Welcome to my forum connected to countdownmemories.com

Discuss everything COUNTDOWN and beyond!

Countdown Episodes * 70s & 80s Australian Music Programs * Music Video * Molly
Trading *  Collecting * Archival Information * Record/CD releases and more .........

COUNTDOWN IS BACK THIS JANUARY, 2019 ...  ON rage !!!!!
Stay tuned below with regular Countdown full archival information for each Countdown episode rage shall be airing every Saturday throughout January ...

Countdownmemories.com forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Rage Jan 16 2010

This message is on the Rage Home page for this week:

"rage goes retro continues this weekend with a very full Saturday night show! rage will be playing an episode of Recovery from 1998, a decade that looked dated pretty much as soon as it was over!

It includes performances by Something For Kate, Tism, The Cruel Sea, Area 7, Midnight Oil, The Deftones, Jebediah, Regurgitator, The Living End, Public Enemy, Grinspoon, Sheryl Crow, The Superjesus, Happyland and much more from the days of matching legging and T-Shirt sets and sideways ponytails.

Never fear if the 90s was not your favourite decade, rage is still playing plenty of retro gold including a June 1982 episode of Countdown guest hosted by the Go Go�s and featuring live studio performances by DD Smash and Australian Crawl and interviews with Rick Springfield and Debbie Harry.This episode also features lots of great clips by Duran Duran, Joan Jett, Paul McCartney and Stevie Wonder, Leo Sayer and more.

Also being played is an August 1983 episode of Countdown with guest host Malcolm McLaren with Molly presenting music news about Humdrum and covering Molly�s trip to Alice Springs to present a competition winner their prize, and have a camel ride!This episode also features clips by Krokus, Choirboys, Wendy and the Rocketts, a Pat Wilson �Bop Girl� clip with Nicole Kidman, Real Life, Donna Summer.

Some more retro gems rage is whipping out this Saturday include a July 1977 episode of Countdown guest hosted by Jon English and including his interview with Glenn Wheatley in the Countdown studios, a Glenn Shorrock tribute and live performances by Shirley Strachan, The Ferrets, Feather and clips by Alice Cooper, Marcia Hines, Bonnie Tyler, Supertramp and much more!

rage goes retro will be on this Saturday night the 9th January from 11:15pm on ABC1.

Don't forget to tune in for an hour long morning special from 10:00am on Saturday morning, featuring clips from The Pretenders, Swoop, Little River Band, Eurythmics, Aretha Franklin and more!"

Re: Rage Jan 16 2010

June 27 1982
POPULAR MUSIC SERIES FEATURING LOCAL AND OVERSEAS ARTISTS INCLUDING TOP TEN ITEMS CHARTBUSTERS AND MOLLY PRESENTING MUSIC NEWS IN HUMDRUM.THE SHOW IS HOSTED BY THE GO GO'S AND THERE ARE INTERVIEWS WITH BLONDIE AND RICK SPRINGFIELD.
LIVE STUDIO ITEMS:
GO GO'S 'OUR LIPS ARE SEALED','VACATION'
AUSTRALIAN CRAWL 'SHUTDOWN'
D D SMASH 'DEVIL YOU KNOW'
OVERSEAS ARTISTS VIDEO CLIPS:
HEUY LEWIS & THE NEWS 'DO YOU BELIEVE IN LOVE'
JOAN JETT & THE BLACKHEARTS 'CRIMSON & CLOVER'
ALTERED IMAGES 'SEE THOSE EYES'
ROCK SPRINGFIELD 'DON'T TALK TO STRANGERS'
MOTOR HEAD 'IRON FIST'
IRON MAIDEN 'RUN TO THE HILLS'
BLONDIE 'ISLAND OF LOST SOULS'
CHARTBUSTERS:
ABC 'POISON ARROW'
DR HOOK 'BABY MAKES HER BLUE JEANS TALK'
SIMPLE MINDS 'PROMISED YOU A MIRACLE'
PRINCE 'CONTROVERSY'
HUMDRUM ITEMS:
GLEN FREY 'I FOUND SOMEBODY'
SMOKIE ROBINSON 'OLD FASHIONED LOVE'
DADDY COOL 'EAGLE ROCK'
TOP TEN ITEMS:
J GEILS BAND 'FREEZE FRAME'
DURAN DURAN 'HUNGRY LIKE THE WOLF'
JOAN JETT & THE BLACKHEARTS 'I LOVE ROCK N ROLL'
PAUL MCCARTNEY & STEVIE WONDER 'EBONY & IVORY'
LEO SAYER 'HAVE YOU EVER BEEN IN LOVE'
HUMAN LEAGUE 'DON'T YOU WANT ME'
TONI BASIL 'MICKEY'
SPLIT ENZ 'SIX MONTHS IN A LEAKY BOAT'
BERTIE HIGGINS 'KEY LARGO'
CHARLENE 'I'VE NEVER BEEN TO ME'

