Welcome to my forum connected to countdownmemories.com

Discuss everything COUNTDOWN and beyond!

Countdown Episodes * 70s & 80s Australian Music Programs * Music Video * Molly
Trading *  Collecting * Archival Information * Record/CD releases and more .........

COUNTDOWN IS BACK THIS JANUARY, 2019 ...  ON rage !!!!!
Stay tuned below with regular Countdown full archival information for each Countdown episode rage shall be airing every Saturday throughout January ...

Countdownmemories.com forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
SWEET AND SOUR LINK !

From the ABC Website!

http://shop.abc.net.au/browse/product.asp?productid=312910

Re: SWEET AND SOUR LINK !

I have been watching that message for a while now and am surprised that all the fuss is over the CD and then at the bottom they add "Released in conjunction with DVD".

To me the DVD is the big item as that was never previously available. I hope that it will actually be released on Sept 17 and not have any further delays.

It'll be great to see the DVD finally - although I hope it includes the original soundtrack on it as it was a major part of the show's success.

I hope they do a small launch for it with some of the original cast there to promote it. I'd love to see some extras on the DVD as well if possible - although I know a bare bones release is better than nothing.

I am not to fused over the cvd compared to the DVD.

THe DVD is what I REALLY am excited over!

I hope ALL the Episodes are there!

And I also hope the Glam to Wham and Sweet and Sour video's are ALSO added!

The DVD is all i care about as well don't really care much about the Cd to be honest although it'd be nice to have.

Just checked out the link. Looking at the 'extended' tracklisting, does the CD combine both the Sweet & Sour records?

OMG!

Available 17th September which is next Friday!

So will it actually be in the ABC Shops next Friday?!

It better **** well be!!!

The only thing I don't like is the way it is being advertised as a CD release. The DVD bit is being mentioned but it almost sounds as if it is only the CD for the time being and possibly no DVD or a later release of the DVD.

I hope they get their act together at the ABC soon. After introducing that abomination of a skid mark on Rage they had better get it right with the DVD.

I am worried as well.

I HOPE it's not the cd with some promo video's on the DVD!

I want the WHOLE SERIES :-(

I went to ABC Store today and they told me it is deleted in the computer BUT on the ABC Website Shop it should be cool.

I couldn't care less about the CD compared to the DVD!!!!

Ugh! I'll be seriously annoyed if it's just the Cd

Soundtrack-picked it up at JB today
DVD-just contacted my nearest ABC Shop and were clueless about both the show and a release date.No luck with JB either.

HANG ON!

WHy does it say on the ABC Website cd in conjunction
with DVD?

I am SO sick and tired of company's claiming one thins and then when you buy it. it's a whole different product!

I H A T E THE F U C K I N G ABC lately, I was so looking forward to the whole series of
"Sweet And Sour". THIS S U C K S ! ! !

The final word on "Sweet & Sour" - there will be no DVD release as ABC do not hold copyright for selling the material. I am not sure why they stated on the website about a DVD - maybe they planned it until such a stage they found due to licensing restrictions they could not issue it after all. Another DVD project killed by licensing issues!!

"Due to copyright restrictions this program is unavailable for sale as it was produced on a broadcast only basis; thus restricting ABC Commercial from selling the material. There are no plans to re-broadcast this program"

The thing that is really frustrating is that they now have 4 channels of watermarked drivel with not one ounce devoted to any sort of archive or retro programming. Once a person turns 30 in TV viewing world they may as well be dead given the standards of the TV networks - hello - anybody out there????

geeez,

This year is cruel, I LOATH 2010 and the 00's!

NO "Sweet and Sour" DVD after the ABC getting our hopes up!

rage now has a Watermark so NO Countdown for me next January

I may as well kill myself!

Wikipedia have that thing that says the series won't come out on DVD,but in the Glenn A Baker liner notes in the CD booklet,there's this-
"The shows themselves were not,until now,considered for video or DVD release".Hmm....a small glimmer of hope?
Jason-don't kill yourself.This website would suffer without ya!

How could the ABC not have the licencing for Sweet & Sour? They commissioned the show with all original material and released the soundtrack through ABC Records.

Who could possibly have any rights to stop this. If someone had any rights then surely they would make a percentage of returns from sales. If it just sits in the ABC vaults no one makes anything. Not releasing it just does not make any sense.

It all seems very strange.

Surely the ABC must know it would be a good revenue raiser to release the DVD?

I think that's correct re: the copyright issue. If the ABC commissioned the show and had a direct input in the music, etc, then why wouldn't it have a specific right to release it? Why release a CD of all of the songs and not the DVD?

It's possible the actors involved get a certain percentage given they sang on the original soundtrack - maybe this is why the DVD has gone AWOL?

Whatever the case, I can see no reason for them not to at least repeat it - I know it was repeated at least once back in the late 80's.

The ABC seems to be in a flux at the moment - sadly it's their loyal viewers and potential DVD buyers who are missing out big time.

Seriously,seriously annoying! They get our hopes up to finally see the series on DVD then ...zippo just a Cd.

