Durant Motors Internet Forum

Our Purpose

Preserve the automobiles manufactured by the Durant Motor Company, provide enjoyment for each member with meets, tours & technical assistance.

This forum is provided by the Durant Motors Automobile Club located at durantmotors.org

How to Add Pictures             Rocky

For Sale & Wanted
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
need dashboard knobs ,running board trim

I'm looking for the choke,throttle, lights and ignition advance knobs specific to a 31 Durant. I've never seen what they actually look like,but I believe that they are square. Even pattern pieces would be welcomed. Re. Running board trim.Has anyone had any luck contacting L&L trim? They never respond to inquiries.

Where Are You From? Ithaca NY

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1931 deluxe roadster

Re: need dashboard knobs ,running board trim

Hi Ken
I have a number of the square proper 30, 31 Durant dash knobs even a couple cables as well. Also have a couple of the complete housing for them. Let me know where to send them and after you receive them let me know what you want to pay. Also other parts for many of our cars. I don't use the stock running board trim as I don't like it, I use red oak and a new high gloss stainless trim piece bent 90 degrees on the leading edge only. Looks real nice.
My E-mail is...oldcars@lancedurant.com and phone after 11 AM is 858-560-5737
Faithfully
Lance Haynes
4672 Mount Gaywas Dr.
San Diego, CA 92117

Where Are You From? San Diego, CA

Do You own a car built by Durant? A few

Ken, we've talked about this before. The square pulls are 1930 and 1931 / 32 are round. You have the same dash board as mine, Gord Curls E670 Fronty, Stephan's 1931 614 and the 619 Lance restored. Hard to make out but see Charlie Spitz 619 pic 0510 in photos before Lance tore the car apart. Each round pull with round backing to dash, has the letter in it. I need the light one for mine.

1930 the square pulls and square backing to dash are one over the other each side of the gauge plate and ours are one line across the dash as shown in your and Charlie's pic's.

The 633 Durant also has round pulls but same as the 680 De Vaux which are not same as ours. Those ones have what best I can describe as one V with 2nd V inverted crossing over the other and the letter in the middle of the V's. I don't know what the 675 De Vaux look like as the rusty cowl pic I have of Ed / Frank Pringlemeir's is missing the knobs but think its the same pulls as the 680. They almost look like the Freemasonry symbol.

So you need 1931 / 32 Durant or Frontenac pulls.

Where Are You From? Ottawa Ont

Do You own a car built by Durant? Dominion built 1932 614 Sedan

Well isn't this stupid .. I can't edit my former mail and used to have 59 min to do so. Another glitch in the system

I checked my photos and yes I did send you a pic of my dash pulls on the right side, Ken, so you knew what to look for. My key is in the cig lighter hole and coil / key hole has the lighter. One of the switches someone made in its past. I have a funny feeling the empty hole at end left on dash board is for a push button start as I see same thing in Reg Bent's 1930 614 parts car.

photo 1932Durant36-1.jpg

Ken-L & L still advertises in Skinned Knuckles-417-476-2871, blandoll@hotmail.com. Phil

Where Are You From? portland, OR

Do You own a car built by Durant? 60

after many tries Brad at L&L replied to my inquiries. He has the outside trim but not the inside pieces. I ordered enough to adapt the outside pieces to make them look like inside pieces.

thanks Norm for reminding me about the shape of the knobs for a 31 and posting the photo. So now I'm looking for a set of round knobs.
Lance; Thanks for your offer of the square knobs but apparently I need round knobs.
Still need the knobs or examples that Mike Butters could make copies from.
Kenn@columbiabb.com

Ken, I keep thinking some other car co must have used same pulls as ours. My inside handles used in 1932 only Dominion Durant 614 / 618 are the defunct 1930 Essex ones and I was lucky to get a full set of 8 from Tim Orr a few years ago with backing plates and pins. Tim picked them up years before from Minaker's Auto Parts (Milford) Ltd Est.1925.. under the seat of another car there, in a paste wax tin of the 40's. Tim was into rods and body's he got from Minaker's. Just in case a body didn't have handles these were picked up also. Was a fluke I connected to Tim, while he still had the 633 sedan Bob has, and the handles didn't get used on a rod. My external ones appear to be the US 619 looking at Wayne's pic in photos and blowing it up for a closer look, not our 1930 407 type which look similar. So like parts for 619's these exterior handles are like hens teeth also.
Our cars are assembled cars so someone else used a lot of the same parts. Its like US the 30's D's to the last model (619) used Glolite lights and lenses as did we 1930 until Dominion came into being 31 and we used Depress Beam on all cars to the end 1934 as did over 14 other models / Co's flat lense 11471. 33 / 34 Fronty used same size but convex 12887 as did 3 other cars. US counterpart Continentals used Stabilite.

What a Co of mixed parts US / Can and not using same. 619 bumpers are closed end and our single blade are open ended. You used a sort of oval bumper medallion on the 619 and we used a diamond shape. We used the beehive taillight lense on the 30 - 32 plus a number of pre 30 model. Your 30 one is orange top and red beehive and for some reason US decided to use the same all red we did on the 31's.

I don't know what the Butters boys have in molds for out cars. The Swallow, Gord tells me, used now in repo's, is off his E670 Fronty after he dropped it. Butters does list a pile of repro items in the Graham site for those cars. http://www.graham-paige.com/ under http://www.graham-paige.com/bits.htm . Be kind of cool if they had similar in DMAC.

Can't recall how you made out with the center hood strip and end clips when I saw your car at Shannonville a couple of years back. The B42 Mack truck has a stainless steel center strip miles too long, you can cut, but doesn't have that raised center line. The end clamps are identical to ours and the 32 Plymouth.

This is where we need a cross reference parts manual as to what vehicle's used what but include Canadian vehicles as well. None of the US books like Hollanders include what we used and some don't even recognize De Vaux, which was US. (I've talked to sellers on eBay about Hollander books as to content's ) Branham's bible of misinfo is also US only.

Wonder what Reo used for pulls seeing as their body is very close to the 680 De Vaux, 685 Fronty, 633 Durant, and built in Dominion as well 1932 and later.

I've wondered what Butter's has of the late Harvey Frid's patterns that he developed for our cars. I could probably come up with one of his old parts lists, but he might of had fifty items that he was remaking. He reproduced the 1930-on radiator shell! It was made of an alloy called Koroloy and weighed 400lbs, but it looked nice.(kind of made the front end sag a bit). I know you could get everything you needed for the 6-14. I think he was just looking for anything he could reproduce.

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1930 6-14

It would be nice if the Butters would put out a list of what they can make or have the pattern for Durant's etc. Gotta kinda of guess what they can do.

Where Are You From? Oviedo, Florida

Do You own a car built by Durant? Yes 1928 Durant Model 65 4 door sedan

The Durant Motors Automobile Club