALLY CONFUSED ABOUT THE WHOLE RECORDING INDUSTRY;12.09 MCU IV FREUD RE BERLIN AND SYNTHESISER MUSIC LACKS PASSION, WORKING WITH GARY NUMAN, BEING A POP STAR, 'MODERN GIRL' WRITTEN TO ACHIEVE CHART SUCCESS AND WAS DISHONEST, LOST RESPECT FOR MYSELF, HATED THAT STYLE OF MUSIC;15.30 COUNTDOWN FILM CLIP JAMES FREUD AND BERLIN 'MODERN GIRL';18.36 MCU IV FREUD RE BREAK UP OF BERLIN AND THE AFTERMATH, TRIP TO LONDON, WANTED TO JOIN THE MODELS;19.30 MCU IV KELLY RE FREUD JOINS THE MODELS AFTER DEPARTURE OF MARK FERRIE, BAND IN A RUT, BARTON JOINS AS DRUMMER, MCU 2S KELLY RE NICK LAUNAY AS PRODUCER, CU KELLY RE LAUNAY, 2S KELLY RE 'PLEASURE OF YOUR COMPANY', FREUD RE 'PLEASURE OF YOUR COMPANY' AND 'GOD BLESS AMERICA', KELLY RE 'NO SHOULDERS NO HEAD';22.19 COUNTDOWN FILM CLIP 'NO SHOULDERS NO HEAD';25.47CU IV FREUD RE SOLO CAREER, SCARED BY SOLO CAREER WHICH HAD NO CREDIBILITY, WANTED TO ESTABLISH HIMSELF AS A MUSICIAN;26.23 CU IV KELLY RE RELEASING RECORDS AND FINDING A WIDER AUDIENENCE;27.18 CU IV FREUD RE AIMS OF 'I HEAR MOTION';27.50 FILM CLIP 'I HEAR MOTION';32.03 MCU 2S KELLY AND FREUD, CU IV KELLY RE VIDEOS, WORKING WITH LARRY WILLIAMS, WE'RE ASPIRING FILM MAKERS, MCU 2S KELLY AND FREUD;33.40 CU FREUD;33.49 MCU 2S IV KELLY RE 'GOD BLESS AMERICA' AND OPINION ABOUT AMERICA, I LOVE THIS COUNTRY;34.37 FILM CLIP 'GOD BLESS AMERICA' FEATURING KATE CEBERANO;38.16 MCU 2S IV FREUD RE 'BARBADOS', ZI FREUD RE SUCCESS AND THE NEW AUDIENCE WHO THINK THE MODELS BEGIN WITH THIS SONG;39.33 FILM CLIP 'BARBADOS' FEATURING JAMES VALENTINE;43.24 MCU IV FREUD RE 'OUT OF MIND OUT OF SIGHT';44.07 FILM CLIP 'OUT OF MIND OUT OF SIGHT';47.38 MCU 2S IV KELLY RE SHARING VOCALS, STEADINESS OF THE BAND, LINE UP CHANGES AFTER ANDREW DUFFIELD'S DEPARTURE;49.19 OS 2S IV ZI KELLY RE THEIR MUSIC AND SOUND, 'BIG ON LOVE', MCU FREUD RE RECORDING 'BIG ON LOVE';50.17 FILM CLIP 'BIG ON LOVE';53.58 MCU 2S IV FREUD RE 'BIG ON LOVE' ALBUM, STRAIN OF TOURING AND WRITING;54.45 FILM CLIP LIVE AT THE HIPPODROME 'LET'S FILL IT UP';56.30 MCU 2S IV KELLY RE PRESSURES OF SUCCESS, ZI KELLY RE NEW ALBUM, INSERT CU KELLY

Jason, the video The Early Years (released 1989) does only have 9 clips on it and rather interestingly includes Let's Kiss which was released in 1987. The Collection (1993) has the following 17 videos:
2 People Per Sq Km
Cut Lunch
Two Cabs To The Toucan
Local &/Or General
On
I Hear Motion
God Bless America
No Shoulders No Head
Barbados
Cold Fever
King Of Kings
Big On Love
Out Of Mind Out Of Sight
Evolution
Let's Kiss
Hold On
Oh Darling

Re: JAMES FREUD SUICIDES?!

