Welcome to my forum connected to countdownmemories.com

Discuss everything COUNTDOWN and beyond!

Countdown Episodes * 70s & 80s Australian Music Programs * Music Video * Molly
Trading *  Collecting * Archival Information * Record/CD releases and more .........

COUNTDOWN IS BACK THIS JANUARY, 2019 ...  ON rage !!!!!
Stay tuned below with regular Countdown full archival information for each Countdown episode rage shall be airing every Saturday throughout January ...

Countdownmemories.com forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
What are we hoping for this January?

What are we hoping for this coming retro season on RAGE?

B-52s B-52s B-52s B-52s B-52s B-52s B-52s B-52s B-52s B-52s B-52s B-52s B-52s B-52s B-52s B-52s B-52s B-52s B-52s B-52s B-52s B-52s B-52s B-52s B-52s B-52s B-52s B-52s B-52s B-52s B-52s B-52s B-52s B-52s B-52s B-52s B-52s B-52s B-52s B-52s B-52s B-52s B-52s B-52s B-52s B-52s B-52s B-52s B-52s B-52s B-52s B-52s B-52s B-52s B-52s B-52s B-52s B-52s B-52s B-52s B-52s B-52s B-52s B-52s B-52s B-52s B-52s B-52s B-52s B-52s B-52s B-52s B-52s B-52s B-52s B-52s B-52s B-52s B-52s B-52s B-52s B-52s B-52s B-52s B-52s B-52s B-52s B-52s B-52s B-52s

Did I mention I like the B-52s? Did they ever host Countdown or was NO. 2246 their only appearance?

Re: What are we hoping for this January?

ANd this has probably already been discussed at some point in the distant past but on Troy Walter's fantastic missing episodes page he lists the episode first broadcast on 26 December 1976 (the second of a series of top 100 specials) as existing. Its also listed in the archives but I can't find any record of it having been repeated on RAGE. Am I wrong about that?

Troy also lists shows dated 02 January 1977 (the 3rd in the above series) and the 29 January 1978 (part of another Top 100 special) but they appear to just be insert only archival material. I can't find those having been shown on RAGE either. So by insert only material what does that mean? Sorry to sound a bit thick. Is that talkie material between clips or no talkie material and just clips?

Hey Kyron

Insert Only material means only the videos are played - without any of the talking bits in between.

None of those you've mentioned have aired on Rage - which I certainly wouldn't mind seeing if only to placate fans wanting to see 70's Countdowns.

What I'm hoping for this January is they show what I've asked for over the last few months - which given that only a few have actually requested certain shows - will be a very high chance.

I won't go on about it, but it's a little sad seeing so few asking for episodes as around this time the Rage forum is chockers with people asking for various stuff.

Never mind, I'm still looking forward to January anyway - at least there'll hopefully be something interesting to watch then - with or without the watermark!

Kyron
For B-52's there are live on Countdown clips for both Rock Lobster and Private Idaho. They were shown on different episodes but I believe they were filmed at the same time. Private Idaho is interesting in that they never made an official video for it so the Countdown version is actually the most official version made for that song. I think the same applies for Devo's Working In A Coalmine.

Like Patrick, I have made a few suggestions. They may have a better chance of getting through as so many are now boycotting Rage. Considering I collect Countdown in any form that I can find it in, including timecoded (which is far more annoying than the watermark) and clips off VH1 which are also plastered with logos and pop ups.

The watermark is a nuisance but not the end of the world for me, I couldn't stop watching Countdown just because of that. If watermarks were that annoying to me I wouldn't even be watching TV anymore as they are everywhere else as well. It is just a sad state that we live in now. What I wouldn't give for a time machine and video recorder back in the 1980's.

Guru,

The watermark is disappointing but I agree its not the end of the world. The RAGE symbol and the title of the clip has always come up anyway so its never really ever been a case of completely pure broadcasts of materials.

