Durant Motors Internet Forum

Our Purpose

Preserve the automobiles manufactured by the Durant Motor Company, provide enjoyment for each member with meets, tours & technical assistance.

This forum is provided by the Durant Motors Automobile Club located at durantmotors.org

How to Add Pictures             Rocky

For Sale & Wanted
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Brake Shoe Return Springs

You might also check out the McMaster Carr web site. They have all types of springs for industrial use. Maybe one will work.

Where Are You From? Oviedo, Florida

Do You own a car built by Durant? Yes 1928 Model 65

Go to a local parts store, preferably an older established store, and if they still have the paper parts catalogs, look up their Wagner Brake Hardware Illustrated catalog. It has full size pics of numerous brake shoe return springs to compare your spring with. You might come up with a match or something really close to work with. If nothing local, go to Ebay and search Wagner Brake Catalog. My copy is HU860 from Oct, 1977.

Where Are You From? Texarkana, TX

Do You own a car built by Durant? Several

Here's one the same as mine on Ebay # 193963719292.

Thank you for the response Don. Unfortunately I have already pursued that path. We have a parts store here in town that has the Wagner catalog, Unfortunately the ones that matched up have been discontinued. Charlie also called all his suppliers and came up with nothing. I do have new ones that are about 3/8" to short. I am considering making clips that would make up the difference and see if that will work.

I don't get my wheels back until the end of May at the earliest, so I figured I would keep looking until I am closer to that time, then resort to plan B.

I did think it was odd that both front and rear springs were broken on the passenger side when I removed the wheels to send off for new spokes. The driver side springs are still in usable condition.

Where Are You From? Mount Pleasant Iowa

Do You own a car built by Durant? Yes

Search the brand and part number of the spring on ebay. Sometimes they are listed that way.

Where Are You From? Texarkana, TX

The Durant Motors Automobile Club