August 14 1983
SHOW HOSTED BY MALCOLM MCLAREN AND INCLUDES FTG OF MOLLY TRAVELLING TO ALICE SPRINGS TO PRESENT GHETTO BLASTER TO LEANNE ROBERTSON, THE WINNER OF THE FLASHDANCE BARREL DRAW, AND RIDING CAMELS WHILE THERE. STUDIO PERFORMANCES:
CHOIRBOYS 'NEVER GONNA DIE';
VIDEO CLIPS:
WENDY AND THE ROCKETS 'HAVE YOUR BEEN TELLING ME LIES';
PAT WILSON 'BOP GIRL';
MALCOLM MCLAREN 'SOWETO';
KROKUS 'EAT THE RICH';
MIKE OLDFIELD 'MOONLIGHT SHADOW';
MEN WITHOUT HATS 'SAFETY DANCE';
EDDY GRANT 'ELECTRIC AVENUE';
EDDY GRANT 'I DON'T WANNA DANCE';
DURAN DURAN 'SAVE A PRAYER';
MALCOLM MCLAREN 'DOUBLE DUTCH';
TOP TEN:
NEW EDITION 'CANDY GIRL';
HUMAN LEAGUE 'FASCINATION';
REAL LIFE 'SEND ME AN ANGEL';
DONNA SUMMERS 'SHE WORKS HARD FOR THE MONEY';
CULTURE CLUB 'CHURCH OF THE POISON MIND';
HAYSI FANTAYZEE 'SHINY SHINY';
POLICE 'EVERY BREATH YOU TAKE';
EDDY GRANT 'ELECTRIC AVENUE';
IRENE CARA 'FLASHDANCE';
AUSTEN TAYSHUS 'AUSTRALIANA'

Countdown July 3 1977
This is a Countdown that had escaped the ABC purge and has been saved via a Umatic recording.

I have copies of all 3 of these Countdowns so I won't be doing any cartwheels this week, particularly as there is also a Recovery. They aren't the greatest of episodes with only a couple of highlights each. The Go-Go's performing live were actually very good and great hosts (unlike Tears or Fears).

Hi Guru, Is the Altered Images clip 'See Those Eyes' un-interrupted?

The clip for Altered Images is uninterrupted (if you are asking whether there are any interviews in it). Gavin talks for a while at the start as he introduces it and the audience clapping at the end. If you have the know how to add the official soundtrack over the clip you will have a good clip as they appear to play it in full without any or much cropping at the start or end.

Actually, having just looked through it, it is a fairly good episode. I usually just rate them on the live performances and I was never a fan of DD Smash/Dave Dobbyn (never understood why they were so big in NZ) but apart from that and the Iron Maiden/Motorhead bit it is a very good episode. I remember liking Run To The Hills in 1982 as I started High School but it doesn't have that nostalgic feel for me, plus it gets played a lot.

Thanks Guru, I was worried that it would have an interview in it. It will be great to have the clip again, as i did it have once, i taped it off 'Videodisc'.

I must admit I love Altered Images videos. The band are dorky but Clare Grogan is a great performer - she has beautiful eyes (and the rest of her isn't bad either).

Recovery aside that is an awesome night of Countdown.

The 1982/1983 episodes look great plus we get the lost 1977 episode

Throw in a few Flashez clips and I'll be on cloud nine.

This weekend's retro 3 is rather dissapointing to me.

I am not thrilled by it at all, may go to bed early me thinks....

I have both of these 80s Countdown's from Armin. But the Go Go's Episode is a good one.

If rage decide to do ANOTHER 3 HOURS of Recovery on retro 4 and retro 5 I will be really S H I T T Y !

I am hoping this excursion into Recovery is about all we will have to contend with from this utterly boring, crap show this Summer.

And hopefully it will be on first and we get a massive power cut Australia-wide whilst it is being broadcast that gets restored just prior to the first Countdown!!.

Or, more likely, some obscure sporting event such as a 10-year olds lacrosse championship from Greenland runs 3 hours overtime and we get to miss the whole lot. One can only hope.

Sadly, there are plenty of 90's music enthusiasts amongst us, and you can no doubt count some of the Rage programming team amongst that group. Hence the need to inflict this drivel on the rest of the population.

