Durant Motors Internet Forum

Our Purpose

Preserve the automobiles manufactured by the Durant Motor Company, provide enjoyment for each member with meets, tours & technical assistance.

This forum is provided by the Durant Motors Automobile Club located at durantmotors.org

How to Add Pictures             Rocky

For Sale & Wanted
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
tires

The old girl needs new shoes. The instruction manual says the tires should be 29 X 5.5. Is that a typo maybe? The wheels are 19 in. wire spokes. The one good tire I have is a 19 x 6.5 and they are costly.

Would I do harm to the cars authenticity if I retired with 19 x 5.5?

Opinions appreciated!

Arthur

Where Are You From? Heathsville, VA

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1930 (29?) mOD 70 dELUXE sEDAN

Re: tires

The first set of numbers is the old sizing method. Double the 5.5 and subtract 11 from the first number (29). This gives the wheel size of 18". Your wheels may not be original but you need to stay with the 19" size tire that you are running now.
Prices on everything are steadily going up every day. You just have to bite the bullet and consider the new tires as an investment. When I was a kid I remember seeing some cars that had worn out tires. The owners simply got a larger tire and forced the worn tire into it. I've always wondered how such a setup rode and handled. Maybe someday I'll try it out.

Where Are You From? Texarkana, TX

Do You own a car built by Durant? Several

lucas tire co sells our tires 19 inch for $75 dollars each plus $25 or so new tube and $10 for new flaps ....

it is their house brand...see their catalogue

Where Are You From? Penna

Do You own a car built by Durant? star trg

Lucas will send you a catalogue if you ask them. Coker also carries the tires as does Mac's Ford parts. Lester (Universal Tires) also carries our size

I assume your 1929 70 takes the 4.75 / 5.00 x 19 which is standard 1928 to 1931 on Durant's. I'm told by Queensway Tires in Simcoe Ont who have all the old tire books, that only the 1932 Durant uses the 5.25 / 5.50 x 19.

The 32 Frontenac 5.25 / 5.50 x 18. The 618 can be 19 1931, or 18 Feb 1932 and later.

Where Are You From? Ottawa Ont

Do You own a car built by Durant? Dominion built 1932 614 Sedan

Hi Arthur;
Don't want to skimp here. Your life depends on it. I've been watching the prices and like Don says the prices have been rising. When I first got my car I looked up the prices of the tires we need and they were around $125 a piece, now they are pushing $200 a piece for white walls. Like it was said, you just have to bite the bullet and get the best you can for your money. The one good thing is that because the car is not driven that much the tires will deteriorate due to age before they will wear out.

Where Are You From? Oviedo, Florida

Do You own a car built by Durant? Yes

Arthur.
Be safe and look good at the same time and ad class and value to your great car. Most car manufactures were cutting corners everywhere and model "A" tires are actually to small little weak skinny cheap looking things. Especially your big model 70 4dr the biggest heaviest car Durant ever made. After having your car here and working on it and seeing for myself and the huge 14" brake drums and driving your car it needs a 650/19 wide whitewall. That is what I am run on my model 6-66 the next heaviest car below yours. I get mine from Coker and I buy tires from Lucas as well. Lucas are better people and more fair.
Sure they cost more but hey you get what u pay for.
Faithfully
Lance Haynes
San Diego CA

Where Are You From? San Diego, CA

Do You own a car built by Durant? many

Hello Lance!,, Good to hear from you.

I was just cringing at the total cost. You are right of course.

Thanks for the nudge!

Your friend, Arthur

Where Are You From? VA

Do You own a car built by Durant? Mod 70 Deluxe Sedan

Hello Mike,

You and Lance are good friends, thanks for helping me accept the reality of having to get good tires,

See you soon! ( Sept.)

Arthur

Where Are You From? VA

Thanks Norm,

Your guidance is appreciated.

I have to be careful with what I spend these days and it looks like the tire bill, with the tubes & inserts is going to run about $2500 .

I'll Manage.

Talk to you later,

Arthur

Where Are You From? VA

Hello Norm!
Never knew that about tire size codes. Thanks!
The older I get the more I realize I don't know. Do you suppose any of us will live long enough to know nothing?

Arthur

Where Are You From? VA

Hello Don, it's me again, Arthur.

Sorry about the salutation in my last message, hopefully neither you nor Norm would be offeded by my fox paw.

Arthur

Where Are You From? VA

Ouch Arthur .. can almost buy another car for that amount. Much the same idea as 4 door handles from the Butters boys for $1000.

Like we keep saying our cars are not worth much as orphan cars, so don't buy one with expectation of big return on resale. Costs about 5 times what we spend to fix up than you will ever see back. Its strictly a hobby and must be kept that way in your mind. The fun of owning one, tinkering on it, looking for parts, and meeting others in the same boat.

Norm

Where Are You From? Ottawa Ont

Do You own a car built by Durant? Dominion built 1932 614 Sedan

Arthur, look at it this way, One could spend all his money sousing it up at the local gin mill and have nothing to show for it,,,,,, buy a fancy boat and all the trimmings just to catch a fish,,,,,, donate your money to Las Vegas playing various games of chance,,,,,, or,,,,, buy a Durant money pit and have the time or your life and meet all kinds of great people. At least you have something to show for your expenditures!!

Where Are You From? Texarkana, TX

Do You own a car built by Durant? Several

art...call me to talk about n.c. show plans
...gary k....610-256-3255 or home at 610-279-3116

Where Are You From? Penna

Do You own a car built by Durant? star trg

The Durant Motors Automobile Club