Welcome to my forum connected to countdownmemories.com

Discuss everything COUNTDOWN and beyond!

Countdown Episodes * 70s & 80s Australian Music Programs * Music Video * Molly
Trading *  Collecting * Archival Information * Record/CD releases and more .........

COUNTDOWN IS BACK THIS JANUARY, 2019 ...  ON rage !!!!!
Stay tuned below with regular Countdown full archival information for each Countdown episode rage shall be airing every Saturday throughout January ...

Countdownmemories.com forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Estimated times on playlist?

Is anyone else annoyed at how out they were this week?

Talk about not playing fair! Especially if you set a tape and get up at a certain time to change it over!!!

Oooops, what a giveaway!

Re: Estimated times on playlist?

Yes, unfortnately I missed the Flashez episode entirely due to the dodgy runtimes, although I got some of the Flashez segements and all of the Countdowns so that's ok.

But no thanks to The 10.30 Slot - I assume next week will continue the same pattern of beginning with a rubbish show, and then some great Countdowns (of which we know one will be the Studio 31 ep) and some Flashez segments.

This Retro season has been dull in terms of sticking to a format - how boringly conservative....where's the imagination??

Big time.

I am so sad that rage retro season is coming to an end. And though I have LOVED the Countdown Episodes, I feel that we have been ripped off this year. I haven't have enough of the archival material they could have played.

I sincerely hope that on rage retro 5 we get NO Dylan Lewis shows and PURE Countdown, Flashez, Rock Arena, Beat Box, Countdown Rev and The Factory. One can dream!

We should push for 4 Countdown's next weekend!

Yes to no Dylan Lewis!

Would prefer just Countdown era stuff myself. Some pre Countdown snippets such as the great GTK clips we got a couple of years back would be welcome though.

Sounds like a good idea - lets push for 4 Countdowns -that's the least we deserve after putting up with Recovery, 10.30 Slot and endless Dylan Lewis!!!

I know he has his fans but shows from the 2000's are NOT retro!!!

The ABC has a vast archive full of Hitscene, GTK, Flashez, The Factory, Beat Box, Countdown Revolution and of course Countdown itself and little of them have been shown.....a waste.

They should hire someone who has a knowledge of these shows to program Retro - and then you'd see more variety I'm sure.

How does one get a job in Rage so we can show them how it SHOULD be done!!!?

I wish I could get a job at rage. January would be KICK A S S , without sounding vain!

Kyron
Is anyone else annoyed at how out they were this week?

Talk about not playing fair! Especially if you set a tape and get up at a certain time to change it over!!!

Oooops, what a giveaway!

Kyron you should seriously consider buying a HDD/DVD recorder. You can record the entire ep of Rage and then edit at your leisure. No more swapping tapes. At around $500 they are a bargain, especially if you can get 2-3 years interest free

The thing about Dylan Lewis is normally I don't mind him he's quite a funny guy at times.

It's a different story however when he ruins the start of retro night!

Kyron
I would definitely back what Jase said, get yourself a HDD recorder, combined with HD recording this is definitely the way to go. What a pity this technology wasn't available in the 80's as you can record multiple channels at once as well.

I do hope they play more Countdown next week as I feel we are a bit down on our quota.

While I don't begrudge all eras being played (I remember 1997 when they played 20 Countdowns and not one episode was from the 80's - they were all 70s' - and that peed me off, particularly as most were from 1979 and I felt that I saw Boomtown Rats - I Don't Like Mondays at least 10 times).

I am sure younger fans of 90's music have a similar feel for the music of their youth as we do about the 80's but when watching Recovery and 10:30 Slot it just seems to be such ordinary TV that I feel sorry for that generation if that is all of what their memories consist of. Let's hope Dylan has left the stage. The Countdown's they have shown have been brilliant but there are just not enough of them.

Yes guys a HDD unit is top of my priority list (after mortage, school fees, food etc etc not to mention dentist bills!!!).

In the meantime for me(and for those who can't afford it at all) a little more accuaracy and transparency in relation to timing on behalf of the ABC wouldn't go astray I think!

Hopefully Clip Magnet's suggestion about the Rage Mobile site will help. He provided the following URL on another thread:

http://www.abctv.net.au/m/rage/index.php

However I'm having trouble opening the page with IE and it also doesn't seem to be working properly with Firefox.

