Welcome to my forum connected to countdownmemories.com

Discuss everything COUNTDOWN and beyond!

Countdown Episodes * 70s & 80s Australian Music Programs * Music Video * Molly
Trading *  Collecting * Archival Information * Record/CD releases and more .........

COUNTDOWN IS BACK THIS JANUARY, 2019 ...  ON rage !!!!!
Stay tuned below with regular Countdown full archival information for each Countdown episode rage shall be airing every Saturday throughout January ...

Countdownmemories.com forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Glitches on "My Own Way" last night? (30 Jan)

Hi everyone,

Just wondering if it was me having digital tv reception issues or not.

Last night, Rage played the Countdown clip of Duran Duran's "My own way". A minute or so into it, it was marred by glitches and picture/sound breakup which happened twice, about a minute apart. I'm just wondering if it was my end or Rage were having a problem during that one.

If someone could check out what their copy looks like if you recorded it I'd love it. Thanks heaps!

Re: Glitches on "My Own Way" last night? (30 Jan)

Mine seemed great.

No major glitches but the video did have dots on it, looked like tape ageing...

Thank goodness I have suggested rage play this Countdown performance fore B L O O D Y years before it get's in terrible condition!

Mine went fine too and I'm curious about Duran Duran's backdrop with the blinds.The same ones used in Roxy Music's Countdown appearances in 1981?

Thanks both :) Looks like I need a better antenna.

Frankster,

I will make you a copy if you need one???

Was great seeing this performance, mine seemed fine, there was that shiny confetty being dropped that may have made it look like a bit of snow on the screen, you can tell when the text comes up, Simon kind of shakes his head and smiles, then right near the end, a heap of glitter being dropped, you can also see it flickering in his hair from time to time.

So i think the glitches are just confetty...

Jason "The Moderator"
Frankster,

I will make you a copy if you need one???

You are a godsend Jason, that would be wonderful! :) Thanks HEAPS in advance.

Stu
Was great seeing this performance, mine seemed fine, there was that shiny confetty being dropped that may have made it look like a bit of snow on the screen, you can tell when the text comes up, Simon kind of shakes his head and smiles, then right near the end, a heap of glitter being dropped, you can also see it flickering in his hair from time to time.

Definitely glitches on my end Stu, picture went into pixellation a couple of times with the sound also breaking up

Frankster30
Stu

Definitely glitches on my end Stu, picture went into pixellation a couple of times with the sound also breaking up

Did you have trouble for the rest of the nights broadcast? I sometimes find on hot summers nights, the digital picture can play up....heck, with the new iq2, i have found some pixilation after i have watched it back without pixilating the first time...even the Foxtel guy said that was bizarre.

The old analog signal might not have looked as good picture quality wise, but at least a slight bit of snow or flicker was a much better option than the screen just freezing or totally breaking up, making it completely unwatchable.

Stu,

It was a weird one - I had ABC on a whole hour before Rage started and no glitches or anything whatsoever. Once Rage started, that's when the glitches started, however, it was only on the duran duran clip. The rest of the broadcast went on unscathed.

ABC's digital broadcast comes in here in the inner west of Sydney at 90% signal level. Plenty I would've thought.

One thing I found funny with "My Own Way" was that it was obviously a Countdown "live" performance, was that about 20 seconds into the beginning of the song some random name rolls by the screen! They obviously missed editing this out.

Can someone in here refresh my memory as to the origins of this Countdown performance? It is one that was taped for Countdown but never included on a regular episode? Amazing to see after all these years!! What was with the name on the screen - was that an old request show?

Any ideas anyone?

Yes,

Unfortunately this performance was taped for Countdown but for reasons UNKNOWN it wasn't featured on a PROPER Countdown Episode.

Luckily it wasn't wasted and it appeared on a Countdown Request Episode which is why the name appears on the bottom.

Countdown obviously used the Countdown Performance of "My Own Way" as a kind of "EXCLUSIVE" to Countdown on the Countdown Request show instead!!!

Thank goodness rage FINALLY listened to me and chased it up to play, PHEW!

It is an awesome track, I first got into the song when, as an 8 y.o. my dad bought me 1982.. with a bullet on LP, and that song was on there. The single version is far better than the album version on Rio, which is too slow. I hope someone uploads this rare Countdown performance to youtube!

Matt
It is an awesome track, I first got into the song when, as an 8 y.o. my dad bought me 1982.. with a bullet on LP, and that song was on there. The single version is far better than the album version on Rio, which is too slow. I hope someone uploads this rare Countdown performance to youtube!

Those were the days, when compilations were exciting to buy, i also got the With A Bullet record, and My Own Way was indeed one of the standouts for myself, along with Centrefold, Just Can't Get Enough, What About Me, Mickey, Come Back Suzanne & Body and Soul.

Theres a slow version of My Own Way on the Rio CD Single, i take it thats the album version? I also much prefer the single version.

Stu:
There's a slow version of My Own Way on the Rio CD Single, i take it that's the album version? I also much prefer the single version.

Jason:
The slow version is INDEED featured on the Rio album.

I LOVE both versions!

I listened to My Own Way single version and the Rio version HEAPS in 1982!
My sister had both versions and it remains to this day my FAVOURITE Duran Duran released single!

Jason "The Moderator"
Stu:
There's a slow version of My Own Way on the Rio CD Single, i take it that's the album version? I also much prefer the single version.

Jason:
The slow version is INDEED featured on the Rio album.

I LOVE both versions!

I listened to My Own Way single version and the Rio version HEAPS in 1982!
My sister had both versions and it remains to this day my FAVOURITE Duran Duran released single!

All the more reasons why is was staggering why they left it off all of the Greatest Hits cd's [Decade/Greatest] & DVD..

Well...

FORTUNATELY "My Own Way" video is NOW available on DVD along with "Lonely In Your Nightmare" on the Hammersmith Concert DVD.

Thank Goodness!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am DYING to get the 1st album DVD when it is released, I will DIE!

Always preferred the faster version of "My Own Way" over the slower Rio version.
I like the Rio version but the faster one is much more fun to listen to.

Kind of seems like a bit of a waste not actually having Duran Duran perform My Own Way on an actual program, and host the show as well, maybe they could have sneaked 2 performances out of them...

But, until last week, this has been ultra rare, and a must have for all Countdown and / or Duran Duran fans and many thanks to Jason for keeping on Rage's back about playing it.

For the record, they also performed My Own Way on Top Of The Pops, as well as:

Planet Earth, Careless Memories, Girls On Film, Hungry Like The Wolf, Is There Someting I Should Know, Notorious, Ordinary World & Perfect Day.