I still get very excited about retro month! I'm also hoping for some later Countdowns, particularly 85-87 which all coincided with my high school years.

I am hoping for NO ABC 1 Watermark in January, THAT IS ALL!

I ain't bothering with requests for the first time since the mid 90s!

NOT MUCH TO ASK FOR!

Yep Jason I think we should all stick together on the watermark issue.

No requests until watermark goes.

This is the biggest issue on RAGE at the moment and we really need people power to stop it.We need people to keep complaining about the watermark even if we only get generic replys.

We need to flood all sections of RAGES message boards with continual complaints about it.Complain in the Retro section etc etc and let them know that we dont want retro month if its watermarked

The watermark has ruined RAGE completely.Its up to us to fix it if we can.

Hi John, Jason

I have remained relatively silent on this whole watermark issue on Rage – as January draws a bit closer I think comment needs to be made concerning “Retro” month.

I have thought long and hard about the whole thing as I, like all of you, detest the watermark with a passion! It is a sad time for Rage – and as for those “scroll down” adverts – well – don’t get me started on those!!

I do not watch Rage at all except in January (and the very occasional special such as the Wild Card specials and the recent Soundtrack special) as most of it is the same drivel repeated over and over week after week – so of course the problem has not been one for me anyway so far.

I admire the passion with which everyone has made their points in the Rage guestbook – and boy has the issue dominated in recent times virtually overwriting everything else – thanks especially to John and Jason for the efforts you have made to keep on everyones case over there. I am sure they are all sick of you by now, but **** good luck to you – I will be the first to express my gratitude if you succeed in getting the watermark removed. I am sure all at the ABC are just hoping this issue goes away in time – but keep on their case!! Never let it rest.

From my personal point of view, I would rather have Countdown episodes we have not seen before with the blue graffiti than no Countdowns whatsoever. I know many of you will not agree with me. I do not really want to see Retro month taken over with drivel like Recovery in future. You would not believe the pleasure I had instantly wiping that Dylan-Lewis moron and that horrible show off my hard drive in seconds whilst jumping to the Countdowns of last Summer!!

I will be adding to Guru Bob’s request list in Rage – and hopefully a few get played in January. I know I will not be popular by adding a request list to Guru Bob’s given so many people obviously will not be. I just have a feeling that the ABC are not going to listen to the Watermark complaints anyway. It is corporate policy and I fear we are stuck with it. I believe the Rage team would have been pleading with the program directors but at the end of the day it would have fallen on deaf ears.

There are a large number of Rage viewers who watch all the new release material that still basically dominates the program. They have remained very silent on the whole issue - maybe they are used to watermarks. If I can get one month of retro programming, especially “Countdown”, even with the graffiti - then that is better than nothing at all.

We are all getting older – and at the end of the day, life is too short.

Hi Brett....Please read my comments in my posting about the watermark.It may be of interest.It should be up the top of the threads somewhere.

People are not watching the new clips or old clips.Its not just about retro month its much more than this.They have upset a wide range of people young and old.There is even a petition.

The RAGE team are urging people to keep complaining... I should know I have personally spoken to rage's receptionist

I agree with Brett, there is a younger audience who watch rage for the new releases and don't really care about the watermark - after all they pretty much watch rage and don't hit the record button. I think it's Gen X that love to record all the retro stuff without the watermark.

I think you will find if you check the RAGE site properly that YOUNG and older people are complaining about the watermark.(There is a widecross section of ages).

People that watch the show every Friday and Saturday are complaining not just RETRO older people.

Why there is even threads on the young persons sites eg facebook that have young people complaining about the watermark and how it has ruined RAGE.

Its not just about what people can record for their own selfish gains.Its about the quality of RAGE going down hill in general across all videos.Its a real disturbance to watch any music clip with a watermark.

And besides just because somebody is older does not mean he has a pipe and slippers and only watches 60's70's or 80's music.