I second (or third!) the recommendation for a HDD DVDr. I have had an LG 160gig one for over 4 years and thats now in the bedroom as its been replaced by a twin tuner Panasonic for the past year.

I have long forgotten the "bugger the tape ran out" days!

Editing is an absolute charm.

Never mind food !!!
I did mine on an 18 month interest free deal and paid it off the week before the interest kicked in (I like doing that just to peeve GE).

"I have long forgotten the "bugger the tape ran out" days!
"

And yet according to another thread you appear to have missed the end of Rock Arena last week! Sounds like mishaps can still occur!!

LOL Kyron !! Too true !!

But actually I discovered afterwards its a "time out" that my Panasonic has. I think its 8 hours or something. So not quite unlimited :(. In future I can just set longer stuff over both tuners and keep that time out in mind.

Yes, I suppose it varies but my brother has trouble with his apparently with stations not honouring their programming times.

It is my intention to get one before next years' retro season... that is if they play anything pre-1989!!!!

I think it was the 8 hour time out limit on my Panasonic as well, I guess I just didn't pay attention to the length of recording I was doing - to think that I would be careless during Retro month.

Since it can record 2 Channels at once and Rage is broadcast on at least 2 Channels I now record 8 hours on one channel and then set a record to kick in on the other channel at least an hour before the first one finishes to ensure that no clips or programs are chopped in half. Certainly can't go on their estimated times.

guru bob
I think it was the 8 hour time out limit on my Panasonic as well, I guess I just didn't pay attention to the length of recording I was doing - to think that I would be careless during Retro month.

Since it can record 2 Channels at once and Rage is broadcast on at least 2 Channels I now record 8 hours on one channel and then set a record to kick in on the other channel at least an hour before the first one finishes to ensure that no clips or programs are chopped in half. Certainly can't go on their estimated times.

Do we have the same toy as each other ?? The DMR XW 300 ?

Yes for tomorrow night and next year I am setting it the same way over both tuners to avoid any further 8 hour issues.

Mine is a DMR XW 350. Not sure what the difference between the 300 and 350 is. It's a very easy unit to use which I enjoy about it.

I always bought Panasonic video recorders from the late 80's to mid 00's as they were far superior quality and they were the last ones to be manufactured in Japan while everything else had moved to Malaysia or similar destinations. Unfortunately even Panasonic are now out of other parts of Asia but the quality in those countries has improved and there is probably not much difference in the different brands of DVD recorders. The more you pay the more features you get - I just stick to Panasonic as it is a brand I have trusted.

guru bob
Mine is a DMR XW 350. Not sure what the difference between the 300 and 350 is. It's a very easy unit to use which I enjoy about it.

I always bought Panasonic video recorders from the late 80's to mid 00's as they were far superior quality and they were the last ones to be manufactured in Japan while everything else had moved to Malaysia or similar destinations. Unfortunately even Panasonic are now out of other parts of Asia but the quality in those countries has improved and there is probably not much difference in the different brands of DVD recorders. The more you pay the more features you get - I just stick to Panasonic as it is a brand I have trusted.

I think you have a slightly bigger hard drive from memory. Mine is 160gig and I bought it Nov2008.

Its actually my first panasonic - have always been a Philips girl for tellys and vcrs, then an LG one for DVDrs.
But I wanted the Pana DVDr as soon as I heard it had come out and it seemed logical to also get the "matching" TV so now I am Pana through and through!!

So many things I love with this DVDr - not least of which is the twin tuner. But something that is missing that my older LG has is the "combine" function.
Especially useful at this time of year. So on the LG if I edit a night of rage down to 2 countdowns and a mix of random clips - I could then combine the clips back together.
But with the Pana - as soon as you have divided - you cant re-combine.
That and no PIP are the only things I really find lacking in the Pana that the LG has.

Maybe I was just unlucky with mine. I had a DMR-E60 with the 200 gig hard drive and it was at a service centre twice in one year with bad hard drives that had to be replaced, then the final blow came mid '08 when a power surge killed that and my digital tv set top box.

Bought a Sony RDR-HDX890 not long afterwards and haven't looked back - only annoying thing is after finalising the discs, the menu's don't automatically load when those same discs are put into other DVD players.