As for repeating it..firstly are they able to? If they are why not air it during retro month? Just ditch all the Recovery rubbish and perhaps a few Rock Arenas and it would fit in nicely.

start requesting on the rage forum for all/some of the series to be shown in January and how the ABC have lead us up the garden path and we deserve recognition of their stuff up (lol, but very true). I'm sure we could bear the watermark on this show if we can't handle seeing it on video clips.

In light of being conned again by the ABC, maybe the front cover should read...
"Soundtrack From The Cult ABC TV Series The ABC Led Us Into Believing Was Finally Being Released On DVD"
Sue them for false advertising,I say!

Hi Guys

I wrote to the ABC (or emailed them anyway) and this was their response

Hi Lee - we are glad to hear that you are enjoying the Sweet and Sour Soundtrack! The DVD for the series was originally intended to be released around this time - sadly due to the extensive music used throughout the show, the DVD distributors were unable to gain music clearance rights for the DVD release and it has been postponed indefinitely :(

So I am hoping that they are still trying to get it released. Let's hope anyway

Lee
Hi Guys

I wrote to the ABC (or emailed them anyway) and this was their response

Hi Lee - we are glad to hear that you are enjoying the Sweet and Sour Soundtrack! The DVD for the series was originally intended to be released around this time - sadly due to the extensive music used throughout the show, the DVD distributors were unable to gain music clearance rights for the DVD release and it has been postponed indefinitely :(

So I am hoping that they are still trying to get it released. Let's hope anyway

Hopefully the CD sales will help the DVD to be released. It's stupid to have the soundtrack, but not the series.

If anything has copyright on it, then it is the music. If they can put out the CD, which is the music soundtrack, then what is holding back the DVD?

Surely the ABC control the visual content of a series they commissioned.

I don't think it will ever get off the ground. If it was one of the commercial stations we would already have it as it is run by entrepreneurs, which isn't always a good thing, but in this case would have gotten a product to its audience.

No reason they can't rescreen S&S on ABC 2 though.
If you want to see it again, try requesting it through their "Contact Us" form on the ABC home page.

I have requested a couple of shows in the past like this and to my surprise , they were actually aired on ABC 2 not long after I asked for them...

Just got an email back from the ABC telling me,ahem,the series will NEVER be released on DVD due to music clearance matters and this decision won't change.Excuse me while I go and scream my t i t s off!

A short pause from screaming.Is this a good idea-a nationwide fundraiser to sort out the music clearance costs in order to get the series out on DVD?
Where were we....

More porky's from the ABC-got an email from them this afternoon saying they never put any info up on their website about the series coming out on DVD.

There has always been this strange copyright dilema between CD's and DVD's. Grease took a long time to be released on DVD because of music copyright problems. The DVD version of the movie 'Love at first bite' is missing it's famous song 'I love the nightlife', because the they wanted more money. Is what's stopping the DVD release of 'Sweet and Sour' the music on the CD or the source music in the show itself or the series TV score.

My guess is the non-soundtrack songs are keeping the series from being released on DVD

Really hope that ABC2 or 3 will air Sweet & Sour but not holding out much hope. I put in the suggestion to them about 2 months ago but have not heard back. I mention it on the Rage Messageboard every now and again but that also hits dead ends.

Saw the clip Takeaways - Too Hot To Move on YouTube, that's one I don't have.

I have got about 7 or 8 clips from the series totaling around 20-25 minutes, including the following:

Intro from episode 12.

Darrell singing at their first gig, the birthday party in the rain, I think it's called I Don't Mean To B*itch but I have no idea.

Heart Plays Tricks which is set in the poker machine/bowling club venue. I was given this copy once and passed it on to Scott (who used to be on this forum) and he has uploaded it.

Takeaways performing Moon And Stars, Sweet, Glam To Wham, No Focus, Party On Wheels, Glam To Wham (fashion show version) and some other song I can't identify.

Dead Lions (the heavy rock band that Takeaways are invited to join as the support act - Carol was interested in the lead singer) performing Psychosis.

A couple of snippets mainly involving George but I don't know which episodes any of them are from.

Does anyone have any other footage of the show?

Nothing to do with the link or any updates on this, but I thought I would add to the topic here rather than creating a new post...

I was listening to the soundtrack again today and still can't believe this show lies dormant in the archives - it is a part of pop culture and they always refer to it as a cult tv show..... I was thinking, while listening to the CD, wouldn't it be funny if a group of us just hung outside the ABC and played this CD non stop, even for days, until they finally got the picture, gave in and showed the series again. Jason, if the protest was to go ahead at the ABC regarding the ABC1 watermark on rage, we could have had this playing in the background - just as loud of course.

Why don't rage for next January, get the cast together to be guest programmers and play some (if not all) episodes. They could give a bit of info on each episode and tell some stories about certain scenes coming up - just like any GP.

I am TOTALLY into a protest at the ABC for all these reasons and a Sweet & Sour one would be FAB!

I am ready but I need back up from you guys confirming you will join me!!!