On a more positive note, the 3 Countdowns are not repeats at all, so for that we can be thankful. Yes, I know some of us (including me) have all 3 already, including the time-coded 1982/83 ones, but Rage is not to blame for that. The 1982 Go Gos-hosted show is a good one and we should be happy to get excellent, clean copies of both.

And I am very pleased they are showing that "Missing" 1977 show - I will be interested to see how it comes up, and how they will deal with the cut-off intro - they may well cut straight to Shirley doing "Tracks Of My Tears" in the studio. How disappointing those promised 1976 shows never presented themselves to the archives from a contributor in here - or I am I wrong and they are saving them up for the last 2 weeks of Retro Month?.

So cheer up all - it has been a great month so far - and I am sure the last 2 weeks will leave us all very pleased!! As long as they steer clear of Recovery.

At the end of the day, please don't be too critical of the Rage team for this, as they are trying very hard to please all parties, and whilst I do not personally agree, they also regard the 90's as "retro" so we will have to live with it.

I look forward to what they dish up on the last 2 Saturdays - I am sure it will go out with a bang!!

> Sadly, there are plenty of 90's music enthusiasts
> amongst us, and you can no doubt count some of the
> Rage programming team amongst that group. Hence the
> need to inflict this drivel on the rest of the
> population.

Yes, but even if you are a 90s enthusiast, Recovery is filled to the brim with non-music stuff, like film reviews, and those awkard boring silences when they're trying to fill the space up by making small talk or having Dylan pull one of his stupid eyebrow manoeuvres. That stuff doesn't belong on Rage.

Agreed - the show was almost a total waste of airspace - even if some of the acts were mildly acceptable, which, for the best part, was not the case. And what a boring waste of space that fool host with the earring through the eyebrow was. Anyway, nothing we do or say here is going to make the Rage team change their minds, so all I can say is, sit back and enjoy!!

Apparently this is the material included in the 1977 Jon English episode according to this site:

http://1970scountdown.atspace.com/lostmain.html

3rd July 1977 (113) (55 minutes)

Host - Jon English

Shirley Strachan - Tracks Of My Tears (Studio - but different clip to the one that has been shown on Rage Skyhooks Special)
Jon English opens the show and intro's Thelma Houston's single
Thelma Houston - Don't Leave Me This Way (Music Video)
Jon introduces the Chartbusters

Chartbusters (excerpts):
Bill Conti - Theme from Rocky (Gonna Fly Now) (Music Video)
Supercharge - You've Gotta Get Up & Dance (Music Video)

Daryl Braithwaite sends a cheerio to Countdown
Marcia Hines - What I Did For Love (Studio)
Jon introduces The Ferrets new single
Ferrets - Don't Fall In Love (Studio - but different clip to the one that has been shown on the 7/2/1982 summer special

Jon introduces Joe Tex's new single
Joe Tex - Ain't Gonna Bump No more (Soul Train)

Jon interviews Glenn Wheatley
Jon introduces Glen Shorrock biography
The Glenn Shorrock biography featuring the following footage from The Twighlights and Little River Band
The Twighlights - What's Wrong With The Way I Live (Uptight)
Little River Band - Curiosity Killed The Cat (music video)
Little River Band - It's A Long Way There (music video)
Little River Band - Help Is On It's Way

Countdown voiceover introduces some of the upcoming acts and introduces Jon English's single
Jon English - Behind Blue Eyes (Studio)
Jon introduces Alice Cooper's single
Alice Cooper - You & Me (Music Video)
Jon introduces Tina Charles' single
Tina Charles - Dance Little Lady Dance (Film Clip)

Humdrum:
Molly Meldrum talks about Jon English and his "Minutes To Midnight" album
Molly talks about Bonnie Tyler and shows an excerpt of "Lost In France" promo clip
Molly talks about Air Supply heading to UK and USA and shows an excerpt of "Do What You Do" promo clip
Molly talks about Supertramp and "Crime Of The Century" album and shows an excerpt of "Dreamer" promo clip and then off the "Crisis By Crisis" album "Lady" promo and then off the "Even In The Quietest Moments" album "Give A Little Bit"
Molly talks about JPY charting in South Africa and Germany
Molly talks about Steve Miller Band and introduces their new single

Steve Miller Band - Jet Airliner (Film Clip)
Jon English introduces Feather's new single
Feather - Girl Trouble (Studio)

Jon introduces National Top Ten

National Top Ten:
10 - Bay City Rollers - Its A Game
9 - Renee Geyer - Stares & Whispers
8 - Bill Conti - Gonna Fly Now
7 - Leo Sayer - When I Need You
6 - Boz Scaggs - When I Need You
5 - Daryl Hall/John Oates - Rich Girl
4 - Little River Band - Help Is On It's Way
3 - Julie Covington - Don't Cry For Me Argentina
2 - Alice Cooper - You & Me / Sherbet - Magazine Madonna
1 - Dr Hook - Walk Right In (Music Video)

Yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaawn! ...

