Durant Motors Internet Forum

Our Purpose

Preserve the automobiles manufactured by the Durant Motor Company, provide enjoyment for each member with meets, tours & technical assistance.

This forum is provided by the Durant Motors Automobile Club located at durantmotors.org

How to Add Pictures             Rocky

For Sale & Wanted
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
1923 Dort Coupe For Sale

A place called Rosedale Pawn in Bakersfield, California, has a 1923 Dort for sale for $7,500 asking price (but likely negotiable). It is a bit weathered but actually in pretty good shape. I have photos I would be happy to forward, or post if I can figure out how to do that. Story from pawn shop people was that this car was supposedly running when the elderly owner passed away, and that it was sold as part of the estate. They got it from the guy who bought it from the estate.

It is actually not a bad looking car and I was fascinated at the history. But I have neither the money or time to take on such a project. From nosing around the internet, the asking price seems at least in the ballpark. Anyway, I'd hate to see some hot rodder get it and chop it into little pieces, so hope this note might find someone with purer intentions.

John Riise

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I looked up the pawn shop address below.
Rick Botti

Rosedale Pawn Inc
http://www.rosedalepawn.org
5831 Rosedale Hwy,
Bakersfield, CA 93308
(661) 323-1779

Open 9:30 AM - 5:30 PM

Re: 1923 Dort Coupe For Sale

Copied to Gray Dort Club as well.

Where Are You From? Ottawa Ont

Do You own a car built by Durant? Dominion built 1932 614 Sedan

Looks like a great project for someone to restore a rare car. Looks to be complete. Hope someone picks it up and it doesn't end up hot rodded.

Where Are You From? Oviedo, Florida

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1928 Durant Model 65

Question on the hot- rodding of these cars. Is that as popular? I can see a "rat rodder" putting the radiator shell and emblem on their creation but not the whole SBC, mustang II front end,custom interior etc. I'm afraid that cars of this era are losing appeal to anyone except for us crazy people. Ross

Where Are You From? orygun

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1930-6-14

Appears to be a rare car for a Dort / Gray Dort with most touring's now existing. Not sure what year this one is based on pic's of Dort's. Rad shell appears to be 1924 if by its shape. 1921 / 22 / 23 triangle like on top of the shell.

Bumper on back seems to be a front accessory bumper like the 1923 A22 Durant in DMAC photos. Dort bumper is twin bars as shown in DMAC photos of a 23 sedan with the triangle like top of rad shell. Google images of Dort's 1922 / 23 has same twin bar bumper.

Few things not right but a darned good car as a project.

Where Are You From? Ottawa Ont

Do You own a car built by Durant? Dominion built 1932 614 Sedan

A 4 passenger coupe or what I call an opera coupe...That should be a jump seat on the floor and there is usually a storage box behind the drivers seat...Can you Imagine actually getting four people in one of these rigs...Now that's cozy!

Where Are You From? Leavenworth, WA ? Yuma, AZ

Do You own a car built by Durant? Yes

I do believe this is a 1923 dort model 20c. If right, it will have a falls motor. the bumpers are correct.

Where Are You From? calif

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1924 flint

Was in Bakersfield last week and decided to drop by and see if the Dort was still there. It is, so took a few more pictures for those interested.

Not sure this is the original cowl around the radiator or if the radiator is original (although it is a honeycomb), as the pipes out of the radiator are much smaller than those coming out of the engine.

Drivers side of engine. I couldn't find any number plate on the engine.

Passenger side of engine.

Plate on firewall.

Dash with Ford amp meter.

Plate on spare wheel.

Rear of car.

Enjoy!

Where Are You From? Grand Junction CO

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1926 Star Coupe

The Durant Motors Automobile Club