Durant Motors Internet Forum

Our Purpose

Preserve the automobiles manufactured by the Durant Motor Company, provide enjoyment for each member with meets, tours & technical assistance.

This forum is provided by the Durant Motors Automobile Club located at durantmotors.org

How to Add Pictures             Rocky

For Sale & Wanted
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Water Pump Packing Nut.

Hello!

A little Christmas post! So we have been rebuilding the waterpump for this car. It's been sandblasted, the bearing was milled and shaft put in place, we have a new backing put on it as well as the thread to seal the pump, but the packing nut that goes on top of the thread seal is worn to the point where the thread won't hold. I have uploaded an image of the packing nut here.

http://www3.telus.net/public/gatsby/DSC08642.JPG

My question is this, does anyone know what type of thread this is on the packing nut? Or is there one of these packing nuts available somewhere for purchase / a parts number?

ifnot we are going to have to try to make something that will work. But would help to know what the thread is.

Thanks!

OH! also, does anyone have experience with these water pumps? I just wanted to know how easy it is to turn the shaft the impeller is on? (how easy it is supposed to be) Currently, after the packing material is put in, (but not the packing nut) it turns easily enough by hand, but there is resistance still.

(The waterpump is a W4K407G)

Where Are You From? Vancouver BC

Do You own a car built by Durant? Yes - 1928 Durant M2

Re: Water Pump Packing Nut.

Hi Gerald.....

Check with Franz. He is in Vancouver BC also.

His contact info is in the links page. Just click on Vancouver Durant Star Connection.

Frank ---

Where Are You From? Hookstown Pennsylvania

Do You own a car built by Durant? a few

The Durant Motors Automobile Club