Welcome to my forum connected to countdownmemories.com

Discuss everything COUNTDOWN and beyond!

Countdown Episodes * 70s & 80s Australian Music Programs * Music Video * Molly
Trading *  Collecting * Archival Information * Record/CD releases and more .........

COUNTDOWN IS BACK THIS JANUARY, 2019 ...  ON rage !!!!!
Stay tuned below with regular Countdown full archival information for each Countdown episode rage shall be airing every Saturday throughout January ...

Countdownmemories.com forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Win a chance to guest program Rage May 1 2010 for 1 hour

Rage have posted the following message which seems to indicate that someone will get the chance to GP Rage for 1 hour if I have read it correctly:

EVER played six degrees of
separation with bands? We're
testing your skills to see if you're
enough of a music nerd to program
an hour of rage!
rage is running a competition
called 'Six Degrees Of Sepa-rage'.
On April 10, every video played
will be connected to the one before
it - the bands will have shared the
stage, their members, the same
songs or even their DNA.
The playlist will be published
on the rage website on April 2,
with every sixth clip missing and
replaced by a clue. Your job will
be to decipher the clues and figure
out as many of the missing videos
as you can. Get your entry in by
April 9, let us know what you would
playlist, and you could be holding
the rage reins on May 1!

If you get stuck on any clues just put in Nick Cave, it's probably the answer to every clue. Seriously though I imagine rage will be inundated with entries but it would be cool if a member of this forum happened to get there. At least we will find out what rage do still have in their archives. I suspect the clues will be more modern and I will resort to a little googling.

Re: Win a chance to guest program Rage May 1 2010 for 1 hour

LOL, I was going to say... there's *bound* to be some Nick Cave in the playlist.

> "let us know what you would playlist"

Ah, so there's the catch. Presumably Rage are also going to choose the winner based on how much they 'like' the winner's playlist.

i.e. say you'd program 3 hours of Nick Cave, and you're in!

Well, if you do work it out, slip in 2 Nick Cave, 1 Bjork, some Hilltop Hoods and a j tv live clip and you are halfway there. I am guessing that 15 songs get played in 1 hour so play into their hands by picking what they would want to play and then just add a handful of what you actually want.

If you make a brilliant list then it will get nowhere as that will be rejected as being too hard for them.

You can tell why they are playing a Bjork special as they have played Possibly Maybe (27/2), Play Dead (20/2), Hyperballad (6+20/2), Human Behaviour (13/2) and It's Oh So Quiet (13/2) all in the last month. It's easier than packing all the tapes away again and getting others out.

"You can tell why they are playing a Bjork special as they have played Possibly Maybe (27/2), Play Dead (20/2), Hyperballad (6+20/2), Human Behaviour (13/2) and It's Oh So Quiet (13/2) all in the last month. It's easier than packing all the tapes away again and getting others out."

Yes, it really does seem to be the case these days, guru!
The more accessible the better! So much less work and hassle...

I don't understand this whole thing.

What exactly are rage doing,,, I am LOST here!

What exactly does the viewer have to do??????

Does this have to do with Bjork????

Jason, each consecutive clip is going to have something to do with the one before - e.g. both bands share a common member, or are related in some way, etc.

When rage publish the playlist for the night, they're going to leave every 6th video on the list as blank, with some clues as to what it may be.

Your job is to guess what the missing videos are. Presumably, the person/people with the most correct guesses (and/or the most Nick Cave & Bjork on their desired playlist) gets a chance at programming rage for the night of May 1. It seems like you also need to submit a list of the videos you'd program (my argument is, how can you do this without seeing what is/isn't in their library first?) with your entry.

As for Bjork... she has great videos (or at least did until a few albums ago) - BUT, you can buy ALL of her music videos up to and including It's In Our Hands) on easily-obtained DVDs! How can the people requesting a Bjork special on the forum be 'real' fans of hers if they don't even own these DVDs already?

Okay,

Thanks for clearing this up!

I look forward to checking out the playlist on 2 April. I am really up to date with modern music (as well as the old stuff), the only thing is could the videos be too alternative? Have to wait and see and I think we should converse with possible answers or queries on this forum? Sound good?

They played a small promo for it on Rage last night, not sure if it contained any clues.

It did indeed contain clues!!!!

According to Rage Mod:

"Hosts are given a copy of the rage library, which currently stands at about 30, 000 videos."

Considering that there are approx 1500 new clips each year (I think the Mod mentioned that in another post) then I expect that 80's footage really only extends to common clips. Whoever wins this competition is going to be disappointed by their choices for a playlist unless it is recent material.

All those entries I have seen getting posted for the Wildcard have got a snowflakes chance in hell. I think Rage will be able to track down some requests but there will be a lot of people who will again lament the clips being played, not Rage's fault if previous administrations threw it all out. Actually Channels 7, 9 and 10 have better video libraries available at their disposal than Rage but unfortunately they don't utilise them.

