Welcome to my forum connected to countdownmemories.com

Discuss everything COUNTDOWN and beyond!

Countdown Episodes * 70s & 80s Australian Music Programs * Music Video * Molly
Trading *  Collecting * Archival Information * Record/CD releases and more .........

COUNTDOWN IS BACK THIS JANUARY, 2019 ...  ON rage !!!!!
Stay tuned below with regular Countdown full archival information for each Countdown episode rage shall be airing every Saturday throughout January ...

Countdownmemories.com forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Countdown Episodes 10th JANUARY, 2009 *** (FULL INFORMATION) *** NO.01

Here we go for Week 2, I really am not to jazzed about this weekends selections...

*** Date: 4/11/1979
THIS SHOW WAS HOSTED BY RUSSELL HITCHCOCK (FROM 'AIR SUPPLY') SUPPORTED BY CHRISTIE ALLEN LIVE IN THE STUDIO AND GRAHAM PARKER 'LIVE' FROM AUSTRALIA HOUSE, LONDON WHO WAS FILLING IN FOR MOLLY ON HUMDRUM. LOCAL ARTISTS:
CHRISTIE ALLEN BAND 'GOOSE BUMPS' (LIVE)
JO JO ZEP & THE FALCONS 'SHAPE I'M IN'
THE ALIENS 'CONFRONTATION' (LIVE)
AC/DC 'HIGHWAY TO HELL'
THE RADIATORS 'COMIN' HOME' (LIVE)
AIR SUPPLY 'JUST ANOTHER WOMAN' (LIVE)
OVERSEAS ARTISTS:
RACEY 'BOY OH BOY'
IAN DURY 'REASONS TO BE CHEERFUL'
ROBERT JOHN 'SAD EYES' (CHARTBUSTER)
SNIFF AND THE TEARS 'DRIVER'S SEAT' (NO. 1 IN BRITAIN & TOP TEN IN U.S.A.)
MICHAEL JACKSON 'DON'T STOP UNTIL YOU'VE HAD ENOUGH'
STATUS QUO 'WHATEVER YOU WANT'
FLEETWOOD MAC 'TUSK'
OVERSEAS HUMDRUM ITEMS:
ELLEN FOLEY 'LOOK AT THAT STUPID GIRL'
THE MEMBERS 'KILLING TIME' (TOUR DATES SHOWN)
THE SPECIALS 'GANGSTERS' (SKA/BLUE BEAT OR EARLY REGGAE)
LITTLE FEAT 'ROCK N ROLL DOCTOR'
NATIONAL TOP TEN:
DAVE EDMONDS 'GIRLS TALK' (10)
THE KNACK 'MY SHARONA' (9)
CARS 'LETS GO' (8)
KISS 'I WAS MADE FOR LOVING YOU' (7)
NIGHT 'HOT SUMMER NIGHT' (6)
ELO 'DON'T BRING ME DOWN' (5)
CHRISTIE ALLEN 'GOOSE BUMPS (4)
CLIFF RICHARD 'WE DON'T TALK ANYMORE' (3)
BOOMTOWN RATS 'I DON'T LIKE MONDAYS' (2)
PATRICK HERNANDEZ 'BORN TO BE ALIVE' (1)

*** Date: 04/06/1980

THERE IS A BEATLES PACKAGE PRESENTED TO MARK TEN YEARS SINCE THE GROUP DISBANDED AND THE ROCK AWARDS WHICH ARE TO BE PRESENTED THE FOLLOWING WEEK ARE DISCUSSED. GUEST HOST IS CHRISTIE ALLEN.
LIVE STUDIO ITEMS:
JOHN TOWNLEY 'SHINE ON'
ALIENS 'FOLLOW THAT GIRL'
SCIENTISTS 'LAST NIGHT'
LOCAL ARTISTS VIDEO CLIPS:
MI-SEX 'PEOPLE'
SPLIT ENZ 'I GOT YOU'
OVERSEAS ARTISTS VIDEO CLIPS:
PRETENDERS 'BRASS IN POCKET'
BLONDIE 'ATOMIC'
SECRET SERVICE 'OH SUSIE'
VAPOURS 'TURNING JAPANESE'
HEART 'EVEN IT UP'
CHARTBUSTERS:
JANIS IAN 'FLY TO HIGH'
B-52'S 'ROCK LOBSTER'
CHARLIE DORE 'PILOT OF THE AIRWAYS'
BEATLES PACKAGE:BEATLES 'BACK IN THE USSR','LET IT BE'
HUMDRUM ITEMS:
ANDY GIBB 'DESIRE'
KC & THE SUNSHINE BAND 'PLEASE DON'T GO','YES I'M
READY','SHAKE YOUR BOOTIE','BOOGIE SHOES','THAT'S THE WAY I LIKE IT'
TOP TEN ITEMS:
STEVE FORBERT 'ROMEO'S TUNE'
FIDDLER'S DRAM 'DAY TRIP TO BANGOR'
POLICE 'WALKING ON THE MOON'
CAPTAIN & TENNILLE 'DO THAT TO ME ONE MORE TIME'
KENNY ROGERS 'COWARD OF THE COUNTY'
COLLEEN HEWETT 'DREAMING MY DREAMS WITH YOU'
CHRISTIE ALLEN 'HE'S MY NUMBER ONE'
MICHAEL JACKSON 'ROCK WITH YOU'
PINK FLOYD 'ANOTHER BRICK IN THE WALL PART II'
QUEEN 'CRAZY LITTLE THING CALLED LOVE'

