Welcome to my forum connected to countdownmemories.com

Discuss everything COUNTDOWN and beyond!

Countdown Episodes * 70s & 80s Australian Music Programs * Music Video * Molly
Trading *  Collecting * Archival Information * Record/CD releases and more .........

COUNTDOWN IS BACK THIS JANUARY, 2019 ...  ON rage !!!!!
Stay tuned below with regular Countdown full archival information for each Countdown episode rage shall be airing every Saturday throughout January ...

Countdownmemories.com forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Music Around Us May 11 1980 - New Wave

If it is the episode that I think it is then the following is the runsheet.

shotlist: 00.00 RTC;00.32 VS TICKLE AT MIXING DESK;01.03 MCU IV TICKLE RE ROLE OF TECHNOLOGY IN NEW MUSIC;01.45 VS DANGER DANCER PLAY IN STUDIO;02.45 MCU IV WARD RE MUSIC AND TECHNOLOGY;03.14 MCU IV ZATORSKI RE PLAYING LOUD;04.00 VS NIGHT, TRAFFIC;04.07 MS SIGN 'CRYSTAL BALLROOM';04.10 VS CROWD LISTENING TO THE REELS AT THE CRYSTAL BALLROOM;04.48 MCU IV THOMPSON RE THE BALLROOM SCENE AND STYLE;05.47 MCU IV 'IAN' RE NEW WAVE & PUNK SCENE;07.01 VS IAN DANCES TO THE REELS;07.15 MCU IV IAN RE MUSIC;07.41 MCU IV MACKIE RE ROLE OF MUSIC IN FORMATION OF YOUTH IDENTITY;08.42 VOX POP PUNKS RE LIVES AND MUSIC;09.43 MCU IV MACKIE RE NEW WAVE IS BASICALLY SELF INDULGENT, INDIVIDUALISTIC AND PASSIVE;10.38 VOX POP PUNK RE RELEVANCE OF THE MUSIC;11.06 VS CROWD DANCES TO THE REELS;11.57 MCU IV DU ROSE RE VALUE OF THE REELS' MUSIC;12.28 MCU IV ERDONMEZ RE NEW WAVE MUSIC IS WORTH ANALYSING;13.42 VS BADGE SELLER AND BADGES;14.43 VS IV WARD AND ZATORSKI RE RITUAL OF PERFORMANCE;15.54 VS DANGER DANCER IN THE STUDIO;17.53 MCU IV TICKLE RE PUNK WAS TOO PESSIMISTIC, DON'T THINK MUSIC SHOULD BE POLITICAL OR NEGATIVE;18.19 VS NEWS AND MUSIC POSTERS INCL 'SEX PISTOL CHARGED WITH MURDER' & POSTER FOR STIFF RECORDS;18.28 MCU IV TICKLE RE ROLE OF PUNK IN BRINGING ABOUT NEW BANDS AND NEW MUSIC;19.07 MCU IV ERDONMEZ RE MUSIC, YOUTH CULTURE, ALCOHOL;20.42 VS CAVE AND BOYS NEXT DOOR, YOUTHS DRINKING AND DANCING (NOTE:MUSIC TRACK IS BRIAN ENO NOT BOYS NEXT DOOR);21.57 VS IV WARD AND ZATORSKI RE ALCOHOL SEEMS TO BE THE DRUG OF CHOICE AT THE MOMENT;22.50 MCU IV MACKIE RE TREND TO NIHILISM IN THE ARTS, LACK OF SERIOUSNESS ABOUT WHAT ART IS, PUNK IS NIHILISTIC;25.03 VS DANGER DANCER IN THE STUDIO;25.38 VS IV WARD AND ZATORSKI RE AUDIENCE REACTIONS IN 2 BOYS WHIPPING ONE ANOTHER WITH CHAINS;26.21 MCU IV ERDONMEZ RE DEVELOPMENT OF SEXUAL IDENTITY IN ADOLESCENCE;26.46 VS IV WARD AND ZATORSKI RE SEXUAL CHARGE IN LIVE PERFORMANCE;27.23 VS CROWD AT REELS GIG;28.14 MCU IV TICKLE RE ROLE OF TECHNOLOGY AND POSSIBLE DECLINE IN CLASSICAL MUSIC, CA GV SHEET MUSIC;29.51 MCU IV ZATORSKI RE ROCK V CLASSICAL MUSIC;31.02 VS DANGER DANCER IN THE STUDIO;32.34 RTC

Re: Music Around Us May 11 1980 - New Wave

Looks very interesting indeed..

This retro night is going to be fantastic

I was wondering what this is in the rage list.

How do u have this info Guru?... And what is Music Around Us??????

Too bad about the music videos in between, whatr a load of toss!

I am a bit worried, becuase if this goes for 30 minutes, and Countdown starts at 4:30 and Katrina and the Waves plus other singles starts at 4:00, how are they going to fit this 30 minutes in?

