Durant Motors Internet Forum

Our Purpose

Preserve the automobiles manufactured by the Durant Motor Company, provide enjoyment for each member with meets, tours & technical assistance.

This forum is provided by the Durant Motors Automobile Club located at durantmotors.org

How to Add Pictures             Rocky

For Sale & Wanted
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Older Durant Rad - online ad posting - very clean looking

I'm on an internet crawl for durant parts so I am posting things I come across in my travels.

http://edmonton.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicles-auto-parts-tires-engine-engine-parts-Antique-radiator-W0QQAdIdZ485869989

Clean, old looking rad, they are asking 95$. Not sure what it comes out of though. They believe it was a Durant. It's an older ad, but they might still have it.

Where Are You From? Langley BC, Canada

Do You own a car built by Durant? Yes - 1928 Durant M2

Re: Older Durant Rad - online ad posting - very clean looking

Not recognizing it as any 28 / 29 Durant / Rugby rad shell. The ones in DMAC photos and Terry's site all have the flat area drop down for the crest. This crest would curl with the shell. Crank hole as well ?

Almost 26 /27 Locomobile shaped and high rad neck. Perhaps Lance might know.

Says Edmonton but Kijiji has Kitchener Area > Kitchener Area > Stratford listing ... Listowel, ON phone info 519 291 8028

Where Are You From? Ottawa Ont

Do You own a car built by Durant? Dominion built 1932 614 Sedan

Thanks for the reply,

Just thought I would say hello.
I'm doing a lot of part searching lately, so posting a lot of the searches I find here. It's hard to post everything, so if you know anyone looking for something, let me know and I will email you if I come across it.

Gerald

Where Are You From? Langley BC

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1928 Durant M2

Hi Gerald ... Have a few parts I am looking for myself, for the 32. Unknown how many Dominion cars even left Ont, then add very very few still exist today. So the finding any of the parts is like finding the Grail. You can imagine buying an orig rad cap after 50 years at Shannonville DMAC meet last year, from Gord Curl. No its not all shiny but it is 30 - 32 cap finally. Doesn't make our cars worth any more than the rest of the Durant empire of cars, just harder to find the parts.

There are more pre 30 cars and parts surviving than post 29, as Durant Motors gradually quits making cars in the US. Elizabeth plant gone end of 1929, Oakland 1930, Lansing mid summer 1931. Leaside bought and switched to Dominion Mar 1931 and we continued to make the Durant for Durant Motors using up US parts, but adding some of our own instead. However Durant, Devaux, Continental, and Dominion Motors are very much welded to one another and using each others parts / sheet metal to the end.

Yes I see what you mean poking in Kijiji and all the items / cars there. Again with age and lack of knowledge most vendors have no idea what they are selling. See that all the time where they just add a bunch of car names trying to guess (on Kijiji ,Ebay, Craigs, list etc) or just name the part and say unknown. Its us, the owners of the cars that can identify most of the parts we need or friends need. 28 / 29 seems to be really bad with different parts on different models same year or at different plants same model.

That's how I picked up on the unknown 30 doors on Ont Kijiji as being same as mine by info given. Those will fit 30 - 32 Durant and 31 -32 Frontenac all having same bodies, that used the Budd doors. Steve (Kijiji) has posted them on here now as well at my suggestion. Seems to me I saw someone looking for doors and roof metal for a 1930 614 sedan not long ago in DMAC. Those would fit and seem in good shape. Inside handles I think are 407, not being the spear type.

Norm

Where Are You From? Ottawa Ont

Do You own a car built by Durant? Dominion built 1932 614 Sedan

I have found some of the parts I was looking for by serial number and not Durant on ebay. Certain parts vendors put up, they had no idea what they had, or what it had come from.

My Durant history was shaky at best. I knew they started going out of business in the thirties, and that even the production of cars in the 20's was no where near that of Ford. I have taken to trying to even contact photographers. I have seen pictures online of Durant's sitting in fields rusting, but some parts are still good. Recently there was a craigslist posting with a durant, likely pre-1927, sitting in a forest in the snow. some parts still look good, though probably would need some good sand blasting. The owner was going to have it towed for scrap.

I can't imagine how hard it would be to find durant 30's parts. Even with the 28 I have, not all the parts were what you would expect, for instance, I remember someone saying that it had a transmission that was used in later versions of the car. Or something to that effect.

I know of someone who is looking hard for the front right fender (passenger) for his 28' Durant.

Gerald.

Where Are You From? Langley BC

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1928 Durant M2

The Durant Motors Automobile Club