*** Date: 19/4/1980
COUNTDOWN TV WEEK ROCK MUSIC AWARDS VARIOUS ROCK AND ROLL LUMINARIES EXPLAIN CATEGORIES, ANNOUNCE NOMINATIONS AND PRESENT AWARDS TO WINNERS. INCLUDED ARE VIDEOTAPE INSERTS OF NOMINEES AND THREE PRODUCTION NUMBERS LIVE ON STAGE. THE PRODUCTION NUMBERS ARE CHRISTIE ALLEN, HE'S MY NO 1, AUSTRALIAN CRAWL, BEAUTIFUL PEOPLE AND SPLIT ENZ, I GOT YOU. THE HOST WAS GLENN SHORROCK ARTISTS/TITLES: CHRISTIE ALLEN, HE'S MY NO.1,CHRISTIE ALLEN, GOOSEBUMPS, COLLEEN HEWETT, DREAMING MY DREAMS OF YOU, MARCIA HINES, SOMETHING'S MISSING, DARYL BRAITHWAITE, LOVE LIKE A CHILD, JON ENGLISH, GET YOUR LOVE RIGHT, JOHN PAUL YOUNG, HEAVEN SENT, LITTLE RIVER BAND, LONESOME LOSER, IT'S NOT A WONDER, MI SEX, BUT YOU DON'T CARE, SHERBET, HEART GET READY, AUSTRALIAN CRAWL, BEAUTIFUL PEOPLE, MENTAL AS ANYTHING, THE NIPS ARE GETTING BIGGER, MI SEX, COMPUTER GAMES, COLD CHISEL, CHOIR GIRL, COLD CHISEL, BREAKFAST AT SWEETHEARTS, BEEB BIRTLES & GRAHAM GOBLE, I'M COMING HOME, THE ANGELS, SHADOW BOXER, SPLIT ENZ, I GOT YOU, TWO MAN BAND, UP THERE GAZALY.

*** Date: 30/11/1980

MOLLY AND BETTE MIDLER CO-HOST THIS SHOW BASED AROUND THE 'COUNTDOWN '80' BOOK. BETTE MIDLER PROMOTES HER BOOK 'A VIEW FROM A BROAD' AND MOVIE 'THE ROSE'. GEORGE BENSON IS INTERVIEWED BY MOLLY RE NUMBERS OF FANS IN AUSTRALIA, SECTIONS OF HIS CAREER AND HIS LATEST ALBUM 'GIVE ME THE NIGHT'. THERE IS A 'WEATHER REPORT' CLIP OF MOLLY BEING DOUSED IN PIES AND WATER. LOCAL ARTISTS:
JO JO ZEP & THE FALCONS 'I WILL RETURN'
MI-SEX 'COMPUTER GAMES' (AWARDED 'MOST POPULAR SONG FOR 1979')
COLD CHISEL 'CHEAP WINE'
AUSTRALIAN CRAWL 'INDISPOSED'
ANGELS 'FACE THE DAY'
FLOWERS 'WE CAN GET TOGETHER'
OVERSEAS ARTISTS:
BETTE MIDLER 'BOOGIE WOOGIE BUGLE BOY'
BETTE MIDLER 'CHAPEL OF LOVE'
LEO SAYER 'ONCE IN A WHILE'
GEORGE BENSON 'LOVE TIMES LOVE'
BLONDIE (DEBORAH HARRY) 'THE TIDE IS HIGH'
VILLAGE PEOPLE 'CAN'T STOP THE MUSIC'
OLIVIA NEWTON-JOHN 'XANADU'
SHARON O'NEIL 'HOW DO YOU TALK TO BOYS'
KISS 'TALK TO ME'
ELTON JOHN 'SARTORIAL ELOQUENCE'
NATIONAL TOP TEN:
KATE BUSH 'BABOOSHKA' (NO. 10)
JOHN LENNON 'STARTING OVER' (NO.9)
POINTER SISTERS 'HE'S SO SHY' (NO.8)
QUEEN 'ANOTHER ONE BITES THE DUST' (NO.7)
DONNA SUMMER 'THE WANDERER' (NO.6)
CLIFF RICHARD 'DREAMIN' (NO.5)
POLICE 'DON'T STAND SO CLOSE TO ME' (NO.4)
BARBRA STREIS

Re: Countdown Episodes 10th JANUARY, 2009 *** (FULL INFORMATION) *** NO.01

Awesome love the 79-80 era episodes

Will we get any flashez or GTK clips I wonder?

Glad you are pleased.

I am more of a 1981 to 1985 Countdowner.

