Welcome to my forum connected to countdownmemories.com

Discuss everything COUNTDOWN and beyond!

Countdown Episodes * 70s & 80s Australian Music Programs * Music Video * Molly
Trading *  Collecting * Archival Information * Record/CD releases and more .........

COUNTDOWN IS BACK THIS JANUARY, 2019 ...  ON rage !!!!!
Stay tuned below with regular Countdown full archival information for each Countdown episode rage shall be airing every Saturday throughout January ...

Countdownmemories.com forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
PHILLIP MICHAEL THOMAS The Way I Planned It

Animal Collective are playing Phillip Michael Thomas from Miami Vice this Saturday night. The video and track is SOOOOOOOOOO 1985!... They are playing some more vintage less seen 80s video's which is good.

Also some things which we see all to much, but overall. Should be an interesting night this Saturday!

Re: PHILLIP MICHAEL THOMAS The Way I Planned It

Just had a look at it on YouTube, looks like an 80's rarity - I'd never seen it before - and again I am surprised that they should have this in their archives but no a-ha - The Sun Always Shines On TV.

Would be very interesting to find out what is in their list of 30,000 clips that they have.

I find that really bizare that Rage would still have that in their vaults and yet clips which are readily available elsewhere aren't in it.

So one would take it that the 2 songs from Don Johnson exist as well and maybe a few from Bruce Willis when he attempted to assault the airwaves?

Maybe whoever threw the rest of the great pop videos out was a Miami Vice fan??

I'm still waiting for them to play Eddie Murphy with Party All the Time though - now that really is Wildcard material!

I'm amazed they still have Black Box's 'Everybody Everybody' video. It was only a minor hit here (#35) - I would have assumed they kept 'Ride On Time' and threw the rest out. I wonder though which version of Everybody Everybody it will be - the European version (Katrin running through a field in yellow) or the remixed US vesion, as I remember seeing that on Rage once in the early hours of mid 1990 just before the top 50. Funnier still if they play the European version, as Animal Collective are American and will probably think Rage are playing the US remix.

Phil Collins 'Take Me Home' is another surprise to see on Rage.

Patrick, I've got a copy of Eddie Murphy's "Party All the Time", but it's in NTSC. It's a VHS source transfer from an official US club play DVD, but it segues into other videos during the first and last few seconds.

Watching season 1 of Miami Vice last night - haven't seen it in decades - and it's still a highly entertaining show. The clothes,the music,everything about it screams 80's.

THANK GOODNESS for ANIMAL COLLECTIVE!

This clip and track is a complete RARITY!

I am SO glad I have it!

rage played the 2nd video for Black Box's "Everybody, Everybody"

Was cool to see it, one of their BEST tracks. Much better than RIde On Time!

Black Box were a great Euro Pop group, as were Technotronic.

I've often wondered whether the Italo House Mix by Rococo was manufactured by either of those two groups and whether Numero Uno by Starlight had any connection with them as well.

As for Miami Vice - that was a ground breaking show with many famous celebs appearing in it - I think Boy George was in one episode. The phrase 'MTV Cops' was a perfect description of this fine series.

I'm glad the DVD releases have kept the original music - which I'm sure must have cost the producers the earth to obtain, but it was certainly worth it.

I'm still shocked that Rage had the Phillip Michael Thomas clip but I'm not complaining - may they unearth many other rare clips in their vaults!

According to Wikipedia the guys behind Black Box were indeed responsible for Numero Uno.

Rococo's 'Italo House Mix' was separate to the team behind Black Box/Starlight. Rococo were twin sisters Eve & Elaine, I think from the UK; their picture appears in scenes in the video. Interestingly the song wasn't a hit in the UK (#54).

That US version of Black Box's 'Everybody, Everybody' was ****e. It looked really camp and the singer looked like a bloke. The euro version is the best and the one I'm familiar with and 'Fantasy' is their best single. I respected Black Box as an artist after I heard Fantasy, it showed they were more than just a euro dance band - hence the album 'Dreamland' going to No.1 in March/April 1991 on the strength of this song.

Technotronic were pretty cool back in 1990 and 'Felly' with the 'blue lips' and we all were led to believe that 'Felly' sang 'Pump Up The Jam', but it was Ya Kid K. OK, I'm sounding like a bit 'sad' here.... back to 2010.

Black Box had trouble with the true singer being revealed too. Martha Wash (Weather Girls) originally sang most of the songs on the album. I think she sued them and C&C Music Factory to get vocal credits.

Ah 1990 good times!

Never was a fan of Black Box but was into Technotronic- "This Beat Is Technotronic" is a classic.

Well there were rumours that the Black Box "singer", Katrin Quinol, was a transsexual. I too preferred the Euro version/video for Everybody Everybody, though I suppose it was nice to get a good copy of the US one.

I also heard too, back in 1990, that the 49ers 'Touch Me' was a bit of a rip off too. The woman singing the song wasn't actually singing it. The group apparently ripped off Aretha Franklin's vocals. Not sure if Aretha gave permission ???

Yes, the 49ers "singer" was miming. Another Italo Dance project with nonsensical lyrics fronted by a lip-synching model. From memory 'Touch Me' samples Aretha Franklin's 'Rock-A-Lott' and something else. The chorus voice is clearly different to Aretha's lines in the verses.

The follow up, "Don't You Love Me" sampled Jody Watley and someone else.

It's always a dead give-a-way when the "singer" can barely speak a word of English. I remember the Black Box "singer" needing an interpreter for interviews, and Milli Vanilli experienced difficulties conversing in English (e.g. I remember in a Smash Hits interview Fab saying his favourite vegetable was "mice" [maize?]). If I remember correctly, the 49ers "singer" (Dawn somebody) also needed an interpreter or had a minimal grasp on English.