I think the only option now is to rip clips from YouTube, many of them come up in superb quality and you would swear it was a TV off air recording at worst.

I'd love to know though why Rage can track down some stuff you'd assume was disposed of in the clear-out(s) - like Mel & Kim's "Showing Out" or Bananarama's "More Than Physical"; yet they can't find stuff you'd think there'd be a higher likelihood of them keeping (e.g. all of Tori Amos's videos from her first 2 albums, which have all since disappeared other than Cornflake Girl).

The Rage Mod did mention today that they have the clip for Nobody Told Me by The Monitors, unless I misread that, and that would have to be up there as far as scarce clips goes, yet they don't have Samantha Fox - Touch Me which is a common clip. Things work in strange ways down there.

Guru!

I said the EXACT same thing but it won't be up till tomorrow.

I said to them it is So strange they don't have Sam Fox yet they have The Monitors????? Which is SOOOOOOOOO much RARER!

It annoys me that they said they may play it for Wild Card 4?

What a tease!... There are MORE requests for that video than any for Wild Card 4 so why not FOR SURE have it on the Special, it's bloody cruel I tell you!

How is it that a Bjork special can be granted with a click of the fingers but not so with Nobody Told Me for Wild Card 4?
I'll scream blue murder if our requests for that song get ignored-mark my words!

"All those entries I have seen getting posted for the Wildcard have got a snowflakes chance in hell."

You're probably right Guru, but we can only live in hope that there's a slim chance at least a few of these have somewhow escaped the purge and still reside in the Rage library.
Indeed some may have never been there in the first place ....not having access to the red book,it's impossible to know!
It's clear they do have some rarities in their library that seldom see the light of day-take Blondie's "X-Offender" for example.I was pleasantly surprised to see this a few months back as I can't remember them ever playing it before,even during their past,extensive Blondie specials.
I suspect there are quite a few more of these rarities gathering dust in the deepest,darkest recesses of the archives so perhaps some of these unlikely requests may jog their memories.

Are you posting a "wishlist" yourself,Guru?

@ John

The post that the Moderator put up last night saying that rage have The Monitors in their library and my post about it is GONE. They are SO shifty!

Trying to hide the evidence about them having it!

They are NIGHTMARES, why is their bloody deal??????

Christina
I have made just one suggestion for WC4 with The Promise - Walking With A Weight as I know they have it on a storage tape. I have since gotten a copy ripped off YouTube which has come up quite good so I am not desperate for it anymore.

Many of the suggestions I have seen for WC4 are excellent and I would love to see them but if Rage only have 30,000 clips and 25,000 of those are from the last 20 years then I don't think they will have too much obscure material from the 80's unfortunately. Therefore no point in making up lists of rare clips that I know Rage won't be able to play even if they wanted to. I don't begrudge all the lists but feel that sadly it will lead to nothing although Rage do pull one or two out of nowhere so I will still anticipate the show.

Pleased to see that the Primitive's "Crash",one off my Wild Card suggestion list is being played tommorrow morning...someone must have chosen it for their Saturday morning request.
Am still very much looking forward to WC4 and fingers crossed that they decide to air quite a few of those remaining 5000 clips,including "Walking With A Weight"....

Wildcard 4 seems to be set for either May 1 or May 8.

Another reason I think many of the requests have little chance of seeing the light of day is when the Mod mentions they only have 2 a-ha clips.

I am fairly certain they only have around 5000 clips covering 60's to 80's and that is barely scratching the surface. Although that may just be what they have converted to their current broadcasting format and they may be able to source more, I certainly hope so.

Otherwise it will be another night of 90's rarities and we will be lucky to get a handful of items for the 80's.

guru, what do you think the 2nd a-ha clip they have is? I would hope it's 'The Sun Always Shines on TV' - the overlooked follow-up which I think is even better than Take On Me. I have a copy the A-Ha DVD with this video on it, but it would still be nice to see Rage air it (perhaps to expose it to a new audience).

Whoever gutted the Rage library in the 80s/90s should be shot

The other a-ha clip they have at Rage is Celice which was released in 2005 (played once on Rage Oct 14 2005). Again I cannot believe they don't have the standard a-ha issue clips which are so easily obtainable.

"Whoever gutted the Rage library in the 80s/90s should be shot!"

Yes,why did they do this?
It was bad enough that they wiped all those irreplaceable Countdown episodes the first time around but to do it over AGAIN to all those precious Rage clips is UNFORGIVEABLE!

Yes, it's unbelievable that they only have 'Take On Me' by A-Ha. It's clear that whoever gutted the Rage library hated pop.