Some of us older folks actually do like to keep up with todays music and I must say some of it is very good very good indeed

Generation i - now aged 1-15 (going through their musical magic years). My 12 year old is into heavy rock. He was previously into electronica. His room is messier than his face and the testosterome hangs in the air.

Generation y - now aged 16-29 (they are the target of virtually every media). They think the Foo Fighters are retro and that everybody has always had it so easy.

Generation x - now aged 30-45 (most of us I suspect). I'd don't know about you but my back hurts and the music is actaully getting a bit loud sometimes.

Baby Boomers - now aged 65-44 (suddenly got interested in the state of aged care during the last 5 years) Aging less than gracefully in my opinion and are convinced they invented everything from rock music to sex.

Nation Builders - now aged 66+ (their ranks now thinning dramatically). Greatest generation ever. They did invent rock music and never cease to amaze.

Talking about your generation?

Kyron im a Baby Boomer 50ish, if thats what you wanted to know...love different types of music depending on my mood from the classics to rock

Sure my back hurts too sometimes.I try to play Table Tennis and Indoor cricket.I try to keep fit.Yep some of the Music is loud but its always been loud if its been rock.

Love The Foo Fighters-the Pretender.Love some Cold play and Muse.

Always on the look out now for some new sounds to enjoy...love my music

Hi John,

I suppose was just outwardly reflecting in part on a comment by Glenn A Baker on a Beatles documentary. "They were young when we were young."

Not exactly. Lets have a look at some birth dates:

The Rolling Stones

Bill Whyman 1936
Ian Stewart 1938
Charlie Watts 1941
Brian Jones 1942
Mick Jagger 1943
Keith Richards 1943
Dick Taylor 1943

Even Ronnie Wood and Mick Taylor were born before 1950.

The Beatles

Ringo Starr 1940
John Lennon 1940
Sturart Sutcliffe 1940
Pete Best 1941
Paul McCartney 1942
George Harrison 1943

Even George was considered to be a child by the older members of the group after he joined.

Jimi Hendrix was born in 1942. He'd be 68 if he was alive to day!

What do all these historically important musicians have in common? Apart from the fact that they collectively their music normally forms the foundation of most rock collections, NONE of them are baby boomers, most are actually war babies or a bit older.

A lot of soldiers (my Grandfather for instance) didn't even get back to Oz before 1948. I've often though 1950 is a better start date for the boomers. Its meant to refer to the kids born during the boom (both economic and demographic) after the war.

And when was Mister Baker born? 1952! How much difference does a decade or more make? The older boomers are actually rather hip about it, but ask some of the younger ones (1956-65) on who are about 10 years older than me) and you would think it was 100 years!

The boomers were the kids when this generation was at their peak. The OLDER boomers ones were the ones screaming at them and buying their records but they did not create their magic.

And you don't have to be 50 to have a bad back. I'm 38 and I've got one myself that is work related (as well as being arthritic. diabetic and a number of other things!).

You're right that age shouldn't be a barrier to appreciating music. We all tend to grow up first with what our parents play after all... hang on... my parents were baby boomers... well go figure!!!

"JOHN"

And besides just because somebody is older does not mean he has a pipe and slippers and only watches 60's 70's or 80's music.

JASON:
I rather LOATH modern music. Only new music I like is synth pop 80s influenced stuff... I don't think rage should ahve the Watermark PERIOND.... BUT,,, I am mainly concerned about rage having the ABC12 Watermark on Sspecials like January with Countdown and Wild Card specials. 80s video's and Countdown's are FAR TO PRECIOUS and SPECIAL to have grafitti all over it. I also did NOT appreciate Mark Ronson's and Boy george's new video having grafitti on it last Friday night. Had to switch off....

Thats okay Jason each to his own but there is some good stuff around if you discard a lot of c r a p to get to it.

Keep pestering them about retro and no watermark.I personally hate it on everything but particularily on all classic clips and on the specials.

