Durant Motors Internet Forum

Our Purpose

Preserve the automobiles manufactured by the Durant Motor Company, provide enjoyment for each member with meets, tours & technical assistance.

This forum is provided by the Durant Motors Automobile Club located at durantmotors.org

How to Add Pictures             Rocky

Restoration Recommendations
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Replacing oil pan gaskets

Any hints on replacing gaskets without pulling the engine out of the car
I sure don't want to go thru that again but I have a bad leak and have to stop it. I pulled the oil pan off and found the rear gasket was not installed right ( It was in crooked and oil was pouring out at the area where it was not
in the right location. I have new gasket kit and want to get it right and without a lot of hassle. The oil pan is off so that,s a start.Next step will be removing the old gasket off the block. What kind of glue do I have to use to stick the gaskets to the block? Or do I need to stick them to the oil pan?
I see holes in the front and rear to wire the end gaskets in . Do I glue them as well??
As you can see I am kind of an amateur at this. Need all the advice I can get.

Thanks for any help .
Ken

Where Are You From? Kamloops B C Canada

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1930 deluxe rumble seat coupe -Model 6 14

Re: Replacing oil pan gaskets

It doesn,t look like I have any help here --Guess I just go ahead and do the best I can with what I have. Sure hope it works out or I gonna sell everything as is and quit .I,m getting to old and discouraged .Time to give it to the grandson and take a good holiday .
Ken

ken; I use Olson's gaskets in port orchards, wa. Phone #360-871-1207. They have been doing gaskets for years. Give them your info and they will sent you one out really quick.

Where Are You From? calif

Do You own a car built by Durant? 24 flint/27 loco 8-80

Thanks Mike --I got the gaskets. Just having trouble getting them on and keeping them straight when I put the pan back on --seems like the end pieces always slip and then it leaks - Tried three times now. Getting to be a quick job since I have done it so often . Maybe this time it will go on right.
Ken

I use 3M trim adhesive. (Yellow) squeeze a bead and let it tack up. Put the gasket on and repeat the process for the top of the gasket.
You will call me bad names if you ever pull the pan again but it won't leak!

The Durant Motors Automobile Club