Yes, the timings don't make sense. It says Countdown 17/6/84 starts at 4:30am, so it would finish at 5:25am. Then Flashez starts with the segment on New York City, 1977. and then the Pseudo Echo clips start at 5:55am. I'm 100% sure the Flashez segment does not go for 30minutes! More like 5-10 minutes. So what is the go?

Just checked out all the timings on the playlist - they are all over the place. It says the first Countdown kicks off at 12:30am and then 2 clips following take it to 2am! I don't think so. I know Thriller goes for a long time, but not 31 minutes!

Who knows...

rage are weird this year!

I ADORE the Countdown's they are playing but the ordering and video's in between are so terrible! ~

Times don't gel but probably just estimates. The 1977 Flashez possibly runs for a half hour which would push the 1984 Countdown to 12.45 and makes sense with Thriller running at 15min?

Fricking "Thriller"... The so called EPIC video has just turned into a COMPLETE over played and over complimented part of Music Video history.

rage have played "Thriller" SOOOOOO many times last year!

rage even played the Countdown Episode last year with the "Thriller" premiere!

It SO makes me angry. Such a F u c k i n g waste of time!... Excuse the swearing but it just
p i s s e s me right off!

rage could have put segments from a Beat Box Episode in that time, which i would LOVE to see again!

Or even an ammusing half an hour of Tania Lacey on Countdown Revolution would have been a laugh for 30 minutes. I wonder how many more times "Thriller" will be played this year?...

Michael had his well deserved rage tribute last year. Enough is Enough NOW! ....

ARGH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Never been a fan of Thriller myself and the video is a bloated yawn fest. Agree a Beat Box segment or anything really would have been better.

Ah well.. it gives me 15 min to go on the computer or make a cuppa

I must say that I do have PLENTY of toilet break slots tonight at least. He, He....

As if I see Thriller one more time I will strangle someone.

I was looking forwars to this but in the end was rather dissapointed.

The intro was AMAZING and the scenes at Crystal Ballroom and the punters was all BRILLIANT!

And that band Danger Dancer? were STUNNING!

But overall, the interviews with those vile stuffy judgmental "Normal" people brought the whole thing down.

Concervative people really get up my nose in a BIG WAY!

A pity that for such an exciting music form as New Wave,this doco didn't live up to expectations.However,to hear what Richard Zatorski sounded like in Danger Dancer before he was in Real Life was interesting.

How could I leave this out-those of us who didn't take too kindly to the Nick Cave onslaught last week got revenge in this special.He was seen yes,but he wasn't heard!

Lol, John. I saw him and thought he looked so cute at that age! But yes, after last week it was a good thing not to have heard him...

John: "A pity that for such an exciting music form as New Wave,this doco didn't live up to expectations"...

Jason: I know exactly what you mean. I agree 101% while watching it...

I was also very affronted by the conservbtive and narrow minded spouting of a few older Baby boomer "intellectuals". I particularly found the reference to the new wave generation (basically very young baby boomers and older gen xers) being non-ideological and therefore of no value.

I don't think they had much to crow about. All that free love and general permissiveness of the 60s achieved absolutely nothing. A certain amount of the blame for the waves of unemployment in the early eighties and then in the 90s can be laid at the door of these former hippies who sold out and became smug economic rationalists. I suppose if we all got our tertiary education for nothing then we'd look smug as well!!!

Surely some of the greatest recordings ever were made during that period. It was an exciting time when technology and creative flare merged. If nothing else then that at least is a worthwhile legacy to crow about.

Sorry to get generational but the mantra about "our music being the best" and "we were the greatest generation" is just laughable. What they don't like is being clearly outdone and I think you can see it on their faces in relation to the much better balanced generations X and y today(not to mention generation i - this coming generation shows great promise).

What we saw on Saturday night was a taste of what my generation has had to listen to all our lives while a great 'wall' of money followed these perinially spoiled brats (1945 to 1960ish) it mysteriously started to dry up when my lot started to come of age.

I found parts of it very hard to watch. I think you can hardly go and interview a handful of people outside a pub and then give the impression that they are representative of their generation. Any attempt to make an academic analysis from such a small sample on any subject manner in any field in the humanties just can't be taken seriously.

It also proved that binge drinking is not a problem restricted to generation y's (nor generation x's Or baby boomers OR nation builders etc etc). All in all I think it took the term 'gross generalistion' to a new level. The doco was poorly constructed in an editorial sense in that their was too much blurring between the punk movement, new wave and the first glimmerings of the new romantic movement. Tickle I think tried to unpackage it in a thoughtful way in his interview but many of the nuances appeared to get lost in the rush to portray all young people as unemployed, tasteless and artless layabouts.

Odd isn't it that former PM of NZ David Longie considered the music of Split Enz one of the great cultural achievements of his nation. Not bad for a generation of useless layabouts!