Kryon music is music and people enjoy what they want.Thats the great thing about music its so diverse.People like different types of music(sometimes depending on mood) and what ever they like gives them pleasure whether its country,rap,rock,folk,blues classical,old time etc

Musical enjoyment is universal and ageless and one of the only things remaining these days that can bond people together.

Just lets hope they dont F*** up retro month and any more specials .I love the old clips.....The 60's songs were so joyous and 70's stuff so much fun.

I agree with you John that there shouldn't be age limits on who can appreciate music. Most Countdown music is baby boomer material of some kind. That is true... but they did't invent it or produce the best. Younger Boomers on the other hand are arguably responsible for 90% of the best pop music during the new wave period. I think they are sometimes referred to as Generation 'Jones' as a definable sub-group (?)

I've just noticed that with a certain age bracket they insist that while they can appreciate current music, anyone younger has no claim to enjoy material technically before their time. If the same was applied to history then no one could write about anything earlier than 1900 - which is of course nonesense.

I'm probably one of the younger 'genuine' countdown viewers from when it was on air being a small child when it started but I grew up with 40s and 50s music from 78 rpm records because my parents were old enough to have them. Age is no guage to any depth of appreciation, of anything to be honest.

I also have to agree with Jason in his assessment that most current music is rubbish. More than 10 minutes of it on TV Hits or whatever and I'm looking for something sharp to end it all (just kidding).

Is it my imagination or has this thread gone completely off the original track?

I agree most of it is rubbish.But there is some good stuff.And to be honest there may be only a couple of songs I like from the whole RAGE show I would bother with.But then again the young people most likely think our music is rubbish....I think they call that the generation gap.

Anyway lets hope they get rid of the stain for retro

I think you were saying B52's for retro....

Well, Well... I put in 7 of my Countdown Episodes suggestions to rage tonight.

I haven't watched rage since the Watermark BUT I can't NOT watch Countdown. It's a no win situation really!

NOT watching Countdown in january is NOT possible and watching it with Watermark is painfull, either way i loose.

There ain't any other way to get FULL Countdown Episodes so Watermark it has to be. I wont watch rage anytime besides January from now on unless it goes.

It is November and usually my requests are in by September! ... Anyhow, I requested some I would really LOVE to have as part of my collection.

Hopefully it will be gone by January BUT I doubt it.

Unfortunately if rage play any RARE James Freud solo video's this weekend I will also have to record this weekend, ARGH!

What's an 80s lover to do???

Exactly right - what is an 80's fanatic to do?

Unfortunatley the watermark appears to be here to stay - even though I support everyone's efforts.

I've put in my requests a few times, I may send another reminder to Rage again - doesn't hurt to keep on at them!

As I've said - Rage is the ONLY place on Australian TV anywhere that shows complete Countdowns - so watermark or not if anyone wants to see a particular episode they'll have to grin and bear it and ask for their show to be played - it's a bit like being caught between a rock and a hard place really.......

I agree with John.If we dont join together about the watermark then the chances of it being removed are getting slimmer. Some people have signed petitions about the watermark and even ones banning rage entirely until the watermark is removed.If they now see that these same people that have signed these petitions are now requesting stuff,it reduces the impact of any these statements and complaints.

So keep protesting until it(the pox)goes.

Unfortunately I have come to the relisation that THE only way I am going to see more Countdown repeats is through rage!

It's crap that the Watermark is on rage now and it's TERRIBLE that only repeats on rage is the only way to see them again! Seriously, I have NOT watched rage like I used to since the Watermark has arrived but I will be in January. The Watermark will make COuntdown's sooooo much less enjoyable BUT I can't imagine myself going to bed and not watching in January!

After January I will go back to NOT watching rage and I will NOT make any suggestions for Wild Card Specials BUT with Countdown it's a TOTAL no win situation. Either way we loose :-(

I swore to NOT making any Countdown requests but as it's getting closer I figure I would like to see some of my requests before I eventually die!