Jason "The Moderator"
Yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaawn! ...

Yes - but probably sheer heaven compared to viewing 3 hours of "Recovery" - ha ha!!

A bit daggy yes, but these little fragments of the seventies have value as genuine music/television history. Not to mention the insight into fashions relating to hair and clothing styles etc.

Thirty two years on I think we should feel privelleged to be able to view this material.

I can only barely remember these songs being in the charts on the radio amd although I do remember watching some 76 and on Countdowns the memories are of course very fuzzy.

A case of different strokes for different folks?

I can't get enough of 70's Countdowns especially as there are so few.

God bless the glorious 70's

Saturday, 16 January 2010
23:18pm
RECOVERY The Best Of 1998 (ABC)
12:30am
RECOVERY The Best of 1998 (ABC)
2:00am
COUNTDOWN July 3rd, 1977 (ABC)
JON ENGLISH I'm A Survivor (ABC)
FLASHEZ Interview with Little River Band, 1977 (ABC)
LITTLE RIVER BAND The Night Owls (Capitol)
LITTLE RIVER BAND Reminiscing (Capitol)
FLASHEZ Vox Pops- Alice Cooper Concert, 1977 (ABC)
3:30am
ALICE COOPER Only Women Bleed (Sony)
ALICE COOPER How You Gonna See Me Now (Sony)
ALICE COOPER Clones (We're All) (Sony)
COUNTDOWN June 27th, 1982 (ABC)
RICK SPRINGFIELD Million Dollar Face (ABC)
GTK Interview with Split Enz - 1975 (ABC)
SPLIT ENZ Six Months In A Leaky Boat (Festival)
COUNTDOWN August 14th, 1983 (ABC)
MALCOLM McLAREN Buffalo Girls (Virgin)
MALCOLM McLAREN Duck For The Oyster (Sony)
MALCOLM McLAREN Waltz Darling (Sony)
FLASHEZ Interview with David Cassidy, 1976 (ABC)
6:00am
DAVID CASSIDY Last Kiss (Independent)
DAVID CASSIDY - Live GTK Daydreaming (Independent)
HALL & OATES Be What You Are (ABC)
MARCIA HINES Whatever Goes Around (ABC)
NATALIE COLE Mr Melody (ABC)
BRYAN FERRY A Hard Rains A-Gonna Fall (ABC)
BAY CITY ROLLERS I Only Want To Be With You (ABC)

3 more Flashez and what could be an interesting GTK with the Split Enz interview. A shame it doesn't really start for me until the awesome 1977 Countdown at 2am but from then on it's brilliant except for the awful Alice Cooper videos

I am going to get me a good sleep then wake up at about 1:30 to start Countdown at 2am.

Fricking Recovery, if it's on again next week I will be soooooo ANGRY!

Can you tell me does the promotional film clips of Thelma Houston's Don't Leave Me This Way, Bill Conti's Theme from Rocky(Gonna Fly Now), Supercharge's You've Gotta Get Up & Dance, two Little River Band's singles, Curiosity Killed The Cat and It's A Long Way There, Alice Cooper's You & Me, Tina Charles'Dance Little Lady Dance, Bonnie Tyler's Lost In France, Air Supply's Do What You Do, three Supertramp singles, Dreamer, Lady and Give A Little Bit, Steve Miller Band's Jet Airliner and Dr Hook's Walk Right In were all existed after being shown in one of long lost episodes of Countdown that was found on an early type of video cassette tape long before VHS?

YES me too happy to not see any more "Recovery" this January. Why couldn't they play 3 hours of "Countdown Revolution" instead. Now that I could have at least lived with lol.

I'd love it if the ABC roped in Tania Lacey to program Rage with highlights from Countdown Revolution - far more interesting than 3 hrs of Recovery I think.

I see that yet again there are dozens of clips being played in between Countdowns/Recovery - and once again if you take them all out you could easily squeeze in 2 more Countdown eps or some other interesting items rather than the umpteenth repeat of Split Enz's Six Months in a Leaky Boat which will be played tomorrow night.