I would rather mid to late 1980 as it gets more New Romantic. 1979 is good but there is not too much Englishcontent in them

It's just the last Episode in particular that bothers me. George Benson interview and Bette Midler = YAWN!

Would have liked at least 2 Flashez Clips and 1 Rock Arena in there rather than Female Artists videos. I mean I ADORE Kim Wilde and Grace Jones AND Cyndi lauper. BUT, it will be the same old same old videos they choose like Kids In America, Girls Just Wanna....

I am afraid I have to agree with Jason, those episodes are Yawnsville Central although I am interested in seeing the 1980 awards show. I thought the mainstream chart pop music of the 1978-1980 disco era was a dull period in music. I want more 1981-1985 and even the 1986 episodes are mostly good.

About half an hour before Jason left that last comment here I posted a message on the Rage guestbook which said nearly the same thing. Bette Midler, George Benson and Leo Sayer are shockers.

Thank goodness you agree Guru...

1981 to 1986 is FANTASTIC. I actually EREALLY dig 1986 Countdown's...

There is just no real escitment for me this weekend, it is all rather bland and non eventful really.

The last episode from 1980 is appppauling!!!!!

I think I will be in bed early for that.

Yep, 1978 to 1980 particualary in OZ was so boring.

1981 was when video really took off so it was much more exciting. I wish they would have ditched the last one for a 1981 or THE 1982 Episode with All Touch in the studio (which i WANT so bad!!!!)

I hate when they stick to a particular year all night, last week was great for variation and balance!

Throughout all the 1979 eps that I have seen. I have not once seen Promises, "Baby It's You" played in full. Is this featured on the July 79 episode that is yet to be aired on Rage.??
Please.. Help

The Promises - Baby It's You was shown just a few months ago in the Rage Wildcard 2. It's not a rare video. From memory they were a Canadian Brother/Sister act and their father had emigrated there from Germany. It was shown on a Countdown March 11 1979 but that has also been shown so I hope we don't see that again, there are already way too many repeats.

I love the 81-86 episodes as well,I love them all..well except 1987 where it went downhill..79/80 the shows were still full of energy with some great new wave music

Yes it would have been a good idea to replace the same old videos (Crocodile Rock ) with some flashez/gtk clips.

i have not seen that 1979 episode featuring Promises..so it would be of interest to me that is for sure..they have repeated many other eps, so mabe this one too. One other episode from 1978 features Van Halens "You Really Got Me"..I gotta admit I was in lust with Dave lee Roth and his open red shirt showing his yummy chest and his black leather pants....HOT HOT HOT..( HAVENT SEEN THIS EP YET SINCE 1979)

We DON'T want another 1979 repeat!!!!!! NO!!!!

There is one unplayed 1979 Episode if rage must play 1979...

I am being totally selfish in saying I want nothing but 1981 - 1986, PERIOD! Ah well, selfish I am

Hi I have to disagree with many of you this time around I have been waiting forever for that 'Countdown' ep with co - host Bette Midler as I had not seen it since it first aired about 30 years ago and remember really have enjoyed it especially the interview between Bette & Molly some real funny in your face type chat there about Molly's love life if I am not mistaken don't quote me for sure on that.

As for Olivia RAGE should play a whole night devoted to the one and only as she certainly has made a mark in popular music and has been a fantastic ambassador for our country. They will do Kylie Minogue or Madonna every so often but as for Olivia she always seems to be overlooked as many Australian female artists or bands are often by RAGE. Okay don't get me started on this I might not stop lol.

Vaild point on the same old tired clips that have been played by many of the female clips this coming week. 'Rock Arena' Female artists show would have been much more pleasurable to endure so I am in agreement with that.

Oh well I spose you can't have everything though a little is always nice at least. I have already cancelled going out this Saturday night to get the most out of this retro programming.

All we need now is a 'Countdown' convention where fans and artists from the show can get together to discuss all things 'Countdown'. After all we have just about had everything else. As for the shows and eras loved all the years of 'Countdown' and recognise the brilliance of all the eras and musical genres. What can I say it is a trip down memory lane even though much of it I was there for the first time around. I am sure I am not alone. I spose for one last thing it would be good now if 'RAGE' could continue to just play unaired episodes that have not been shown since there first airings. Many viewers are sick and tired of being saddled with endless repeats that we have seen time and time again. After all it's us the viewers that keep this show in production.

Sorry to say but I hope next week is better. Yawnsville some of these ep...snore!!! Good to see some Pretenders though..

Yes, that last episode of Countdown with Bette or ***** Midler (I should say!) put me to sleep literally... I woke up again when "Denis" was on.

I want some colour next week!

Hi Jason - it's a bit late, but which one is right? rage had the Countdown Awards as 13/4/80, however in the archives page, it is down as 19/4/80 ??? Also, is there a typo with the Christie Allen/Molly episode which rage had it as 6/4/80 and the archives page has it as 4/6/80.

It's just that it got me stumped last week, when I went to look up the playlist of these episodes in the archives, before you put them up, and couldn't find them.