John I think the term generation gap is more applicable when you can only see value in the fruit of your own generation and just dislike that of all others because its not 'yours'.

I was obsessed with the Beatles at 14 and really enjoyed popular music until about 1989 or so. I actually quite like Slim Dusty and a lot of the rock country fusion of the seventies like the Eagles or the Boogie rock of the Doobies. All very eclectic and not instantly definable as the music of someone born in the early seventies when it was probably mostly being written and recorded.

My aversion to the popular music of the post-countdown era has more to do with the quality of the product and despite flashes of brilliance (I think Valerie was the last great rock song in many ways for example), it's be very barren for the last two decades or so. Kurt and Dave were the last time pop was reinvented with any real credibilty IMO.

Once again you're forgetting I'm a Dad with a teenage boy of my own. He's two social generations removed from me (remember? Boomers, X, Y, I?) The issue of generations is hardly something new to me. I can see the art in Daft Punk but I'm afraid Dragonforce is overdue for a flush down the toilet and is just noise. Its something indefinable and probably subjective but often its quite obvious when material can be marked out as worthwhile even if its not quite your thing.

This is one of the reasons I get so excited about retro month as its one of the only times one gets to hear and see material that really matters and (as long as we don't get wiped out somehow) will stand the test of time.

I'll probably get booed for this but how about some more later Countdown material this year?

What about some more episodes of the Countdown Revolution? Some 1987 eps (despite the pirate TV motiff!)?

Lets not forget some of teh more obscure non-Countdown material like Flashez or Music Around us?

But please Aunty spare us the Dylan Lewis material! I actually quite like him but the music is so bland!

Kyron
I'll probably get booed for this but how about some more later Countdown material this year?

What about some more episodes of the Countdown Revolution? Some 1987 eps (despite the pirate TV motiff!)?

Oh dear no... 1 or 2 later Couhntdown episodes from 1987would eb all I could stand. If rage played 5 or so Episodes from 1987 I would be bored
s h i t l e s s ...

Lot's of 1981 to 1985 PLEASE!

While most of my requests this time have been from the 82/83 era, I have asked for the 16/4/87 ep to be aired as well - which is unusual for me.

It's listed as having Molly host from the Underground Disco and interviewing some of the clubbers there.

Sounds like it could be reasonably watch-able for a 1987 episode - although only after they air one from the early 80's thanks!

Jason "The Moderator"

I swore to NOT making any Countdown requests but as it's getting closer I figure I would like to see some of my requests before I eventually die![/quote

MMMMMM.Thats like I protest about horse racing but still bet on the Melbourne Cup

Kyron I think my mention of generation gap in my last short post was something meant like a generalisation of a stereotype and the applicableness of your definition applies to my meaning in this case.

I dont like using stereotype groupings.... as anybody can enjoy anything from any era, decade or year they like.Sure there are these groupings that show some typical behaviour patterns but its not always this cut and dry.

I thought you said that this thread was getting off topic.

If you want to talk about the music you like start another thread.

Rock on Retro month without the watermark

John
Kyron I think my mention of generation gap in my last short post was something meant like a generalisation of a stereotype and the applicableness of your definition applies to my meaning in this case.

I dont like using stereotype groupings.... as anybody can enjoy anything from any era, decade or year they like.Sure there are these groupings that show some typical behaviour patterns but its not always this cut and dry.

I thought you said that this thread was getting off topic.

If you want to talk about the music you like start another thread.

Rock on Retro month without the watermark

Academic constructs are clumsy but often effective attempts to make sense of a complex world. I find people who want to deny the significance of such things normally do because it forces them to properly acknowledge their actual place in the scheme of things - which in reality becomes less and less relevant as time goes on. It's sad but I've had a lot to do with older people in my last two decades of working life and they would almost universally agree with me I think.