Speaking of Recovery.....I see Dylan Lewis will now be co-hosting Video Hits - be interesting to see how the teeny boppers react to his hosting skills.....

> be interesting to see how the teeny boppers react to
> his hosting skills.....

You mean lack thereof . Though I suppose viewers of Video Hits already have such low standards...

Nicholas
Can you tell me does the promotional film clips of Thelma Houston's Don't Leave Me This Way, Bill Conti's Theme from Rocky(Gonna Fly Now), Supercharge's You've Gotta Get Up & Dance, two Little River Band's singles, Curiosity Killed The Cat and It's A Long Way There, Alice Cooper's You & Me, Tina Charles'Dance Little Lady Dance, Bonnie Tyler's Lost In France, Air Supply's Do What You Do, three Supertramp singles, Dreamer, Lady and Give A Little Bit, Steve Miller Band's Jet Airliner and Dr Hook's Walk Right In were all existed after being shown in one of long lost episodes of Countdown that was found on an early type of video cassette tape long before VHS?

Hi Nicholas - in answer to your question - Yes.

The Video cassette tape that the episode was located on was a VHS. Some educated guesswork from a few of us using the Top 10 at the end dated the episode as being from 3rd July 1977, although hopefully ABC archives has confirmed this as correct as I am sure paperwork must still exist in there somewhere. As the VHS format did not exist in Australia in 1977, the tape has been obviously a transfer from an earlier format recording - potentially a U-Matic tape or possibly even a recording on a Philips machine or something similar. The ABC were looking for the U-Matic version if it existed but it did not, so the VHS copy was simply transferred directly to DVD and sent into the archive. From there, they have obviously now made a Digi Betacam copy and the result will be for all to see tonight. It should be interesting.

Despite the dross of Recovery preceding it, we should all be happy they are choosing to play a long-lost 1970's episode, and it is a good mix of material as well.

I MUST say that I am not to excited nor to thrilled about tonight, it's a big come down from last weekend ...

Looking forward to next weekend's retro 4!

Anyhow, blah blah blah ...

I have the two 80's episodes on time code, that are showing on rage tonight. What makes it worse, is that I actually watched the Go Go's one only 3 weeks ago! I think I will know this episode like the back of my hand after tonight. I find it hard to believe that this is the same Belinda Carlisle that I fell in love with in '86 after seeing the clip for 'Mad About You' - she lost the weight and cleaned up her act (ie drug habit).

Hi everyone!
Just wondering-did anyone else who got a hold of last night's Rage experience a channel change out of their control during the last 20 minutes?
Before I called it a night last night,I pressed record for Rage on my HDD and when I turned the T.V. on this morning to check on Rage,it was on the Max channel.
My previous Foxtel set-top box had to be replaced 'cause I experienced automatic channel changes for quite a while.If no-one else experienced what I got this morning,I'd hate to think its starting all over again-and during Retro Month too.
Should add I checked for what I missed out on in the last 20 or so minutes and while I didn't miss much,its not the point-Retro Month's NOT to be messed with.
Hang on-it already has been,what with the Nick Cave torture hour,the Hopman's Cup running overtime,the resurrection of Recovery and the predictable clip selections Rage have picked in-between Countdowns and Rock Arenas,as well as between 10-11am Saturday mornings(yesterday's playlist has been the worst so far this year).

John
Hi everyone!
Just wondering-did anyone else who got a hold of last night's Rage experience a channel change out of their control during the last 20 minutes?
Before I called it a night last night,I pressed record for Rage on my HDD and when I turned the T.V. on this morning to check on Rage,it was on the Max channel.
My previous Foxtel set-top box had to be replaced 'cause I experienced automatic channel changes for quite a while.If no-one else experienced what I got this morning,I'd hate to think its starting all over again-and during Retro Month too.
Should add I checked for what I missed out on in the last 20 or so minutes and while I didn't miss much,its not the point-Retro Month's NOT to be messed with.
Hang on-it already has been,what with the Nick Cave torture hour,the Hopman's Cup running overtime,the resurrection of Recovery and the predictable clip selections Rage have picked in-between Countdowns and Rock Arenas,as well as between 10-11am Saturday mornings(yesterday's playlist has been the worst so far this year).

Hi John - Sad to say but I think you have another faulty machine. I also taped the whole thing on HDD but it did not change channel at all.

Guru Bob, If you wanna copy the August 14, 1983 Rage onto DVD coz i Remember my Digital Set Top Box Got Turned Off at 5:00a.m. on the 17th of January Last Year and i did'nt get the whole episode.

Maybe you've got a ghost changing your channels, John!