Durant Motors Internet Forum

Our Purpose

Preserve the automobiles manufactured by the Durant Motor Company, provide enjoyment for each member with meets, tours & technical assistance.

This forum is provided by the Durant Motors Automobile Club located at durantmotors.org

How to Add Pictures             Rocky

For Sale & Wanted
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Need bumper for a 28 or possibly 29 durant.

I realized recently the parts for my bumper were not to be found with my car. The bumper on the back is very similar to the style of the bumper on the 1929 Durant rather than the 28. I think it's most likely this did come with a 29 bumper as this car was near the end of production for the 28's, and had several of the features that came on the 29 version.

my rear bumpers are similar to the front bumper on this 29:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/e/ef/'29_Durant_Sedan_(Byward_Auto_Classic).jpg

If anyone has one of these, please let me know? Thanks!
Gerald.

Where Are You From? Langley BC

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1928 Durant M2

Re: Need bumper for a 28 or possibly 29 durant.

Hi Gerald .. what do you think your bumpers looked like ? Looking in photos part of site there appears to be a variety of bumpers and bumper medallions for the M2. Durantcars doesn't help either.

The 1929 60 you are referring to in your posting belongs to Steve Mercier here in Ottawa. Someone took its pic a number of years back and put it in Wiki without his knowledge. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Durant_Motors
The pic above that is not a 28 and a rodded car with 30 - 32 body, Ford A bumper ?, 618 perhaps rad shell, and crest off a 28 / 29. Ah had to refresh my memory and both pics are entered by Bull-Dozer .. he's a young lad in Montreal in his 20's who takes car pics.

Whoever stuck the same car in Wiki with wrong info ?? Durant Motors wasn't 26 - 31 nor is this a touring car 1926 etc. That's the problem with Wiki and anyone can put rubbish in it. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Durant_Touring_Car

Oddly enough that's one item the after market catalogues do not mention at all US and ours makes mention of only a front single bar with dip in center but no model. Its in the accessory part very last page on the 35 catalogue but gone in later ones. Pity our catalogues didn't have them and broken down by model like most of the parts.

Any thought your car might not have had bumpers orig and someone added them ? 1930 - 31 407 didn't from factory to save buyers money but could be added later. That's what happened to a 1930 407 above Ottawa and later someone put 29 Chevy ones on it. Then another thought, US versus Can and were same bumpers used both sides of the border ? We often used different parts on same models.

Where Are You From? Ottawa Ont

Do You own a car built by Durant? Dominion built 1932 614 Sedan

Hi Norm,

I have no idea of the bumper is the original. I do know the car was taken apart at some point to be overhauled. The shop working on it went bankrupt and the person had to pick up the car in pieces and put it back together, it's possible that the bumper isn't the same, no way for me to know. However, here is a picture of the back bumper, and what I have of the front. I don't know what it is that is supposed to attach to what is there.

photo Bumper.jpg

photo bumper2.jpg

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1928 Durant M2

Hey Gerald .. will email you on catch up. Look at DMAC photos Durant 1928 M2 of Jorge Flores leather back coach. Hit the pic of the front bumper and it will bring up a set of four of the pics. You can enlarge once more. That J bar you have in the front is in backwards. Opening in the end is for the bumper bolt for the two cross bars and hole in the J curve is for the bumper medallion. So you have at least part of your front bumper. Off hand without seeing Jorge's and Steve's, I would think you have similar bumper bars. Other pics in photos of M2's have a ridged like bumper bars.
Just as an after thought I wonder if Frank's two reprinted manuals covering Repair Parts List for Durant and Star (127 pages) M, M2, M4 and 40 or Repair manual (114 pages)for C, CC, F, M, M2, M4, both illustrated, might give a clue. First is $30 plus $10 shipping, 2nd is $25 plus $10 shipping, I assume US $.
I haven't seen Claude Lavoie's 1928 60 built in Elizabeth plant, he picked up in the US and just finished restoring but it seems to have same style bumper bars as yours and Steve's but different medallions and end curves. Steve's has the D type medallion and Claude's has a sort of sideways bowtie. Greg Wellner's M2 in photo's has same bowtie type.
Its the bar spacing and end curves that have me wondering if yours might be as you say the start of the 1929 design. Here's the back of Steve's 60 the day he brought it home. Yes taillight lense was upside down but reversed now. Luckily the bumpers were both with his but not on the car. Bars seem the same as yours but slightly further apart on yours. Illusion ? Could be they used the earlier backing bars on yours which were wider but current outside bars that didn't curve as much on the ends. Jack and I discovered they did the same thing with the Can 32 bumpers. 32 is single bar front and back, but they used the 30 - 31 twin bar backing bars. Different medallions for the 32 and totally different then the US 31 619 with single bar but ends closed, ours open. Nothing cut and dried about our cars nor set in stone.

1929 60 photo Steves1929Durant10-1.jpg

Typing on a phone so will be brief until tonight. Yes mine are further apart on the rear bumper. There is a thick 3? Inch or so piece of metal between the bars. Anyone out there have the front bumper that would match the bars I have in front?

Do You own a car built by Durant? Yes 28 M2

It would seem then you have the earlier backing bars and 29 front bars. Be the same as Steve's 60, or Dan Brueggenjohann 40 front bars in photos.
That front J bar you have should be same width for front and back between the outer bars.

The Durant Motors Automobile Club