Guru!

I never UNDERSTOOD why Let's Kiss was on "THE EARLY YEARS" but I LOVE that video compilation.

Watched it before

Guru,

Do you have the 1993 VHS????

OMG, I NEED IT

Jason
Yes I have got it. I also have James' solo single Hurricane shown on Rage back in 1989 as a new release, official clip of Modern Girl plus the 2 different live versions on Countdown. I even have Beatfish (James Freud/Martin Plaza) - Wheels Of Love but the audio is knackered as it keeps dropping out, crappy video tape. Also have Absent Friends (Sean Kelly/Wendy Matthews) - Hullabaloo which is sort of related.

Jason "The Moderator"
Guru!

I never UNDERSTOOD why Let's Kiss was on "THE EARLY YEARS" but I LOVE that video compilation.

Watched it before

The music clip for 'Unhappy' should have been on the "The Early Years".

Does anyone know what year this Models interview with James Freud and Sean Kelly that is from on this video? Is it a long interview with James?

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=300487676590&ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT

I seen his death in Channel 9 News and The 7PM Project on television two nights ago but I did seen him with Sean Kelly in The Countdown Spectalucar concert with my mum four years ago.
And also during the wake of his shocking death, when the Models are going to make and release an official DVD with all of the music videos, live performances, interviews and extra bits and pieces? He's should be interviewed if the band's record label are going to make it.

Jeff
The Meldrum Tapes episodes went to air in 1986 but did contain footage that Molly had put together over a period of about 2 years but hadn't used it on Countdown.

I recently picked up a copy of a Countdown Saturday Special (taped off TV) which is known as episode 442A and was a U2 special shown on November 17 1984. This was done in the same format as the Meldrum Tapes so it would appear that Molly had been toying with this idea for a few years.

The interview with James and Sean would have been late 1985 I would think, while they were doing their tour with I'm Talking.

I MUST find the footage of James Freud being interviewed by Molly from memory. James was going under the very New Romantic character "Gabriele" at that time, he looks just DIVINE!

What was that ABC 8 part special a few years ago, this featured this footage and LOTS of interviews with James. Can anyone help with the name?

it came out on DVD as well!!!!

It's "Love Is In The Air" ... Thought it was!

Just read my interview with James Freud and he confirmed it as I was reading it, anyone have it?

I recorded the James bits when it was on TV at the time, I want the official DVD!

Hey Jason I have the offical Love Is In the Air dvd if you want to arrange something.

I see that tonight's ARIA Awards are to have a special tribute to James Freud - have no idea in what form it will take, but it may be worth watching.

As for the ARIA Awards itself - can someone explain to me why the likes of Carmen Electra (a model) and some actor from an American TV show are presenting awards?

I thought the ARIA were supposed to be all about Aussie bands - having low-rent celebs who have nothing to do with Australian music seems somewhat bizarre - or am I being a killjoy??

"I see that tonight's ARIA Awards are to have a special tribute to James Freud - have no idea in what form it will take, but it may be worth watching."

Well, their so called "special tribute" to James was just Marcia Hines briefy mentioning his death and saying everyone was thinking of his friends and family. Then a pic of James was flashed up on the screen for around 4 seconds and Marcia announced the next award.
A pretty poor effort really.

The Channel 10 presentation of the Arias was predictably ghastly and tacky, with an overall inane and clueless bunch of presenters, besides Steve Kilbey, Marcia and the Chaser boys.
Of course Dylan bloody Lewis was there, as irritating as ever.
The whole thing had zero atmosphere and you couldn't hear half of what they were saying anyway - they should go back to having it inside and perhaps have Triple j people presenting.

Oh dear. I was just going by what I read - obviously it was all just hype.

Anything hosted by Dylan Lewis is bound to be horrible - the ARIA Awards have certainly lost their way over the last few years. Jimmy Barnes had a go at them in the papers a few days ago - maybe it's time for another awards system that truly represents the music industry??