Durant Motors Internet Forum

Our Purpose

Preserve the automobiles manufactured by the Durant Motor Company, provide enjoyment for each member with meets, tours & technical assistance.

This forum is provided by the Durant Motors Automobile Club located at durantmotors.org

How to Add Pictures             Rocky

For Sale & Wanted
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Headlig lens and bezels

Yes Norm,

I noticed that as well, I was looking all through our photo page and couldn't find any match, they are the ball type but have a raised trim strip on the top..... 1930 407 was the only thing that had came close, they have something raised on the door?.... I haven't looked at other brands.

Where Are You From? Leavenworth, WA / Yuma, AZ

Do You own a car built by Durant? Several

I think those Headlights on Ebay are 1932 Packard.....Their is a pair on Ebay that look the same but are not as good of shape and the guy is asking $1200.00 bucks....So If I am right someone could buy the set of "Durant" listed Headlights and re-list them and make a proffit of over a thousand bucks...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1932-Packard-Antique-Brass-Era-Depress-Beam-C-M-Hall-Headlights-Headlamps-31-33-/322847216661

Hi Bill .. the eBay 1932 Packard ones have same idea but wider at 10 7/8 than the other eBay pair at 10 inch. Fastening part is completely different as well. Is it my imagination that the pricy lights don't match ? One has painted fastening area the other chrome. Google images show the 1930, 31, 32 Packard's with same idea maybe lesser models might have the 10 inch lights and fastening like our 1930 - 32 lights ??

I knew I had seen those 10 inch lights somewhere but off what ? First thing came to mind was Desoto but couldn't find any on Google images of Desoto with them. Tried a few more makes with same results. Hit the 1929 Reo Flying cloud and sure looks the same idea but ??
https://classics.autotrader.com/classic-cars/1929/reo/flying_cloud/100953893

If we knew the lense size and Don's Bulbs site was still up with the 1937 book, it probably would give us an idea what vehicles used that lense size to narrow it down.

Our 30 - 32 Durant can have the peak adornment which mirrors the 3 spears motif found everywhere on the 1930, rad cap, crank hole cover, in and out door handles, robe rail ends, pull straps fastenings, dash spears, 614 with spear hood vents, some like my old 614 Special had stainless steel V strips on the rad front. Our 1930 407 had plain handles similar, but not same, as US 1931 619. I understand the Oakland 407 used the 614 spear handles. Less spears on the 31 / 32. My 32 only rad cap and crank hole cover with spears. 1930 Essex inside handles, 32 Durant only, but outside handles I haven't uncovered what. 619 in same boat with cap only and V rad that won't take the flat crank hole cover. One of the Durant upgrades 1931 model year starting Jan 1 1931 different dash plate, pulls, handles, etc.

You could also buy the peak adornment's to add to your lights. Butters boys cast them. Drill a hole in your door tops and attach them, same as factory.

Where Are You From? Ottawa Ont

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1932 Dominion built 614 Sedan

Norm,

I think it's back to the drawing board for both of us.....It looks to me that the '29 Cloud has more of a "teardrop" shape, rather than the ball shaped "Durant listing" also that ornimatation on the top of the headlight door I think is slightly different.....On the '32 Packard lights the Ball shaped buckets and headlight doors look identical to the "Durant's", but like you say the mounting is different....Who knows how the seller may have measured the Durant listed lights (maybe inside the door rather than overall?).....Both the packard lights look the same to me other than one is held together with duct tape,...Imagine $1200.00 and held together with Duct Tape!!

About a 100 years ago I owned both a '29 Flying Cloud and a'29 Wolverine....I spent my whole income tax refund ($800.00 dollars) to pay for the Cloud....Didn't have any room in the garage for either of them so threw some plastic over them and they sat in the driveway over the winter...The next Spring the wife goes Yak Yak get them the H out of here...So thought I would sell the low end Wolverine and keep the Cloud...A young feller came by to look at the Wolverine and I made the mistake of letting him see the Cloud, so now he didn't want the Woverine he had to have the Cloud...After he pestered me for about a half hour I threw out a rediculous price of $1600 dollars (twice what I paid) to get rid of him...Well, he said I'll be back....That kid went to his folks, his aunts and uncles, anybody he could think of and came up with the rest of the cash that he needed to buy the car....I would guess that Flying Cloud would be worth a few sheckles today..

I can't even mail the seller of the duct tape lights to find out what lense size or that those are not Durant. If a seller on eBay sells US only eBay blocks Canada from even asking a question. This started in Fall of 2017 when I was after info on some dishes that matched my late wives set. Doesn't matter if its eBay.com, eBay.ca or eBay.uk. Actually the items won't even show up on eBay.ca at all. Had to have one of our US DMACer's go after it for me.

Oh well we know the lights are not ours. As the Packard slogan goes "Ask the man who owns one" on the lights. Wonder if its the duct tape that set the high price. ha ha.

Where Are You From? Ottawa Ont

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1932 Dominion built 614 Sedan

The Durant Motors Automobile Club