I find it rather amusing as I associate Baby Boomers with making supposedly profound grand pronouncements, assuming anyone younger even by a few years is an empty vessel and being over assertive (like telling the actual originator of a thread to go and start another).

In an organic sense it might not actually be too far off topic anyway (which I set and I refuse to be sent to my room). Often, I've observed what we want to see is in part determined by our age groupings. Music contemportary with High school years seems to be a significant period for a lot of people. Unless of course one has a set interest in a particular band or trend.

I await what will in typical generational fashion be a reflection of the need to appear both profound and assertive by getting in the last word...

Kyron

Your funny...

Do you ever re- read any of your posts?..Amongst other things ...you suggested we were off topic not me. (I thought if you wanted to talk about music you liked then start another thread and I will talk on that one.)What a pretentious load of non succinct, illogical or occassionally psuedo profound nonsense you sprout.People are people.. yes they may come from a certain generation that gives them identity but they are certainly all individuals.

Kyron your funny

Kyron I thought I better make it clear so you understand because you are quite annoying.... is that most of this time you have simply been argueing with yourself.I do agree but also dont agree with some of your points but did not feel the need to nit-pick on this forum.But seeing that you have now chosen to once again cast your pseudo profound stereotyped opinion about Baby Boomers attitude(Aimed at me) and have chosen to be rude to me, I feel I should respond. But I still cannot be bothered to argue with some of your points.As what I was saying originally was just a simple friendly statement about musical enjoyment. Did you read my posts and actually understand what I wrote?I mean really?

Kyron
As you are hoping for some B-52's you may want to watch Sountrack To My Life (ABC2) tonight as they are featured. It has been shown a few times I think but not sure if you have seen it.
Cheers
guru

Thanks Guru,

I missed your tip but saw it by accident!I didn't get to tape it but perhaps we can talk sometime...;)

Talking about favourites, did XTC ever host Countdown or make a live appearance?

I have a vague memory of them dressed in Sgt Pepper gear singing 'General and Majors'... or did I dream it????

Kyron
I will do you a copy of B-52's Soundtrack To My Life over the summer holidays if you are interested.

XTC were quite popular in Australia in the late 70's and early 80's post punk/new wave period. They appeared live on Countdown twice while touring here but did not host. They appeared on the following episodes:

July 22 1979 (shown on Rage January 23 this year) performing Life Begins At The Hop live.

September 28 1980 performing Generals & Majors live. That episode has not been shown on Rage but the clip does appear on Wonder Years 2 and was also shown on VH1 when they showed live Countdown performances.

I also have an episode of Nightmoves with XTC performing live at Festival Hall September 6 1980. It runs for about an hour but as I sourced it from the US where it was shown on MTV it doesn't have the Nightmoves intro or graphics, but fortunately being early MTV it didn't have any of their logos on it either. The same goes for a Mi-Sex concert for Nightmoves that I have where they perform all the tracks off the Space Race album.

Hi Guru,

I must have seen the clip on my copy of the Wonder Years. I probably didn't see it when it was originally on as I didn't start watching Countdown every week until about 1983 at about the age of 10.

But I digress!!! They were bloody great. My favourite: 'Are You Recieving me?'

I wonder will the word bloody get through the filter?

Cheers.

@Kyron and Bob

Hi Kyron

I have put onto a DVD a copy of a XTC - Are You Receiving Me as well as B-52's - Dance This Mess Around and Rock Lobster, both on Saturday Night Live back on 26/1/1980. As well as B-52's Time Capsule DVD.

XTC's clip is from a Laser Disc Rip and is completely clean of logos. I hope these are ok.

Guru don't worry, these are already on your DVD's and will be on their way very shortly to you both.

Lee
Sounds like I will have some great watching to do over the holidays if Retro start playing 10:30 Slot and Recovery.

I presume you got the Real Life and Venetians DVDs I sent over a few weeks back.